The holiday thread

Where goats go to escape
handyman

What are you up to this holiday?

I'm working, only at home on the public holidays. Been like that for the last decade.
Springboks, Stormers and WP supporter.
assfly

Sweet f-all planned. Just keeping it local with a couple of visits to the national parks.
Sandstorm

2 weeks in Remain-here
OomStruisbaai

Stucked in Struisbaai
Sandstorm

OomStruisbaai wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:11 pm Stuck in Struisbaai
Shame

SaintK

Sandstorm wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:23 pm
Shame

Lucky bastard :thumbup:
Niegs

Nada, so far. Have moved across country to start a career change, no family here. Friends will likely invite me to something (landlords already have said I'm welcome to join their family dinner), but family dramas during several recent Christmases have really killed my joy for this time of year.
FalseBayFC

Cancelled all my plans for travelling to KZN because family up there is full of the Covid. So heading to Yzerfontein on the West Coast with the in-laws. My cleanfather has a boat and I'll join the hordes trying to pick up a kob. Or maybe a shark at Spreeuwalle.
Thor Sedan

3rd attempt to get to NZ for Christmas has been firmly face planted again due to quarantine facility non availability.

Really worried that I'll not be able to get the kids over there in time to celebrate a Kiwi Christmas with their Grandparents......they are at that age where they jokingly say 'best enjoy it, probably be my last' - but I'm not laughing. Really hope we can get there next year.
OomStruisbaai

SaintK wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:53 pm
Shame

I am waiting for you. :grin:

The weather are so shite. Can't get to the beach.
Slick

Thor Sedan wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:07 pm 3rd attempt to get to NZ for Christmas has been firmly face planted again due to quarantine facility non availability.

Really worried that I'll not be able to get the kids over there in time to celebrate a Kiwi Christmas with their Grandparents......they are at that age where they jokingly say 'best enjoy it, probably be my last' - but I'm not laughing. Really hope we can get there next year.
Ahh tough times mate, hope it works itself out
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Ymx

Thor Sedan wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:07 pm 3rd attempt to get to NZ for Christmas has been firmly face planted again due to quarantine facility non availability.

Yeah, just happened to me. Daughter won’t ever see grand pop again.
Ymx

OomStruisbaai wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:05 pm
SaintK wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:53 pm

Shame

I am waiting for you. :grin:

The weather are so shite. Can't get to the beach.
Mate, you’re talking to us here in a UK dark winter. I’m pretty sure your version of shite weather wouldn’t be so bad.
OomStruisbaai

My sister's kid and wife planned to visit me over the new year from the UK. Their flight has been cancelled after the red Omicron listing. Now their tickets cost double after its been lifted. Hope he can afford it. Will be nice to see him and his Romanian wife.
Ovals

We're fortunate that nearly all our family are all local. So, we'll be spending it with our 2 kids and our 6 Grandkids (ranging from 1 year old to 15 years old) - as long as no one catches Covid between now and then. I also have 3 sisters and lots of nieces/nephews in the area and a brother in London - we'll probably see some of them as well.

Love Xmas - especially when there's plenty of kids to share it with. They're growing up fast though, so have to make the most of it whilst they are young and still find it all magical.
Slick

Ymx wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:18 pm

Sorry to hear that mate, really harsh
Slick

We’ll be heading down south in a couple of days to my mums and my sisters family, will all be very nice.

Unfortunately the parents in law, who are dicks, have cancelled their plans to be away so are sniffing out an invite on Christmas Day. Really don’t want them there but I know I’ll crumble..
Calculon

:sad:
Thor Sedan

Ah man....that is awful. :sad:
Ymx

Sorry guys, didn’t mean to ruin the holiday thread. But thanks.

I’m grateful dad passed before suffering any more, and he just avoided the suffering of having to watch the Ireland and France games. Loved his rugby.
OomStruisbaai

Ymx wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:45 pm Sorry guys, didn’t mean to ruin the holiday thread. But thanks.

I’m grateful dad passed before suffering any more, and he just avoided the suffering of having to watch the Ireland and France games. Loved his rugby.
No problem Boet. Christmas time always have a bit of a sad feeling, thinking back of love ones lost.

RIP to your dad.
Chilli

Ymx wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:45 pm Sorry guys, didn’t mean to ruin the holiday thread. But thanks.

RIP
Chilli

Hotel & restaurant fully booked, so no rest for the wicked.
OomStruisbaai

Struisbaai is very busy now. Frustrating for us locals to stand in long queues

We have our church bazaar from wednesday to next week Tuesday. Ma bake pan cakes and mince jafels and I am the runner. Bakboord na stuurboord.

Like tradition there are food like pan cakes Curry and rice, curry vet koeke, Jeffels, triffel pudding, wilds pies and vaal or kerrie afval. Which I love.

Koningskos every day.
FalseBayFC

Condolences Boet! I think my greatest memories of my dad are watching rugby with him. He's still around but when I look back that's what I remember. Neither of us are emotionally expressive people but we both let it rip while watching a tense rugby match.
Slick

FalseBayFC wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:47 am

Condolences Boet! I think my greatest memories of my dad are watching rugby with him. He's still around but when I look back that's what I remember. Neither of us are emotionally expressive people but we both let it rip while watching a tense rugby match.
Yup. Almost all my great memories of dad revolve around rugby in some shape or form, very grateful for that and it’s the reason I so desperately want my son and daughter to enjoy the game, even if it’s just to sit next to their old man at Murrayfield as they grow up
Uncle fester

Working right up to xmas eve.
On call xmas day and Stephens day.
Restart plant 27th or 28th. Off until 6th Jan but need to come in to restart plant on 3rd Jan and will get called anyway if there's any emergencies.

Yeah, it's a bit shit being involved in medical oxygen right now.
Calculon

OomStruisbaai wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:35 am Struisbaai is very busy now. Frustrating for us locals to stand in long queues

We have our church bazaar from wednesday to next week Tuesday. Ma bake pan cakes and mince jafels and I am the runner. Bakboord na stuurboord.

Like tradition there are food like pan cakes Curry and rice, curry vet koeke, Jeffels, triffel pudding, wilds pies and vaal or kerrie afval. Which I love.

Koningskos every day.
Wdf is 'n Jeffel?
Chilli

Calculon wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:50 am
OomStruisbaai wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:35 am Struisbaai is very busy now. Frustrating for us locals to stand in long queues

Koningskos every day.
Wdf is 'n Jeffel?
Jaffel.
FalseBayFC

Coach Rassie being dignified during his ban. Enjoying Dezemba holidays.

OomStruisbaai

Chilli wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:26 am
Calculon wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:50 am

Koningskos every day.
Wdf is 'n Jeffel?
Jaffel.
We had a record day. Over R12,000 only jaffels sold @ R20 = over 600.
Calculon

Wat sit jy in die jaffals?
OomStruisbaai

Calculon wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:13 pm Wat sit jy in die jaffals?
Savoury mince.
Calculon

Lekker
Sards

FalseBayFC wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:03 pm Cancelled all my plans for travelling to KZN because family up there is full of the Covid. So heading to Yzerfontein on the West Coast with the in-laws. My cleanfather has a boat and I'll join the hordes trying to pick up a kob. Or maybe a shark at Spreeuwalle.
Snoek and yellow tail at Yzerfontain.

Fished There a few times with my boat. It's a long pull to sit in a que to launch your boat. Can get the same launching from Oceanic and working Robben Island.

You would get kob on the line at Langebaan. Only got kob there first and last light. Other than that it's just Stumpies.
Got pajama Sharks off Spreeuwalle.

Not going anywhere yet. Have family down and the weather is great so kids are beaching it. House is full. Have my kids mate over the last few days. Came for a visit and hasn't left. Been catching up on home maintenance mind. Loooooonnnng list to get through.
OomStruisbaai

Today is my last day of jaffals. Then it's Christmas and New Year time. We got a big traditional Christmas meal with the neighbour's coming up. Gammon, skaapboud, beef, ext.

Then it's packing time for the Groot Trek.

Weather is a bit better.
Openside

Sorry to hear that. Best wishes for Christmas.
Openside

Meant to be skiing in Italy on 2nd Jan - I sneakily hope it gets cancelled as I really can't be doing with all the endless testing.
Calculon

Maybe going to Uzbekistan, if I can get everything sorted.
TheFrog

Flying to France today, amid more and more travel restrictions.

Just hoping that Sleepy Joe won't close the door behind me.