The holiday thread

Where goats go to escape
Biffer

Short break to Loch Fyne next weekend for the brewery's festival. Forecast looks good, camping out the back of the brewery, couple of hundred beers available, weather forecast good, some of the bands look good fun, looking forward to it
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
inactionman

Took the kids down to York to meet some old friends and their boys.

I'd forgotten how pretty the place is, although the Yorvik centre is not as good as I remember it. I promised my youngest vikings and she is feeling distinctly short-changed.
GogLais

EnergiseR2 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:16 am
GogLais wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:10 pm Seems a bit morbid having death notices and when to view the body on local radio. Different culture of course. And is there some Irish thing about diluting your whiskey with what looks like huge amounts of water?
We love a good death.

Water in whiskey was probably the oul lads having to tamp down the alcohol vibe as they were drinking them as chasers with pints. On a normal day a working man could have three or four pints and chasers. These days putting water in whiskey is mad fashionable with tastes etc so the oul lads were onto something
These were putting so much water in it seemed like whiskey homeopathy.
Biffer

Water in whisky is absolutely right, but it's just a splash to wake it up. No ice,thats the action of a man who doesn't like the taste.
dpedin

dpedin wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:02 am
dpedin wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:21 am My son, his girlfriend and her father along with a couple of friends are doing the 3 Peaks Challenge - Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis in 24 hours - this weekend coming. They are doing an annual challenge in memory of her mother who died suddenly a couple of years ago. They first challenge was cycling Lands End to John O'Groats in 12 days last summer which they achieved. They have been training for the last few months regularly walking/running up Ben Vorlich, Ben Chonzie, etc, doing night walks, orienteering courses, etc. Needless to say they are pretty fit but it all depends on weather and traffic. Fingers crossed. Raising money for charity and last year hit c£15k, a more modest target this year has already been hit.
Snowdon and Scafell Pike done in good times yesterday. They are currently (as at 8am Monday) doing Ben Nevis and I dont think the weather is wonderful for them. Hopefully will make the 24 hour target safely .....
Completed the Challenge in just under 23 hours! Sore legs and sleep deprivation takes it toll but a happy gang. Well chuffed for them and proud.
Blackmac

Good for them. Another great achievement.
Sandstorm

EnergiseR2 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:08 pm Most houses would have had a jug for it and they would be all along the bars when I was young.

Those fellas and yeah they were very generous with the water. Weirdly, and I used to do it, having whiskey on the rocks was seen as something lady men and tanned effete foreigners would do
Jameson’s isn’t spoiled or improved by adding water.
GogLais

I never knew there were so many types of Irish and the one that’s 28€ a shot must be pretty good. That’s in a local pub, not some glitzy hotel bar.
laurent

GogLais wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:01 pm I never knew there were so many types of Irish and the one that’s 28€ a shot must be pretty good. That’s in a local pub, not some glitzy hotel bar.
All the big names are Pernod Ricard or Diageo however the smaller distilleries are a lot more common now.
mat the expat

Just booked a week in Parga - I'm the best man at my mate's wedding there.

Haven't actually been to Greece before - I spend most of my holidats in Oz flying back to visit places in Europe :crazy:

Will have a few weeks in the West Country as well - catching up with my Mum and Brother who I've not seen since 2019 (Covid :bimbo: ).

Looking to drink a lot of real Ale :crazy:
dpedin

Biffer wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:01 pm Water in whisky is absolutely right, but it's just a splash to wake it up. No ice,thats the action of a man who doesn't like the taste.
Agreed 100% - a wee splash of water.

My snobby choice is a large single malt such as 10 yo Laphroaig or Highland Park in a Star of Edinburgh crystal whisky glass with a splash of cold soft Edinburgh tap water.
mat the expat

dpedin wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:22 am
Biffer wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:01 pm Water in whisky is absolutely right, but it's just a splash to wake it up. No ice,thats the action of a man who doesn't like the taste.
Agreed 100% - a wee splash of water.

My snobby choice is a large single malt such as 10 yo Laphroaig or Highland Park in a Star of Edinburgh crystal whisky glass with a splash of cold soft Edinburgh tap water.
I recently was educated in this method by a friend - enjoying lots more now
Paddington Bear

Managed to convince one of my relatives to let me use his cottage up near Mallaig for a week in August. Going to do some long day walks and some Munro bagging.

How busy does Skye get in holiday season? As would rather not spend half a day trying to find somewhere to park/in traffic etc. I’ve been before so it’s more about maybe a day going up the Cuillin/another heading to Loch Coruisk over the bad step (i.e stuff the future Mrs PB flatly refused!)

Is Knoydart worth an overnight stay? Will definitely go up Ladhar Bheinn but wondering if it’s worth a second day wandering around.

And if you could do a day trip to one of the small isles, which would you recommend? I’m leaning toward Rum
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Biffer

Paddington Bear wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:04 pm Managed to convince one of my relatives to let me use his cottage up near Mallaig for a week in August. Going to do some long day walks and some Munro bagging.

How busy does Skye get in holiday season? As would rather not spend half a day trying to find somewhere to park/in traffic etc. I’ve been before so it’s more about maybe a day going up the Cuillin/another heading to Loch Coruisk over the bad step (i.e stuff the future Mrs PB flatly refused!)

Is Knoydart worth an overnight stay? Will definitely go up Ladhar Bheinn but wondering if it’s worth a second day wandering around.

And if you could do a day trip to one of the small isles, which would you recommend? I’m leaning toward Rum
Skye can be very busy
Biffer

Just back from four days camping at the back of the brewery at the head of Loch Fyne. Beer festival, bands, beautiful weather, just a wonderful weekend.
Dinsdale Piranha

Biffer wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:50 pm Just back from four days camping at the back of the brewery at the head of Loch Fyne. Beer festival, bands, beautiful weather, just a wonderful weekend.
If I hadn't had a memorial service to attend I would have been there. Maybe next year.
Uncle fester

In London for the week. Starting in Windsor.
Done legoland and Harry Potter studios. Tomorrow it's central London and Thursday, Chessington.

Windsor is hella expensive.
Slick

Paddington Bear wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:04 pm Managed to convince one of my relatives to let me use his cottage up near Mallaig for a week in August. Going to do some long day walks and some Munro bagging.

It gets really busy, but it’s kind of “Scotland busy” so not insane. We popped over for a day last time we were up that way and just felt a bit disappointed having had beaches to ourselves all week and suddenly being in massive trains of cars.

Any of the islands would be great to be honest.

A night having a few beers at The Forge in Knoydart is still a pretty iconic experience imo
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
GogLais

Going to Derby next week.
Biffer

GogLais wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:26 am Going to Derby next week.
I'm in Basingstoke for a couple of days.
Uncle fester

EnergiseR2 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:14 pm
Uncle fester wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:19 pm In London for the week. Starting in Windsor.
Done legoland and Harry Potter studios. Tomorrow it's central London and Thursday, Chessington.

Windsor is hella expensive.
Harry Potter is better than it should be. Whoever put it together deserves a big pay rise
Agreed. The two young lads were ecstatic and you know what, adults enjoyed it too.
Gumboot

The sprog and I really enjoyed our holiday in the States. Fascinating place. Will return.
Paddington Bear

Slick wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:57 am

It gets really busy, but it’s kind of “Scotland busy” so not insane. We popped over for a day last time we were up that way and just felt a bit disappointed having had beaches to ourselves all week and suddenly being in massive trains of cars.

A night having a few beers at The Forge in Knoydart is still a pretty iconic experience imo
Biffer wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:48 pm Skye can be very busy
Thanks both - I'm leaning towards maybe only one day over on Skye because of this to spend more time away from people. Supposedly the Old Forge is reopening under community ownership imminently.
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
GogLais

Biffer wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:28 am
I’m envious.
Biffer

GogLais wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:28 pm
I’m envious.
Not sure envious is entirely the right word but I'm definitely in a better situation than you. Like I'm standing in shit up to my neck when you're in it to your nostrils.
Slick

Paddington Bear wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:25 am
Slick wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:57 am

Biffer wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:48 pm Skye can be very busy
Thanks both - I'm leaning towards maybe only one day over on Skye because of this to spend more time away from people. Supposedly the Old Forge is reopening under community ownership imminently.
I thought it already had but could be wrong
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Sandstorm

Good Nandos. Also the M3 out of there is right on your doorstep.
Enzedder

Just finished booking a winter holiday down south - mountains and glaciers by helicopter in winter should be awesome.

Doing all the lake and harbour cruises as well. Real old gits stuff.
I drink and I forget things.
Uncle fester

Enzedder wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:36 pm Just finished booking a winter holiday down south - mountains and glaciers by helicopter in winter should be awesome.

Queenstown?
Gumboot

Enzedder wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:36 pm Just finished booking a winter holiday down south - mountains and glaciers by helicopter in winter should be awesome.

:thumbup:

Such a beautiful part of the world.
C69

In Crete atm. 36 degrees Centigrade and quite humid.
The continuous noise of the Cicada is hypnotic.
GogLais

Biffer wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:35 pm
GogLais wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:28 pm

I’m envious.
Not sure envious is entirely the right word but I'm definitely in a better situation than you. Like I'm standing in shit up to my neck when you're in it to your nostrils.
Derby ok actually. The city itself is enough for a day - pubs and Museum of Making and we did old people’s things Kedleston Hall NT and The Heights of Abraham. The latter was far smarter and less tacky than I thought it would be.
Florence and Siena last week good but hot and sticky. At least I got the Uffizi off my bucket list.
And in a couple of weeks a few days in a caravan in Botwnnog, living the dream. A chance to siarad some Cymraeg and a trip to Bardsey Island.
Dinsdale Piranha

C69 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:17 pm In Crete atm. 36 degrees Centigrade and quite humid.
Always enjoyed Crete. Last time I was there - over 40 years ago, nowhere had aircon. I hope that has changed. I remember the cicadas vividly.
C69

Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:33 pm
C69 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:17 pm In Crete atm. 36 degrees Centigrade and quite humid.
Always enjoyed Crete. Last time I was there - over 40 years ago, nowhere had aircon. I hope that has changed. I remember the cicadas vividly.
Couldn't function without AC.
vball

Just booked 4 days at Elephant Plains in Sabi Sands Kruger for Sept. Went twice to Chobe River last year with Pangolin Safaris and they were outstanding. Just hope we get some good photos at Elephant Plains.
Romans said ....Illegitimi non carborundum --- Today we say .. WTF
Paddington Bear

Did the West Highland Way this week on something of the spur of the moment - done in 4.5 days.
Hell of an experience, stunning scenery, well waymarked etc, and would recommend to anyone. Similarly would recommend how I got home on the Sleeper - watching the last couple of hours of daylight pass on the West Highland Line whilst having a beer and some food, chatting with strangers before waking up in London is quite the experience in of itself.

The process of drying my clothes/kit seems likely to enter a second day!
C69

Paddington Bear wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:06 pm Did the West Highland Way this week on something of the spur of the moment - done in 4.5 days.
Hell of an experience, stunning scenery, well waymarked etc, and would recommend to anyone. Similarly would recommend how I got home on the Sleeper - watching the last couple of hours of daylight pass on the West Highland Line whilst having a beer and some food, chatting with strangers before waking up in London is quite the experience in of itself.

Hope you enjoyed it :thumbup:
How were the midges?
Paddington Bear

C69 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:12 pm
Paddington Bear wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:06 pm Did the West Highland Way this week on something of the spur of the moment - done in 4.5 days.

Hope you enjoyed it :thumbup:
How were the midges?
Quite genuinely non-existent, even in Glen Coe. Can't believe my luck really.
Torquemada 1420

Was there a couple of weeks ago.

Hope you took some time to go up to the plateau
Ymx

In Formentera (island just south of Ibiza) at the moment. Hotel on beach. It’s lovely. A family favourite.

South part of the island on beach Playa Migjorn

Temp is 28 pretty much every day. Lovely med sea.