The Travel Thread

Where goats go to escape
iarmhí

Any good staycations planned this year folks?
lemonhead

Need out of UK if they open up those air corridors.

Sussing out Montenegro back in January but might just spazz out on food/drink and €2 caipirinhas again (Porto).
iarmhí

Looking like Killarney for me. Like the childhood days cycling through Gap of Dunloe and the black valley
C69

Not going abroad this year. Still waiting for my money back from a cancelled trip to New York.
Going to the Lakes for a couple of days this weekend and I imagine I will spend a lot of the summer walking and open swimming.
iarmhí

Sometimes a holiday at home is every bit as good
Gumboot

Bump.

I like lakes. Was planning on going to Baikal later in the year, but obviously current circumstances have ruled that out. So I've been thinking about maybe spending a week at Titicaca instead, as part of a longer SA trip.

Would love to hear from anyone who's been there... :smile:
duke

Was due to be back on the Caledonian Canal next week but one of the lock gates between Loch Ness and Loch Oich is still being repaired so have delayed that trip til next year. Spending a week in Devon instead.
Kawazaki

I'm going to North Wales next month in the May half-term. Any kid-friendly suggestions from the forum Taffs?
Slick

Going to France then Mull over the summer.

Big trip to Oz booked for Christmas and New Year with a stop in Bangkok on the way back
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
C69

Going up to Edinburgh in August for a weel staying in an AirbnB in Leith near Brittania. Oh am taking the dog as well.
Any suggestions from the boreds Jocks would be welcome.
Guy Smiley

I’m in Thailand now, have been for 3 weeks.

A bit more documentation needed for this trip, naturally. AIrNZ prompted me while booking (online) to download the IATA travel pass app. That coordinates my Covid docs with my airline booking so I know what I need for each flight. Had to have my vaccination certificates (all three) along with details like PCR test result, passport and travel insurance. Thailand has a controlled entry system depending on where you’re from, planning to go and the nature of your stay. The islands and Pattaya have a ‘Sandbox’ system I didn’t explore. I used their ‘Test and Go’ option… that required me to book with a registered hotel that picked me up at the airport and took me directly to the hotel where I had a PCR test done. You book a 24 hour stay at the hotel and they have the result to you in about 8 hours. Once clear you’re free to go. I’ve spent most of the time at the in-laws place in a small village 4 hours north of BKK, in Rolling farmland.

Fuck it’s good to be out😂👍
GogLais

Kawazaki wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:02 am I'm going to North Wales next month in the May half-term. Any kid-friendly suggestions from the forum Taffs?
Approx what age?
Paddington Bear

Argyll in a couple of weeks then Sark in mid-summer. Have to say not getting to Sark since covid has been the worst part of it for me, cannot wait to get back.
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
robmatic

Gumboot wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:12 am Bump.

I like lakes. Was planning on going to Baikal later in the year, but obviously current circumstances have ruled that out. So I've been thinking about maybe spending a week at Titicaca instead, as part of a longer SA trip.

Would love to hear from anyone who's been there... :smile:
We spent a few days on the Peruvian side there about 6/7 years ago. Puno isn't particularly nice, but you can have a nice couple of days visiting the islands (both the floating ones and the real ones).
Slick

C69 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:01 am Going up to Edinburgh in August for a weel staying in an AirbnB in Leith near Brittania. Oh am taking the dog as well.
For the festival?

Anyway, 3 days in Edinburgh then get a car and head north.
lemonhead

Wedding I'm trying to get to in Sicily midsummer but assuming we've money for a holiday will go for Sardinia in September.

First time with baby so Alghero's pretty family friendly.
Kawazaki

GogLais wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:46 am
Kawazaki wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:02 am I'm going to North Wales next month in the May half-term. Any kid-friendly suggestions from the forum Taffs?
Approx what age?

6 and 11, both girls. :shock: :wink:
Paddington Bear

C69 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:01 am Going up to Edinburgh in August for a weel staying in an AirbnB in Leith near Brittania. Oh am taking the dog as well.
The new Johnnie Walker experience is actually really good fun, even if you're not a big whisky man.
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
GogLais

Kawazaki wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:03 am
Approx what age?

Nothing secret that you wouldn’t find on Google but …
Llandudno has a little pier and you can go up the Great Orme headland by funicular and cable car. Not sure - there might be a traditional Punch and Judy sometimes.
Conwy has the castle and walls and is a nice little town as well.
Ditto for Beaumaris with boat trips from the pier. There’s a butterfly place by Menai Bridge called Pili Palas but I’ve never been there. The Sea Zoo on Anglesey is really good. Fine beaches at Llanddwyn and Rhosneigr.
There are the well known narrow gauge railways. Might be too old for them but there’s some sort of trampoline place in the old slate mines at Blaenau Ffestiniog.
GogLais

North Berwick for a week soon. Planning boat trip to Bass Rock, day in Edinburgh, couple of walks along the coast and in the Lammermuirs, Haddington and Lennoxlove. Anything else recommended?
Kawazaki

That looks great, thanks for taking the time to let me know! I'll let you know... :thumbup:
GogLais

Kawazaki wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:10 pm That looks great, thanks for taking the time to let me know! I'll let you know... :thumbup:
You’re welcome. Just buy plenty of beef and lamb to keep my farming relatives going.
ASMO

Heading off to the Czech Republic for a week next week, while i am gone, Enzedder is in charge, just don't let him near the codez
Slick

ASMO wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:56 pm Heading off to the Czech Republic for a week next week, while i am gone, Enzedder is in charge, just don't let him near the codez
Has this been approved?
Snooze

Well I'm heading home to NZ for a couple of weeks in mid May. Not thrilled about the 5 figure daily cases, but not sure dear ol' Mum would be too thrilled if I postponed. Haven't been back for a couple of years. I'll just wear a good mask on plane and hope for the best. Will still isolate with bro' before making contact with Mum - I think best.
Thor Sedan

Edinburgh is a bit of a nightmare during Festival time if you're not there for that specific reason. I would say throw yourself into the festival and go and see as many free shows as possible. Some absolute gems to be found.

If you're based in Leith - you could look at walking to the Crammond Causeway which is good fun - or head the other way to Portobello and maybe on to Musselburgh - get to Arthurs Seat (thinking of walks for you and the doggo).

Touristy stuff that is worth doing - The Castle (obviously), Mary King's Close (very interesting), Doune Castle for a bit of Monty Python re-enactment, some of the walking tours (especially the smaller group ones) are actually pretty interesting. Even just walking the Royal Mile with a guide uncovers numerous stories.

If you'll have access to a car then perhaps a day trip to the borders, Stirling (Bannockburn), Loch Lomond, Glasgow or St Andrews?
Marylandolorian

Bahamas first week of June
Last edited by Marylandolorian on Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jock42

Yorkshire for a few days in a fortnight, Cyprus for a wedding in September and will try to get away somewhere else dog friendly in between.
GogLais

Thor Sedan wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:04 pm
Edinburgh is a bit of a nightmare during Festival time if you're not there for that specific reason. I would say throw yourself into the festival and go and see as many free shows as possible. Some absolute gems to be found.

If you're based in Leith - you could look at walking to the Crammond Causeway which is good fun - or head the other way to Portobello and maybe on to Musselburgh - get to Arthurs Seat (thinking of walks for you and the doggo).

Touristy stuff that is worth doing - The Castle (obviously), Mary King's Close (very interesting), Doune Castle for a bit of Monty Python re-enactment, some of the walking tours (especially the smaller group ones) are actually pretty interesting. Even just walking the Royal Mile with a guide uncovers numerous stories.

If you'll have access to a car then perhaps a day trip to the borders, Stirling (Bannockburn), Loch Lomond, Glasgow or St Andrews?
We took the train to Dundee. As much as anything because I wanted to cross the Forth and Tyne bridges but it was worth it anyway. V&A worth seeing if you’re into that sort of thing and Scott’s ship Discovery is there.

But best of all that’s where I first encountered a macaroni pie. Or is it McAroni?
Slick

GogLais wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:45 pm North Berwick for a week soon. Planning boat trip to Bass Rock, day in Edinburgh, couple of walks along the coast and in the Lammermuirs, Haddington and Lennoxlove. Anything else recommended?
That probably covers much of it. Some cracking beaches along that coast if the weather is nice. The wee lobster hut in the harbour is great for lunch.
GogLais

Slick wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:10 pm
GogLais wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:45 pm North Berwick for a week soon. Planning boat trip to Bass Rock, day in Edinburgh, couple of walks along the coast and in the Lammermuirs, Haddington and Lennoxlove. Anything else recommended?
That probably covers much of it. Some cracking beaches along that coast if the weather is nice. The wee lobster hut in the harbour is great for lunch.
Ta, we’ll definitely go there.
Yr Alban

GogLais wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:42 pm

Approx what age?

Llandudno has a little pier and you can go up the Great Orme headland by funicular and cable car. Not sure - there might be a traditional Punch and Judy sometimes.
Ditto for Beaumaris with boat trips from the pier. There’s a butterfly place by Menai Bridge called Pili Palas but I’ve never been there. The Sea Zoo on Anglesey is really good. Fine beaches at Llanddwyn and Rhosneigr.
There are the well known narrow gauge railways. Might be too old for them but there’s some sort of trampoline place in the old slate mines at Blaenau Ffestiniog.
The trampoline place used to be called Bounce Below - may be part of Zip World now? I haven’t been there though.

I recommend Bodnant Garden in the Conwy valley - lovely for a walk with kids.

The Welsh Mountain Zoo in Colwyn Bay is worth a visit. Gog mentions Pili Palas which is good for kids as well.

RSPB centres in Conwy and South Stack on Anglesey.

Newborough Beach on Anglesey is lovely - both for the beach and the surrounding forest.

You can get the train up Snowdon from Llanberis, and walk back down again if you choose.

Edit - can’t believe I forgot Greenwood Forest Park! My boys are too old for it now, but your girls are exactly the right age. https://www.greenwoodfamilypark.co.uk/
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
GogLais

Yr Alban wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:17 pm

The trampoline place used to be called Bounce Below - may be part of Zip World now? I haven’t been there though.

The Welsh Mountain Zoo in Colwyn Bay is worth a visit. Gog mentions Pili Palas which is good for kids as well.

Newborough Beach on Anglesey is lovely - both for the beach and the surrounding forest.

You can get the train up Snowdon from Llanberis, and walk back down again if you choose.

Edit - can’t believe I forgot Greenwood Forest Park! My boys are too old for it now, but your girls are exactly the right age. https://www.greenwoodfamilypark.co.uk/
I think there’s a zip at Blaenau but Zip World might be the bloody terrifying one by Bethesda. Speaking of Blaenau, they were doing 4x4 trips to the heights behind the quarries. I fancy that if they’re still running.
Yr Alban

GogLais wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:26 pm

I think there’s a zip at Blaenau but Zip World might be the bloody terrifying one by Bethesda. Speaking of Blaenau, they were doing 4x4 trips to the heights behind the quarries. I fancy that if they’re still running.
Zip World is a larger concern now! Three sites - Penrhyn Quarry by Bethesda, Llechwedd (the one at Blaenau) and Fforest down by Betws-y-Coed. They all have different things,. Llechwedd is the one with Bounce Below. https://www.zipworld.co.uk/
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
GogLais

Yr Alban wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:34 pm
GogLais wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:26 pm

Zip World is a larger concern now! Three sites - Penrhyn Quarry by Bethesda, Llechwedd (the one at Blaenau) and Fforest down by Betws-y-Coed. They all have different things,. Llechwedd is the one with Bounce Below. https://www.zipworld.co.uk/
Good, the sort of tourism the area needs. Quite amusing that the area got World Heritage status just as Liverpool lost it.
OomStruisbaai

Approx what age?

OK now I understand where your tantrums come from. :angel:
Kiwias

Snooze wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:35 pm Well I'm heading home to NZ for a couple of weeks in mid May. Not thrilled about the 5 figure daily cases, but not sure dear ol' Mum would be too thrilled if I postponed. Haven't been back for a couple of years. I'll just wear a good mask on plane and hope for the best. Will still isolate with bro' before making contact with Mum - I think best.
I'm looking at heading home there later in the year, for three weeks, but my brother in Melbourne just went back for a visit and tested +ve at the airport on arrrival, and while in isolation his daughter in law and whole family in Wellington caught the Rona, meanwhile in Auckland my granddaughter was just confirmed +ve.
mat the expat

Yr Alban wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:34 pm

I love their policy of locals for jobs as well.

The Llechwedd one is perfect for North Wales - weatherproof!
mat the expat

Bangkok for a long weekend of martial arts training in May - first time out of Oz since March 2020

Hopefully Japan in October, if restrictions there ease
Kiwias

mat the expat wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:57 am Bangkok for a long weekend of martial arts training in May - first time out of Oz since March 2020

Hopefully Japan in October, if restrictions there ease
They have pretty much lifted restrictions on overseas arrivals, as long as you have been vaccinated, have a -ve test within 48 (maybe 72) hours of departure, and return a -ve test at the airport on arrival.