The Travel Thread

Where goats go to escape
Gumboot

Kiwias wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:31 am
Snooze wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:35 pm Well I'm heading home to NZ for a couple of weeks in mid May. Not thrilled about the 5 figure daily cases, but not sure dear ol' Mum would be too thrilled if I postponed. Haven't been back for a couple of years. I'll just wear a good mask on plane and hope for the best. Will still isolate with bro' before making contact with Mum - I think best.
I'm looking at heading home there later in the year, for three weeks, but my brother in Melbourne just went back for a visit and tested +ve at the airport on arrrival, and while in isolation his daughter in law and whole family in Wellington caught the Rona, meanwhile in Auckland my granddaughter was just confirmed +ve.
Damn, I hope everyone comes through it ok.
mat the expat

It's not common knowledge outside of Japan though - too risky to book until then

Don't worry, I'll be there with bells on! :clap:
Kiwias

Gumboot wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:26 am
Snooze wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:35 pm Well I'm heading home to NZ for a couple of weeks in mid May. Not thrilled about the 5 figure daily cases, but not sure dear ol' Mum would be too thrilled if I postponed. Haven't been back for a couple of years. I'll just wear a good mask on plane and hope for the best. Will still isolate with bro' before making contact with Mum - I think best.
I'm looking at heading home there later in the year, for three weeks, but my brother in Melbourne just went back for a visit and tested +ve at the airport on arrrival, and while in isolation his daughter in law and whole family in Wellington caught the Rona, meanwhile in Auckland my granddaughter was just confirmed +ve.
Damn, I hope everyone comes through it ok.
Thanks
vball

Was in Iceland in Feb 2022 .... superb.... tons of snow but still good.

Going to Botswana/Vic Falls in mid June for safari - cannot wait !!
Romans said ....Illegitimi non carborundum --- Today we say .. WTF
TB63

Kawazaki wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:02 am I'm going to North Wales next month in the May half-term. Any kid-friendly suggestions from the forum Taffs?
Zip wires!

The big one might not be ok for a 6 yr old, though the setup in Blaunea would suit you too a T.
Bounce below is great fun as your on trampolines suspended above a 100ft drop! Then there's Zip Below which would also be suitable, it's a course through the old mines with combos of zip line, rope bridges, scramble nets, all looking down to the floor of the mine. Then above ground you have 3 different zip lines which are deffo suitable to a 6 yr old. Also there's a trip down the old railway slant takes you down the mine. Plus steam train to the coast.
Electric mountain is a trip to the hydro power unit, sounds boring but actually quite spectacular.
Plus if they're anything like my kids, take a change of clothing for them, find a river\waterfall, sit back and let them get wet, hundreds of those around for free!..

Also, there's also a lake they've converted to a surf centre, haven't been there but heard good reports about it.?
Glaston

Kawazaki wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:02 am I'm going to North Wales next month in the May half-term.
Don't forget the bog paper.
and a small spade
Jimmy Smallsteps

Arrived 2 April, spent 10 days in Canterbury and have been in Auckland a week. No rona among me or my family as yet, just to provide a bit of balance.
Kiwias

Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:18 am
Arrived 2 April, spent 10 days in Canterbury and have been in Auckland a week. No rona among me or my family as yet, just to provide a bit of balance.
Bastard :
Snooze

We'll have none of that 'balance' shit around here thanks. :lolno: To be honest I'm a bit of a 'nervous nellie' about it. Heart condition (minor) which keeps me on my toes, but I'm sure taking the basics of precautions should keep me clear. If not, the alcohol consumption will kill it before it can take hold (sorry Kiwias - not an option for you :thumbup: ).

Where is your usual 'home' Jimmy? Are you USA based?
GogLais

TB63 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:02 am
Kawazaki wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:02 am I'm going to North Wales next month in the May half-term. Any kid-friendly suggestions from the forum Taffs?

Also, there's also a lake they've converted to a surf centre, haven't been there but heard good reports about it.?
Dolgarrog, few miles south of Conwy. GL junior took 10 y.o. g’daughter there and enjoyed it. Not sure if it suits a 6 y.o. though.
Biffer

Colorado 2 weeks ago for work.

Greece next week to visit family

Germany and Portugal in May.

Almost like it never stopped
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Tichtheid

GogLais wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:45 pm North Berwick for a week soon. Planning boat trip to Bass Rock, day in Edinburgh, couple of walks along the coast and in the Lammermuirs, Haddington and Lennoxlove. Anything else recommended?

There is a beautiful beach walk to the east of North Berwick https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lothian ... adle.shtml
Further on there is Belhaven beach at Dunbar, it's huge.

Foxlake and John Muir Country park are also good for walking and for kids https://www.foxlake.co.uk

Tantallon Castle is worth a visit, that's again on the east side of North Berwick but not very far at all, there is a little cafe on the sea side of the coastal road there that gets good mentions though I haven't been to it.

On the west side of town there is Gullane, again nice beaches, the drive along the coast road to Longniddry is nice too.

If you're a golfer you've hit the mother lode in East Lothian

I've never climbed North Berwick Law, but I plan to at some point. Some nutters run up it every year
Slick

The Law is well worth going up for the views, but despite looking a little intimidating from a distance it’s actually not much more than a stroll following the path
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Tichtheid

Slick wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:20 pm The Law is well worth going up for the views, but despite looking a little intimidating from a distance it’s actually not much more than a stroll following the path
My nieces have climbed it several times - they are the posh side of the family, living in North Berwick and all.

I was a little disappointed to learn that the whale bone at the top of the Law has been replaced with a fibreglass replica :wtf:
GogLais

Booked four nights in Amsterdam in August, planning to see the Floriade exhibition they have every ten years although early reviews are diabolical.
Dinsdale Piranha

Long weekend in Belgium early June to avoid the Queen's jubilee.

UK holidays through the summer.

Food/beer tour of the continent October.

Thailand cycling either Dec/Jan.

Sri Lanka cycling July 2023.

It's getting back to normal. Just need Aus/NZ to become a bit easier.
Jock42

Any keen munro baggers? Took my dog up his first, Driesh, on Tuesday. Looking for some more that are decent enough to walk/scramble up with a lab.
Slick

Jock42 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:43 pm Any keen munro baggers? Took my dog up his first, Driesh, on Tuesday. Looking for some more that are decent enough to walk/scramble up with a lab.
Less keen than I’d like to be but try and get out as much as possible! Looking at doing Schiehallion with my boy in a couple of weeks as it’s meant to be pretty simple. Also Ben Chonzie is meant to be pretty straightforward
Jock42

Slick wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:21 pm
Jock42 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:43 pm Any keen munro baggers? Took my dog up his first, Driesh, on Tuesday. Looking for some more that are decent enough to walk/scramble up with a lab.
Less keen than I’d like to be but try and get out as much as possible! Looking at doing Schiehallion with my boy in a couple of weeks as it’s meant to be pretty simple. Also Ben Chonzie is meant to be pretty straightforward
Thats good to hear. Was up there a few weeks back at Loch Rannoch Hotel butthe weather wasn't great. Happily ho back up there for a couple of nights.
Paddington Bear

If I had time for one whilst I'm driving through solo (arriving late to a holiday so I can play cricket on the Saturday, a predictably popular decision...) around Arrochar/Rest and be Thankful, any recommendations? The Cobbler I know about, have been considering Beinn Ime and Ben Donich as well but open to suggestions.
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Jock42

Ben Lomond is up that way too.
Slick

Paddington Bear wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:15 pm
If I had time for one whilst I'm driving through solo (arriving late to a holiday so I can play cricket on the Saturday, a predictably popular decision...) around Arrochar/Rest and be Thankful, any recommendations? The Cobbler I know about, have been considering Beinn Ime and Ben Donich as well but open to suggestions.
Have a look at the walkhighlands website, great site and grades them all etc
Jimmy Smallsteps

Snooze wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:41 pm

We'll have none of that 'balance' shit around here thanks. :lolno: To be honest I'm a bit of a 'nervous nellie' about it. Heart condition (minor) which keeps me on my toes, but I'm sure taking the basics of precautions should keep me clear. If not, the alcohol consumption will kill it before it can take hold (sorry Kiwias - not an option for you :thumbup: ).

Where is your usual 'home' Jimmy? Are you USA based?
Home is now Auckland, snooze. I've been abroad for 17 years, most recently in Melbourne where I spent 6 years.

Time to come back to NZ and so far I'm enjoying it. Not having a job yet helps. Prost!
mat the expat

Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:15 am
Home is now Auckland, snooze. I've been abroad for 17 years, most recently in Melbourne where I spent 6 years.

Time to come back to NZ and so far I'm enjoying it. Not having a job yet helps. Prost!
Nice work!
Paddington Bear

Slick wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:49 pm
I could lose a morning on that site! Thanks
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Slick

Paddington Bear wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:47 am

I could lose a morning on that site! Thanks
I've lost many!
Brazil

I'm off to Nigeria in a fortnight. The visa process is the most backward antediluvian bureaucratic nightmare on earth and has now taken longer than the actual period I'll be working there for.
Slick

Brazil wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:12 am I'm off to Nigeria in a fortnight. The visa process is the most backward antediluvian bureaucratic nightmare on earth and has now taken longer than the actual period I'll be working there for.
You should try being an African business person trying to get a visa for here..... Just spend all morning churning out support letters.
Brazil

Slick wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:41 am
Brazil wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:12 am I'm off to Nigeria in a fortnight. The visa process is the most backward antediluvian bureaucratic nightmare on earth and has now taken longer than the actual period I'll be working there for.
You should try being an African business person trying to get a visa for here..... Just spend all morning churning out support letters.
Yeah, an Indian colleague said much the same However, I reserve the right to despise the home office whilst also being a hot little ember of rage at having to write out and scan in documents just to go to Abuja for three days.
Jock42

The All Trails app is good too.
Jimmy Smallsteps

mat the expat wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:17 am

Nice work!
Cheers and beers Mr Expat.
Slick

Just had a look at this, looks cracking, will give it a go in a couple of weeks.
Snooze

Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:03 pm
mat the expat wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:17 am

Nice work!
Cheers and beers Mr Expat.
Living the dream bro'. I'd like to get back home to stay. Lived in London for 5 where I met my Irish wife, now Vancouver for 25+, but would like to go home to serve out the last of my days in GodZone. Difficult though as she still has lots of family in Limerick. So Portugal is being talked about, and heading there in September to take a look.
Kawazaki

I can give you the contact details for a number of Princes looking to invest huge sums of money out there if you want?
GogLais

Enjoying East Berwick. Highlights guided tour of Scottish Parliament, St Abbs Head, Trapain Law and especially the boat trip around Bass Rock to see the gannets. Why is there so much less litter here than in England - or Wales for that matter?
Slick

GogLais wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:32 pm Enjoying East Berwick. Highlights guided tour of Scottish Parliament, St Abbs Head, Trapain Law and especially the boat trip around Bass Rock to see the gannets. Why is there so much less litter here than in England - or Wales for that matter?
Go West my boy, Glasgow is a fucking tip
freddie

Slick wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:56 pm
GogLais wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:32 pm Enjoying East Berwick. Highlights guided tour of Scottish Parliament, St Abbs Head, Trapain Law and especially the boat trip around Bass Rock to see the gannets. Why is there so much less litter here than in England - or Wales for that matter?
Also guaranteed to have one of the best and/or exciting nights out in your life 😀
GogLais

freddie wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:37 pm
Slick wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:56 pm
Also guaranteed to have one of the best and/or exciting nights out in your life 😀
I'm not sure that you've sold it to me, Edinburgh seems more my sort of place. Ms GL wants to walk along the Water of Leith tomorrow ending up in Stockbridge (?), I get the impression it's quite posh.
assfly

I've got my bi-annual work trip to Europe coming up in July. Austria, Italy, Netherlands and Spain. Can't bloody wait.
Hugo

Can anyone offer any insights into travel to Kenya? I'm thinking ahead to 2023 travel plans. I think there is a South African poster that lives in Nairobi who might be able to offer some insight.

It would be just myself and my teenage son travelling and we would want to do a safari - ideally would want to avoid the big tourist crowds so was thinking of going in Oct/November of 2023.

Thanks in advance.