The Travel Thread

Where goats go to escape
assfly

Hugo wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:12 pm Can anyone offer any insights into travel to Kenya? I'm thinking ahead to 2023 travel plans. I think there is a South African poster that lives in Nairobi who might be able to offer some insight.

It would be just myself and my teenage son travelling and we would want to do a safari - ideally would want to avoid the big tourist crowds so was thinking of going in Oct/November of 2023.

Thanks in advance.
:wave:

It's a good time to come. You won't be here for the migration in the Masai Mara, but you'll also be avoiding the crowds which can really be a pain. Might be a spot of rain by November, but don't let that deter you.

There are loads of options for safaris so it's largely your budget that will determine where you go and stay. The Mara isn't necessarily a must-see, but it's your best chance of spotting a wide range of animals. Otherwise Tsavo is amazing, Amboseli if you want to see elephants or Laikipia (Lewa, Ol Pejeta) if you want something a bit more quieter.

There are also amazing beaches (Diani, Malindi, Watamu, Kilifi) and other things to do like mountain climbing, hiking, bike riding).

Karibu sana!
Slick

assfly wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:53 am
Hugo wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:12 pm Can anyone offer any insights into travel to Kenya? I'm thinking ahead to 2023 travel plans. I think there is a South African poster that lives in Nairobi who might be able to offer some insight.

It would be just myself and my teenage son travelling and we would want to do a safari - ideally would want to avoid the big tourist crowds so was thinking of going in Oct/November of 2023.

Thanks in advance.
:wave:

It's a good time to come. You won't be here for the migration in the Masai Mara, but you'll also be avoiding the crowds which can really be a pain. Might be a spot of rain by November, but don't let that deter you.

There are loads of options for safaris so it's largely your budget that will determine where you go and stay. The Mara isn't necessarily a must-see, but it's your best chance of spotting a wide range of animals. Otherwise Tsavo is amazing, Amboseli if you want to see elephants or Laikipia (Lewa, Ol Pejeta) if you want something a bit more quieter.

There are also amazing beaches (Diani, Malindi, Watamu, Kilifi) and other things to do like mountain climbing, hiking, bike riding).

Karibu sana!
Not a resident but been a few times.

If it's your first safari then I'd probably recommend the Mara as it's easy, you'll see most things and there are loads of options on where you can stay. Locals might roll there eyes but Giraffe Manor Hotel in Nairobi is worth a stay if you can, particularly if the boy is still a yoof. Also a great elephant orphanage nearby.

I'd also recommend Nakuru for Lake Nakuru and the flamingos - also quite a few adventure sports in that area if that's your thing. Never actually been to the beaches but hear they are excellent.
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Paddington Bear

Recently stayed in Colintraive in Argyll. Seems very much off the tourist trail, had every walk to ourselves despite the stunning views (as far as Jura on clear days) in all directions. Nice pub in the village as well. Highly recommend to anyone looking for places to go in the Highlands.
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
assfly

Slick wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:42 am I'd also recommend Nakuru for Lake Nakuru and the flamingos - also quite a few adventure sports in that area if that's your thing. Never actually been to the beaches but hear they are excellent.
Lake Nakuru is amazing, but due to the water levels rising it's almost inaccessible. The main entry gate is is completely submerged. Same for all the rift valley lakes, but Nakuru is the worst effected.
Slick

assfly wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:43 am
Slick wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:42 am I'd also recommend Nakuru for Lake Nakuru and the flamingos - also quite a few adventure sports in that area if that's your thing. Never actually been to the beaches but hear they are excellent.
Lake Nakuru is amazing, but due to the water levels rising it's almost inaccessible. The main entry gate is is completely submerged. Same for all the rift valley lakes, but Nakuru is the worst effected.
Wow, hadn't heard about that!
laurent

Just back from Alsace. We travelled from strasbourg to colmar along the route des vins :thumbup:

Got some sound advice by Frankster.

Enjoyed the towns, cellars and outdoors.

I will add some photos later on as there are quite a lot.

The trip was eventfull: We got clutch failure on the car, and my partner camera also decided to die.
redderneck

Uganda (Entebbe/Kampala) and Tanzania (Dar/Zanzibar), in a week, for a week. Work-related and agenda has been put together by the fun police, sadly. Airports, trafic jams, formal meeting rooms, formal dining. Only the last evening/next morning free in Zanzibar, before headed for airport home.

Work travel gives me an indicator of where I'd like to return to to spend some free time; but that's about it as far as work travel experiences go. Few hours snatched here and there.

General advice to young lads: travel your arse off while solo/DINKY'd. Or earn big, in which case time becomes the limiting factor. (Unless you earn big and your set-up allows plenty of vacation days, in which case, I'll STFU, you bastard).
GogLais

Booked a holiday in Calabria with Rail Discoveries flying from Manc to Naples. Realised afterwards it’s a nearly 300 mile trip to the resort, which allied to an early morning flight sounded horrendous.
Just had an email telling us there are road works on the autostrada so we’re flying from Stansted to an airport much nearer the resort. I’m relieved even though it’s a four hour drive to Essex. What’s Stansted like? Can’t be any worse than Manchester.
Slick

GogLais wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:26 am Booked a holiday in Calabria with Rail Discoveries flying from Manc to Naples. Realised afterwards it’s a nearly 300 mile trip to the resort, which allied to an early morning flight sounded horrendous.
Just had an email telling us there are road works on the autostrada so we’re flying from Stansted to an airport much nearer the resort. I’m relieved even though it’s a four hour drive to Essex. What’s Stansted like? Can’t be any worse than Manchester.
Chav central, but OK
Paddington Bear

GogLais wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:26 am Booked a holiday in Calabria with Rail Discoveries flying from Manc to Naples. Realised afterwards it’s a nearly 300 mile trip to the resort, which allied to an early morning flight sounded horrendous.
Yes it's better and more efficient than Manchester, shame about the other passengers.
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
GogLais

Paddington Bear wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:32 am
Yes it's better and more efficient than Manchester, shame about the other passengers.
I’m relaxed, we’re flying to Lamezzia (sp?) not Dublin.
assfly

redderneck wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:42 am Uganda (Entebbe/Kampala) and Tanzania (Dar/Zanzibar), in a week, for a week. Work-related and agenda has been put together by the fun police, sadly. Airports, trafic jams, formal meeting rooms, formal dining.
Jump on the back of a bike in both cities. You'll save hours each day, and it's much more fun.
robmatic

I flew out from Manchester in March, security was impressively slow. Took about an hour to get through, which isn't great when you have a toddler.
redderneck

Gumboot wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:12 am Bump.

I like lakes. Was planning on going to Baikal later in the year, but obviously current circumstances have ruled that out. So I've been thinking about maybe spending a week at Titicaca instead, as part of a longer SA trip.

Would love to hear from anyone who's been there... :smile:
If circumstances ever allow it, and Baikal comes back on your radar, give me a nudge. Lived/worked out that way, albeit many years ago now, but have close connections still. At least they were relatively close until Uncle Vlad decided to bigswinginmickey himself across international boundaries.
redderneck

assfly wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:33 am
redderneck wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:42 am Uganda (Entebbe/Kampala) and Tanzania (Dar/Zanzibar), in a week, for a week. Work-related and agenda has been put together by the fun police, sadly. Airports, trafic jams, formal meeting rooms, formal dining.
Jump on the back of a bike in both cities. You'll save hours each day, and it's much more fun.
This fun you speak of...

...you wouldn't happen to be an ex front rower, would you? Cos definitions vary. Just sayin'...

I have jumped on the back of a bike last time out in Kampala (sweet Jesus, the traffic between Entebbe and the city is mind-boggling). Agree 100% you'll save hours, but have to hold my hand up and just accept that I'm too old for that shit these days. My sphincter certainly is.
assfly

:lol: fair enough
lemonhead

robmatic wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:46 am
I flew out from Manchester in March, security was impressively slow. Took about an hour to get through, which isn't great when you have a toddler.
Half an hour's drive from us and still avoiding like the plague. Was a bad tempered, grasping piece of shit airport long before it hit the news.

We do Liverpool or East Midlands wherever possible - half empty, chilled and members of staff smiling at you feels like another world.
SaintK

You must have been there on one of theirr good days :lolno:
FalseBayFC

My oldest finishes school this year. Once she is settled at varsity or gap year or whatever, I have a plan to do Namibia, Northern Cape and Botswana. Spent a lot of time in Namibia/SWA during my army years but haven't been there since. Since I am semi-retired my idea is to do it over 2-3 years. I've got my eye on a Jurgens Xplorer offroad caravan which I can tow with my Hilux.

Bucket list
- Shark fishing off Hentiesbay in Namibia.
- Game viewing and birdwatching - Chief's Island in the Okavango Delta
- Orange River kayaking trip. With barbel and yellowfish angling.
- Exploring Northern Cape road trip with a Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park visit.
- Skeleton Coast 4x4 trip
- Etosha visit
- Birdwatching and fishing in Angola
Attachments
Safari-Xplorer-Caravan-2.jpg
Safari-Xplorer-Caravan-2.jpg (192.72 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
assfly

That does look like bloody good run. But I prefer my camping to be more minimalist. Must cost a fortune in petrol too.
FalseBayFC

assfly wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:31 pm That does look like bloody good run. But I prefer my camping to be more minimalist. Must cost a fortune in petrol too.
Sanity will probably prevail and I'll more than likely just fly to Kimberley, Gabs or Windhoek and hire one up there. Rather than buy one and kit it out. Its also a mare to store and maintain.
Slick

FalseBayFC wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:27 pm My oldest finishes school this year. Once she is settled at varsity or gap year or whatever, I have a plan to do Namibia, Northern Cape and Botswana. Spent a lot of time in Namibia/SWA during my army years but haven't been there since. Since I am semi-retired my idea is to do it over 2-3 years. I've got my eye on a Jurgens Xplorer offroad caravan which I can tow with my Hilux.

Bucket list
- Shark fishing off Hentiesbay in Namibia.
- Game viewing and birdwatching - Chief's Island in the Okavango Delta
- Orange River kayaking trip. With barbel and yellowfish angling.
- Exploring Northern Cape road trip with a Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park visit.
- Skeleton Coast 4x4 trip
- Etosha visit
- Birdwatching and fishing in Angola
God that sounds amazing..
mat the expat

Just got back from Bangkok for a week.

Odd flying out after 2.5 years of no travel. Both airports were a shitfight and I nearly missed both flights.
vball

Off from the Highlands of Scotland tomorrow to Botswana for a photographic safari which has already been twice delayed due to COVID. No roughing it like we did in Kenya in the 90's ... first class accommodation.
Phots will follow.
Romans said ....Illegitimi non carborundum --- Today we say .. WTF
GogLais

On a less exotic note Stansted was mad busy on Tuesday morning but Ryanair got us to Calabria on time.
Blackmac

Just had a weekend in Belfast for the first time. Better than Dublin for many reasons. Just saying.
assfly

Does anybody have experience in travelling around Europe with kids? I'm thinking of doing Germany and Italy next summer with the family, probably by train mostly but interested in seeing what accommodation options are like.
GogLais

Just booked a week near Galway next May. Quite looking forward to it really.
Blackmac

We've booked 5 days in Marrakesh in December. We have hired a guide for the first day to get our bearings but any advice would be appreciated.
Dinsdale Piranha

Blackmac wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:28 pm We've booked 5 days in Marrakesh in December. We have hired a guide for the first day to get our bearings but any advice would be appreciated.
As you have a few days, take a trip to the High Atlas mountains. They're really not far from Marrakesh.

Maybe lunch here :

https://kasbahtoubkal.com/

This is worth a look if you are in the area :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinmal_Mosque
Slick

Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:16 am
Blackmac wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:28 pm We've booked 5 days in Marrakesh in December. We have hired a guide for the first day to get our bearings but any advice would be appreciated.
As you have a few days, take a trip to the High Atlas mountains. They're really not far from Marrakesh.

Maybe lunch here :

https://kasbahtoubkal.com/

This is worth a look if you are in the area :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinmal_Mosque
Yes, 100% do this
GogLais

Went there maybe 15 years ago, I’m afraid Marrakesh itself wasn’t my cup of tea but that’s probably down to me, I haven’t travelled much beyond Europe. We hired a 4x4 and driver for the day who took us into the countryside and that was fascinating. Probably the guy flicking a ciggy away while fixing his moped on the pavement and thus nearly enveloping MsGL in flames didn’t do much for me.
Slick

Thinking of taking the wife to San Sebastián for her birthday in April but finding it very difficult to find decent flights from Edinburgh. Anyone got any ideas? I presumed you flew into either Bilbao or Biarritz and drove but not really getting anything

Also, recommended restaurants?
Dinsdale Piranha

Slick wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:50 pm Thinking of taking the wife to San Sebastián for her birthday in April but finding it very difficult to find decent flights from Edinburgh. Anyone got any ideas? I presumed you flew into either Bilbao or Biarritz and drove but not really getting anything

I think you are screwed on flights. Plan on a stopover somewhere else?

I was mostly eating Pintxos and can recommend a brewery bar if that is your thing - Mala Gissona.
Jim Lahey

Blackmac wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:20 am Just had a weekend in Belfast for the first time. Better than Dublin for many reasons. Just saying.
The Cathedral Quarter is excellent for a night out. Most customers/suppliers I take out for a meal love the live music scene.

The rest of the city centre has really went to the dogs though. Full of addicts and shit shops. Around Stranmillis, Botanic, Upper Ormeau and Newtownards Rd areas are nice. The rest is a bit meh.
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
Slick

Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:13 pm
Slick wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:50 pm Thinking of taking the wife to San Sebastián for her birthday in April but finding it very difficult to find decent flights from Edinburgh. Anyone got any ideas? I presumed you flew into either Bilbao or Biarritz and drove but not really getting anything

I think you are screwed on flights. Plan on a stopover somewhere else?

I was mostly eating Pintxos and can recommend a brewery bar if that is your thing - Mala Gissona.
We’ve really only got 3 nights max as will leave the kids at home with my mum. Maybe it’s a trip for another time.

Want to go somewhere quite foodie
Slick

EnergiseR2 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:27 pm If its that part if the world I would highly highly recommend Asturias. From recollection Oviedo is known as the City of Fountains but whatever its called its very pretty. Woody Allen's favourite town by all accounts so you can take from that what you will. Its a bit inland near the gorgeous Picos and other national parks. The coastline is absolutely beautiful with little fishing villages like Cudillero (sp?). If not now you should go at some point
Sounds lovely. We are half planning a big Spanish road trip with the kids in a 2 or 3 years so I think if it wasn’t San Sebastián this time I’d get a kicking for anywhere else in Spain.

Maybe Porto or Sicily looking at flights from here
SaintK

Just about all of them!!! Fabulous foodie heaven! There are no fewer than 8 michelin starred restaurants within a 15/20 mile radius of the town centre. Can reccomend the 1 star Kokotxa in the old town overlooking the port
https://discoverdonosti.com/category/food/

Drove from Biarritz but I think you can also get a train from Bilbao. Worth at least a night over in both those places
BA also launched direct flights twicw a week this Summer from London City
The only UK airport currently flying directly to San Sebastian in the Basque Country is London City Airport. British Airways cover this route in the summer on Monday's and Friday's, with an average flight time of just under 2 hours.
Slick

SaintK wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:42 pm

Just about all of them!!! Fabulous foodie heaven! There are no fewer than 8 michelin starred restaurants within a 15/20 mile radius of the town centre. Can reccomend the 1 star Kokotxa in the old town overlooking the port

Drove from Biarritz but I think you can also get a train from Bilbao. Worth at least a night over in both those places
The only UK airport currently flying directly to San Sebastian in the Basque Country is London City Airport. British Airways cover this route in the summer on Monday's and Friday's, with an average flight time of just under 2 hours.
Thank you! You are a fan obviously
SaintK

Slick wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:50 pm
SaintK wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:42 pm

Thank you! You are a fan obviously
Oh yes! On the cards for a return for our 40th wedding anniversary this year.