Elon Musk bought Twitter.

Where goats go to escape
Marylandolorian

World’s richest man in charge of the world’s most influential platforms, what can go wrong?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61222470
Ymx

Do the regulators (SEC) still need to approve it?
Kawazaki

Twitter is a cesspit but I suspect it just got even worse.
TB63

Let's see if Dump gets reinstated, seeing as Truth Social is such a runaway success.. :lol:
TB63

Marylandolorian

EnergiseR2 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:48 pm I'm not on twanker. Join me
#metoo , never been and now for sure never will .
Fonz

Marylandolorian wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:47 pm
It's probably the least offensive social media site.

Admittedly, a very, very low bar.
eldanielfire

Ymx wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:55 pm Do the regulators (SEC) still need to approve it?
Yeah, but as Elon has no other social media sites it appears it's unlikely to have reason to be blocked.
Tichtheid

I do these silly comparisons from time to time

Lieutenant James Cook sighted New Zealand on 6 October 1769

253 years ago.

I'm going to make it easy and use 365 days in a year, 253 x 365 = 92 345 days since 1769

If Cook had spent two million dollars every single days since, he'd have spent something in the region of ninety two thousand times two million, which is around 184 billion, lets round it up to account for leap years and trips to Starbucks and call it a round 200 billion dollars.

Musk would still have some $64.5Bn left.

That's Twitter and change

He could have done some good with the money
Dinsdale Piranha

Tichtheid wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:22 pm I do these silly comparisons from time to time

253 years ago.

I'm going to make it easy and use 365 days in a year, 253 x 365 = 92 345 days since 1769

If Cook had spent two million dollars every single days since, he'd have spent something in the region of ninety two thousand times two million, which is around 184 billion, lets round it up to account for leap years and trips to Starbucks and call it a round 200 billion dollars.

Of course if Captain Cook had taken what he spent on the Endeavour and invested it rather than toddlling round the Pacific, he's be able to buy twitter and have $200 billion or so left over.
Kawazaki

If Musk spent $1 dollar every second for 24 hours every day it would take him just over 11½ weeks to spend $1m dollars.

If he carried on spending, it would take more than 31 years to reach $1bn dollars and just under 1400 years to reach $44bn dollars spending $1 one second at a time.
Tichtheid

Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:50 pm
Tichtheid wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:22 pm I do these silly comparisons from time to time

253 years ago.

Of course if Captain Cook had taken what he spent on the Endeavour and invested it rather than toddlling round the Pacific, he's be able to buy twitter and have $200 billion or so left over.

I was more going for the absurdity angle on $264Bn personal wealth, even if it is tied up in convoluted ways, he could still cash in a lot of it and choose to do some good instead of spending on vanity projects.

If Trumps gets reinstated then it's not even a harmless vanity project
petej

Can he be more of a turd than Zuckerberg? Probably.
Fonz

Tichtheid wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:10 pm
Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:50 pm

253 years ago.

I was more going for the absurdity angle on $264Bn personal wealth, even if it is tied up in convoluted ways, he could still cash in a lot of it and choose to do some good instead of spending on vanity projects.

If Trumps gets reinstated then it's not even a harmless vanity project
While it certainly remains to be seen how this will all pan out, this move definitely at least has the possibility of doing a whole lot of good.

This is actually one reason I shifted my position on him (he used to annoy me, now I kinda like him): if nothing else he does actually have some audacious change-the-world ambition, beyond counting his money. Even if it's zany shit like building a rocket tube across California or whatever that was all about.

Plus he made driving electric cars cool, and he deserves some love for that. God only knows how many thousands of acres of rainforest we could have saved had driving a Prius not made you look like a raging bender.
Guy Smiley

petej wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:27 pm Can he be more of a turd than Zuckerberg? Probably.
Zuckerberg is a reptile. Musk is a bull elephant.
Enzedder

And me.
I drink and I forget things.
Gumboot

Enzedder wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:58 pm
And me.
Likewise. I had a facebook account for a couple of weeks over a decade ago, but that's been the sum of my social media involvement.
Niegs

Musk Bros (or bots?) out in force defending the lad...

Guy Smiley

https://newsthump.com/2022/04/25/madman ... Ys8FCcwaUQ
Madman to buy toilet wall for $44bn
Kiwias

And me.
Me too. Facebook helps keep in touch with far-spread family and friends and that is sufficient for me.
Ymx

eldanielfire wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:15 pm
Ymx wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:55 pm Do the regulators (SEC) still need to approve it?
Yeah, but as Elon has no other social media sites it appears it's unlikely to have reason to be blocked.
True. Assume the deal was done in a legit way. Although he did fuck up the sec filing notice when he did his first investment. Though I guess that’s more likely to be a fine then anything else.
Ymx

So he paid a premium of 40% over the market price to secure it.
eldanielfire

Kiwias wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:20 am
And me.
Me too. Facebook helps keep in touch with far-spread family and friends and that is sufficient for me.
Twitter is useful in man ways. I said for years for things like information on women's rugby it was a goldmine that opened up inform that couldn't have been got easily anywhere else. But over the years it got made into the political activist platform and dominated by idiots.

This wouldn't be a problem but while Twitter is less popular now than even Snapchat, and 80% never/barely ever actually comments, it's the platform that most greatly influence media, politics and business culture due to it's ease of connectivity and the fact it's very much dominated by social elites. Hence why so many political and media figures get what the wider public wants so inaccurately or wrongly.
laurent

Not keen on the bloke will most likely upstic from twitter

Not sure I'll go somewhere else
Kiwias

eldanielfire wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:43 am

And me.
Twitter is useful in man ways. I said for years for things like information on women's rugby it was a goldmine that opened up inform that couldn't have been got easily anywhere else. But over the years it got made into the political activist platform and dominated by idiots.

This wouldn't be a problem but while Twitter is less popular now than even Snapchat, and 80% never/barely ever actually comments, it's the platform that most greatly influence media, politics and business culture due to it's ease of connectivity and the fact it's very much dominated by social elites. Hence why so many political and media figures get what the wider public wants so inaccurately or wrongly.
All excellent points but I guess that I just am not that interested in that the wider public wants. Call me a grumpy old sod who pines for the fjords.
Paddington Bear

It is amusing watching the people who screamed 'it's a private company, they can do what they want' switch places with the free speech crowd
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Uncle fester

How does he propose to get rid of bots?
Ymx

Uncle fester wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:36 am How does he propose to get rid of bots?
He was talking about some kind of ID verification
Uncle fester

Oh lovely
eldanielfire

Paddington Bear wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:32 am It is amusing watching the people who screamed 'it's a private company, they can do what they want' switch places with the free speech crowd
I agree :lol:

The whole "If Musk buys Twitter I'm leaving" is also a flip on those who mocked conservatives and anti-woke liberals who said they were going to Parler or whatever it was and are now doing the same.
laurent

Paddington Bear wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:32 am It is amusing watching the people who screamed 'it's a private company, they can do what they want' switch places with the free speech crowd
They can do what they want indeed. And a lot of users seem to be leaving (I left myspace before it became empty wasteland never joined creepy faecesbouc or any of it's subs)
(just the same I have not used amazon for a long time).
A company owned by a "libertarian" is not appealing to a lot of people with good reasons.
Paddington Bear

laurent wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:03 am
They can do what they want indeed. And a lot of users seem to be leaving (I left myspace before it became empty wasteland never joined creepy faecesbouc or any of it's subs)
A company owned by a "libertarian" is not appealing to a lot of people with good reasons.
Hmm most of the people who say that they're leaving are completely addicted to the app, it's the 'if x wins the election I'm leaving the country' of the internet.
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
laurent

Paddington Bear wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:20 am
Hmm most of the people who say that they're leaving are completely addicted to the app, it's the 'if x wins the election I'm leaving the country' of the internet.
Apparently Mastodon registrations went through the roof yesterday.
Paddington Bear

laurent wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:22 am

Never heard of it but I assume it's the same principle as those various apps Trump has tried with no success. Twitter remains the dominant app of the West's cultural elite and a vast number of influential people are utterly addicted to the point that they've trashed their reputations through using it, and yet still post. The chances are very little changes.
laurent

Paddington Bear wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:24 am
laurent wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:22 am

Never heard of it but I assume it's the same principle as those various apps Trump has tried with no success. Twitter remains the dominant app of the West's cultural elite and a vast number of influential people are utterly addicted to the point that they've trashed their reputations through using it, and yet still post. The chances are very little changes.
Actually Mastodon is the App the trump team tried to rebrand/use as "Truth". If they finally did they may have issues with copyright (free software licences usually mean you cannot modify without publishing the changes).
I have not followed that story much but originally there was lawsuits (surprisingly :lol: ).
robmatic

I kind of hate Twitter as a tool for interaction but it's essential for me to keep informed with what's happening in Turkey. Anglophone media coverage of the country is pretty poor and the Turkish media is completely under the authoritarian thumb (apart from the local Fox franchise, weirdly) but the Twittersphere is relatively informative despite Twitter itself going along with a fairly active censorship regime.
eldanielfire

Kiwias wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:04 am

All excellent points but I guess that I just am not that interested in that the wider public wants. Call me a grumpy old sod who pines for the fjords.
We all do. But you aren't alone, 80% of twitter accounts where just following, never really using the platform. and even then 80% of comments were amde by the most extrem 10-20% of those posting. There's a superb few studies doen on this, often quoted by Psychologist Jonathan Haidt.

Interesting Jack Dorsey seems to fully endorse the Musk takeover and is saying Twitter was previouslyc ontrolled by Wallstreet and ad companies to much

Torquemada 1420

Who cares?
Kawazaki

eldanielfire wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:03 am
Kiwias wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:04 am

We all do. But you aren't alone, 80% of twitter accounts where just following, never really using the platform. and even then 80% of comments were amde by the most extrem 10-20% of those posting. There's a superb few studies doen on this, often quoted by Psychologist Jonathan Haidt.

Interesting Jack Dorsey seems to fully endorse the Musk takeover and is saying Twitter was previouslyc ontrolled by Wallstreet and ad companies to much

What a crock of shit! Who sold it to Wall Street FFS?!