Gaming thread

Where goats go to escape
Insane_Homer

FFS, finally got No Man's Sky.
Really enjoyable, but eats up time. Clocked up 91hrs already in a couple of weeks.
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Raggs

Uncle fester wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:29 pm Anyone tried the Witcher 3 post-update?
Graphics update? I finished the main quest ages ago, and just didn't have the drive to do the DLC. Was quite overlevelled, and the combat was just too straight forward and repetitive (and non-interactive for the most part). Loved the game, but just felt like the DLC was just a bit too much for me to handle after playing it for so long.

Currently playing bannerlord, trying to complete more or less vanilla, then may try some of the insane mods.

Looking forward to the day when i can once again use my PC on my vr headset, and play some pcvr games. Still playing it quite regularly standalone though, minigolf with friends is just so much fun.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Dinsdale Piranha

Uncle fester wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:29 pm Anyone tried the Witcher 3 post-update?
I tried briefly. First time it crashed within a minute (PC) There have been a couple more patches since.

There's apparently a couple of new quests and some new armour etc but that's about it.

Unless you have several thousand quid of gaming rig, switching on the ray tracing will make it unplayable.
tabascoboy

So, 'The Last of Us Part 1' finally gets a PC release next month.
CM11

Raggs wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:53 am
Graphics update? I finished the main quest ages ago, and just didn't have the drive to do the DLC. Was quite overlevelled, and the combat was just too straight forward and repetitive (and non-interactive for the most part). Loved the game, but just felt like the DLC was just a bit too much for me to handle after playing it for so long.

Currently playing bannerlord, trying to complete more or less vanilla, then may try some of the insane mods.

Looking forward to the day when i can once again use my PC on my vr headset, and play some pcvr games. Still playing it quite regularly standalone though, minigolf with friends is just so much fun.
Ah you missed out. The DLC's were excellent.
Raggs

CM11 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:17 pm
Raggs wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:53 am

Ah you missed out. The DLC's were excellent.
I enjoyed the story, but combat was so repetitive that it was pointless, and with the over levelled aspect too, it just lost it's grip.

Next large gaming project is probably going to be half life alyx, or modded skyrim vr.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
CM11

Do you play on PC?

Decent mods out there to make combat more interesting.

Found vanilla fine myself and then enjoyed my second run through (I decided to restart for the DLC's) even more with the mods.
Raggs

CM11 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:27 pm Do you play on PC?

Found vanilla fine myself and then enjoyed my second run through (I decided to restart for the DLC's) even more with the mods.
Yeah, any mods in particular?
CM11

Raggs wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:29 pm
CM11 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:27 pm Do you play on PC?

Yeah, any mods in particular?
Ghost mode. Made dodging much more intuitive and fun.

I also installed a better map mod and a stash mod (basically giving you unlimited capacity) and I think a fast travel from anywhere QOL mod. Can't remember if there were others
Yr Alban

tabascoboy wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:02 pm So, 'The Last of Us Part 1' finally gets a PC release next month.
Bought it on PS3 and couldn’t get into it.
Bought it again on PS4 and made more progress - I think I got discouraged when I thought I was about half way through and it turned out it was less than a third.
Suspect I will probably succumb again. It’s like a classic book - I want to have played through it, but maybe not enough to actually play through it.
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
Jim Lahey

Was sick at the weekend so downloaded the C&C bundle on Origin.

Fuck me what a great game Red Alert 2 was for its time. Stuck inn the penultimate Soviet mission where you have to blow up Yuri in the Kremlin. Back when computer games were actually difficult! :lol:

Red Alert 3 is in the bundle as well. Is it worth giving a go?
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
Raggs

I remember playing red alert two at LAN parties at school! Ton of fun, four teams of two, you could be destroyed except for a couple of units and still make a comeback to win. Took about twelve hours though!
tabascoboy

Yr Alban wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:16 pm
tabascoboy wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:02 pm So, 'The Last of Us Part 1' finally gets a PC release next month.
Bought it on PS3 and couldn’t get into it.
Bought it again on PS4 and made more progress - I think I got discouraged when I thought I was about half way through and it turned out it was less than a third.
Suspect I will probably succumb again. It’s like a classic book - I want to have played through it, but maybe not enough to actually play through it.
I bought a used PS3 just so I could play it, then nearly gave up when it took me over 20 attempts to get through that room in the falling down building.

Can hardly believe that I somehow completed the game on grounded difficulty later...
Line6 HXFX

Bought Microsoft Flight Sim 2020, normally I am an XPlane guy but XPlane 12 seems just a out and out money grab, with very little in the way of update.

I am seriously impressed with the graphics, and the performance in V.R.

Even forced me to get my home cockpit out of the attic and get it back together..(it stopped working in xplane and lost all compatability, after an update, the good folks over at Laminar Research couldn't give less of a fuck).

Really need to get a Reverb G2..before they are discontinued.
Yeeb

Been enjoying crusader kings 3 these last 3 weeks - playing down the intrigue route suits me:
Killing peoples children
Marrying them off to hunchback scaly blind fat chicks
Fabricated a hook, jailing someone, release them for money
Torturing people to boost your stats
Murdering the pope
Conquering Ireland in ten years, losing it to a bastard son, re conquering it
Creating one branch of your family into giant albinos

My next game I can play as byzantines or some Muslim sect, and castrate people.
Raggs

A little off topic, but I'm excited and this is a crowd that are most likely to appreciate it. Hoping that I'll have successfully sold my dads place for him in the coming weeks (it's been a right bastard to sell). He wants to build a new computer, since the one he's got is 10 years old or so, and finally showing it's age. He does basically bugger all intensive with it, and as he's 83, that's unlikely to change. He does have a quest 2, so maybe I can help him hook that up to the new system. He's given me a budget of £2k to work with, and I'm desperately hoping that by going B grade that I can bargain the online shop into giving me a decent discount across numerous items, and get him a ludicrous machine (ryzen 7700x, noctua d15s heatsink, 32gb ddr5 ram, rtx 4090 is the plan). I'm excited for the old sod to be able to legitimately be able to lay claim to having something close to the best system you can build. If I can't get that deal, I'll drop it down to a 4080, which is still ludicrously overpowered for him. Maybe I'll have to get him hooked up to the pc with his q2, to see if we can actually push the system a little! I can't see him managing it any other way!

Only issue with going b grade, is there's a chance some accessories will be missing, so might need to pick up a few bits and pieces on ebay before he can build it. Still fun though! And I'll be absolutely jealous of him!
Dinsdale Piranha

Raggs wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:45 pm A little off topic, but I'm excited and this is a crowd that are most likely to appreciate it. Hoping that I'll have successfully sold my dads place for him in the coming weeks (it's been a right bastard to sell). He wants to build a new computer, since the one he's got is 10 years old or so, and finally showing it's age. He does basically bugger all intensive with it, and as he's 83, that's unlikely to change. He does have a quest 2, so maybe I can help him hook that up to the new system. He's given me a budget of £2k to work with, and I'm desperately hoping that by going B grade that I can bargain the online shop into giving me a decent discount across numerous items, and get him a ludicrous machine (ryzen 7700x, noctua d15s heatsink, 32gb ddr5 ram, rtx 4090 is the plan). I'm excited for the old sod to be able to legitimately be able to lay claim to having something close to the best system you can build. If I can't get that deal, I'll drop it down to a 4080, which is still ludicrously overpowered for him. Maybe I'll have to get him hooked up to the pc with his q2, to see if we can actually push the system a little! I can't see him managing it any other way!

Only issue with going b grade, is there's a chance some accessories will be missing, so might need to pick up a few bits and pieces on ebay before he can build it. Still fun though! And I'll be absolutely jealous of him!
Should be able to build a very nice system for 2K.

Make sure to get a blindingly fast SSD.

I've had a D15 for a while. Almost silent at full blast and no problems.
Raggs

Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:27 pm
Raggs wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:45 pm A little off topic, but I'm excited and this is a crowd that are most likely to appreciate it. Hoping that I'll have successfully sold my dads place for him in the coming weeks (it's been a right bastard to sell). He wants to build a new computer, since the one he's got is 10 years old or so, and finally showing it's age. He does basically bugger all intensive with it, and as he's 83, that's unlikely to change. He does have a quest 2, so maybe I can help him hook that up to the new system. He's given me a budget of £2k to work with, and I'm desperately hoping that by going B grade that I can bargain the online shop into giving me a decent discount across numerous items, and get him a ludicrous machine (ryzen 7700x, noctua d15s heatsink, 32gb ddr5 ram, rtx 4090 is the plan). I'm excited for the old sod to be able to legitimately be able to lay claim to having something close to the best system you can build. If I can't get that deal, I'll drop it down to a 4080, which is still ludicrously overpowered for him. Maybe I'll have to get him hooked up to the pc with his q2, to see if we can actually push the system a little! I can't see him managing it any other way!

He's got harddrives already, probably not super quick ones, but they should do the job he needs.
Insane_Homer

NMS update rumoured to be due out today

KSP 2 early release - looks great but lots of stuff missing, 3 years late.

Atomic Heart out (the darling of Ray tracing NVidia announcements since RTX 2xxx , released without RT)
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
JM2K6

Yeah for 2K you can go wild. That should be a lot of fun, nothing will stress that machine for a very long time.
Dinsdale Piranha

Raggs wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:47 am

He's got harddrives already, probably not super quick ones, but they should do the job he needs.
Hard drives work fine but there's nothing better for perceived performance improvement than fast load times. At least consider sticking the operating system on an SSD.

For example, this for £62.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B098W1NDV2
Insane_Homer

I've recently replaced my Ryzen 5 5600X with a 5800X3D if anyone in the UK is interested, let me know.
Dinsdale Piranha

Insane_Homer wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:09 am I've recently replaced my Ryzen 5 5600X with a 5800X3D if anyone in the UK is interested, let me know.
I might be.

Are you just doing a CPU upgrade or replacing MB etc.
Insane_Homer

Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:13 am
Insane_Homer wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:09 am I've recently replaced my Ryzen 5 5600X with a 5800X3D if anyone in the UK is interested, let me know.
I might be.

just the CPU upgrade. kept my B550 Mobo. I bought it in Dec '20

Full Spec
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7GHz 6 Core (Socket AM4) CPU Mfg# 100-100000065BOX

I've the original box with original cooling fan (cooler never used) - only ran it with OOB settings and Ryzen PBO so hasn't been abused.
Dinsdale Piranha

Insane_Homer wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:19 am
Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:13 am
I might be.

just the CPU upgrade. kept my B550 Mobo. I bought it in Dec '20

Full Spec
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7GHz 6 Core (Socket AM4) CPU Mfg# 100-100000065BOX

I've the original box with original cooling fan (cooler never used) - only ran it with OOB settings and Ryzen PBO so hasn't been abused.
You have PM.
Raggs

Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:08 am

Hard drives work fine but there's nothing better for perceived performance improvement than fast load times. At least consider sticking the operating system on an SSD.

Fairly sure he has SSDs, maybe some regular old spinning discs, but I'm sure the os at least is on an ssd. I'm talking about not bothering with an nvme drive basically.

The motherboard supports upto pcie5 x4 M2 drives (not that I think they actually exist yet? At least not anything that can take advantage of the 128gb/s bandwidth!). I'm guessing by the time it's needed, direct storage will be truly established.
inactionman

Ah, that's unfortunate, I've just bought one of those!

I need to upgrade my utterly ancient FirePro graphics card, and a bit surprised by prices. Is there anything decent for £100-£150 or do I need to stump up £250 for something like the 6600?
JM2K6

Raggs wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:05 pm
Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:08 am

Fairly sure he has SSDs, maybe some regular old spinning discs, but I'm sure the os at least is on an ssd. I'm talking about not bothering with an nvme drive basically.

The motherboard supports upto pcie5 x4 M2 drives (not that I think they actually exist yet? At least not anything that can take advantage of the 128gb/s bandwidth!). I'm guessing by the time it's needed, direct storage will be truly established.
I would agree with the others. NVME is a noticeable improvement over regular SSDs. And not too pricey today: https://amzn.eu/d/7XIaIAs
JM2K6

How much of a bump are you seeing from the 5800X3D? I've been considering upgrading my 5600X.
Insane_Homer

JM2K6 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:17 pm
How much of a bump are you seeing from the 5800X3D? I've been considering upgrading my 5600X.
Some games (iRacing and ACC) it's pretty noticeable, but I've not really done it justice as I've only really played NMS since x-mas.

It definitely runs a lot hotter!
Line6 HXFX

Bought this thing a few weeks ago.

https://www.ebuyer.com/1543060-alphasyn ... tion=click

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7GHz (says they are clocking in at 4.2GHZ)
16GB RAM,
1TB Samsung 980 PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - Gen3 &
ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060Ti
Windows 11 Home
3 Year Warranty (1yr parts 3yr labour)

Upgraded the Ram to 32 GB and put a couple of SSD in it.

Seems to do the Job. Mainly I run Skyrin VR, Half Life ALYX, DCS World, Xplane 11 and Microsoft Flight Simulator all in VR..

New to the PCI NVME thing,
So...stupid question,.is it just pumping data through to the CPU, via a supercharged PCI express lane, and bypassing the RAM, or does it actually need Ram?
Insane_Homer

NMS update 4.1 is a buggy pile of shyte. Pissed and annoyed. Logged 3 of 4 bugs within first hour
Raggs

inactionman wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:13 pm

I need to upgrade my utterly ancient FirePro graphics card, and a bit surprised by prices. Is there anything decent for £100-£150 or do I need to stump up £250 for something like the 6600?
You'd be able to get a 2nd hand 1070ti for that probably. Maybe even a 1080 if you found a bargain. Slightly older tech, but still fairly solid. hardwareswapUK on reddit is a fairly reliable place, but not a huge selection, I'd trust it more than ebay, though in truth, I don't think many people would be trying to rip you off on a 1070ti these days.
inactionman

Raggs wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:21 pm

You'd be able to get a 2nd hand 1070ti for that probably. Maybe even a 1080 if you found a bargain. Slightly older tech, but still fairly solid. hardwareswapUK on reddit is a fairly reliable place, but not a huge selection, I'd trust it more than ebay, though in truth, I don't think many people would be trying to rip you off on a 1070ti these days.
Ta, will take a look

How would the 6600 or something of that type compare? I've put a few more quid aside so can probably go to £250, really wanted something I could buy and not worry about for a few years.
JM2K6

inactionman wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:38 pm
Raggs wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:21 pm

Ta, will take a look

How would the 6600 or something of that type compare? I've put a few more quid aside so can probably go to £250, really wanted something I could buy and not worry about for a few years.
That's about RTX 2070 Super range on ebay - which is pretty similar to the 6600 XT in cost and performance 2nd hand. Both are better than the 1070ti by some way, and decently superior to the 1080.
Raggs

6600xt isn't that much better than 1070ti, especially considering the price difference.

2070S would be a good buy for 250 though.

Back on topic a little, one of my favourite vr games finally updated and removed an exploit. Games After the fall, also two new maps (and they're fun), and the psvr2 players means it's got a good base again.
Raggs

Got those with Oculus headsets, population one is going to be free from next month (8th) I think. Looking forward to trying it out.
Monkey Magic

Gaming knowledge folk can you help me.

I've just unpacked the ps4 for the first time in 5 years, I have a short grace period where I will have time to play a bit in the guise of looking after a newborn.

I was going to get the playstation pass to try some free games and the Witcher for $30. When I turned the machine on I still had assasins creed origins in there

Does anyone have other recommendations for? Never got into fifa but it's also cheap at the moment and seems an easy way to kill short bursts. Last time I spent time gaming I played a few battlefield games but that was on PC and at least 10 years ago, is there anything similar worth playing that I'll survive mire than 3seconds?

Also, I have the parenting responsibility to teach my 5 year old how to play consoles for her... social development? Anyone have easy (thinking Mario kart ish), games for kids?
Raggs

Monkey Magic wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:45 am Gaming knowledge folk can you help me.

I've just unpacked the ps4 for the first time in 5 years, I have a short grace period where I will have time to play a bit in the guise of looking after a newborn.

I was going to get the playstation pass to try some free games and the Witcher for $30. When I turned the machine on I still had assasins creed origins in there

Does anyone have other recommendations for? Never got into fifa but it's also cheap at the moment and seems an easy way to kill short bursts. Last time I spent time gaming I played a few battlefield games but that was on PC and at least 10 years ago, is there anything similar worth playing that I'll survive mire than 3seconds?

Also, I have the parenting responsibility to teach my 5 year old how to play consoles for her... social development? Anyone have easy (thinking Mario kart ish), games for kids?
Minecraft, you can select to have no monsters. I played lego star wars with my boy when he'd have been around that age, but all the lego games are similar (and generally coop, which is perfect).
CM11

Don't know if it's your cup of tea but Horizon Zero Dawn is a decent game. Not sure about the sequel.

Mass Effect Series too.

Between Witcher 3 and the two above that'll cover you for around 200 hours, at least.