Gaming thread

Where goats go to escape
Uncle fester

Had a look at that PlayStation pass thingy and wasn't all that impressed with the selection of games on offer.
Insane_Homer

NMS patched to address recent update bugs.
PC Crashes seems be fixed.

New AMD chip drivers released.
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Monkey Magic

Good call on the Lego games, is it sad I really liked the batman movie?

CM11 what's the deal with horizon, wander around and break stuff? 200 hours of gameplay seems achievable if I work from home more... for the kids
CM11

Main weapon in Horizon is a bow. Decent story and world with interesting gameplay and different playstyles. Story revolves around what on earth happened to the world that ended up killing most people and leaving the land being populated by robotic animals who want to kill all humans. The latter having reverted to an early human way of life (hence the bows).
Uncle fester

Playing FF7 remake. Enjoying it so far. Been so long since I played the original that I had forgotten the unreliable narrator thing.

Little bit peeved that the game only covers a third of the scope of the original game.
CM11

Does it still cost mad money to buy?
Uncle fester

Got it cheap enough as part of a 3 for 2 deal in Gamespot. Young lad wanted leho harry potter and gran turismo.
In general PS games are hella expensive!
CM11

Uncle fester wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:05 pm Got it cheap enough as part of a 3 for 2 deal in Gamespot. Young lad wanted leho harry potter and gran turismo.
I was thinking PC actually. It's €80 on Steam which is the most expensive mainstream game I can think of for the PC ever. Drops to €60 or something in the sales.
CM11

Incidentally, just spotted a massive ubisoft sale on Steam if anyone's looking to pick up Assassins Creed/Far Cry games.
Uncle fester

CM11 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:13 pm
Uncle fester wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:05 pm Got it cheap enough as part of a 3 for 2 deal in Gamespot. Young lad wanted leho harry potter and gran turismo.
I was thinking PC actually. It's €80 on Steam which is the most expensive mainstream game I can think of for the PC ever. Drops to €60 or something in the sales.
Reduced to €45 now. Crazy money really.
CM11

Uncle fester wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:56 am
Saw that, worth it or just wait until it's eventually discounted further?

My other consideration is God of War which is half price.

Also, has anyone played the Sherlock Holmes game? Seems well received and discounted to something like 15 anytime there's a sale.
tabascoboy

Steam spring sale now on
Uncle fester

CM11 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:58 am

Also, has anyone played the Sherlock Holmes game? Seems well received and discounted to something like 15 anytime there's a sale.
I don't spend that kind of money on any game. I usually wait till the GOTY edition with all the extra content is in on package in in a humble bundle.
CM11

Uncle fester wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:37 pm
CM11 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:58 am

I don't spend that kind of money on any game. I usually wait till the GOTY edition with all the extra content is in on package in in a humble bundle.
👍

It'd be more than I'd usually spend too.
tabascoboy

This is funny, someone who watched TLOU show and decided to try the game despite never having played one before at all. Not too far from my first efforts all those years ago too
I'm not a gamer. Not even close. However, like all the vast majority of us here, I fell in love with HBO's adaptation of The Last of Us and am longing for more. Feeling encouraged by a number of people on this sub and getting lots of great tips on how to change the game settings to an "easy as fuck, yes even for dipshits like you" difficulty level, I downloaded TLOU Part I last night and met the original versions of these beloved characters... here are some highlights from my experience:

Sarah swayed in front of her mirror for nearly a minute before I realized I need to use the controller to move her

While carrying Sarah in his arms, Joel got bit by the same infected runner at least 5 fucking times before I figured out wtf alleyway Tommy was directing us toward...

My-Joel then got bit a few more times before I mastered the difficult task of walking through an open door

I appreciate being able to modify all difficulty settings to levels that collectively translate into "are you fucking kidding me, can't you just watch someone gameplay on YouTube?" ... however, the trade off is having to kill "bad guys" that appear to pose practically no threat whatsoever, since they are basically side-stepping in one place and averting eye-contact while I figure out how to assault them (see examples 1 & 2)

Example 1: Kept bumping into a guy holding out a gun before realizing he's actually aiming for Joel and I cannot pass until I kill him. My-Joel then crouched down in front of bad guy, duck-walked in his personal space, and turned a flashlight on and off until the bad guy eventually fell over and died, presumably out of embarrassment for me

Example 2: Thought I killed another bad guy, but no he was actually kneeling in front of me in a modified back-bend with his arms outstretched, head tilted back, very patiently waiting for me to, idk, cut his throat or perhaps crucify him? I shadowboxed above his unshielded neck (as Tess watched) until the game finally put us both out his misery and killed him by divine assassination... I sincerely regret not taking a screenshot of this, but moving on...

Unholstering gun is easy; shooting gun when I want or need to is not (note: after the initial in-game tutorial, I couldn't find "how to actually shoot bullet out of gun" in the quick access tutorials because it's probably so fucking obvious the developers didn't want to insult other players by including it)...

However, I know the gun works because I accidentally shot a filing cabinet and at Tess

On the plus side, I'm accumulating a lot of ammo

I'm pretty good at making my-Joel spontaneously unholster his gun and throw punches at absolutely nothing... seems useless now, but surely pistol whipping will be a great offensive strategy against clickers

If being "Stealth" means jumping on top of a barrier and then doing some squats in front of active shooters, then I'm fucking nailing it

All in all, despite my absolutely pitiful gaming performance and the shame I'm bringing to all the characters... I already get it. The game is stunning and every bit as captivating. Not sure how far I'll take it (I'd at least like to meet Ellie), but I'm committed for now.
fishfoodie

RIP Klaus, I don't even like to think about how many hours I've spent on the various, "Settlers" games

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65194096
tabascoboy

I'll put this here as only gamers are likely to get it

Jim Lahey

Bit the bullet and "got the kids" a Switch.
Fucking great so far. Only got Mario Oddessy and Mario Kart.

But looking forward to playing all the classics, and then getting started into the new Zeldas.

Any other recommendations?
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
Margin__Walker

Minecraft gets a lot of playtime in our house. You can even tell yourself it's somewhat educational.
Uncle fester

Margin__Walker wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:09 pm Minecraft gets a lot of playtime in our house. You can even tell yourself it's somewhat educational.
Think of it as pixelated Lego. The stuff my son has built with it is unreal to the extent that it's actually causing the console graphics to struggle.
Uncle fester

So finished it last night and I'm flabbergasted at how short the experience is. The best part of any FF game for me is when you get off the "rails" and can explore the world. That simply doesn't exist in this game.

Nice looking and still a good story but I want more out of my RPG's.
CM11

Uncle fester wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:02 pm
So finished it last night and I'm flabbergasted at how short the experience is. The best part of any FF game for me is when you get off the "rails" and can explore the world. That simply doesn't exist in this game.

So even less value for money than it first appears.

I'll wait till it's well down.
Uncle fester

Did it in about 35 hours. I regularly do 80+ hours on halfway good RPG's and sunk about 200 into Witcher 3.
CM11

Yup, Witcher 3 on sale is one of the best value games you'll ever get.
Jim Lahey

Really enjoying the new Zelda. Its feckin huge. Ive spent so much time pissing about exploring that I haven't gotten too far into the storyline yet, but this is my first proper game since GTA V, so the sheer scale of it just amazes me.
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
Uncle fester

CM11 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:43 pm Yup, Witcher 3 on sale is one of the best value games you'll ever get.
About the same with fallout 4. Having covid was great for gaming!

Crusader kings 2 is the big daddy with 460 hours of gametime.
Uncle fester

Jim Lahey wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:37 pm Really enjoying the new Zelda. Its feckin huge. Ive spent so much time pissing about exploring that I haven't gotten too far into the storyline yet, but this is my first proper game since GTA V, so the sheer scale of it just amazes me.
What platform?
Jim Lahey

Uncle fester wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:52 am
Jim Lahey wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:37 pm Really enjoying the new Zelda. Its feckin huge. Ive spent so much time pissing about exploring that I haven't gotten too far into the storyline yet, but this is my first proper game since GTA V, so the sheer scale of it just amazes me.
What platform?
Switch.

My elder brothers got Ocarina of Time when I was 7 or 8, so it was my childhood game. The new one is a completely different level in terms of sophistocation. The jury is still out for me on whether thats a good thing or not, but enjoying it so far.
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
Yr Alban

This was my favourite part in FF6, FF7, FF8 and FF9. Starting with FF10, they actually removed the ‘overworld’ aspect, and that was when I fell out of love with the series. FF12 was a good game otherwise, but still didn’t let you explore. Lost Odyssey (a FF game from the wrong side of the blanket) did. They made FF15 open-world, but I bought it on special and just couldn’t get into it,
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
Raggs

Having a bit of a nostalgia fest at the moment. Realised that my Xbox game pass ultimate ( stocked up three years for a good price) allows me to use their beta cloud gaming on any system.

Playing through the old fable games on my pc with a Google stadia controller. Quick time challenges are a bit harder, but still a lot of fun. Might take a look to see what else there is!
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
CM11

Thoughts on the God of War port for the PC? Just went on sale on Steam.

And in general what type of game is it?
Raggs

Just ordered the new quest 3, couldn't resist after getting £100 off by signing up for Very's credit option. I'll sell off my second q2 to get a bit of the cash back. Excited to give it a go.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Line6 HXFX

Raggs wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:30 am Just ordered the new quest 3, couldn't resist after getting £100 off by signing up for Very's credit option. I'll sell off my second q2 to get a bit of the cash back. Excited to give it a go.
The varjo vr headset that is like 3 times better, and possibly the best vr headset on the market has just halved in price.
Raggs

Line6 HXFX wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:17 pm
Raggs wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:30 am Just ordered the new quest 3, couldn't resist after getting £100 off by signing up for Very's credit option. I'll sell off my second q2 to get a bit of the cash back. Excited to give it a go.
The varjo vr headset that is like 3 times better, and possibly the best vr headset on the market has just halved in price.
3 times better? Based on what exactly?

It's got a nice resolution advantage true, and eye tracking.

On the other hand. It's not standalone, it doesn't come with controllers (and isn't inside out anyway), so that's extra and confined to the room you've set it up in. It's not wireless PCVR. Weight is similar (when not including straps), but it's far further forward protruding, so less balanced. No built in audio solution. Doesn't have any sort of passthrough, let alone mixed reality with depth perception, that will also allow for full body tracking.

It's also still twice the price, even more if you include the fact you need controllers. And even then, ignoring the fact you need a top tier gaming PC to drive it.

I've tried wired PCVR, it's not for me. That cable is a right pain in the bum for breaking immersion and constantly having to fuss about it. Unless you go to the extra effort of setting up a cable system, which just isn't practical for me (and is becoming more and more outdated as wireless is looking so good).
Line6 HXFX

Raggs wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:57 pm
Line6 HXFX wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:17 pm
3 times better? Based on what exactly?

It's got a nice resolution advantage true, and eye tracking.

On the other hand. It's not standalone, it doesn't come with controllers (and isn't inside out anyway), so that's extra and confined to the room you've set it up in. It's not wireless PCVR. Weight is similar (when not including straps), but it's far further forward protruding, so less balanced. No built in audio solution. Doesn't have any sort of passthrough, let alone mixed reality with depth perception, that will also allow for full body tracking.

It's also still twice the price, even more if you include the fact you need controllers. And even then, ignoring the fact you need a top tier gaming PC to drive it.

I've tried wired PCVR, it's not for me. That cable is a right pain in the bum for breaking immersion and constantly having to fuss about it. Unless you go to the extra effort of setting up a cable system, which just isn't practical for me (and is becoming more and more outdated as wireless is looking so good).
Sorry I come from a flightsim background where controllers, are next to useless..its all about eyetracking sitting in place and resolution..
But quest 3, with ready to go..mixed reality in flightsims where I can use my home cockpit in a virtual world..might be amazing actually..
Save me looking through the nose gap.
David in Gwent

Wipeout VR is where it's at baby.

Just one of the best games ever made.
Rhubarb & Custard

Yr Alban wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:53 pm

This was my favourite part in FF6, FF7, FF8 and FF9. Starting with FF10, they actually removed the ‘overworld’ aspect, and that was when I fell out of love with the series. FF12 was a good game otherwise, but still didn’t let you explore. Lost Odyssey (a FF game from the wrong side of the blanket) did. They made FF15 open-world, but I bought it on special and just couldn’t get into it,
The much greater reliance on linear play in FF10 is very much a thing, and very much something that garnered positive and negative feedback, some liked how it drove a narrative some missed the more open style. Still, even if you were one of those who regretted being driven down a walled off path I'd still wonder how much the problem with the actual game was the sodding birds and bloody balloons
Dinsdale Piranha

David in Gwent wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:40 pm Wipeout VR is where it's at baby.

I'll give it a go.

I haven't yet worked out what VR is for. I'm on my second headset (Gear, then Oculus 2) Both of them have been used once or twice then sat on the shelf. Given how well parts ot the tech works - movement tracking etc. I'm surprised how non immersive it feels. I think the awful resolution is part of it.
Insane_Homer

The Oculus 2 putt-putt (Walkabout mini golf) game is a lot of fun!
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:01 pm
David in Gwent wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:40 pm Wipeout VR is where it's at baby.

I'll give it a go.

I haven't yet worked out what VR is for. I'm on my second headset (Gear, then Oculus 2) Both of them have been used once or twice then sat on the shelf. Given how well parts ot the tech works - movement tracking etc. I'm surprised how non immersive it feels. I think the awful resolution is part of it.
I gave it a go.

My arms are tired!