Gaming thread

Where goats go to escape
Raggs

Insane_Homer wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:10 pm The Oculus 2 putt-putt (Walkabout mini golf) game is a lot of fun!
Still playing weekly with a group from another forum. Group has grown from 4 (playing star trek bridge command, fantastic fun), to about half a dozen regulars and another 4 or so occasionals now, Walkabout is still a favourite, tons of fun.

Looking forward to Asgards Wrath 2, played the original when i got my quest 2, absolutely breathtaking, wish I had a better system to really get the most out of it. Might have to poke my head back in once I get the q3.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Line6 HXFX

You don't really need a great computer to run VR unless you are flight-simming, and even then as long as the frame rate is pretty smooth its fine.

I have a 3060ti and Half life Alyx in VR is amazing, so are things like Skyrin in VR... A 3060 ti is fine for DCS, Microsoft Flight Simulator and xplane11 (you can read the dials and what not).

With digital combat Simulator(best simulator ever) they recently did some serious updating that basically doubled the framerate in VR.

But, with a RTX 4090 and a Varjo Aero or Pimax Crystal and say a dofreality platform, flight simming is as real as it gets.

[media] [/media]
David in Gwent

Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:01 pm
David in Gwent wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:40 pm Wipeout VR is where it's at baby.

Just one of the best games ever made.
I'll give it a go.

I haven't yet worked out what VR is for. I'm on my second headset (Gear, then Oculus 2) Both of them have been used once or twice then sat on the shelf. Given how well parts ot the tech works - movement tracking etc. I'm surprised how non immersive it feels. I think the awful resolution is part of it.
Seriously, play it, have the soundtrack turned up to 11, select cockpit view and go for it - it's fucking incredible.
David in Gwent

Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:54 pm
Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:01 pm
David in Gwent wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:40 pm Wipeout VR is where it's at baby.

Just one of the best games ever made.
I'll give it a go.

I haven't yet worked out what VR is for. I'm on my second headset (Gear, then Oculus 2) Both of them have been used once or twice then sat on the shelf. Given how well parts ot the tech works - movement tracking etc. I'm surprised how non immersive it feels. I think the awful resolution is part of it.
I gave it a go.

My arms are tired!
:clap:
Jethro

Deep into Tears of the Kingdom, if by deep you mean checking things out and not really advancing in any fashion. Lots of stuff to do, new stuff introduced to the game, and pretty cool story line.
sefton

Currently playing the new Forza and the updated Cyberpunk, which is the dogs bollocks. Did start Starfield but it just didn’t grip me.
Uncle fester

Young lad asked me to get Beam.ng on steam. Aside from the steam coming off the overworked graphics card, it's pretty good.
Insane_Homer

Uncle fester wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:53 pm Young lad asked me to get Beam.ng on steam. Aside from the steam coming off the overworked graphics card, it's pretty good.
The physics model is unreal.
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Uncle fester

Insane_Homer wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:26 pm
Uncle fester wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:53 pm Young lad asked me to get Beam.ng on steam. Aside from the steam coming off the overworked graphics card, it's pretty good.
The physics model is unreal.
He's having a blast crashing the rocket bus.
inactionman

Half-life free until 20th Nov to commemorate the 25th anniversary of its original release

Half life 2 and add-ons also available for buttons

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/franchise_half-life

There's also an hour long making-of documentary:

https://www.pcgamer.com/valve-just-made ... cumentary/

.....and more talk of Half-life 3
Dinsdale Piranha

inactionman wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:03 am Half-life free until 20th Nov to commemorate the 25th anniversary of its original release

Half life 2 and add-ons also available for buttons

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/franchise_half-life

There's also an hour long making-of documentary:

https://www.pcgamer.com/valve-just-made ... cumentary/

.....and more talk of Half-life 3
For about 15 years I considered Half Life 2 the best game I'd played. I'm still annoyed with Valve for largely giving up on game development and not bothering to finish it.
Uncle fester

So what are folks picking up in the Steam sales?

I'm a big fan of old games so Mass Effect legendary edition is one of the ones I bagged.

Some really good discounts on older EA Games.

New PC is currently being built. 4070 graphics card.
Dinsdale Piranha

Uncle fester wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:13 am So what are folks picking up in the Steam sales?

I'm a big fan of old games so Mass Effect legendary edition is one of the ones I bagged.

Mount & Blade II Bannerlord is 40% off. That might be a goer.

I'm currently running an RTX 2060 gfx card. I have a guideline for GFX cards that I don't upgrade until the new one is at least twice as powerful as the current one and not much more expensive. The 4070 performance is there, just need the price to drop a little bit more.
Uncle fester

How many years of a gap does that give you between upgrades?
We got 10 years out of our PowerColor R9 280X. :grin:
Raggs

Uncle fester wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:13 am So what are folks picking up in the Steam sales?

I loved going through me legendary. Had never played 3 up until then. First one is still clunky but not too bad, second one has probably the best game intro out there in many ways. Third was a lot of fun, even if the ending was a bit poor. I enjoyed them all. Nearly played through twice, just got distracted when I was maybe 3/4 through me3 for the second time and never got back into it.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Dinsdale Piranha

Uncle fester wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:40 am How many years of a gap does that give you between upgrades?
About 5 years max.

I'm patient so don't need to pay a premium for the latest and greatest.
Insane_Homer

Complete all 27 steam achievements in No Man's Sky.

I picked up 7900XT for a very good price recently. Very happy with it so far.

ASUS RTX 2080ti needs a home if anyone wants it? (Gratis, paying it forward as I was gifted it a few years ago)
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Uncle fester

Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:43 pm
Uncle fester wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:40 am How many years of a gap does that give you between upgrades?
About 5 years max.

Not fully up to speed on these things but does upgrading graphics mean upgrading motherboard also?
Dinsdale Piranha

Uncle fester wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:11 pm
Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:43 pm
About 5 years max.

Not fully up to speed on these things but does upgrading graphics mean upgrading motherboard also?
Not usually but a better gfx card may mean your CPU/ Motherboard are now the weak link so will need replacing at some point.
Dinsdale Piranha

Insane_Homer wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:48 pm Complete all 27 steam achievements in No Man's Sky.

ASUS RTX 2080ti needs a home if anyone wants it? (Gratis, paying it forward as I was gifted it a few years ago)
That would be an upgrade on my 2060. Interested.

That's a decent achievement on NMS!
Insane_Homer

Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:35 pm
Insane_Homer wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:48 pm Complete all 27 steam achievements in No Man's Sky.

That would be an upgrade on my 2060. Interested.

That's a decent achievement on NMS!
Sold! Send me a PM if you don't still have my Whatapp to arrange collection.

It needs 2x 8 pin
Jethro

Been forced into Elder Scrolls 5 Skyrim (Anniversary edition). Only problem is son keeps dropping in and pointing out the decision I've made that are wrong and cut off quest possibilities. Restarted three times thus far :wtf:

This is one massive game folks, every time I think I've finished a quest line it seems I've picked up another three. Starting to think the game never ends.
Uncle fester

Jethro wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:42 am Been forced into Elder Scrolls 5 Skyrim (Anniversary edition). Only problem is son keeps dropping in and pointing out the decision I've made that are wrong and cut off quest possibilities. Restarted three times thus far :wtf:

This is one massive game folks, every time I think I've finished a quest line it seems I've picked up another three. Starting to think the game never ends.
Tell him to piss off and let you make "mistakes". Nothing spoils an RPG more than reading up on it and trying to plot an optimum route through it.

Better option is multiple saves at big choice moments and you can always go back and replay with other choice.
sefton

Finally finished Cyberpunk, after a dreadful launch the developers worked magic to make it into an excellent game. More than got my money’s worth.

Next is either Starfield or Dragon Dogma 2.
Insane_Homer

NMS had a pretty big update recently (New space stations and ship customisations).

my main save had a rather nice bug for a change, instead of my usual ~80K nanites, I now have 4.2 billion (the Max you can have). Unfortunately no advantage since I pretty much already have all the tech they I could but with it.
David in Gwent

Currently enjoying the latest resurgence in Rocket League, one of the most fun games to play online at the moment.
Blake

Anybody on here gotten stuck into Helldivers II yet?

Combination of FOMO and peer pressure has made me bite the bullet and having a blast playing it.

Last edited by Blake on Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jethro

Uncle fester wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:48 am
Jethro wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:42 am Been forced into Elder Scrolls 5 Skyrim (Anniversary edition). Only problem is son keeps dropping in and pointing out the decision I've made that are wrong and cut off quest possibilities. Restarted three times thus far :wtf:

Tell him to piss off and let you make "mistakes". Nothing spoils an RPG more than reading up on it and trying to plot an optimum route through it.

Better option is multiple saves at big choice moments and you can always go back and replay with other choice.
You are completely correct, the one thing I like in open world is exploration and trying to figure out how you solve the puzzles they throw into your play. Helps if it has a somewhat engrossing story line to follow.
Dinsdale Piranha

Jethro wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:56 pm
Uncle fester wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:48 am

You are completely correct, the one thing I like in open world is exploration and trying to figure out how you solve the puzzles they throw into your play. Helps if it has a somewhat engrossing story line to follow.
I've played through Skyrim a couple of times and really enjoyed it. There really aren't many choice moments that make much of a difference - which side you pick isn't actually a big deal.

Getting the best endings in Witcher 3 is a different matter.
bok_viking

Insane_Homer wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:34 am NMS had a pretty big update recently (New space stations and ship customisations).

my main save had a rather nice bug for a change, instead of my usual ~80K nanites, I now have 4.2 billion (the Max you can have). Unfortunately no advantage since I pretty much already have all the tech they I could but with it.
I need to play it a bit again, have not been on NMS for a while. But definitely the best value for money in a game considering how many big free updates they do that could easily be sold as DLC's if the game belonged to someone like Rockstar, EA or Ubisoft.
Uncle fester

Mass effect legendary edition on steam for 6 yoyos.