Bulls Rugby 2020 / 2021 BACK TO THE FUTURE!

Where goats go to escape
Chilli

OomStruisbaai wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:51 pm Its official now

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/bulls-conf ... n-signing/
Goosen is a great buy.
We never saw the best of him in SA.
HM killed any chance of him showing us just how good he is by playing him while injured and then expecting him to just kick every fucking ball away.
FalseBayFC

He's played 20 matches in the last 5 years. And scored only 37 points in the same period. Would love him to succeed but am not holding my breath.
handyman

Chilli wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:12 am
handyman wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:18 pm Let's hope Goosen drops the pc stront and get on with what he is best at and that's playing attacking rugby.
Pc stront?
Please explain.
All the kak with trying to get out of contracts by retiring, then starting to play a year or 2 later and then moving back to France.
Springboks, Stormers and WP supporter.
assfly

Some serious signings from the Bulls lately. If they can make it work on the field, then they'll be a force to be reckoned with.
FalseBayFC

Only weakness is the front row. Sort that out and they could potentially win Pro16 in their second season. If they get to play.
handyman

FalseBayFC wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:58 am He's played 20 matches in the last 5 years. And scored only 37 points in the same period. Would love him to succeed but am not holding my breath.
Agreed.

But, he has buckets full of talent and in Jake White possibly the right guy to make sure he keeps his feet on the ground and his attention on rugby. I'm excited to see what he can bring to the table.
OomStruisbaai

Jake White bought Combrink & Mapoe
assfly

Any bordies been signed by Jake White yet? Law of averages, one of us will be.
FalseBayFC

Probably signed on very short term contracts. They've played 16 games between them in the last 3 years. He's trying to find another Cornal Hendricks. The only Saffers we can lure back will be over the hill types or busted or not good enough. It's like going through a mine dump trying to extract the last gold left.
handyman

assfly wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:36 am Any bordies been signed by Jake White yet? Law of averages, one of us will be.
Knowing Jake, he only signs elite players.
assfly

handyman wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:20 am Knowing Jake, he only signs elite players.
Well I'm white, over 30 and an expatriate. Doesn't get more elite than that for Jake White.
Chilli

assfly wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:29 am
handyman wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:20 am Knowing Jake, he only signs elite players.
Well I'm white, over 30 and an expatriate. Doesn't get more elite than that for Jake White.
I went for a walk this morning, hoping to be fit enough for the season next year.
FalseBayFC

Chilli wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:28 pm
I went for a walk this morning, hoping to be fit enough for the season next year.
I'm following the Frans Steyn/Malherbe diet. Look out for me at loosehead for the Bulls next season.
Chilli

FalseBayFC wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:06 pm

I'm following the Frans Steyn/Malherbe diet. Look out for me at loosehead for the Bulls next season.
If Ox was around to defend Frans.....
Chilli

FalseBayFC wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:06 pm

I was hoping to play Loosehead but am happy to play at Tighthead.
assfly

Chilli wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:28 pm I went for a walk this morning, hoping to be fit enough for the season next year.
That's probably enough to make the bench. Keep fit.
Chilli

assfly wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:30 am
Chilli wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:28 pm I went for a walk this morning, hoping to be fit enough for the season next year.
That's probably enough to make the bench. Keep fit.
I'll climb the stairs next week if I'm not too stiff from yesterday's walk.
average joe

While your at it, flip some pancakes to get those bingo arms loose,
Chilli

average joe wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:29 am While your at it, flip some pancakes to get those bingo arms loose,
I flip, then eat, burgers all week.
assfly

I'm late to the party on this, but Hougaard has signed for Wasps only a few weeks after signing for Bulls.

This comes after Carr leaves the Bulls to return to Wasps too.

What's the deal between Bulls signing these guys and them leaving so soon afterwards?
Chilli

assfly wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:32 am I'm late to the party on this, but Hougaard has signed for Wasps only a few weeks after signing for Bulls.

This comes after Carr leaves the Bulls to return to Wasps too.

What's the deal between Bulls signing these guys and them leaving so soon afterwards?
Fear of Covid
OomStruisbaai

Trevor to Racing
Iol
World Cup winner Trevor Nyakane to join Racing 92
By AFP Time of article published 9h ago

Paris — Rugby World Cup winner Trevor Nyakane will join Racing 92 on a three-year deal in December, the French club's head coach Laurent Travers said on Tuesday.

Tight-head prop Nyakane, 32, started all three of the Springboks' November fixtures and will arrive from the Blue Bulls before Georges-Henri Colombe leaves the Parisian side for La Rochelle at the end of the season.

According to SuperSport, Racing have paid R5 million ($310,000) to the Bulls for Nyakane with his deal in Pretoria ending in 2023.

"It was important to sign back-up with the departure of George-Henri Colombe. We also wanted someone with experience to help the youngsters. It's an added value but also an example," Travers told AFP.

MORE ON THIS
Can the Blitzboks make it two out of two in Dubai this coming weekend?
Injuries, Covid travel restrictions affect Blitzboks’ preparations for second Dubai leg
Rassie Erasmus to share ’his side of the story’ in SuperSport documentary
How can rugby move on from such bias and prejudice?
Springbok Eben Etzebeth forced to take break from rugby due to concussion concerns
Dave Rennie’s slap on the wrist hardly consistent with Rassie Erasmus’ punishment

"He has top-level experience. It was important that he's able to pass it on. He can play at tight-head and loose-head prop, I think he's even played one or two matches at hooker.

"He's a versatile player and I hope he'll bring what we expect," he added.

Travers' side head to Castres in the Top 14 this weekend before two European Champions Cup games, against Northampton and the Ospreys, next month.
FalseBayFC

OomStruisbaai wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:02 am Trevor to Racing
Iol

Paris — Rugby World Cup winner Trevor Nyakane will join Racing 92 on a three-year deal in December, the French club's head coach Laurent Travers said on Tuesday.

Tight-head prop Nyakane, 32, started all three of the Springboks' November fixtures and will arrive from the Blue Bulls before Georges-Henri Colombe leaves the Parisian side for La Rochelle at the end of the season.

According to SuperSport, Racing have paid R5 million ($310,000) to the Bulls for Nyakane with his deal in Pretoria ending in 2023.

"It was important to sign back-up with the departure of George-Henri Colombe. We also wanted someone with experience to help the youngsters. It's an added value but also an example," Travers told AFP.

MORE ON THIS
Injuries, Covid travel restrictions affect Blitzboks’ preparations for second Dubai leg
Springbok Eben Etzebeth forced to take break from rugby due to concussion concerns
Dave Rennie’s slap on the wrist hardly consistent with Rassie Erasmus’ punishment

"He has top-level experience. It was important that he's able to pass it on. He can play at tight-head and loose-head prop, I think he's even played one or two matches at hooker.

Travers' side head to Castres in the Top 14 this weekend before two European Champions Cup games, against Northampton and the Ospreys, next month.
Good for him. At 32 he's going to need to build a nest egg. He's a very charismatic guy so I can see him having a post playing career as a Supersport pundit or something.
FalseBayFC

I see two PMB College front rankers Corbin Thunder and Roydon Swift have been contracted straight out of school to go to Bristol and Connacht respectively. They're soutpiele so there's a good chance they have eligibility somehow. I watched them play as u16s against my nephew's Kearsney team. They're both beasts.
assfly

FalseBayFC wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:48 am I see two PMB College front rankers Corbin Thunder and Roydon Swift have been contracted straight out of school to go to Bristol and Connacht respectively. They're soutpiele so there's a good chance they have eligibility somehow. I watched them play as u16s against my nephew's Kearsney team. They're both beasts.
They sound like comic book characters :lol:
Chilli

FalseBayFC wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:48 am I see two PMB College front rankers Corbin Thunder and Roydon Swift have been contracted straight out of school to go to Bristol and Connacht respectively. They're soutpiele so there's a good chance they have eligibility somehow. I watched them play as u16s against my nephew's Kearsney team. They're both beasts.
Grey Bloem players go to France direct from school all the time.
FalseBayFC

Green light echo wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:12 pm So any Rugby been played yet in SA boets? Or still stuck behind the times as per usual :lol:
Yes fixtures set up for Saturday. First time we'll have crowds. Thank you for your concern and empathy.
FalseBayFC

assfly wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:51 am
They sound like comic book characters :lol:
They do. We seem to be going down the same route as the Aussies with our first names. But Thunder and Swift are great surnames for rugby players.
FalseBayFC

Chilli wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:01 am
Grey Bloem players go to France direct from school all the time.
I see Watsonians in Scotland have Marc Morrison from KES in JHB playing for them. He's just been named in the latest Scotland u20 side. I rate him highly. He looked great for the Lions u21 team last year. Watsonians also have Paul Roos boy Jordan Venter who is a Scotland project player. In five years time we could see a Scotland team with Mcbeth, Richardson, Schoeman, Morrison, Venter, Van der Merwe amongst others.
handyman

FalseBayFC wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:41 am
OomStruisbaai wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:02 am Trevor to Racing
Iol

MORE ON THIS

Good for him. At 32 he's going to need to build a nest egg. He's a very charismatic guy so I can see him having a post playing career as a Supersport pundit or something.
For me, Nyakane has managed it expertly. He was given opportunities in South Africa, he has worked on his reputation and he has rewarded his employers with excellent service for a number of years.

Now, it's time to cash in.
OomStruisbaai

Bulls took him off his mieliepap diet.
Sards

He wouldn't get away with all this now
Chilli

Sards wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:10 pm

He wouldn't get away with all this now
Game has gone soft.
FalseBayFC

Bulls piling up some serious talent in the loose forward department. An Elrigh Louw/Cyle Brink/Marcell Coetzee loose trio is pretty hardcore.
Leicester trying to get under their salary cap.

handyman

Jake White has always favoured a backrow that can generate momentum.
Chilli

FalseBayFC wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:32 am Bulls piling up some serious talent in the loose forward department. An Elrigh Louw/Cyle Brink/Marcell Coetzee loose trio is pretty hardcore.

Isn't Brink a sick note of the Joe Van Niekerk level?
OomStruisbaai

Chilli wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:24 am
FalseBayFC wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:32 am Bulls piling up some serious talent in the loose forward department. An Elrigh Louw/Cyle Brink/Marcell Coetzee loose trio is pretty hardcore.

Isn't Brink a sick note of the Joe Van Niekerk level?
Don't know him at all.
FalseBayFC

Jake White is probably hoping that him and Marcel Coetzee will have alternating injuries. One fit one injured.
FalseBayFC

He's played a decent number of minutes per year since 2017.
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (60.81 KiB) Viewed 826 times
OomStruisbaai

Paul Roos produce some great 10/12/15 versatile players over the last decade. They likes of Willie, Damian Willemse , Juan Mostert (Mossie) and Kade Wolhuter. I have post previously about Mossie, Lem type of 10. Playing flat, deadly on defense, excellent distribution but very kak kicker.

Jake White poach him from WP and one to watch.

S24
Are Jake and the Bulls on their way to unearthing a new Henry Honiball?
It's early days yet but the Bulls might take a first step towards unearthing a new Henry Honiball.
21-year-old Juan Mostert, a SA Schools and Maties star, reminds much of the legendary Springbok flyhalf and could get a taste of European rugby this weekend.
Bulls mentor Jake White admits his elevation was perhaps a bit unexpected, but he sees him as a long-term investment.
Coaches in general loath making comparisons, but part of Jake White's charm is that he does it a little bit more than most of his counterparts.

Without explicitly stating so, he gave a subtle nod to suggestions that Juan Mostert, his flyhalf on the bench for Friday evening's United Rugby Championship (URC) encounter with Zebre in Parma, has a few similarities to Handre Pollard.

Yet, review a bit of footage of his magnificent exploits at school at Paul Roos and his cracking Varsity Cup campaign for Maties last year and it becomes apparent that the 21-year-old reminds one much more of another brilliant Springbok pivot, Henry Honiball.

He's got something a bit different," said the Bulls' director of rugby.

"He's big, he's tall. He played SA Schools and comes from Paul Roos. Juan's got everything. You don't play for those two teams at school if you can't play the game well."

Having played a starring role for the SA Under-18 side in 2018's international series against Wales, France and England, Mostert was cruelly denied the opportunity to put himself on the radar via the Junior Springboks due to the pandemic cancelling World Rugby's Under-20 World Championships till at least 2023.

However, last year's university showpiece was a sufficient platform for him to sign a deal with American side Seattle Seawolves before White came in with a swoop that would've made many an English Premier League football team nod in approval.

"With due respect, fortunately Juan had not quite done all the paperwork for the United States because Covid and visa requirements did not make it as easy as he thought it would. So we have signed him to stay," he said.

"He has a two-year deal and we'll probably look to keep him for longer. He'll be an understudy to Morne (Steyn), Chris (Smith) and Johan (Goosen)."

The typically forthright White admitted that Mostert's elevation into the match squad is down to Steyn (serving suspension) and Goosen (knee injury) not being available, but a one-off trip to Parma might be an ideal opportunity to introduce him to the rigours of European rugby.

"He probably didn’t think he would get a chance so soon, but he’ll always be in the mix because he can play flyhalf, centre and fullback. Hopefully he can get on the field against Zebre and get a feel for this level."