Hamilton, NZ

VENUE:
FMG Stadium, Waikato

MATCH OFFICIALS:
TBC

TEAMS:

TBC

TBC

Last edited by Carter's Choice on Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carter's Choice

Two teams that will be utterly desperate for a win. The Chiefs are 0-3 and the Hurricanes are 0-2 leading into this match. With a short, 8 game season and no finals, this really is arguably the last chance saloon for both teams. The Chiefs have the edge across the field, and too much experience in the key play-making positions of 10 and 15. I see them being too strong for the Hurricanes, especially playing at home infront of their passionate and parochial fans.
Jimmy Smallsteps

Should be a cracker.

P.S. Fuck off noob!
Carter's Choice

What do people think of Ngani Laumape's form in this comp? It's obviously been tough for him behind a pack that's struggled for parity, and alongside a 10 of the calibre of JGB. But I think it is still fair to say that he's been ordinary. With Ryan Crotty and SBW leaving in the off season, I think many of us were just expecting Ngani to make the 12 jersey his own in 2020 but it hasn't quite panned out that way.
Jimmy Smallsteps

Carter's Choice wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:16 pm What do people think of Ngani Laumape's form in this comp? It's obviously been tough for him behind a pack that's struggled for parity, and alongside a 10 of the calibre of JGB. But I think it is still fair to say that he's been ordinary. With Ryan Crotty and SBW leaving in the off season, I think many of us were just expecting Ngani to make the 12 jersey his own in 2020 but it hasn't quite panned out that way.
I think Laumape is suffering due to the average personnel around him. Let's face it, it's hard to look world class with journeymen on either side of you. You end up shouldering more of the burden and don't have the same freedom to showcase your skills.

On paper, the Canes are the worst side of the lot.
Carter's Choice

Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:32 pm I think Laumape is suffering due to the average personnel around him. Let's face it, it's hard to look world class with journeymen on either side of you. You end up shouldering more of the burden and don't have the same freedom to showcase your skills.

On paper, the Canes are the worst side of the lot.
Yeah I agree with that. The Hurricanes still have plenty of classy players (key injuries have not helped) but IMO they desperately lack on field leadership and composure. It sounds crazy, but with BB gone I think they have really missed Jordie Barrett's experience and composure at fullback. Yes I know he is famously prone to making the odd mistake, but I think Jordie has matured immensely as a player over the past 12 months and they really miss his leadership. Overall I think their squad has ability but they are a world class 10 and lock away from being a title contender. Throw Richie Mo'unga and Sam Whitelock into this Hurricanes team and they are a completely different beast.