Law question- Farrell tackle

Where goats go to escape
topofthemoon

Tichtheid wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:51 pm
Ymx wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:45 pm

I think it’s this part they had issue with

“where the controversy comes in is that not long before the Farrell incident former All Blacks turned Tongan centre George Moala was initially banned for 10 weeks for a tip-tackle.”

It’s wrong as the initial ban was 5 weeks. 10 was the possible sanction, but that number was never issued.

Or at best it was being deliberately misleading. 10 vs 0

It's poor and inaccurate journalism, but I don't really understand the problem beyond that.

On the tackle itself it was bad, but not too much worse than Farrell's although it's difficult to compare when one was a shoulder straight to the face and one was a tip tackle where the player landed on his shoulder.

I would have thought that all things considered, more comparable sanctions should have been applied.
I'm now thinking it's possible Farrell could end up with more than Moala. 6-week entry point. Can't get full mitigation so say 2 weeks off if he's lucky. But then there's a possibility of a 2-week add on (as Marcos Kremer got for his 3rd red card / ban, although over a shorter period of time than Farrell).

I had thought Kremer's ban at 5 weeks was the template and Farrell's team might have tried to use that to argue for 4 weeks for him. But I've noticed that LNR used the old and therefore incorrect method of calculating the ban: entry point + aggravation - mitigation, which lead to Kremer getting 3 weeks off in mitigation, equivalent to a 50% reduction on entry point. Can't see a World Rugby panel making the same 'mistake' no matter how convenient it might be.
Ymx

topofthemoon wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:56 pm
Tichtheid wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:51 pm
Ymx wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:45 pm

I think it’s this part they had issue with

“where the controversy comes in is that not long before the Farrell incident former All Blacks turned Tongan centre George Moala was initially banned for 10 weeks for a tip-tackle.”

It’s wrong as the initial ban was 5 weeks. 10 was the possible sanction, but that number was never issued.

Or at best it was being deliberately misleading. 10 vs 0

It's poor and inaccurate journalism, but I don't really understand the problem beyond that.

On the tackle itself it was bad, but not too much worse than Farrell's although it's difficult to compare when one was a shoulder straight to the face and one was a tip tackle where the player landed on his shoulder.

I would have thought that all things considered, more comparable sanctions should have been applied.
I'm now thinking it's possible Farrell could end up with more than Moala. 6-week entry point. Can't get full mitigation so say 2 weeks off if he's lucky. But then there's a possibility of a 2-week add on (as Marcos Kremer got for his 3rd red card / ban, although over a shorter period of time than Farrell).

I had thought Kremer's ban at 5 weeks was the template and Farrell's team might have tried to use that to argue for 4 weeks for him. But I've noticed that LNR used the old and therefore incorrect method of calculating the ban: entry point + aggravation - mitigation, which lead to Kremer getting 3 weeks off in mitigation, equivalent to a 50% reduction on entry point. Can't see a World Rugby panel making the same 'mistake' no matter how convenient it might be.

Indeed, and that will cover the whole England tournament if it goes 2015 again on them !!

:silent:
ScarfaceClaw

What time is the announcement that Farrell and Vunipola are just humble lads trying their best and meant nothing by the shoulder charges to face so shouldn’t face any sort of ban?
Chilli

ScarfaceClaw wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:27 am What time is the announcement that Farrell and Vunipola are just humble lads trying their best and meant nothing by the shoulder charges to face so shouldn’t face any sort of ban?
What shoulder charges do you speak of?
Hal Jordan

Chilli wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:44 am
ScarfaceClaw wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:27 am What time is the announcement that Farrell and Vunipola are just humble lads trying their best and meant nothing by the shoulder charges to face so shouldn’t face any sort of ban?
All I saw were two noble Englishmen offering weary opposition players a place to rest their head during a gruelling game of rugby.
Chilli

Hal Jordan wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:17 pm
Chilli wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:44 am
All I saw were two noble Englishmen offering weary opposition players a place to rest their head during a gruelling game of rugby.
It looked like a quick snuggle to me.
Slick

Anyone know what has happened?

Seen a few "Ouch, Farrell" comments online but no idea.
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Brazil

Slick wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:15 pm Anyone know what has happened?

He might've just taken his robust tackling technique onto social media
weegie01

Apolgies if already covered, Owens thinks it is a red.
Former international referee Nigel Owens believes Owen Farrell was deserving of a red card and thinks rugby is in trouble if tackles like that don't result in players being sent off.

Speaking in his WalesOnline column, he said: "Do we have foul play? Yes, we do. Do we have contact with the head? Yes, we do. Do we have a high degree of danger? Yes, we certainly do. Do we have mitigation? In my view, no we don't. I don’t think there was any late change from Basham which Farrell could not adjust to, he was the only player contributing to the action of the tackle. And when a player’s action is always illegal, then mitigation plays no part in the process.

"Now, let me explain this bit for you. So, if Farrell was in the process of going to make a legal tackle and then suddenly there is a change of direction or a significant drop in height from the ball carrier (either voluntarily or due to another player) which caused Farrell's tackle to become illegal, then the referee would apply mitigation. In that situation, there would be no way he could have changed what he was doing.

"The key thing about mitigation here is that Farrell's actions were always illegal. No matter what happened, he was always leading with the shoulder and not making an attempt to wrap for a legal tackle - so mitigation does not and should not play a part in the decision.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... e-27566948
Biffer

I’m getting tired of waving my pitchfork and my torch has almost burnt down to my hand. Hurry up ffs.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
SaintK

Slick wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:15 pm Anyone know what has happened?

Nothing due until after 5:30 I thought
sockwithaticket

weegie01 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:44 pm Apolgies if already covered, Owens thinks it is a red.
Former international referee Nigel Owens believes Owen Farrell was deserving of a red card and thinks rugby is in trouble if tackles like that don't result in players being sent off.

Speaking in his WalesOnline column, he said: "Do we have foul play? Yes, we do. Do we have contact with the head? Yes, we do. Do we have a high degree of danger? Yes, we certainly do. Do we have mitigation? In my view, no we don't. I don’t think there was any late change from Basham which Farrell could not adjust to, he was the only player contributing to the action of the tackle. And when a player’s action is always illegal, then mitigation plays no part in the process.

"Now, let me explain this bit for you. So, if Farrell was in the process of going to make a legal tackle and then suddenly there is a change of direction or a significant drop in height from the ball carrier (either voluntarily or due to another player) which caused Farrell's tackle to become illegal, then the referee would apply mitigation. In that situation, there would be no way he could have changed what he was doing.

"The key thing about mitigation here is that Farrell's actions were always illegal. No matter what happened, he was always leading with the shoulder and not making an attempt to wrap for a legal tackle - so mitigation does not and should not play a part in the decision.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... e-27566948
I have my issues with Nigel "I've never read the law book" Owens, but he's spot on and explained the whole thing pretty concisely.
Torquemada 1420

Biffer wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:45 pm I’m getting tired of waving my pitchfork and my torch has almost burnt down to my hand. Hurry up ffs.
:lol:
Ymx

Good point. I need to start getting angry again.

Where are the results first published? Is it on the world rugby site? Or is it media only who get press releases?
Sandstorm

SaintK

Ymx wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:29 pm Good point. I need to start getting angry again.

Where are the results first published? Is it on the world rugby site? Or is it media only who get press releases?
You mean that you don't get the text?
Ymx

SaintK wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:52 pm
Ymx wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:29 pm Good point. I need to start getting angry again.

Do I get the text if I’m already subscribed to onlyfaz.com ??
SaintK

Ymx wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:01 pm
SaintK wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:52 pm

Do I get the text if I’m already subscribed to onlyfaz.com ??
Bugger, I didn't think it was that well known!
Biffer

Daily Mail rugby correspondent says Farrell decision expected shortly, Vunipola tomorrow morning.
Ymx

Come on. I’ve banners to make !
SaintK

Armbands shirley
Biffer

I’ve more or less resigned myself to them shitting the bed and confirming the yellow card
Ymx

Nope, need banners. All ready to go !

Ymx

Rumours only, but someone, a no one, has said 6 weeks.

So probably ignore it.
Tichtheid

If he does get a ban, does he have the right to appeal?
Grandpa

Does beg the question.. has he ever managed to successfully hug his wife?
Ymx

Grandpa wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:38 pm Does beg the question.. has he ever managed to successfully hug his wife?
Not sure she can remember either
Ymx

I’m getting bored now.

Could it be embargoed??
Cartman

They should live stream these things
Make extra money
ASMO

6 weeks, i am leaving that out there.
Biffer

Hearing the decision is delayed because the door to get out of the hearing is a ‘pull’ but Farrell keeps leading with his shoulder.
Dinsdale Piranha

Biffer wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:18 pm Hearing the decision is delayed because the door to get out of the hearing is a ‘pull’ but Farrell keeps leading with his shoulder.
Ymx

Biffer wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:18 pm Hearing the decision is delayed because the door to get out of the hearing is a ‘pull’ but Farrell keeps leading with his shoulder.
You stole that !
Ymx

While we wait, a saffer has in true Saffer form put together a nice little Faz compilation

It got deleted… balls
Grandpa

Ymx wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:27 pm While we wait, a saffer has in true Saffer form put together a nice little Faz compilation

It got deleted… balls
It's like they never happened...
Paddington Bear

This has the potential to be utterly hilarious
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Ymx

Grandpa wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:38 pm
Ymx wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:27 pm While we wait, a saffer has in true Saffer form put together a nice little Faz compilation

It got deleted… balls
This thread will disappear shortly. And then we will be left with an itch that we can’t quite recall what it is.

Gone !!
Grandpa

Apparently this hearing started at 7.00am this morning... I wonder if someone should check inside?
Grandpa

Ymx wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:00 pm
Grandpa wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:38 pm

It got deleted… balls
This thread will disappear shortly. And then we will be left with an itch that we can’t quite recall what it is.

Gone !!
Certainly dragging on.. anything less than death by headbutt will feel like an anti-climax...
Ymx

4 match ban.

That’s it.