Law question- Farrell tackle

Where goats go to escape
Kawazaki

FFS, the whining about Farrell by the usual wets is just galling. He's been banned for 4 fucking weeks - stop bellyaching.
Deveron Boy

Kawazaki wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:57 pm FFS, the whining about Farrell by the usual wets is just galling. He's been banned for 4 fucking weeks - stop bellyaching.
Thanks for that great insight added a lot
ASMO

Kawazaki wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:57 pm FFS, the whining about Farrell by the usual wets is just galling. He's been banned for 4 fucking weeks - stop bellyaching.
You mean he has rightly been banned for 4 weeks, or are you saying his head shot deserved no ban?
Rhubarb & Custard

ASMO wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:29 am
You mean he has rightly been banned for 4 weeks, or are you saying his head shot deserved no ban?
A rightful ban would have been 6 weeks with time then being tacked on for aggravating factors. Not a 6 week ban with no aggravating and instead only mitigating factors
sockwithaticket

If any player had just committed their fourth red card offence against a Saracens player you'd be screeching for them to get the noose.

I also recall you being fairly annoyed by the laxity of Adam Coleman's ban when he got his second red in the span of a year. People thinking 4 weeks isn't enough for a 4 time offender (two recent offences in the span of a year) seems like it should be in line with your thinking on the issue. Except when it relates to a Sarries player apparently :think:
JM2K6

Thread hadn't been posted in for a few days until he bumped it
Kawazaki

sockwithaticket wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:01 am

I also recall you being fairly annoyed by the laxity of Adam Coleman's ban when he got his second red in the span of a year. People thinking 4 weeks isn't enough for a 4 time offender (two recent offences in the span of a year) seems like it should be in line with your thinking on the issue. Except when it relates to a Sarries player apparently :think:

Well, as you often do, you recall wrong.

I asked why there wasn't a thread entitled 'Law question- Coleman tackle' in here started by one of the resident knitting circle squad. I asked on this thread ffs.
Kawazaki

Rhubarb & Custard wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:45 am
A rightful ban would have been 6 weeks with time then being tacked on for aggravating factors. Not a 6 week ban with no aggravating and instead only mitigating factors

Get the flaming torches out next. Seriously, fuck off and find another sport to watch.
Rhubarb & Custard

sockwithaticket wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:01 am
If any player had just committed their fourth red card offence against a Saracens player you'd be screeching for them to get the noose.

Fourth offence before a panel surely? Not actually fourth offence as he seems to get away with any number of cheap/high shots

Justice4uncos
SaintK

I'm not a Farrell hater but FFS he should have changed his tackle technique by now
Biffer

Kawazaki wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:28 am
Rhubarb & Custard wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:45 am
Get the flaming torches out next. Seriously, fuck off and find another sport to watch.
How would you suggest we change repeat offenders behaviour?
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Niegs

Dr Ross Tucker shares some thoughts about the Farrell appeal (and concussions in the World Cup). Starts about 8 mins into this, iirc.

https://play.acast.com/s/realscienceofs ... unpacked-w

... my question: Why is it necessary that WR have an independent system for citations/appeals? He compares it to the police/judiciary process, but (and am happy to be convinced otherwise) I see it more like an internal punishment process like you'd face at school or at work. You could sue in those cases and go to court, but wouldn't that be for egregious situations best handled by real courts? I see the vast majority of these citing issues as "You were naughty, here's your punishment." I'm not even a fan of reductions as it often seems so inconsistent.

Tucker talks about Farrell showing up with a high powered solicitor. Are the inconsistent results of these down to having that kind of money (T2 nation players seeming to get longer bans suggesting it) or the randomness of who sits on those tribunals?
sockwithaticket

Niegs wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:45 pm Dr Ross Tucker shares some thoughts about the Farrell appeal (and concussions in the World Cup). Starts about 8 mins into this, iirc.

https://play.acast.com/s/realscienceofs ... unpacked-w

... my question: Why is it necessary that WR have an independent system for citations/appeals? He compares it to the police/judiciary process, but (and am happy to be convinced otherwise) I see it more like an internal punishment process like you'd face at school or at work. You could sue in those cases and go to court, but wouldn't that be for egregious situations best handled by real courts? I see the vast majority of these citing issues as "You were naughty, here's your punishment." I'm not even a fan of reductions as it often seems so inconsistent.

Tucker talks about Farrell showing up with a high powered solicitor. Are the inconsistent results of these down to having that kind of money (T2 nation players seeming to get longer bans suggesting it) or the randomness of who sits on those tribunals?
I've always assumed the apparent aping of a legal system is partly rugby wanting to feel superior in some way and partly someone who set it up being connected to lawyers and wanting to give his mates a way to earn a bit of extra cash.

There is zero need for them to be involved whatsoever.
Biffer

The expensive lawyer thing also gives a true indication of how inportant protecting people from head injury is. They'll throw cash around trying to stop a suspension, not so sure additional money would be found so quickly for prevention.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Uncle fester

Seeing as this is the Farrell thread of record, what are the opinions on his 6N hiatus?
Blackmac

Uncle fester wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:48 pm Seeing as this is the Farrell thread of record, what are the opinions on his 6N hiatus?
It would appear no one gives a fuck.
I've just seen his little head to head with Luke Pearce. What a petulant little prick he is.
sockwithaticket

Uncle fester wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:48 pm Seeing as this is the Farrell thread of record, what are the opinions on his 6N hiatus?
Reddit exploded with holier than thou 'oh it's terrible all the abuse has forced him into it' despite no evidence of that being behind the decision whatsoever. Anything that's been said so far makes it clear that his family are currently his priority. With 2(?) small children and the amount he's been away over the last few years with his international commitments, I can imagine he might be sick of missing out on moments with the kids and/or his wife might want a bit more help raising them.

I think it's good for England not to have him there. Given his on field petulance and apparent habit of pissing off refs I'm of the opinion that the merits of his captaincy and will to win/driving of standards are rather over-stated, but even if all that about him is true, the team needs to be able to generate all that without him at some stage. No time like the present.

Game plan remains a bigger issue than personnel, but if the fly half options are Ford and Smith x2 I've a little more hope that the game plan might be opened up to better suit their strengths.
dpedin

sockwithaticket wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:35 am
Reddit exploded with holier than thou 'oh it's terrible all the abuse has forced him into it' despite no evidence of that being behind the decision whatsoever. Anything that's been said so far makes it clear that his family are currently his priority. With 2(?) small children and the amount he's been away over the last few years with his international commitments, I can imagine he might be sick of missing out on moments with the kids and/or his wife might want a bit more help raising them.

I think it's good for England not to have him there. Given his on field petulance and apparent habit of pissing off refs I'm of the opinion that the merits of his captaincy and will to win/driving of standards are rather over-stated, but even if all that about him is true, the team needs to be able to generate all that without him at some stage. No time like the present.

Game plan remains a bigger issue than personnel, but if the fly half options are Ford and Smith x2 I've a little more hope that the game plan might be opened up to better suit their strengths.
Farrell is a good player, no doubt about that ... but his strengths have also been his weaknesses for England. He no doubt. has a strong desire to win, is an excellent kicker of the ball and plays a certain type of role at 10 which is well suited to playing behind a dominant pack. He can control a game when not under pressure and make good decisions with ball in hand. However when behind a pack which is second best and delivering slow, poor ball his limitations are badly exposed ie he is a bit slow with his feet and with ball in hand, will sit further back behind the gain line and his kicking and decision making becomes more erratic. As he has got older he has become more and more conservative at 10 for England, which has suited Borthwick's game plan but stifled back play in majority of games.

If Borthwick is going to develop the England team, and that is a big if, and push a more 15 man game, then Farrell isn't the best 10 option he should build around. Both Smiths, Marcus and Fin, are the sort of more mobile ball playing 10s that will develop the England game. It is really interesting to watch the impact that Russel has had on Bath backs and in particular has enabled Lawerence to show just how good a player he is. If England are going to get the best from the likes of Lawrence then they need a game plan based around a ball playing 10.
Uncle fester

Could well be family related and more power to him if that's the case but if it's related to the abuse/social media attention, he needs to take account for the fact that he brings a lot of that on himself.
Slick

Uncle fester wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:04 pm Could well be family related and more power to him if that's the case but if it's related to the abuse/social media attention, he needs to take account for the fact that he brings a lot of that on himself.
FFS
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Slick

Uncle fester wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:04 pm Could well be family related and more power to him if that's the case but if it's related to the abuse/social media attention, he needs to take account for the fact that he brings a lot of that on himself.
FFS
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Paddington Bear

Out of interest, how did he bring someone calling him a cunt in front of his son? And please provide evidence of him playing the pantomime villain
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Uncle fester

Paddington Bear wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:25 pm
Out of interest, how did he bring someone calling him a cunt in front of his son? And please provide evidence of him playing the pantomime villain
Wow, did that happen?
Jesus.

His lamentable tackle "technique" is the source of much of the social media attention.
Sinkers

Seems it was the abusers son that was there (on his shoulders) and not Farrell’s son.
Not that that excuses such behaviour
Sandstorm

Sinkers wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:38 pm
Seems it was the abusers son that was there (on his shoulders) and not Farrell’s son.
Seems risky to invite a Farrell Tackle with your son around your shoulders.
SaintK

Uncle fester wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:26 pm
Wow, did that happen?
Jesus.

His lamentable tackle "technique" is the source of much of the social media attention.
I very much doubt that is a the main reason at all
Highy succesful, highly paid, multi trophy winning club captain and 100+ cap England captain more to the point
Haters going to hate.
TedMaul

The word is that since the punch up with Arundell he hasn’t got the support of his teammates.
assfly

Paddington Bear wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:25 pm Out of interest, how did he bring someone calling him a cunt in front of his son? And please provide evidence of him playing the pantomime villain
Rumour has it the abuser is actually Andy Farrell, it was at a family function.
SaintK

TedMaul wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:37 pm The word is that since the punch up with Arundell he hasn’t got the support of his teammates.
Whose word?
A good friend of mine works with a number of England squad members individually and at their clubs, particularly Saracens.
He tells me there has been no chit-chat, gossip or banter about that "incident" and if it did happen has been blown out of all proportion on social media.
Sandstorm

SaintK wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:32 am has been blown out of all proportion on social media.
I don't believe that.
Uncle fester

SaintK wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:50 pm

Wow, did that happen?
Jesus.

Highy succesful, highly paid, multi trophy winning club captain and 100+ cap England captain more to the point
Haters going to hate.
For starters, not all the haters are outside England. You just need to stroll onto an English match thread to see his own countrymen bagging him.

Secondly, he's not the only high profile English player but the other English players in his profile bracket who are not gobby pricks don't get half the heat he does.

However, the other England players who are pricks get loads of heat (Itoje, looking at you).

So maybe it's because he is a bit of a prick and there's also his well publicized issues with tackling legally?
Simian

I’ve no problem with him whatsoever.

But the pantomime thing? RFU using him smirking at the haka didn’t help him at all. That painted him as a pantomime villain. Being the poster boy for Saracens cheating didn’t help him, especially when it was portrayed in the media as him getting a rest year. He was proper hung out to dry.
SaintK

Uncle fester wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:35 pm
SaintK wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:50 pm

Wow, did that happen?
Jesus.

Haters going to hate.
For starters, not all the haters are outside England. You just need to stroll onto an English match thread to see his own countrymen bagging him.

Secondly, he's not the only high profile English player but the other English players in his profile bracket who are not gobby pricks don't get half the heat he does.

However, the other England players who are pricks get loads of heat (Itoje, looking at you).

So maybe it's because he is a bit of a prick and there's also his well publicized issues with tackling legally?
As I said, haters going to hate.......wherever they are from.
TedMaul

Not his teammates remember.