RWCR1 Australia vs Georgia

Where goats go to escape
laurent

I'll be at the game with a Georgian Shirt

Go Georgia

I'll add the team when they show up

_Os_

I can't be the only person reading that Wallabies team and half of them I think "who are you?" and most of the rest I think "meh". There's some emperor's new clothes thing going on with that team.

If the Boks had cut/lost half their experienced players which should be in the XV, seemingly because they won't be around in 2027, bizarrely using this RWC as a team building exercise. I would be fucking outraged, I think most Bok fans would be. I would never forget it and be hammering on about Hooper being dropped for decades, just like I did with Teich.

Canan Moodie has more test experienced than half the Aus squad, he is a 20 years old and in his second season.
Sandstorm

_Os_ wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:07 pm I can't be the only person reading that Wallabies team and half of them I think "who are you?" and most of the rest I think "meh". There's some emperor's new clothes thing going on with that team.

If the Boks had cut/lost half their experienced players which should be in the XV, seemingly because they won't be around in 2027, bizarrely using this RWC as a team building exercise. I would be fucking outraged, I think most Bok fans would be. I would never forget it and be hammering on about Hooper being dropped for decades, just like I did with Teich.

Canan Moodie has more test experienced than half the Aus squad, he is a 20 years old and in his second season.
Georgia by 2?
sockwithaticket

I will shit myself laughing if the Wobs lose this. Eddie's been getting stroppier in press conferences with every loss, I can only imagine how surly he'll be if Aus go down to a tier 2 team.
_Os_

Sandstorm wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:29 pm
_Os_ wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:07 pm I can't be the only person reading that Wallabies team and half of them I think "who are you?" and most of the rest I think "meh". There's some emperor's new clothes thing going on with that team.

Georgia by 2?
I went Aus by 12 in the predictor but that was just tactical.

Actually trying to call properly is more difficult. Wallabies by 5 is my best punt.

The Wallabies have a shit pack imo, because it is a young pack. Lets use the Boks as an example, we know how good Roos is, that doesn't mean he can step up to test rugby immediately against older experienced players, and backrow is the easiest place in the forwards to do that. Roos isn't in our squad, older players who have a lower talent ceiling but have reached that full potential are. Even if these Aussies are talented I'm not buying they can all just instantly step up at a RWC. Wallabies have some good backline players, but Georgia are well organised on defence, Scotland ended up using their full armoury to unlock them.
Sandstorm

Agree OS. Aussie backs issue is they aren't a team (shock with Eddie in charge) and NONE of them pass the bloody ball.
_Os_

sockwithaticket wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:36 pm I will shit myself laughing if the Wobs lose this. Eddie's been getting stroppier in press conferences with every loss, I can only imagine how surly he'll be if Aus go down to a tier 2 team.
Very good odds out there on Georgia winning. It's possible I reckon.

One simple way of looking at it, is Georgia rock up with a pack of beasts from French clubs and eat the Aussie pack alive.
TheNatalShark

In all my Accas I have Georgia within 20. Would have preferred 15

May well be closer, but it is breathing space if there are one or two scores at the end of Georgia are chasing.

These wobblies are shite. Jones is a shitebag. I hope they lose.
Slick

_Os_ wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:14 pm
sockwithaticket wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:36 pm I will shit myself laughing if the Wobs lose this. Eddie's been getting stroppier in press conferences with every loss, I can only imagine how surly he'll be if Aus go down to a tier 2 team.

One simple way of looking at it, is Georgia rock up with a pack of beasts from French clubs and eat the Aussie pack alive.
I dunno, I reckon a team with Angus Bell and Skelton will bring enough to cope with the Georgians.

The Aussies always turn it on at WC’s. Don’t think they will do too much this time but don’t expect them to get turned over by any tier 2 team, including England
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
_Os_

TheNatalShark wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:48 pm In all my Accas I have Georgia within 20. Would have preferred 15

May well be closer, but it is breathing space if there are one or two scores at the end of Georgia are chasing.
Backing Georgia on the handicap is the way to bet on them, always go for the biggest cap available. Better to win with +20 than get unlucky with +15. Especially if it's an accumulator and you need lots of matches to work out.
Slick wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:51 pm I dunno, I reckon a team with Angus Bell and Skelton will bring enough to cope with the Georgians.
Skelton is overrated, he has never lived up to the hype. Angus Bell has made no impression on me yet.
tabascoboy

_Os_ wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:14 pm

The Lelos pack isn't the force it used to be and the only back approaching Tier 2 attacking ability is the full back. I'd love to see Georgia overturn the Wobs but can't see it happening - although I think they can keep it very respectable if they avoid a second half like the warm-up match against Scotland
laurent

I don't think the Lelos are up to it. They will throw the kitchen sick at it anyway.

If they keep it tight you never know.
_Os_

tabascoboy wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:57 pm The Lelos pack isn't the force it used to be and the only back approaching Tier 2 attacking ability is the full back.
Pack went okay against Scotland, Scottish pack is much stronger than that Aus pack imo. For me the issue is the backs as you say and if they can convert anything into points.

Georgia are 15th best at this RWC for me, behind 6N/RC/PIs/Japan. The other 5 have better backlines as you say, but only Uruguay and Nam have anything in the pack out of those 5.
laurent

Back from the game.

Georgia gave a good account of themselves the atmosphere was good with a good number of Georgians and Aussies.

It was horribly hot though.
TheFrog

_Os_ wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:30 pm
tabascoboy wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:57 pm The Lelos pack isn't the force it used to be and the only back approaching Tier 2 attacking ability is the full back.
Pack went okay against Scotland, Scottish pack is much stronger than that Aus pack imo. For me the issue is the backs as you say and if they can convert anything into points.

Georgia are 15th best at this RWC for me, behind 6N/RC/PIs/Japan. The other 5 have better backlines as you say, but only Uruguay and Nam have anything in the pack out of those 5.
Japan are far below their previous standards.
JM2K6

_Os_ wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:36 pm Skelton is overrated, he has never lived up to the hype. Angus Bell has made no impression on me yet.
Bit strange. Skelton is finally hitting his straps, I think. He looked good in the RC and he's finally making use of his bulk properly. Totally agree he was overrated for quite some time - he was an absolute fucking liability, to be frank - but he's quality now.

Angus Bell was brilliant in the RC. He's a very good scrummager and probably the best ball carrying prop in the international game. He's a world XV contender IMO.
Torquemada 1420

JM2K6 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:13 am
_Os_ wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:36 pm Skelton is overrated, he has never lived up to the hype. Angus Bell has made no impression on me yet.
Bit strange. Skelton is finally hitting his straps, I think. He looked good in the RC and he's finally making use of his bulk properly. Totally agree he was overrated for quite some time - he was an absolute fucking liability, to be frank - but he's quality now.

Angus Bell was brilliant in the RC. He's a very good scrummager and probably the best ball carrying prop in the international game. He's a world XV contender IMO.
This. Bell gave Gros a really tough time in August. Ironic that the one aspect of the Aus team that is solid at the moment is the scrum!
Slick

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:39 am
JM2K6 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:13 am

This. Bell gave Gros a really tough time in August. Ironic that the one aspect of the Aus team that is solid at the moment is the scrum!
Ahh, that may well be, but he hasn't made an impact on Os yet and he looks at stats at night
All the money you made will never buy back your soul