The OFFICIAL NPR Book Thread

Where goats go to escape
GogLais

GogLais wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:17 am Having nearly finished my summer jobs list I’ve started Max Hastings’ Vietnam. It’s been on my shelves for a while, I’ve been intimidated by the thickness of it but as usual with Hastings it’s a good read.
Just finished his Abyss re Cuban Missile Crisis as well. Basically it was even more dangerous than we thought.
Hugo

I began a book this week on the story of Nike, Swoosh, the story of Nike and the men who played there. Very fascinating book, its been hard to put down.

I did not realise that the term "jogging" originated (in its modern usage) in New Zealand and was popularised in the US by one of the founders of Nike, the Oregon athletics coach Bill Bowerman. I'm about ten years in where they are splitting up with their Japanese manufacturers and are going to change the name of their company/shoes to Nike.
mat the expat

Hugo wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:39 pm I began a book this week on the story of Nike, Swoosh, the story of Nike and the men who played there. Very fascinating book, its been hard to put down.

I did not realise that the term "jogging" originated (in its modern usage) in New Zealand and was popularised in the US by one of the founders of Nike, the Oregon athletics coach Bill Bowerman. I'm about ten years in where they are splitting up with their Japanese manufacturers and are going to change the name of their company/shoes to Nike.
I read an article on their founding after going down a Wiki rabbithole from a runner who went to Oregon State University

Mad
Hugo

mat the expat wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:30 am
Hugo wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:39 pm I began a book this week on the story of Nike, Swoosh, the story of Nike and the men who played there. Very fascinating book, its been hard to put down.

I read an article on their founding after going down a Wiki rabbithole from a runner who went to Oregon State University

Mad
It is. I'm actually struggling to get my head around it based on this book tbh. I think I will have to get a copy of Phil Knights for further insights.

The authors admit in the foreword that it is exhaustively researched but a lot of the key players in Nike were not willing to co-operate or be interviewed for the book. I'm finding it hard to gauge exactly what Knights ambitions were when he began importing shoes from Japan.
Jim Lahey

I'm on the look out for a new book series in a similar vein to Mitch Rapp (Vince Flynn), The Camel Club (Baldacci) or The Executive series (Grossman). I enjoy political thrillers.

Any recommendations? Ideally not standalone books as I prefer the depth a good series can give you.
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
Hugo

Had to put the Nike book on hold as I was getting bogged down....

As a longtime U2 fan I had never read a bio of theirs. I rectified that - just read "Bono", a book that is a series of interviews he gave with a French journalist in the mid 00s. Very easy read. I found Bono to be very evasive in the book, never let his guard down tbh. I was hoping to get a glimpse into the U2 genius and figure out why they are just so big and why their music is so transcendent but I was disappointed. Bono had no intention of opening up.
Uncle fester

Hugo wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:40 pm Had to put the Nike book on hold as I was getting bogged down....

As a longtime U2 fan I had never read a bio of theirs. I rectified that - just read "Bono", a book that is a series of interviews he gave with a French journalist in the mid 00s. Very easy read. I found Bono to be very evasive in the book, never let his guard down tbh. I was hoping to get a glimpse into the U2 genius and figure out why they are just so big and why their music is so transcendent but I was disappointed. Bono had no intention of opening up.
Plenty of interviews with them that reveal a lot of the tensions under the surface. Basically think Clive Woodward's lions with test team and dirt trackers.
Slick

Just finished In the Shadow of the Sword by Tom Holland. Really enjoyed it, basically a history based takedown of the big religions. His sarcasm drips off the page, but keeps it high brow enough to really hit it where it hurts.

If anyone has a passing interest in Africa, particularly West Africa and Nigeria, highly recommend Chronicles from the Land of the Happiest People on Earth by Wole Soyinka. Absolutely fantastic satire on political corruption and conspiracy in the region
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Blackmac

I love the fact that Magic Johnson turned down a share offer to promote their basketball boots. I think he took a $50000 offer to wear Converse. He claims it would be worth $8 billion now. 😂
Hugo

Uncle fester wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:03 pm
Hugo wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:40 pm Had to put the Nike book on hold as I was getting bogged down....

Plenty of interviews with them that reveal a lot of the tensions under the surface. Basically think Clive Woodward's lions with test team and dirt trackers.
The tensions amongst the bandmates?

I know Bono is the biggest personality in U2. I always assumed they only lasted as a group as long as they have because the other band members (particularly the Edge, in fact mostly the Edge) were so laid back. If the Edge was more assertive and opinionated I feel certain him & Bono would have ended up like Lennon & McCartney a long time ago.
Hugo

Blackmac wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:06 pm

I love the fact that Magic Johnson turned down a share offer to promote their basketball boots. I think he took a $50000 offer to wear Converse. He claims it would be worth $8 billion now. 😂
And he has turned into a mogul in his latter years so I know he has been kicking himself more than even the average person would.
Hugo

Oh yeah, the thing that tickles me about Nike is that when I first became aware of them as a kid (late 80s/Just Do It marketing campaign) they were synonymous with basketball, Michael Jordan and by extension youth culture. Its amusing that their origins are in the decidedly uncool domain of American distance running, in Oregon at that.

To me its analogous to if Steve Redgrave launched a fashion label that became really popular amongst inner city youths.
Hugo

After the Bono book I read Slash's autobiography. Very easy read as all these rock bios tend to be which is why I enjoy reading them.

How Slash is still alive is anyone's guess. The guy fucked everything with a skirt in LA for over a decade and was a heroin addict and alcoholic. Even by rock star standards I was blown away by just how reckless & self destructive his lifestyle was.
sockwithaticket

I'm doing another re-read of Terry Pratchett's The Watch series. All of the characters are so well realised, but Vimes and Carrot really are brilliant creations.
Jock42

sockwithaticket wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:10 am I'm doing another re-read of Terry Pratchett's The Watch series. All of the characters are so well realised, but Vimes and Carrot really are brilliant creations.
I've made a start on the whole discworld series. I read the Watch stuff in completion and the odd other one here and there but I'm determined to do the whole thing.
robmatic

Jock42 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:59 pm
sockwithaticket wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:10 am I'm doing another re-read of Terry Pratchett's The Watch series. All of the characters are so well realised, but Vimes and Carrot really are brilliant creations.
I've made a start on the whole discworld series. I read the Watch stuff in completion and the odd other one here and there but I'm determined to do the whole thing.
I think the first two books aren't that good, comparatively, but once he got into his stride with the setting they are all pretty consistently great.

I reread Wyrd Sisters recently for the first time in years and I enjoyed it immensely. Might pick up Mort again next.
sockwithaticket

The only sub-series I've yet to finish is the witches.

Of them all I think I'd rank them:
The Watch
Industrial Revolution
Death
Rincewind
Witches
Ancient Civilisations

I'm so upset that 'the embuggerance' robbed of us of PTerry in general, but especially as it means we've only got two proper Moist von Lipwig books. Raising Steam, whilst enjoyable enough, is clearly a book written with the assitance of others and many characters don't feel like them.
Slick

Weirdos
Dinsdale Piranha

robmatic wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:17 pm
I think the first two books aren't that good, comparatively, but once he got into his stride with the setting they are all pretty consistently great.

I reread Wyrd Sisters recently for the first time in years and I enjoyed it immensely. Might pick up Mort again next.
Which first two?

I consider that Strata was the first discworld novel. I enjoyed it. I also liked The Colour of Magic immensely.
sockwithaticket

Slick wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:34 pmWeirdos
Oh no, people enjoying some funny fantasy fiction :eek:
Slick

sockwithaticket wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:00 pm
Slick wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:34 pmWeirdos
Oh no, people enjoying some funny fantasy fiction :eek:
Easy tiger
robmatic

Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:57 pm
robmatic wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:17 pm

Which first two?

I consider that Strata was the first discworld novel. I enjoyed it. I also liked The Colour of Magic immensely.
I mean The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed them both but they are basically comic romps and he started telling better and deeper stories after that.
Slick

Just finished The Trees by Percival Everett which was very difficult to put down right from the off. The first 3/4 of it were superb although I thought it trailed off a bit at the end.

It's a novel which dives deep into black lynching's of the past in a modern setting, heavy on satire, with some laugh out loud moments, and pretty brutal at times. It does strike me that a white author just couldn't get away with a depiction of black people the way he does with hicksville whites, but then he is describing a bunch of cunts in an awful era, so a bit confused by it all.

Either way, a terrific book.
GogLais

Slick wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:16 am Just finished The Trees by Percival Everett which was very difficult to put down right from the off. The first 3/4 of it were superb although I thought it trailed off a bit at the end.

It's a novel which dives deep into black lynching's of the past in a modern setting, heavy on satire, with some laugh out loud moments, and pretty brutal at times. It does strike me that a white author just couldn't get away with a depiction of black people the way he does with hicksville whites, but then he is describing a bunch of cunts in an awful era, so a bit confused by it all.

Either way, a terrific book.
Seconded.
Happyhooker

The perfectionists; how precision engineers changed the world is fascinating
Hugo

I'm currently reading "The Boys in the Boat", it is about the American rowing team (from the University of Washington) that won a gold in the 1936 Olympics. It has a lot of the backstory of the team (one rower in particular - Joe Rantz) and the Great Depression. One of the key characters is George Pidcock, an expatriate Englishman (from Eton) and boatbuilder who is portrayed as a sage and font of all rowing wisdom. He builds his boats in Seattle in a room that is adjacent to the boathouse and he acts as a sort of mentor to the rowers and the coaches.
Last edited by Hugo on Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugo

Just finished Two Hours by Ed Caesar which is a book about the quest to run a sub two hour marathon.

Very, very good book. The book serves as a pretty good survey of the history of the marathon and it goes into fairly exhaustive detail about Kenyan distance running. I had no idea that Kenyan distance runners for the most part hail from just one tribe - the Kalenjin.

I would highly recommend.

I'm currently reading "The Boys in the Boat", it is about the American rowing team (from the University of Washington) that won a gold in the 1936 Olympics.
Still haven't finished this..... I stopped reading 50 pages from the end and have not returned to it. It's become boring and a slog. Honestly some books just shouldn't be as long as they are. The story could be told with fewer words.
Hugo

The Bolt Supremacy by Scottish author, the late Richard Moore. It is painstakingly researched and tells the story of Jamaica's sprinting tradition/culture. What I like about it is that he has really created a "family tree" to illustrate how all of the contemporary Jamaican sprint coaches and administrators have been influenced by their predecessors, stretching all the way back to Herb McKenley: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herb_McKenley.

It's like a sprint version of the book on Kenyan distance running that I just read but it is more exciting and has more personality. I got it from the library but I will certainly buy a copy as I think it will be handy to reference.
Hugo

150 pages into Prince Harry's book, Spare.

Clearly has a massive axe to grind with the tabloids/paparazzi and for obvious reasons. Interesting to read of the tension between him and big brother. He says that at Eton he strangely asked Harry to act as if he didn't know him. William comes across as a little bit insecure and always wanting to put Harry in his place, although of course its Harry's point of view. Now he's writing about his experiences in the army in Afghanistan.

Oh yeah and he believes that all the bad press he received in his late teens and early twenties was partly a consequence of Charles and Camillas media people wanting to frame him in a poor light in order to make their union more palatable. Its a fascinating theory and I've been pondering it really hard. Make Harry look like shit and then it takes the heat off Charles being a poor husband to Diana and makes Camilla seem less villainous.

I give it a lot of credence because you have to think someone like Harry really really understands the way that PR works.
Hugo

Done with Spare. The book is a fascinating glimpse of life behind the curtain.

I will admit Harry won me over despite that fact that the book is a complete betrayal of William, who I think deserved better. He portrays William as deeply insecure, petty and as a bullying big brother. Having read the book I don't see how their relationship will ever be the same again, there is just no way that William will the able to trust him. He throws Camilla to the wolves but I suppose that is to be expected, she is the wicked step mother after all.

The main theme throughout is Harry giving it to the tabloid press with both barrels and I think his observations on them are entirely accurate. They are vile, intrusive, don't treat the people whose lives they cover as if they are human beings and also don't give a hoot whether what they print is true or not.

These aren't ground breaking revelations but I admire the fact that Harry swims agains the tide and does not just accept that this has to be so. He also really has an instinctive grasp of the true power of the media. How they shape narratives and build public perceptions with a steady drip, drip, drip of stories that then feed into social media creating a toxic atmosphere. I greatly admire that he calls this stuff out because it is incredibly corrosive and damaging to society.
Paddington Bear

Currently reading In Nelson’s Wake - a book about the Royal Navy in the Napoleonic Wars. Superbly researched and incredibly readable, highly recommended for anyone with an interest in that era and/or the navy
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Jock42

The Faded Map: The Lost Kingdoms of Scotland. Bit of a niche subject regarding the people's of Scotland prior to the Picts and Scots. Seems a bit rambling and focused on the etymology of place names rather than the actual people. Still interesting enough though.

Also Sourcery. Its Pratchett, wntl.
Hugo

Ruminating on the Harry book a little more it occured to me why he is at odds with the family.

Whilst I think Harry is a well intentioned man, exceedingly so, he is also passionate, excitable and sensitive. He is actually the polar opposite of his Grandmother who was stoic, unflappable and aloof. The Windsor way of doing business is to STFU and get on with it. Harry is just not that way inclined, if he thinks something is wrong he finds it intolerance and he will speak up against it whereas the Windsors will just shrug it off.
Slick

Hugo wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:37 pm Done with Spare. The book is a fascinating glimpse of life behind the curtain.

I will admit Harry won me over despite that fact that the book is a complete betrayal of William, who I think deserved better. He portrays William as deeply insecure, petty and as a bullying big brother. Having read the book I don't see how their relationship will ever be the same again, there is just no way that William will the able to trust him. He throws Camilla to the wolves but I suppose that is to be expected, she is the wicked step mother after all.

The main theme throughout is Harry giving it to the tabloid press with both barrels and I think his observations on them are entirely accurate. They are vile, intrusive, don't treat the people whose lives they cover as if they are human beings and also don't give a hoot whether what they print is true or not.

These aren't ground breaking revelations but I admire the fact that Harry swims agains the tide and does not just accept that this has to be so. He also really has an instinctive grasp of the true power of the media. How they shape narratives and build public perceptions with a steady drip, drip, drip of stories that then feed into social media creating a toxic atmosphere. I greatly admire that he calls this stuff out because it is incredibly corrosive and damaging to society.
What he has done to his family is pretty unforgivable IMO. I also think it's no coincidence that his fight against the machine coincides with him meeting his vacuous, narcissistic wife - he is a deeply stupid fellow. In fairness he is also a deeply damaged chap.
Hugo

Slick wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:23 am
Hugo wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:37 pm Done with Spare. The book is a fascinating glimpse of life behind the curtain.

What he has done to his family is pretty unforgivable IMO. I also think it's no coincidence that his fight against the machine coincides with him meeting his vacuous, narcissistic wife - he is a deeply stupid fellow. In fairness he is also a deeply damaged chap.
Agreed, its definitely the case in my opinion that what he has done cannot be reversed and his relationship with his brother and Dad will never be the same again.

And yes, he is very damaged & traumatised, losing your mother so young and under such circumstances must cause lifelong mental anguish.
Hugo

Hugo wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:04 am The Bolt Supremacy by Scottish author, the late Richard Moore. It is painstakingly researched and tells the story of Jamaica's sprinting tradition/culture. What I like about it is that he has really created a "family tree" to illustrate how all of the contemporary Jamaican sprint coaches and administrators have been influenced by their predecessors, stretching all the way back to Herb McKenley: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herb_McKenley.

Along these lines I got a book on Arthur Wint. Wint won Jamaica's first Olympic gold medal at the games in 1948 in the 400. Herb McKenley was the favourite for the event but he got pipped by the unfancied Wint at the finish line. I'm reading about Wint's service in the RAF during WWII, he led a very interesting life, eventually becoming a medical doctor and a diplomat.
Slick

Just finished “Otherlands” by Thomas Halliday

He basically goes through the Periods of pre history from 20,000 years ago to the Ediacaran 540 mya describing the flora, fauna and environment from the fossil and rock record we have.

It’s a pretty stunning book and he is a terrific writer, really enjoyed it.

My complaints would be that it needs more sketches of what he is describing, some of the animals are just so alien that the words don’t give a clear enough picture. It also gets a bit technical in places and I spent a lot of time googling, but I guess that’s pretty normal for scientific books trying to appeal to a wide audience.

Had no idea that one of the most important fossil records of the Carboniferous period are the Granton Shrimp Beds in Edinburgh, a couple of miles from me

I recommend
Slick

Finished Damon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver, it's bloody great.

All about a kid growing up with a shit life in rural Virginia. It's harrowing in places but also very funny throughout. Unlike a lot of these kinds of books that start with an amazing first 3rd then tail off, this keeps going right to the end.
Monk

Tried this on the other place but their book thread is essentially dead.

Appealing to the hive mind.

Looking for a literary allusion(s) here.

Reading The Wheel Spins by Ethel Lina White: the basis of Hitchcock’s The Lady Vanishes.

I find this “It was obvious that he believed that Miss Froy lived at the sign of The Unicorn, in the congenial company of Mrs. Harris and the Spanish prisoner.”

Anybody?

The context is that Miss Froy is believed to be a figment of imagination.

Edit: Mrs Harris is from Martin Chuzzlewit
Slick

Monk wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:02 am Tried this on the other place but their book thread is essentially dead.

Appealing to the hive mind.

Looking for a literary allusion(s) here.

Reading The Wheel Spins by Ethel Lina White: the basis of Hitchcock’s The Lady Vanishes.

I find this “It was obvious that he believed that Miss Froy lived at the sign of The Unicorn, in the congenial company of Mrs. Harris and the Spanish prisoner.”

Anybody?

The context is that Miss Froy is believed to be a figment of imagination.

Edit: Mrs Harris is from Martin Chuzzlewit
No wonder nobody answered you mate