RWC Final : New Zealand vs South Africa - Sat 28th @ 20.00 BST

Where goats go to escape
petej

Slick wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:15 am
OomStruisbaai wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:59 am
Rhubarb & Custard wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:47 am

There was for sure a sense of that watching the final (and also England) that one was simply wasting part of one's life watching something that was plain and simple boring, really, really boring.

The IRB claim they want to encourage a new audience into the game, but you would have no sense of that from the finale to the game's supposed showpiece event. It was better than the last Lions series, but no argument not to find something more interesting to do instead.
If the iRB want to grow rugby, do it at the lowest structure not the top. You know there where the kids play. That's where our rugby are healthy.

Again go watch and play League or soccer or some shite.
I’m certainly done with international rugby, except for the 6N, for a while. Really find myself not enjoying all the shite that goes with it and just watching because I feel I should.

And completely agree, the lower levels are much more to my liking
Feel similar. A lot of the shit/gamesmanship/cheating/cynical shite that puts me off football/soccer is now just as prevalent in professional/international rugby. South Africa are ahead of the curve on the gamesmanship/cynical stuff. The tempo/clock management thing is noticeable with SA maybe because i watch a lot of soccer and am used to teams trying to break flow and slow things by anyway possible against my team. South Africa have conditioned their team towards power rather than endurance so constantly slow the tempo to allow recovery. For a New Zealand or Ireland I would be absolutely talking to the media about this pregame. Have your team be ready first at every scrum and lineout pointing out to the referee the delay. Have someone timing how long SA take between plays/downs. Create this narrative. It is part of modern coaching and sport organisations if you actually want to win.
assfly

Good morning gentleman, on this, the first week of another 208 weeks of the mighty Springboks being world champions.

What a game. It was scripted like a movie. I was cramping up with stress in the second half, barely noticed until it was 75 minutes in and I started to think we had it.

Just simply incredible. I feel like a different person. It's hard to describe how much emotional energy South African fans put into it.

Thanks for all the kinds comments, you know who are.

To the cynical and nasty comments, in case you didn't notice we welcome them and they will feed the beast for the next 4 years.
Sards

assfly wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:57 am Good morning gentleman, on this, the first week of another 208 weeks of the mighty Springboks being world champions.

What a game. It was scripted like a movie. I was cramping up with stress in the second half, barely noticed until it was 75 minutes in and I started to think we had it.

Just simply incredible. I feel like a different person. It's hard to describe how much emotional energy South African fans put into it.

Thanks for all the kinds comments, you know who are.

To the cynical and nasty comments, in case you didn't notice we welcome them and they will feed the beast for the next 4 years.
France and England........oh my vok...........far too much......poor losers
_Os_

petej wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:13 pm Feel similar. A lot of the shit/gamesmanship/cheating/cynical shite that puts me off football/soccer is now just as prevalent in professional/international rugby. South Africa are ahead of the curve on the gamesmanship/cynical stuff. The tempo/clock management thing is noticeable with SA maybe because i watch a lot of soccer and am used to teams trying to break flow and slow things by anyway possible against my team. South Africa have conditioned their team towards power rather than endurance so constantly slow the tempo to allow recovery. For a New Zealand or Ireland I would be absolutely talking to the media about this pregame. Have your team be ready first at every scrum and lineout pointing out to the referee the delay. Have someone timing how long SA take between plays/downs. Create this narrative. It is part of modern coaching and sport organisations if you actually want to win.
France (most kicking metres on average per match) thought that about the Boks (lowest kicking metres on average per match, along with Chile), then built their whole strategy around it.

France kicked deep as they did in their other matches. Pinning the Boks inside their own half, and not kicking the ball out starving the Boks of lineouts. They also didn't make the errors to give the Boks scrums. There were only 5 Bok lineouts and 8 Bok scrums in the whole match. France had 60% possession and 60% territory. France controlled a lot of the game and sped it up as much as they possibly could. The underlying logic of their strategy is that the Boks weren't fit or some variation of that (not conditioned properly etc), a now decades old myth. The outcome of all that was the three French tries came from forwards and two of those off their lineout, everything else was defended by the Boks. But what the French really underestimated was the Bok running game, especially on the counter, and how clinical it is. Having territory and possession doesn't matter if all it takes is one error and in less than three phases Kolbe or Arendse are scoring, the Boks are more than capable of going length of the field, they made the French backline look slow in that match. 3 of the 4 Bok tries came from the backs.

If the Boks were selecting for power Rassie wouldn't have built the squad he did from 2018 onwards. Kolbe is 30 years old and only has 31 test caps, because he was rejected before Rassie for being too small. No chance any other Bok coach selects both Kolbe and Arendse in the same XV. Kwagga Smith wouldn't have been selected either, too small. Kolisi was a squad player before Rassie because he was considered too small. This isn't a Bok power based team, the teams under Jake White and Peter de Villiers were that (Schalk Burger at 1.93m and 105kg, was the smallest forward in the Bok pack for the 2007 final). If Rassie built a squad for power he would've had the Du Preez twins, Marcell Coetzee, Thomas du Toit, etc. If this Bok side were about size, very quickly anyone smaller than Schalk goes onto the scrapheap. He selected for speed and skills. Even the big guys like Pieter-Steph or Eben, weren't selected and conditioned for power, Pieter-Steph just went 80 minutes in a RWC final and made 28 tackles.

Which is how the Boks pulled off wide defence like this when man v man the ABs were bigger, the Boks were more skilled in contact though (Kwagga/Kolbe/Arendse are all ex-Blitzboks):

Calculon

good post. i swear some people haven't actually seen the springboks play the last five years and are basing their idea of how they play from british media cliched shite
Rhubarb & Custard

Just for poops and giggles Arenas does rather drop onto a lower limb there, much as with Frizell on Mbonambi. Which does speak to the lottery of outcomes
TedMaul

Calculon wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:12 am good post. i swear some people haven't actually seen the springboks play the last five years and are basing their idea of how they play from british media cliched shite
Er the majority of us watched their last three games. No need to invent a clichéd negative narrative.
LoveOfTheGame

petej wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:13 pm
Slick wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:15 am
OomStruisbaai wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:59 am

If the iRB want to grow rugby, do it at the lowest structure not the top. You know there where the kids play. That's where our rugby are healthy.

Again go watch and play League or soccer or some shite.
I’m certainly done with international rugby, except for the 6N, for a while. Really find myself not enjoying all the shite that goes with it and just watching because I feel I should.

And completely agree, the lower levels are much more to my liking
Feel similar. A lot of the shit/gamesmanship/cheating/cynical shite that puts me off football/soccer is now just as prevalent in professional/international rugby. South Africa are ahead of the curve on the gamesmanship/cynical stuff. The tempo/clock management thing is noticeable with SA maybe because i watch a lot of soccer and am used to teams trying to break flow and slow things by anyway possible against my team. South Africa have conditioned their team towards power rather than endurance so constantly slow the tempo to allow recovery. For a New Zealand or Ireland I would be absolutely talking to the media about this pregame. Have your team be ready first at every scrum and lineout pointing out to the referee the delay. Have someone timing how long SA take between plays/downs. Create this narrative. It is part of modern coaching and sport organisations if you actually want to win.
Brilliant, I mean we have not heard this before. Don't let it being completely false get in your way mind. Keep beating that drum, fight the good fight my man. Whilst you are at it, could you also for your love of rugby please campaign against England wasting actual ball in play time with their very exciting to watch caterpillar rucks before the 6N starts. You have enough time, be all you can be.
Blake

assfly wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:57 am Good morning gentleman, on this, the first week of another 208 weeks of the mighty Springboks being world champions.

It's a pity that Chadwick Boseman passed away. He'd have been perfect as Siya Kolisi for Invictus 2.
handyman

As a bok supporter, I was sad for the NZ players standing around, waiting for the medal ceremony, some crying. It meant as much for them as for us. To lose by a point is a bitch.

Respect for that showing playing more than 50 minutes with 14 men.
Springboks, Stormers and WP supporter.
LoveOfTheGame

handyman wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:21 am As a bok supporter, I was sad for the NZ players standing around, waiting for the medal ceremony, some crying. It meant as much for them as for us. To lose by a point is a bitch.

Respect for that showing playing more than 50 minutes with 14 men.
Absolutely, massive respect for the AB boys! At one point I thought de Groot was going to tell the camera man to take his camera and shove it up his arse.. :lol:
Muttonbird

I get the feeling SA members of this forum are embarrassed with the result of the RWC final.

This crown clearly does not sit comfortably...
LoveOfTheGame

:wtf
assfly

Muttonbird wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:29 pm I get the feeling SA members of this forum are embarrassed with the result of the RWC final.

:lol: It fits just lekka
Sandstorm

Muttonbird wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:29 pm I get the feeling SA members of this forum are embarrassed with the result of the RWC final.

Not even close. Again. Muppet.
topofthemoon

Rhubarb & Custard wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:23 am Just for poops and giggles Arenas does rather drop onto a lower limb there, much as with Frizell on Mbonambi. Which does speak to the lottery of outcomes
It's a very specific offence though - law 9.20 (d) only applies when levering a jackler out of a ruck - so wouldn't be relevant to Arendse making a tackle.
OomStruisbaai

Malmesbury Missile

Gumboot

He was incredible. Best player on the park without a doubt.

Better than Juan Smith? Will leave that to the Saffers...
OomStruisbaai

Gumboot wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:22 am He was incredible. Best player on the park without a doubt.

He don't have a Province, will probably join Vermeulen at the Stormers.
boere wors

Gumboot wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:22 am He was incredible. Best player on the park without a doubt.

Juan Smith has always been my favorite bok blindside. But PSdT's athleticism is next level. Difficult choice.
Gumboot

We've struggled to find a true successor to Kaino at blindside. Thought Squire may have been the answer. Then Frizell. Then Akira. Then Blackadder. Then Frizell again, until now...But nobody's really nailed it, tbh. Meanwhile, the Boks have had enviable consistency in the position.
Tichtheid

Gumboot wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:18 am We've struggled to find a true successor to Kaino at blindside. Thought Squire may have been the answer. Then Frizell. Then Akira. Then Blackadder. Then Frizell again, until now...But nobody's really nailed it, tbh. Meanwhile, the Boks have had enviable consistency in the position.

I'd argue that with the exception of Savea, NZ haven't found a replacement for any of the back five of the scrum from the 2015 era side - by that I mean the current Retallick and Whitelock aren't what they were and Kaino, McCaw and Read made up the best back row unit the game has ever seen, probably.
OomStruisbaai

He had a mission on Jordy Barrett.
Insane_Homer

OomStruisbaai wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:42 am He had a mission on Jordy Barrett.
PSdT gave Jordy PTSD :thumbup:

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
OomStruisbaai

Insane_Homer wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:32 pm
OomStruisbaai wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:42 am He had a mission on Jordy Barrett.
PSdT gave Jordy PTSD :thumbup:

Jordy was very good against the Irish. He outplayed Aki in that quarter final.
Insane_Homer

glosses over quite a bit,
No acknowledgment of the AB disruption of the SA lineout which I thought was a key factor in the game.

Good point and scathing of Cane and his tackle and AB discipline in general.
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Eugenius

I’ve never expected Fosters team to win this RWC frankly my best hope was that they were actually competitive.

Certainly didn’t expect them to be hammer and tongs at the business end being so close to defeating a very good Bok side with 14 men .

Truth is I never saw Sam Canes face underneath and aloft cup with Fozzie standing beside him .

Let alone we bombed it with poor discipline and big game temperament ? That it was still well within the grasp of this very compromised and inconsistent NZ team ? That it was ours to lose ?

Not completely displeased let alone particularly disappointed.
Grandpa

Eugenius wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:46 am I’ve never expected Fosters team to win this RWC frankly my best hope was that they were actually competitive.

Certainly didn’t expect them to be hammer and tongs at the business end being so close to defeating a very good Bok side with 14 men .

Truth is I never saw Sam Canes face underneath and aloft cup with Fozzie standing beside him .

Let alone we bombed it with poor discipline and big game temperament ? That it was still well within the grasp of this very compromised and inconsistent NZ team ? That it was ours to lose ?

Perfect ending for Razor really... had they won, he'd be on a hiding to nothing... instead he knows the cattle are there to compete with the best... and with half the squad to rebuild... hopefully he can inspire them to be even better over the next four years... I'm looking forward to the journey...
Gumboot

Hmm, I wonder how much truth there is to this...
Stuff understands World Rugby has privately acknowledged to the All Blacks that the ruling out of Aaron Smith’s try in the final was in fact outside the rules, but is refusing to publicly acknowledge that.

Discussions have been ongoing in an effort to get World Rugby to publicly clarify that the TMO ruling was a breach of the current rules governing the game.

Smith’s disallowed try occurred in the 54th minute of the tense final at the Stade de France in Paris, following a brilliant break by Richie Mo’unga.

It was called back when TMO Tom Foley spotted a knock-on at a lineout, and referee Wayne Barnes then disallowed the try.

However, the knock-on happened four phases before the Smith try, despite the TMO only having the power to look back two phases for any knock-on in the buildup to a try.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/133 ... have-stood
Insane_Homer

Gumboot wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:59 am Hmm, I wonder how much truth there is to this...
Stuff understands World Rugby has privately acknowledged to the All Blacks that the ruling out of Aaron Smith’s try in the final was in fact outside the rules, but is refusing to publicly acknowledge that.

Discussions have been ongoing in an effort to get World Rugby to publicly clarify that the TMO ruling was a breach of the current rules governing the game.

Smith’s disallowed try occurred in the 54th minute of the tense final at the Stade de France in Paris, following a brilliant break by Richie Mo’unga.

It was called back when TMO Tom Foley spotted a knock-on at a lineout, and referee Wayne Barnes then disallowed the try.

However, the knock-on happened four phases before the Smith try, despite the TMO only having the power to look back two phases for any knock-on in the buildup to a try.

yeah, it would've been much better to have ignored the clear and blatant knock on and allow the try :thumbup: Strangely Barnes would have then been the NZ hero for missing such a blatantly obvious error.
Enzedder

Blatant?
blatant
/ˈbleɪtnt/
adjective
(of bad behaviour) done openly and unashamedly.
I drink and I forget things.
Insane_Homer

Enzedder wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:12 am Blatant?
blatant
/ˈbleɪtnt/
adjective
(of bad behaviour) done openly and unashamedly.
yeah, my bad. I should have said blatantly ignored.
OomStruisbaai

Grandpa wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:12 pm
Eugenius wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:46 am I’ve never expected Fosters team to win this RWC frankly my best hope was that they were actually competitive.

Perfect ending for Razor really... had they won, he'd be on a hiding to nothing... instead he knows the cattle are there to compete with the best... and with half the squad to rebuild... hopefully he can inspire them to be even better over the next four years... I'm looking forward to the journey...
I am a bit worried for you lot.

Who to blame if the Razor coached All Black team lose?
Uncle fester

Gumboot wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:59 am Hmm, I wonder how much truth there is to this...

Have to love the anonymous and non-attributed sources. It takes some doing to outdo the Saffer sense of victimhood but the keewees are getting there.
Grandpa

OomStruisbaai wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:35 am
Grandpa wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:12 pm

I am a bit worried for you lot.

Who to blame if the Razor coached All Black team lose?
More concerned about performance... the results will come if the performance is right... and I'm sure it won't look like a hodge podge tactics made-up ten minutes before the game approach that Foster employed before Schmidt and Ryan locked him in the cupboard...
Grandpa

Should be all the way back to last set piece.. not a two phase only nonsense... I'd have hated to have won on the back of that try... would leave a hollow feeling... when you win you want to feel like it was totally deserved...
Biffer

This thread's still fun, isn't it? Will fill in the time until the next World Cup at this rate
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Insane_Homer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-67424612
Burglars have broken into South Africa Rugby Union's offices and touched the World Cup trophy they won in France but they did not steal it.

The burglary took place on Monday in Cape Town's northern suburbs at the Tygerberg Office Park in Plattekloof.

Videos have been shared by a local journalist on X showing men enter a room where the replica of the William Webb Ellis trophy is stored.

The men approach the trophy but continue to look around for loot.

South Africa won the Rugby World Cup on 28 October after beating New Zealand in Paris and becoming the first nation to win the tournament four times.

The break-in happened at around 22:00 local time (22:00 GMT) and Western Cape police were told of concerns that the trophy had been stolen.

The police recorded two cases of business burglary after two incidents at the office park.

Sandstorm

Insane_Homer wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:26 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-67424612
Burglars have broken into South Africa Rugby Union's offices and touched the World Cup trophy they won in France but they did not steal it.

The burglary took place on Monday in Cape Town's northern suburbs at the Tygerberg Office Park in Plattekloof.

Videos have been shared by a local journalist on X showing men enter a room where the replica of the William Webb Ellis trophy is stored.

The men approach the trophy but continue to look around for loot.

South Africa won the Rugby World Cup on 28 October after beating New Zealand in Paris and becoming the first nation to win the tournament four times.

The break-in happened at around 22:00 local time (22:00 GMT) and Western Cape police were told of concerns that the trophy had been stolen.

The police recorded two cases of business burglary after two incidents at the office park.

Even those on wrong kant of the law still respect the Win. :smile:
Sards

The ABs never lose. It's always the refs fault