Old Princes Highway - road trip advice please

Where goats go to escape
Gumboot

G'day Anzac cobbers.

I'm going to Melbourne for a week in April, and planned on a couple of road trips to places I haven't visited before. First will be a couple of days to Bendigo, Ballarat and back. Then I want to spend 4 days going up the coast to Wollongong.

I've been interested in moving to Oz for a while, and now that the op's out of the way, I thought this might be a good chance to check out a few smaller cities/towns to see what appeals.

No idea where best to spend the 2 nights on the way to Wollongong though, so any tips would be appreciated. Also any must-see attractions en route.

Cheers in advance.
Guy Smiley

I drove Melbourne to Sydney on the Princes Hwy in 1990. We rushed it, did it in a day.... I really wish we hadn't.

I wouldn't venture a recommendation now as I've not been back but it might be worth keeping in mind you can run a quick detour into the high country from the coast and perhaps see something of the Monaro region

https://www.snowymonaro.nsw.gov.au/Comm ... aro-Region

while further north, Kangaroo Valley gets a lot of hype

https://www.visitnsw.com/destinations/s ... roo-valley
Gumboot

Guy Smiley wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:53 am I drove Melbourne to Sydney on the Princes Hwy in 1990. We rushed it, did it in a day.... I really wish we hadn't.

I wouldn't venture a recommendation now as I've not been back but it might be worth keeping in mind you can run a quick detour into the high country from the coast and perhaps see something of the Monaro region

https://www.snowymonaro.nsw.gov.au/Comm ... aro-Region

while further north, Kangaroo Valley gets a lot of hype

https://www.visitnsw.com/destinations/s ... roo-valley
Thanks, Guy. Kangaroo Valley looks good, but not that keen on snow in Australia tbh, so "mountains" are out.

Would prefer to stick to the coast unless there's somewhere much more interesting inland.
Sandstorm

I hear Canberra is a lot of fun.
Guy Smiley

Gumboot wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:03 am Thanks, Guy. Kangaroo Valley looks good, but not that keen on snow in Australia tbh, so "mountains" are out.

Would prefer to stick to the coast unless there's somewhere much more interesting inland.
Mountains and Australia isn't a combination that excites the imagination, is it? :lol:

It's just a personal curiosity of mine... to see some of the 'high country' that region includes. Memory is faint now but I think I found the trip more interesting once we were into NSW as the Victorian leg covered some relatively flat terrain. Once we were into NSW the road began to get more interesting. Bateman's Bay was a busy little town and I see on the map that there are quite a lot of little coastal spots close to that. Melbourne friends back in the day used to talk about spending weekends out at Wilson's Promontory... that might be worth a detour and a look.
mat the expat

If you stop off at Mallacoota you can get pies from the shop Clogs does :grin:

Eden is a great spot also - I spent Xmas there 2 years ago.

Basically the towns are spaced quite well apart from the NSW border up to Wollongong. Definitely go to Jervis Bay to see the white sand beaches.

I've holidayed a fair bit on the South Coast and have driven the entire East Coast Seaboard over the years. If you need specifics, let me know :thumbup:
Kiwias

mat the expat wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 am If you stop off at Mallacoota you can get pies from the shop Clogs does :grin:

Basically the towns are spaced quite well apart from the NSW border up to Wollongong. Definitely go to Jervis Bay to see the white sand beaches.

I've holidayed a fair bit on the South Coast and have driven the entire East Coast Seaboard over the years. If you need specifics, let me know :thumbup:
How early will he have to get there before Clogs has scoffed the lot?
Guy Smiley

Here’s an idea for the Great Australian Road Trip…

Visit the pie shops that Clogs hasn’t been to.

It would be one of two things… a very short road trip, or a very long one.
Gumboot

Kiwias wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:25 am
mat the expat wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 am If you stop off at Mallacoota you can get pies from the shop Clogs does :grin:

How early will he have to get there before Clogs has scoffed the lot?
:lol: Google tells me it's 6 hours from Melbourne, so unless I left at midnight I wouldn't have a shit show.

@mat
Cheers for that. Thought I might try to get to Eden on the first day, then to Jervis Bay on day 2, although I might go on to Wollongong.

I see that the road forks just north of Nowra...do you reckon it would be worth heading inland through Kangaroo Valley and maybe checking out Moss Vale and Bowral? Or is it better to stick to the coast south of Wollongong? I don't intend on spending hours at the beach every day, as my top priority is a recce of places I might like to move to... whether that's a coastal town or not doesn't really matter, as long as it feels right.

Plus, I'd like to check out the Illawarra Escarpment at some point.

Thanks again. :thumbup:
mat the expat

Guy Smiley wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:34 am Here’s an idea for the Great Australian Road Trip…

Visit the pie shops that Clogs hasn’t been to.

It would be one of two things… a very short road trip, or a very long one.
In fairness, working all through NSW, VIC and WA, I've probably beaten him for Pie Shop visits...... we won't mention the Vanilla Slices! :oops:
mat the expat

Gumboot wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:56 am
@mat
Cheers for that. Thought I might try to get to Eden on the first day, then to Jervis Bay on day 2, although I might go on to Wollongong.

I see that the road forks just north of Nowra...do you reckon it would be worth heading inland through Kangaroo Valley and maybe checking out Moss Vale and Bowral? Or is it better to stick to the coast south of Wollongong? I don't intend on spending hours at the beach every day, as my top priority is a recce of places I might like to move to... whether that's a coastal town or not doesn't really matter, as long as it feels right.

Plus, I'd like to check out the Illawarra Escarpment at some point.

Thanks again. :thumbup:
Unless you like Naval Bases and Bogans, you can avoid Nowra!

Do you have to be in Wollongong for any particular reason - it's nice but Jervis Bay is well worth the visit.

The best trip from there is to fork left to Kangaroo vally and then out through Berry. Alternatively, you can go up to Fitzroy Falls and see the Big Potato at Robertson (best Pie shop!) on the way down to Shellharbour (Best Fish and Chip shop there).

Bowral and Moss Vale are very English - I love going there in Autumn/Winter for my hit of nostalgia but there really isn't much there.

The roads are mostly single carriageway with passing lanes - you really notice the difference when you cross the border from VIC!
Gumboot

mat the expat wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:22 amDo you have to be in Wollongong for any particular reason - it's nice but Jervis Bay is well worth the visit.

The best trip from there is to fork left to Kangaroo vally and then out through Berry. Alternatively, you can go up to Fitzroy Falls and see the Big Potato at Robertson (best Pie shop!) on the way down to Shellharbour (Best Fish and Chip shop there).

Bowral and Moss Vale are very English - I love going there in Autumn/Winter for my hit of nostalgia but there really isn't much there.

The roads are mostly single carriageway with passing lanes - you really notice the difference when you cross the border from VIC!
Wollongong holds no particular attraction, other than it's a big town within easy distance of Sydney, which I really like but probably can't afford to live in any more. Kind of how I feel about Toowoomba, which I planned to check out earlier this year, until the sprog talked me out of it and we went to the States instead.
Gumboot

Maybe better to turn around in Jervis Bay and spend more time exploring the southern NSW coast on the way back to Melbourne? And plan for 5 days instead of 4.

I want to go to Ballarat because of a family connection, but don't really know anything about Bendigo. Maybe cut that down to a day trip instead?
Slick

Spent a fair bit of time in Jervis Bay, in fact was there last Christmas, lovely wee place with a couple of belting breweries. Bloody expensive though due to 2nd homes (like my sister).

The pie shop in Robertson is awesome. We stopped in Wollongong for the first time and I thought it looked a great place.

ie the fork in the road, we didn't have time to go the interesting way, but the other way is reasonably dull.
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
mat the expat

Gumboot wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:08 am Maybe better to turn around in Jervis Bay and spend more time exploring the southern NSW coast on the way back to Melbourne? And plan for 5 days instead of 4.

I want to go to Ballarat because of a family connection, but don't really know anything about Bendigo. Maybe cut that down to a day trip instead?
Bendigo and Ballarat have amazing goldrush architecture and are supposed to be really nice
mat the expat

Slick wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:32 pm
Spent a fair bit of time in Jervis Bay, in fact was there last Christmas, lovely wee place with a couple of belting breweries. Bloody expensive though due to 2nd homes (like my sister).

The pie shop in Robertson is awesome. We stopped in Wollongong for the first time and I thought it looked a great place.

ie the fork in the road, we didn't have time to go the interesting way, but the other way is reasonably dull.
My mate is the head brewer of one of them in the Bay.

Wollongong is a great spot - I tossed up that and Newcastle - we ended up moving to Newcastle as there are more facilities here.

Now I need a pie!
Slick

mat the expat wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:41 am

Wollongong is a great spot - I tossed up that and Newcastle - we ended up moving to Newcastle as there are more facilities here.

Now I need a pie!
Do you know if it’s the pink brewery or the other one? Both just as good imo. Oz really does the small independent breweries well from what I’ve seen
Deepsouth

Slick wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:52 am

Now I need a pie!
Do you know if it’s the pink brewery or the other one? Both just as good imo. Oz really does the small independent breweries well from what I’ve seen
Land of milk and honey mate. Haven't you heard......
Gumboot

Now I need a pie!
Cheers for all the suggestions, guys. Think I probably should've made it a two-week trip...
mat the expat

This one:

https://jervisbaybrewing.co/

I am lucky to know quite a few of the progenitors.

I didn't get involved but definitely may have given some pointers from my old career as a Cellarman in the UK

None can make proper Brown Ales though :cry:
mat the expat

Gumboot wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:38 pm

Cheers for all the suggestions, guys. Think I probably should've made it a two-week trip...
It is a great area - I was extremely luck to travel all over Oz for work, driving long distance, when I fist arrived here. After that I had jobs supporting Manufacturing which is always in odd places in Aussie towns.

Great way to learn a country and find the best pies!
Slick

mat the expat wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:20 am

This one:

I am lucky to know quite a few of the progenitors.

I didn't get involved but definitely may have given some pointers from my old career as a Cellarman in the UK

None can make proper Brown Ales though :cry:
Aye, great place.

probably just my experience but the taprooms we went to there, Perth and in Sydney seemed to manage to attract a much less bogan crowd than the pubs, always really friendly and a good laugh.
mat the expat

That's because Bogans won't drink "that grapefruit/pineapple tasting shite!", whilst consuming vast amounts of cane champagne
Gumboot

mat the expat wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:20 am

This one:

Dang, that looks like a great place to visit. (licks lips)

Although it would be only fair to enjoy a schooner or two at both. :grin:
Gumboot

Just a random thought, but I'm assuming the drive south would be better, being on the seaward side of the road with the sun behind you?

Now thinking about taking an overnight train/bus straight to Wollongong, and spending an extra day on the road going back to Melbourne. Would save on a night's accommodation, too...
Gumboot

mat the expat wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:22 am
Gumboot wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:38 pm

It is a great area - I was extremely luck to travel all over Oz for work, driving long distance, when I fist arrived here. After that I had jobs supporting Manufacturing which is always in odd places in Aussie towns.

Great way to learn a country and find the best pies!
Yep. I spent six months living with my aunt in Sydney when I was 18. First got a job as a sales rep for a publishing company servicing bookstores throughout the state. Had a company car, an expense account, and almost complete autonomy. The longest drive I ever did was out through Griffith as far as Mildura.
Grandpa

Is Australia cheaper or more expensive to live in (as a Pensioner) than NZ? Or pretty similar? I'm not sure I want to live in England once I retire so was thinking of returning to NZ, but that place seems more expensive than the UK currently.. so wondered if Australia was cheaper?
Guy Smiley

Grandpa wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:45 am Is Australia cheaper or more expensive to live in (as a Pensioner) than NZ? Or pretty similar? I'm not sure I want to live in England once I retire so was thinking of returning to NZ, but that place seems more expensive than the UK currently.. so wondered if Australia was cheaper?
I've just had a conversation with a mate about this very thing. He and I have worked at a couple of the same sites in Oz... and here in NZ. He still works in Oz and commutes back here. We were discussing the common complaint heard here in NZ about cost of living, which like everywhere, has gone through the roof. A lot of younger Kiwis talk about going to Australia for better life opportunities... especially with current pressures, but that's hardly a new thing, we've done that since the 1970s at least.

Some rough comparisons... I reregistered my car last month, $106 per year. He has a workmate living in Queensland who just reregistered a ute and motorcycle... $2500 per year.

I bought a pint of full strength craft beer the other day at my local, $12. Mate bought a schooner / metric pint of XXXX Gold at a pub in Glenelg, Adelaide last week that cost him $11.

Groceries seem to be roughly on par with some random items being way out of whack in one place compared to the other... similar duopolies exist on both sides of the Tasman in the supermarket business but Australia is seeing more competition enter the market whereas NZ has allowed the business to set its own rules.

The housing market is fucked in both countries... Kiwis possibly don't appreciate or realise that Aussies are going through similar rental pain with the market supercharged (I think AirBnB should be banned from the face of the earth) and actual house prices ballistic in NZ and lagging comparatively in Australia.

Prescription medicine is cheaper in NZ, with a lot of meds free on a scrip. We will see a $5 surcharge introduced here soon across the board. Health services are struggling everywhere, finding a GP with space is one thing, one you like is another thing again.

Public transport within the larger towns and cities of Australia leaves NZ's paltry services for dead.

There's much more to it, I might add to the list if I think of other stuff.
Clogs

I have just popped in here randomly and read this thread only to find I will now be hard at work with much cutting of certain posters. Pack of carnts. :mad:
Clogs

Gumboot wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:43 am G'day Anzac cobbers.

I'm going to Melbourne for a week in April, and planned on a couple of road trips to places I haven't visited before. First will be a couple of days to Bendigo, Ballarat and back. Then I want to spend 4 days going up the coast to Wollongong.

I've been interested in moving to Oz for a while, and now that the op's out of the way, I thought this might be a good chance to check out a few smaller cities/towns to see what appeals.

No idea where best to spend the 2 nights on the way to Wollongong though, so any tips would be appreciated. Also any must-see attractions en route.

Cheers in advance.

G'day Gumboot.

If you have a few days kicking in and around Melbourne, I would suggest Either Bendigo or Ballarat. Much of a muchness there. Ballarat is closer to Melbourne. They are really just large country towns. They have some great mining history. I would also suggest a trip out to Healesville and Yarra Glen to the wineries. Great food, beer and wine to be had there. Heading the other way I would suggest a trip down to Lorne via the Great Ocean Road. That could easily fill a few days for you.

For your trip back to Syderney travelling up the coast road you are really spoilt for choice. Melbourne to Lakes Entrance (possible stop) is about 4 hours. There isn't a lot between Lakes Entrance and Eden (unless you are prepared for a 35 minute detour off the highway into Mallacoota). Which is lovely (I spend 3 weeks there very January) and know it like the back of my hand. Eden is a nice town, but Merimbula is better. About 7-8 hours from Melbourne. So you can do this section of the drive in a day, but you will probably be a bit knackered when you hit Merimbula.

From Merimbula up there are some stunning places to stop in. I would recommend a night in Huskisson (just south of Wollongong). You can take the Princes from Merimbula via Bega, but remember this is now taking you a fair way inland and bypasses Tathra and Bermi. Or you can take the more country road which still runs near the coast, take in those two towns and plenty more vista's before reconnecting with the Princes after Bermagui. This will take you a bit longer of course.

Stay in Huski, then on to Wollongong taking in Berry, the blowhole at Kiama etc.

For 4 days and 3 overnights it could be something like.

Melb to Lakes.
Lakes to Merimbula.
Merimbula to Huskisson.
Huskisson to Wollongong.

I reckon you will have plenty of time for lunch stops etc on the way and get to see a few more of the towns along the way.

If you really have to push it I would say don't do the stay in lakes, make the effort to drive to Merimbula and then take more time up the South Coast of NSW cos the drive from Melbourne to Eden is not a coastal drive. It is at times very flat and boring.
Gumboot

Thanks for all that, Clogs. Very helpful. :thumbup:
Grandpa

Guy Smiley wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:44 pm
Grandpa wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:45 am Is Australia cheaper or more expensive to live in (as a Pensioner) than NZ? Or pretty similar? I'm not sure I want to live in England once I retire so was thinking of returning to NZ, but that place seems more expensive than the UK currently.. so wondered if Australia was cheaper?
I've just had a conversation with a mate about this very thing. He and I have worked at a couple of the same sites in Oz... and here in NZ. He still works in Oz and commutes back here. We were discussing the common complaint heard here in NZ about cost of living, which like everywhere, has gone through the roof. A lot of younger Kiwis talk about going to Australia for better life opportunities... especially with current pressures, but that's hardly a new thing, we've done that since the 1970s at least.

Some rough comparisons... I reregistered my car last month, $106 per year. He has a workmate living in Queensland who just reregistered a ute and motorcycle... $2500 per year.

I bought a pint of full strength craft beer the other day at my local, $12. Mate bought a schooner / metric pint of XXXX Gold at a pub in Glenelg, Adelaide last week that cost him $11.

Groceries seem to be roughly on par with some random items being way out of whack in one place compared to the other... similar duopolies exist on both sides of the Tasman in the supermarket business but Australia is seeing more competition enter the market whereas NZ has allowed the business to set its own rules.

The housing market is fucked in both countries... Kiwis possibly don't appreciate or realise that Aussies are going through similar rental pain with the market supercharged (I think AirBnB should be banned from the face of the earth) and actual house prices ballistic in NZ and lagging comparatively in Australia.

Prescription medicine is cheaper in NZ, with a lot of meds free on a scrip. We will see a $5 surcharge introduced here soon across the board. Health services are struggling everywhere, finding a GP with space is one thing, one you like is another thing again.

Public transport within the larger towns and cities of Australia leaves NZ's paltry services for dead.

So I may as well stay in the UK... and take long holidays in both... :clap:

Thanks though. Interesting comparisons.
mat the expat

Clogs wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:02 pm I have just popped in here randomly and read this thread only to find I will now be hard at work with much cutting of certain posters. Pack of carnts. :mad:
:spin
mat the expat

Grandpa wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:07 am

I'm not across NZ but Australia is really strugging with cost of living - of course, our ACCC is completely useless and the big duopolies mean costs for everything has gone bonkers.

We rented for a year after selling our property and the rent was more expensive than our mortgage payment - both 2 bed units within 3km of the CBD

Shit's farked at present
Grandpa

mat the expat wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:44 am
Grandpa wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:07 am

I'm not across NZ but Australia is really strugging with cost of living - of course, our ACCC is completely useless and the big duopolies mean costs for everything has gone bonkers.

We rented for a year after selling our property and the rent was more expensive than our mortgage payment - both 2 bed units within 3km of the CBD

Shit's farked at present
It's certainly changed from 30 years ago... when NZ and Australia felt so cheap compared to the UK... now it's reversed.... though probably in another 10 years it might reverse again...
mat the expat

Australia is a the boiled frog syndrome. It's got more and more expensive since I've been here from 2002

Europe only looks more expensive due to the crap exchange rate at the moment
Sandstorm

mat the expat wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:14 am Australia is a the boiled frog syndrome. It's got more and more expensive since I've been here from 2002

Price of beer in SE England went from £2.90 in 2002 to £5.90 today
Dinsdale Piranha

Sandstorm wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:30 am
mat the expat wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:14 am Australia is a the boiled frog syndrome. It's got more and more expensive since I've been here from 2002

I wonder how much of that is skewed by some very expensive pubs and Central London. Still under a fiver in a couple of local pubs, plus Wetherspoons obviously.
SaintK

Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:47 am

I wonder how much of that is skewed by some very expensive pubs and Central London. Still under a fiver in a couple of local pubs, plus Wetherspoons obviously.
£6-90 for a pint of Guinness in The Devonshire Soho last week!!!!
Sandstorm

SaintK wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:59 am
Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:47 am

£6-90 for a pint of Guinness in The Devonshire Soho last week!!!!
Wine bars around The City will charge you £7 for a 330ml bottle of Becks!