Mulled Wine

Where goats go to escape
Jim Lahey

Hit me with your recipies.

I've only done it once before using my old man's recipe, and it involved a few hours' hustle making a syrup full of orange peels and a load of other stuff I can't remember, the night before. The whole house would stink of it for a few days, lovely smell!

Need to make enough for 10 adults on Xmas Eve. Needs to pack a punch (my Dad used to fire vodka, whiskey and brandy into it [one year he used potcheen ffs :lol: ]), but I also need people to fuck off early so I can get the kids down and build some toys, so a balance is required.
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
Insane_Homer

Just piss in a jug.
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
shaggy

Mulled Cider was the thing trendy people were drinking 2-3 years ago. Is Mulled Wine making a comeback?

Edit - forgot COVID. 4-5 years ago.
pjm1

Love a mulled wine. Have tried various techniques to avoid it becoming "cooked wine", or - worse - boiling off too much alcohol, which defeats the purpose!

As with most things food-related, Serious Eats is the best starting place: https://www.seriouseats.com/how-to-mull ... ter-review

Don't bother with pre-bought mixes. Waste of time and money. Think of all the christmas spices, add a few cardamoms and a good dose of coriander seeds for good measure and you're golden. Trick of course is to never boil... or if bringing to the boil to extract specific flavours from the spices or citrus, only do so with a small amount of the red wine. Then add the rest, bring up to 80C to steep and keep at/around that temp for 2-3 hours. Add your brandy at the end and, if using freshly squeezed OJ from the orange(s), I peel the oranges to get the zest, squeeze the hulls to get the juice and add each separately - hulls first, zest with about 30min to go and add freshly squeezed juice right at end so not to lose volatiles.

Normally red wine is plenty tannic enough, especially if buying cheapo. So be careful about adding too many orange hulls, which add an interesting, but noticeable bitterness. Definitely toast off the spices before adding - I also sometimes toast off some walnuts and add those as well. Prunes, dates etc. can be great when added after (but not before) any boil. Lovely to eat at the end!
SaintK

Insane_Homer wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:53 pm Just piss in a jug.
Far too kind
Dreadful stuff :thumbdown: :sick:
Lobby

Jim Lahey

So far it seems that pjm1 and myself are the only lads on this thread that don't allow their wives to put things inside us.

Cheers pjm1, will take your advice on board.
Ian Madigan for Ireland.