Official Wales v Scotland thread

Where goats go to escape
Sandstorm

Really good Rugby from the Tier 2 nations this weekend. 6N still a great tournament.
ASMO

Wales will take a lot more from that than Scotland will...as mentioned earlier, this 6N is a 1 horse race...spacker fight for the minor places
Big D

ASMO wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:44 pm Wales will take a lot more from that than Scotland will...as mentioned earlier, this 6N is a 1 horse race...spacker fight for the minor places
In time for the players, winning in that stadium is a monkey off their back.
Last edited by Big D on Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sefton

The hope will have killed C69, well that and 6 pies and pork scratching at HT.
ASMO

sefton wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:45 pm The hope will have killed C69, well that and 6 pies and pork scratching at HT.
His skin on certain parts will be red raw
Uncle fester

That was hilarious.
Tattie

Wow. Russell, our captain, admitting that they thought the game was won at 27-0, can Scotland get any more amateur hour?

We will get demolished in Dublin.
sefton

Tattie wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:49 pm Wow. Russell, our captain, admitting that they thought the game was won at 27-0, can Scotland get any more amateur hour?

Going on this weekend Ireland will roll everybody like cheap whores in a carpet.
Slick

Big D wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:41 pm What an embarrassment of a second half.

Townsend either refuses to (very unlikely) or can't reign in the significant discipline problem. He has to clamp down on it. If it means sacking Tandy and getting a new defensive system in place or dropping players then so be it. Enough is enough
Finns comments quite revealing, I think heads will roll. Turner was especially idiotic today.
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
GrahamWa

Tattie wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:49 pm Wow. Russell, our captain, admitting that they thought the game was won at 27-0, can Scotland get any more amateur hour?

He thought there the was complacency and that can be the only reason. But he called out players for not listening to the messages of not going into rucks and challenging and they need to be reviewing what they were doing. I thought he was very good in the post match.

Nice for finally talking about accountability. And we've won with the roof closed so fuck 'em.
Uncle fester

Playing badly but still winning.
Mark of champions.
Big D

Slick wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:54 pm
Big D wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:41 pm What an embarrassment of a second half.

Townsend either refuses to (very unlikely) or can't reign in the significant discipline problem. He has to clamp down on it. If it means sacking Tandy and getting a new defensive system in place or dropping players then so be it. Enough is enough
Finns comments quite revealing, I think heads will roll. Turner was especially idiotic today.
Skinner gave away too many too.
SaintK

Big D wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:44 pm
SaintK wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:41 pm My Scots wife saying they could still blow it
But then she does every match they’re in the lead :lol:
Yeah it's in our blood to be worried.

Just had someone on another board telling me Russell has had only 2 good moments and could cost us the game.
Never in doubt :lol:
Uncle fester

Where is Torq?
He must be tumescent right now.
Tichtheid

Gatland being Gatland
Slick

GrahamWa wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:55 pm

He thought there the was complacency and that can be the only reason. But he called out players for not listening to the messages of not going into rucks and challenging and they need to be reviewing what they were doing. I thought he was very good in the post match.

Nice for finally talking about accountability. And we've won with the roof closed so fuck 'em.
Yup, agree with all of that
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
C69

ASMO wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:47 pm
sefton wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:45 pm The hope will have killed C69, well that and 6 pies and pork scratching at HT.
His skin on certain parts will be red raw
I would never open Pandora's box...snigger
Well hopefully Cawdor and Costello never play for Wales again and Leon Brown can feck off as well.
That's a really terrible Wales team. Love to see Bothams stats as I didn't notice him on the field.
Yr Alban

Wow. Well, at least we’re not wondering how on earth we managed to lose from 27-0 up. That would have been… hard to take. But we shat the bed in Cardiff YET AGAIN, and we have a soft centre that teams like Ireland will (do) expose relentlessly. We can play some excellent rugby, but if we fall to pieces when things don’t go our way then we’ll never win anything. (Not that that was ever likely after last night’s game).

First win since 2002 at our last remaining bogey ground. Should feel delighted, but sort of don’t. A truly good team doesn’t flirt with losing from that sort of position. They put a boot on the opposition’s throat and keep it there.
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
C69

Yr Alban wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:43 pm Wow. Well, at least we’re not wondering how on earth we managed to lose from 27-0 up. That would have been… hard to take. But we shat the bed in Cardiff YET AGAIN, and we have a soft centre that teams like Ireland will (do) expose relentlessly. We can play some excellent rugby, but if we fall to pieces when things don’t go our way then we’ll never win anything. (Not that that was ever likely after last night’s game).

First win since 2002 at our last remaining bogey ground. Should feel delighted, but sort of don’t. A truly good team doesn’t flirt with losing from that sort of position. They put a boot on the opposition’s throat and keep it there.
You are spot on.
You are just a bit less shit than our cobbled together rabble
Yr Alban

C69 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:56 pm
Yr Alban wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:43 pm Wow. Well, at least we’re not wondering how on earth we managed to lose from 27-0 up. That would have been… hard to take. But we shat the bed in Cardiff YET AGAIN, and we have a soft centre that teams like Ireland will (do) expose relentlessly. We can play some excellent rugby, but if we fall to pieces when things don’t go our way then we’ll never win anything. (Not that that was ever likely after last night’s game).

You are spot on.
You are just a bit less shit than our cobbled together rabble
It’s more that we only play for 40 mins of any game.
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
Tichtheid

It would be interesting to learn if any other team has won a game where the penalty count was 16-4 against with two yellow cards as part of it.
14 penalties against Scotland in a row - you'd think that would be some kind of record.

I very much doubt that we'll face that again.

For fifty minutes there was a huge gulf between the sides. For the last five it was back to that.
Last edited by Tichtheid on Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FalconJock

I was wondering who had done the interview and what they had done with Finn.

Not sure what this means going forward but perhaps it might be dissatisfaction with just winning, and the last time I saw that attitude from a Scottish captain was David Sole. It may show an attitude shift that will take us into being more aggressive during this upcoming World Cup cycle which raises us to '90/91 levels of competitiveness.

However with this being Scotland, this is probably the highpoint of this campaign because we have a really soft undebelly
Yr Alban

FalconJock wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:04 pm

I was wondering who had done the interview and what they had done with Finn.

Not sure what this means going forward but perhaps it might be dissatisfaction with just winning, and the last time I saw that attitude from a Scottish captain was David Sole. It may show an attitude shift that will take us into being more aggressive during this upcoming World Cup cycle which raises us to '90/91 levels of competitiveness.

However with this being Scotland, this is probably the highpoint of this campaign because we have a really soft undebelly
Well, Christ knows that we need someone to get tough about team discipline. If Finn is going to do that then I’m all for it.
FalconJock

Tichtheid wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:04 pm It would be interesting to learn if any team has won a game where the penalty count was 16-4 against with two yellow cards as part of it.
14 penalties against Scotland in a row - you'd think that would be some kind of record.

For fifty minutes there was a huge gulf between the sides. For the last five it was back to that.
What's annoying for me is that Wales were warned in about the 8th minute about being offside and adjusted, Scotland didn't. We are either thicker than a whale omlette or think that refs are dumber than a bag of rocks and all have short term memory problems.
Last edited by FalconJock on Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tichtheid

FalconJock wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:08 pm
Tichtheid wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:04 pm It would be interesting to learn if any team has won a game where the penalty count was 16-4 against with two yellow cards as part of it.

What's annoying for me is that Wales were warned in about the 8th minute about being offside and adjusted, Scotland didn't. We are either thicker than a whale omlette or think that refs are dumber than a bag of rocks and all have shor term memory problems.

You've hit on a point that was raised throughout the second half on the Glasgow bored by several posters - the feeling there was that Wales were warned/coached and Scotland were penalised
C69

Tichtheid wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:10 pm

What's annoying for me is that Wales were warned in about the 8th minute about being offside and adjusted, Scotland didn't. We are either thicker than a whale omlette or think that refs are dumber than a bag of rocks and all have shor term memory problems.

You've hit on a point that was raised throughout the second half on the Glasgow bored by several posters - the feeling there was that Wales were warned/coached and Scotland were penalised
FFS you lot are deluded
Tichtheid

C69 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:16 pm

FFS you lot are deluded

I'm going to watch it again very closely if I get the time. Without the high temperature of a live match.

There was a huge difference between that 30 minute period in the second half and the rest of the match and there was a run of 14 penalties in favour of Wales, none for Scotland.

I want to have a look and see what happened.

I'll report back if I do it.

I did hear O'Keefe telling "red" players to do this or that at a ruck, I want to see if he did the same for "blue"
Yr Alban

FFS you lot are deluded
I won’t comment on the game as I haven’t seen it yet. But the one thing we absolutely are not is deluded. We are more painfully aware of our flaws than anyone.
Big D

Tichtheid wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:04 pm It would be interesting to learn if any other team has won a game where the penalty count was 16-4 against with two yellow cards as part of it.

It's the same pattern. Pressure comes on, defence goes really passive, give away pens and cards.
Tichtheid

Big D wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:30 pm
Tichtheid wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:04 pm It would be interesting to learn if any other team has won a game where the penalty count was 16-4 against with two yellow cards as part of it.

It's the same pattern. Pressure comes on, defence goes really passive, give away pens and cards.

You're forced into retreat, it's always more difficult to defend against a team going forward, and momentum has always been huge in rugby.

I'm not one of those who are of the opinion that referees are always in the right, no matter what we see in front of us.

It was up to us to stem the tide and we did it eventually, it took far too long and that is on us.

There were little things as well - last night Ireland wasted a lot of time running down a card, today O'Keefe kept stopping the clock. All I'm asking for in that case is for the same to be applied in both matches.
Big D

Tichtheid wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:36 pm

You're forced into retreat, it's always more difficult to defend against a team going forward, and momentum has always been huge in rugby.

I'm not one of those who are of the opinion that referees are always in the right, no matter what we see in front of us.

It was up to us to stem the tide and we did it eventually, it took far too long and that is on us.

There were little things as well - last night Ireland wasted a lot of time running down a card, today O'Keefe kept stopping the clock. All I'm asking for in that case is for the same to be applied in both matches.
Momentum is a thing, but we consistently stop moving off the line and give up ground more than any other tier 1 nation in those situations. Taking off Crosbie instead of Ritchie during the binning didn't help with that.

Some of the ref decisions probably were wrong but we were close to career staining and record breaking capitulation. That isn't normal even allowing fornsome decisions going against the team.
FalconJock

FFS you lot are deluded
Sorry but in what way, Wales adjusted and Scotland didnt so brought pressure on themselves what part of this is delussional? Naturally Scots posters are going to focus on our faIlings rather than anything else.

IF Scotland dont compete at the ruck and get their defensive shape we dont lose the 2nd YC and maybe Wales dont get the try BP and we bring Redpath on earlier to stress the Welsh midfield defence instead of trying to cover our gap.

But just out of spite and to parphrase an ex England captain, we won so suck it up
sockwithaticket

I would imagine it's the notion that Wales were coached and Scotland penalised that sparks the accusation of delusion.
Tichtheid

Deluded my arse, I posted this several days ago
What is more likely is what others have described, Scotland do something stupid like get a player sent off, our lineout turns to dung and we cough up more than a dozen stupid penalties - all stuff that we can control but don't
I also said that we were miles better than Wales and we were, until the above happened
FalconJock

Big D wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:40 pm
Tichtheid wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:36 pm

Momentum is a thing, but we consistently stop moving off the line and give up ground more than any other tier 1 nation in those situations. Taking off Crosbie instead of Ritchie during the binning didn't help with that.

Some of the ref decisions probably were wrong but we were close to career staining and record breaking capitulation. That isn't normal even allowing fornsome decisions going against the team.
To defend the ref slightly in this one, he probably pissed off both sides enough with every decision that he was pretty even handed. IF (and its a really big IF) the head hit from one of the Scotland players was a Red Card then there was at least one from a Welsh player. Personally I thought Ben O'Keefe managed the match really well, ref teams miss things but I dont think anything game changing was missed.
Tichtheid

sockwithaticket wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:01 pm I would imagine it's the notion that Wales were coached and Scotland penalised that sparks the accusation of delusion.
a 16 - 4 overall penalty count, including 14 - 0 in a row in that period after van der Merwe's second half try is rather unusual, I would have thought.
sockwithaticket

Unusual, but not unprecedented. I'll admit to only keep half an eye on proceedings until the momentum swing, but I didn't feel like the ref was saying any more to the Welsh than he was the Scots.
C69

sockwithaticket wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:08 pm Unusual, but not unprecedented. I'll admit to only keep half an eye on proceedings until the momentum swing, but I didn't feel like the ref was saying any more to the Welsh than he was the Scots.
Nah he was fair. You guys imploded against our kids
JM2K6

I did notice early on with a Wales attack in the Scotland 22 that the Scottish defence was not quick off the line, almost passive. Easy metres. Was quite odd, and that's well before the rot set in.
Tichtheid

C69 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:12 pm
sockwithaticket wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:08 pm Unusual, but not unprecedented. I'll admit to only keep half an eye on proceedings until the momentum swing, but I didn't feel like the ref was saying any more to the Welsh than he was the Scots.
Nah he was fair. You guys imploded against our kids

Wales lost, twice in a row against Scotland now. Wales aren't beating Scotland any year soon.