Six Nations Round 2 - Ireland v Italy

Where goats go to escape
SaintK

Paddington Bear wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:27 pm Italy have competed pretty well but they’re totally outclassed
Yep
Going to be one way traffic in the second half
Slick

Darcy 😂😂
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
sturginho

Wheels starting to come off
Paddington Bear

Italy’s handling is bringing back repressed teenage memories of Martin Johnson management era England
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
clydecloggie

That's the second maul try that could have been penalized for obstruction. Mauls are a mess in current rugby.
PCPhil

Paddington Bear wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:08 pm Italy’s handling is bringing back repressed teenage memories of Martin Johnson management era England
Try to think about something happy.
“It was a pet, not an animal. It had a name, you don't eat things with names, this is horrific!”
sockwithaticket

Definitely double movement on first view.
salanya

sockwithaticket wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:15 pm Definitely double movement on first view.
It was. Thought Pearce wasn't going to call it for a minute.
Over the hills and far away........
Paddington Bear

God it’s refreshing watching a game with a competent ref
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Dinsdale Piranha

sockwithaticket wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:15 pm Definitely double movement on first view.
Credit to Pearce for that one. Focusing on whether the tackle is complete and after seeing the replay, changes his mind.
fishfoodie

Paddington Bear wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:17 pm God it’s refreshing watching a game with a competent ref
To be fair, they didn't have this instance have a dozen bodies in the way doing their best to hide what was happening
salanya

Good to take Keenan off - he's too important, no need to risk him.
sturginho

Fucks sake, even when Italy do something good they manage to find a way to fuck it up
fishfoodie

For a bloke supposedly with a degenerative ankle? issue, Lowe has been some player for Leinster & Ireland
salanya

Some strength by Lowe.
Poor kicking by Crowley today
Ymx

Going to donut them sadly.
fishfoodie

Ymx wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:30 pm Going to donut them sadly.
Probably.

Not fair, & not reflective of how they've played, but this Irish squad is very good.
Slick

fishfoodie wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:24 pm For a bloke supposedly with a degenerative ankle? issue, Lowe has been some player for Leinster & Ireland
He’s really grown on me as a player the last couple of years, top class
sockwithaticket

fishfoodie wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:36 pm
Ymx wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:30 pm Going to donut them sadly.
Probably.

Not fair, & not reflective of how they've played, but this Irish squad is very good.
It kind of is tbh. Italy have hung in doggedly to keep the score down, but they've rarely looked like threatening a score of their own.
ASMO

Ireland overcomplicating things, its been an ordinary performance by their standards. 6/10 maximum, will still be enough to put England away with plenty to spare.
Paddington Bear

Italy were dogged but that was men against boys
C69

Wales next for Ireland in Dublin.
Should be a 50 pointer, Wales results have massively flattered them and I doubt Ireland will be so forgiving.
Jim Lahey

Ireland never really having to get out of 2nd gear.

Good game from McCloskey. Plays much better when not surrounded by Ulstermen.
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
yermum

salanya wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:25 pm Poor kicking by Crowley today
Missed 2 touchline conversions. Bossed the rest of the game when he was at 10. Harry Byrne was a step down when he came on.
salanya

yermum wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:58 pm
Missed 2 touchline conversions. Bossed the rest of the game when he was at 10. Harry Byrne was a step down when he came on.
No need to get defensive.
He played well, but his kicking wasn't good. One of the kicks was not that difficult.
Camroc2

Crowley is well able to kick goals, I wouldn't worry about that. It's his kicking from hand, and when he chooses to do it is the problem.

Also Harry Óg did fine when he came on.
JM2K6

His kicking for touch seemed a bit off too tbh. And on another day the no look passes get called forward - one of them was ludicrously illegal - and then the conversation around him is significantly less positive.

Still, he looked pretty comfortable and his decision making was good.
fishfoodie

JM2K6 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:15 pm
His kicking for touch seemed a bit off too tbh. And on another day the no look passes get called forward - one of them was ludicrously illegal - and then the conversation around him is significantly less positive.

He is surrounded by a lot of good players, which takes some of the pressure off him.

In the run up to one of the tries, there was a ropey pass thrown, & Henshaw just stuttered slightly before moving the ball along & that tiny stutter fixed the timing & the try was scored.

I'd also like to see Blade given another shot at being the backup SH to JGP, as I think he is better than Casey.
ASMO

fishfoodie wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:23 pm
JM2K6 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:15 pm

He is surrounded by a lot of good players, which takes some of the pressure off him.

In the run up to one of the tries, there was a ropey pass thrown, & Henshaw just stuttered slightly before moving the ball along & that tiny stutter fixed the timing & the try was scored.

I'd also like to see Blade given another shot at being the backup SH to JGP, as I think he is better than Casey.
Have to agree, he looked a bit shit, with all the good ball he was given, he should have done a lot more.
sturginho

Paddington Bear wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:40 pm
sturginho wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:37 pm
Paddington Bear wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:32 pm Varney and being charged down - an iconic duo.

Also love Pearce reffing the choke tackle properly
It's a real problem, garbisino can't kick, varney keeps getting charged down, hopefully page-relo is better?
I don’t get why they keep trying it - just run the ball
One of the big taking points in the build up to the 6N was the exit strategy and the need to kick more as trying to run it from everywhere was getting them into trouble. But since all our scrum halves are so bad at box kicking I'd much rather they fling the ball to Pani and let him use that massive boot of his
Paddington Bear

sturginho wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:23 am
sturginho wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:37 pm

It's a real problem, garbisino can't kick, varney keeps getting charged down, hopefully page-relo is better?
One of the big taking points in the build up to the 6N was the exit strategy and the need to kick more as trying to run it from everywhere was getting them into trouble. But since all our scrum halves are so bad at box kicking I'd much rather they fling the ball to Pani and let him use that massive boot of his
This isn’t unique to Italy, so many pro teams play games they aren’t capable of playing because it’s the done thing. I.e everyone’s 9 box kicks now so Italy have to. Loads of Premiership games involve teams whose scrum has gone to bits still packing down and trying to monster it rather than a quick hook and gone from the 8, seemingly because accepting that’s your game is professionally embarrassing.
Slick

Paddington Bear wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:44 am

This isn’t unique to Italy, so many pro teams play games they aren’t capable of playing because it’s the done thing. I.e everyone’s 9 box kicks now so Italy have to. Loads of Premiership games involve teams whose scrum has gone to bits still packing down and trying to monster it rather than a quick hook and gone from the 8, seemingly because accepting that’s your game is professionally embarrassing.
Totally agree with this and been having similar thoughts.
Lobby

Prime example in the Scotland game when France were down to 14 men. Scotland called a scrum in the French 22 on a penalty and tried (and failed) to monster the French scrum rather than moving the ball quickly to the backs where they had a numerical advantage. End result, penalty to France and pressure relieved.
Paddington Bear

Lobby wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:58 am

Prime example in the Scotland game when France were down to 14 men. Scotland called a scrum in the French 22 on a penalty and tried (and failed) to monster the French scrum rather than moving the ball quickly to the backs where they had a numerical advantage. End result, penalty to France and pressure relieved.
Right. I get you’ve got to have a different and less cautious mindset to play pro rugby, and particularly in the tight 5. However cool heads tend to be pretty critical to any great side.

On the wider point, just take your points every time you’re offered them in test rugby.