Tucker interviews Putin

Where goats go to escape
Ymx

He’ll no doubt be rewarded with plenty of Rubles for this.

I really don’t get this pro Russia thing with the US bunch.
Uncle fester

Ymx wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:55 pm He’ll no doubt be rewarded with plenty of Rubles for this.

Putin spouts quite a lot of topics that are culture war touchstones to the extent that you wonder about the direct relationship between his regime and those culture wars.

As for his history lesson, :roll:
tabascoboy

putin takes his interpretation of questionable 1000-year-old scrolls, 13th-century legends, Soviet "archives", completely devoid of any nuance, and tries to pull them together as a proper justification for murdering hundreds of thousands of people today.

Yes bro, this totally has nothing to do with you just wanting to become another tsar, scared shitless of getting strangled with a pillow.

We know who you are, a chekist. And an embodiment of everything terrible that russia is known for.

One "highlight" of the Tucker Carlson Putin "interview" was Putin claiming that he'd chastised Zelensky for "supporting neo-Nazis in Ukraine" when Zelensky's father - who was born in 1947 - had fought in the Red Army in the Second World War.
Gumboot

Netanyahu next?
inactionman

Who's the psycho who keeps threatening to nuke Ukraine and flood Ireland with a tsunami? Is it Medvedev or Lavrov? I forget. They all sound alike.

Anyway, pukka Tucker should interview him next.
Ymx

Uncle fester wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:10 am
Ymx wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:55 pm He’ll no doubt be rewarded with plenty of Rubles for this.

Putin spouts quite a lot of topics that are culture war touchstones to the extent that you wonder about the direct relationship between his regime and those culture wars.

He’s been so deluded by his own lies, and surrounded by yes men.

I really don’t think it went the way he thinks it did.

Rather pathetic how Tucker had to do that initial comment about how he tried to rationalise the history lesson.
petej

Uncle fester wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:10 am

The relationship between his regime and the culture wars is direct. I don't think it is structured in an intentional left or right wing fashion just that he has had more success with right wing groups in the USA and UK with the likes of trump and farage. The overall aim is to destabilise democracies anyway possible.
sockwithaticket

Gerasimov doctrine - sow as much dischord as possible to keep your geopolitical enemies from being able to concentrate on acting against you. Given how their army is faring in Ukraine, he really should've stuck to the cheap yet effective online astro-turfing, troll farms.
Rhubarb & Custard

Ymx wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:14 am

Carlson or Putin?
fishfoodie

I wonder is Gitmo still available for residents ?
US Constitution, Article III, Section 3, Clause 1 wrote: Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.
If a Federal finding that Russia interfered in the last few US Elections, & hacked sensitive US data doesn't qualify them as an Enemy, I don't know what would ?
tabascoboy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts on Putin's interview with Tucker Carlson:

◾️ Carlson wanted the interview to be a political sensation and an information breakthrough.
But it turned out to be mediocre and unimpressive.
There was no sensation. The conversation was boring, stretched out, with repetitions.

◾️ Tucker Carlson was virtually absent from the interview. There was no active manner of conducting the conversation. He looked completely superfluous. He was being used, and that's what it looked like.

◾️ For Carlson, this interview was a professional defeat. The meeting with Putin was not another stepping stone to the pinnacle of Tucker's journalistic and possibly political career.
I think this interview will seriously damage his career.

◾️ In this conversation, Tucker Carlson became a simple tool, a transmitter of Putin's intrusive ideas to a broad American audience. It was done in a boring manner, without uncomfortable questions, and with a very strange reasoning.

◾️ This interview is propaganda from the leader of an aggressor country and a war criminal. It can't be called anything other than propaganda.

This interview made Carlson himself an instrument of propaganda.

Tucker Carlson understands this well and realizes how much he miscalculated.

◾️ Regarding Putin, it became obvious that this person is a psychopath in the direct, clinical sense. He lives in an absolutely fictional world of intrusive ideas. Analyzing his interview is analyzing madness.
S/Lt_Phillips

Rhubarb & Custard wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:51 pm

Carlson or Putin?
Do you think Tucker has heard of the phrase "useful idiot"?
Left hand down a bit
Ymx

Rhubarb & Custard wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:51 pm

Carlson or Putin?
Putin.

But same could be said of Tucker, indeed - his fawning followers.
tabascoboy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Tucker-Putin interview is only a day in the past and devolves already in an absolute failure for Putin and his lesser minions in the West. I have already made my initial statement that the distorted history lesson of Eastern Europe was an absolute blunder. The attention span of the regular social media screamer from the right (and left) cannot exceed the length of a 3-minute tik tok video. Neither can their average meme-IQ last a text longer than 280 characters.

But it is not only that. As you can see in the reposted text, it is even in Russian social media space where people are rather dismayed about the trajectory of this interview. Some even correctly assess that Putin's obsession of history - or better his distortion of thereof - is rather contrary to the intended goals. Putin is very much trapped in in his deluded world and then makes decisions as before February 24 for a full scale invasion which even many in his circle call ludacris.

So what remains of this interview? Well, nothing good for Putin and his followers. Putin incessant behaviour in distorting history and reality devolved into an own goal. Claiming that it was Poland and not Hitler who forced WW2 to happen is even for the hardcore follower a tough pill to swallow. Everyone understands that this is only the notion of a madman, and if this kind of argument is used on nowadays Ukraine as Putin did, then anyone can do the math how "sound" Putin's arguments are when it comes to Ukraine. It is the absolute own goal.

However, Tucker and Putin achieved something. They created a new meme template which is flooding the social media channels, in other words, the exact opposite what both wanted to achieve. They and especially Tucker in hindsight will realize that his followers react to this far better. But I'm sure that they did not expect to be at the receiving end of this after the interview.
_Os_

The reaction to the interview is interesting. Many Western journs who are supposed to inform the public had never watched a full Putin interview before, you can tell because they're surprised.

There's many Putin interviews on Youtube, I've watched some over the years. Going on an hour long mad history rant is normal for him, popular themes include: Kievan Rus, Austrians inventing Ukraine, Nazis being evil but also forced into WW2 by perfidious Anglos, no mention of the Soviets siding with the Nazis, Lenin who like the Austrians invented Ukraine, Poland deserves everything it has suffered, the perfidious Anglos and Crimea, Russian Orthodoxy and Crimea, Peter the Great.

He's living in a dream world where the identities and cultures of various European peoples from the early Middle Ages are unchanging and contiguous with the current day. It would be like a UK PM declaring Ireland is really English and then going further and declaring there's no difference between them and Ireland actually doesn't exist at all, rewriting swathes of history to fit that view deleting whole wars/disasters/crimes, Saint Patrick was actually English even though England as it is now didn't exist in the 5th century, etc.

A lot of the reason for the war is the Russian nationalist fever dream of a madman, it's that simple. The rest is about fearing Ukraine becoming more democratic and aligned with the EU, which means millions of Russian speakers too. All the stuff about "stopping NATO expanding, this war is inevitable!" is Russian propaganda for foreign audiences, Russian propaganda in Russian is the opposite it demands NATO countries be attacked. All the stuff about "Russia has to invade to control this geographical area so they cannot be invaded by the West, this war is inevitable!" is nonsense Westerners (Mearsheimer and Zeihan) keep repeating because they cannot contemplate other reasons which would make them wrong, this explanation is only given by Americans trying to look clever.

Putin's ranting probably helped Ukraine, nothing new in it but people watched this time.
tabascoboy

And for a little balance towards Carlson ( only a little is deserved ) it seems that the video was cut in certain places where he made some interjections expressing doubt, as well as a couple of questions that hadn't been "pre-approved" by the Kremlin. OTOH it also supports that he was deluded to think it would be an entirely honestly conducted interview where he wasn't being used as a propaganda tool.

Despite a predictable tranche of purportedly Western originated "Hell yeah! Go Putin!" social media posts ( many of which of course will be from bots, shills or simply from unthinking morons ) this thankfully does appear to have backfired in its intentions.

TB63

Ymx

A fair comment
Hellraiser

Ceterum censeo delendam esse Muscovia
Hellraiser

Ceterum censeo delendam esse Muscovia