SupeRugby 2024...

Where goats go to escape
Guy Smiley

Seems that we could do with a thread for the new season approaching. I'm sure we've got team lists and the like to sort out and present which will come in due time, but what spurred me into starting the thread was a media release about a Law variation designed to increase running rugby over kicking duels. (note the spelling).

link
Super Rugby Pacific will look to encourage more counterattacking from kicking duals as they tweak the offside laws.

The current laws state players can be put onside from a kick if the ball is either passed or the ball carrier runs five metres.

This limits the amount of opportunities and space to attack, leading to further kicking between the teams.

Super Rugby Pacific’s Law Innovation will remove those two clauses, meaning defenders will remain offside until they have been put onside by a teammate who has come from behind the kicker, or the kicker themself.

“We want to create a game that’s exciting for our fans and enjoyable for our players," Super Rugby Pacific Chair Kevin Malloy said. "Part of that is seeing our players running the ball rather than trading multiple kicks in a battle for territory. We’re listening to our fans and with the full support of New Zealand Rugby,

"Rugby Australia, and our coaches we’ve responded with a small change we think could make a big difference.

“Fans have been vocal in recent times about teams exploiting a loophole that’s seen large number of players standing still while kicks go over their heads in what some people have called kick tennis.

"We don’t believe that’s the spectacle our fans want to see in Super Rugby Pacific.

"We want to open up the opportunity for teams to counterattack with the ball in hand and we’re confident this tweak to the law will encourage that trend and encourage exciting, attacking rugby.”

The Law Innovation has been sanctioned by World Rugby as a trial during the 2024 Super Rugby Pacific season.

“We were really happy with the spectacle last year and hence we have only made one tweak to the laws for 2024," Molloy added.

"We want to keep building an exciting, fast-moving brand of rugby that our fans want to watch.
OomStruisbaai

Fixture list?
Kiwias

Guy

Well, given that there are always two kickers involved, maybe 'dual' is the correct term here.
Guy Smiley

Kiwias wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:26 am Guy

Well, given that there are always two kickers involved, maybe 'dual' is the correct term here.
:lol:

The patented, unique and totally never used anywhere else twin pivot, double playmaker half pike with a twist Hansen's bipolar gravity inverting machine.
Guy Smiley

OomStruisbaai wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:47 am Fixture list?
This is why this thread has a No Saffas rule...
I'm sure we've got team lists and the like to sort out and present which will come in due time
so, off you vok.
Guy Smiley

OomStruisbaai

Thanks Smiley. Hope da Chiefs fuck you up in the opening game.
Guy Smiley

Gumboot

Guy Smiley wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:15 am Image
Well that's shit news for all concerned.

I really hope Cullen Grace can stay fit and make a compelling case for an ABs comeback.

Razor's a big fan of his on-field presence apparently, but his regular, untimely injuries in recent years has made that hard to judge.
Guy Smiley

Gumboot wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:24 am
I really hope Cullen Grace can stay fit and make a compelling case for an ABs comeback.

Razor's a big fan of his on-field presence apparently, but his regular, untimely injuries in recent years has made that hard to judge.
He's had a couple of outs, the first was a shoulder and then I think he re-injured that not long after coming back, It was his smarts that had everyone talking, unpicking lineouts in his first games is pretty impressive.

More of a worry for me is Blackadder... he has a lot of injuries and it's possibly down to a kamikaze, no thought for self preservation style of play. I really want to see him stitch a whole season together... and to see these two players together and dominating.
Gumboot

Guy Smiley wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:46 am
Gumboot wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:24 am

He's had a couple of outs, the first was a shoulder and then I think he re-injured that not long after coming back, It was his smarts that had everyone talking, unpicking lineouts in his first games is pretty impressive.

More of a worry for me is Blackadder... he has a lot of injuries and it's possibly down to a kamikaze, no thought for self preservation style of play. I really want to see him stitch a whole season together... and to see these two players together and dominating.
Not sure Blackadder's a serious long-term contender at test level, tbh.
Gumboot

Crusaders and All Blacks outside back Will Jordan is facing up to a long spell on the sidelines due to a shoulder injury.

An update on Jordan’s issue is due to be provided by the Crusaders this week but 1News understands the 25-year-old could require surgery which will rule him out for the season.
:sad:
Guy Smiley

geez, we can't win a trick. Neither can Jordan.
Gumboot

Guy Smiley wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:55 am geez, we can't win a trick. Neither can Jordan.
Confirmed he needs surgery and will miss the whole Supe season.
Ymx

Poor guy.

Who’s our coach now, btw??

Edit : Rob Penny
Gumboot

First time I've watched The Breakdown this year... guest starring newly minted ABs coach Razor... so much to look forward to...

But wait, 15 minutes in and it's just Goldie and JK wanking on and on about their pointless crap again. Same as fucking last year...

Meanwhile their star guest, who everyone in their tv audience wants to hear from, sits there silently, looking left and right...
Kiwias

Gumboot wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:11 am First time I've watched The Breakdown this year... guest starring newly minted ABs coach Razor... so much to look forward to...

But wait, 15 minutes in and it's just Goldie and JK wanking on and on about their pointless crap again. Same as fucking last year...

Meanwhile their star guest, who everyone in their tv audience wants to hear from, sits there silently, looking left and right...
Note to self: listen to Gumboot's comments on Breakdown and avoid wasting many minutes of my life.
Gumboot

Kiwias wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:53 am
Gumboot wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:11 am First time I've watched The Breakdown this year... guest starring newly minted ABs coach Razor... so much to look forward to...

Note to self: listen to Gumboot's comments on Breakdown and avoid wasting many minutes of my life.
:lol: Once he got a chance to speak he spoke a lot of sense.

A breath of fresh air.
Guy Smiley

I know I could get all pedantic and post links formatted correctly according to some keyboard numpties OCD derived idea of hos the world should work outside of their sweat stained plywood walls, but meh...

The Blues have confirmed Perofeta will be running things from 1st Five,

The Wellington Union are discussing shifting a game / games away from the Caketin due to costs as they are under some considerable financial stress and there have been words about attracting a private investor to the Hurricanes, whether in part or majority ownership,

and none of us have mentioned it here yet but the Rebels are broke with massive debts and I think the last thing I read on that is that RA have taken over the books.

The Crusaders have a number of players out with injury / rehab, particularly back line players. One I think we should be looking at this year as a prospect is Fergus Burke who will be unavailable for a chunk of the season.
Gumboot

Game 1 of Supe 2024 kicks off at 7pm tomorrow in Hamilton...

Chiefs:
Shaun Stevenson, Liam Coombes-Fabling, Anton Lienert-Brown, Quinn Tupaea, Etene Nanai-Seturo, Damian McKenzie, Xavier Roe, Luke Jacobson (capt), Kaylum Boshier, Samipeni Finau, Tupou Vaa’i, Naitoa Ah Kuoi, Reuben O’Neill, Bradley Slater, Aidan Ross.
Reserves: Samisoni Taukei’aho, Ollie Norris, George Dyer, Jimmy Tupou, Simon Parker, Cortez Ratima, Josh Ioane, Daniel Rona

Crusaders:
Chay Fihaki, Sevu Reece, Levi Aumua, Dallas McLeod, Macca Springer, Rivez Reihana, Mitchell Drummond, Cullen Grace, Tom Christie, Dominic Gardiner, Quinten Strange, Scott Barrett (capt), Tamaiti Williams, George Bell, George Bower.
Reserves: Quentin MacDonald, Joe Moody, Owen Franks, Jamie Hannah, Christian Lio-Willie, Noah Hotham, Taha Kemara, Ryan Crotty
Kiwias

I just found that all matches are to be broadcast live with English commentary here in Japan on WOWOW. :clap:
Dan54

Guy Smiley wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:20 pm I know I could get all pedantic and post links formatted correctly according to some keyboard numpties OCD derived idea of hos the world should work outside of their sweat stained plywood walls, but meh...

The Blues have confirmed Perofeta will be running things from 1st Five,

The Wellington Union are discussing shifting a game / games away from the Caketin due to costs as they are under some considerable financial stress and there have been words about attracting a private investor to the Hurricanes, whether in part or majority ownership,

and none of us have mentioned it here yet but the Rebels are broke with massive debts and I think the last thing I read on that is that RA have taken over the books.

The Crusaders have a number of players out with injury / rehab, particularly back line players. One I think we should be looking at this year as a prospect is Fergus Burke who will be unavailable for a chunk of the season.
Wellington actually played bugger all at Caketin this year, make sense to move them anyway where they can. Canes already have private investor/s , and WRU is talking about selling some of their shares, to up the number of them. Sensible way to go Clan have done same. Be interesting to see how Crusaders young 10s step up with Burke out, especially as Halfpenny has gone so a pretty experienced voice at 15. guess they will rely on Havili at 12 a bit?
Guy Smiley

Cheers Dan,

the issue with moving games is playing where there are broadcast standard facilities which isn't always a given. Thanks for the info around ownership... for all the hype around the SilverLake deal our Super rugby franchises are still under some pressure financially and I'm wary of that SL money going to the Super teams as it should be being spent further down the chain, at club and local union level.

Havili is also unavailable for now and might be a few weeks away. I see they've named Dallas McLeod at 12 with Levi Aumua at 13... !wow! anything could happen :lol: The Saders look to have a mix of grunt and experience up front and a sort of experimental backline.
OomStruisbaai

Can the Chiefs keep this out.
OomStruisbaai

Yes they can!

Great game of rugby.

Da Chiefs!
:spin
Kiwias

Pipped at the post but that was a surprisingly good performance from the lads, first match of the season with a new coach, after losing a bunch of the players who were at the core of the 7-peat dynasty, with a bunch of youngsters getting excellent game time.

An away bp is not a bad start to the season
Enzedder

I was very disappointed with the Chiefs last night.

Sure, some razzle dazzle tries to keep the faithful happy but the Sadists showed us how rugby should be played after that. Support and treasure possession - it ain't that hard like the actress said to the bishop. Considering the injuries in the Crusaders side, they would have to be genuine title contenders yet again.

Hopefully we can correct that and that we can find an able replacement for DMac.

https://www.waikatotimes.co.nz/sport/35 ... fic-opener
I drink and I forget things.
Ymx

I shamefully missed the game, not keeping up. Sounded like a corker with a score line like that ??
Kiwias

Ymx wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:41 pm I shamefully missed the game, not keeping up. Sounded like a corker with a score line like that ??
It was great to watch.
JM2K6

Saw a fifteen minute highlights video. Welcome back, Super Rugby.
Gumboot

Week 2 of Supe kicking off in a couple of minutes with the Highlanders vs the Blues in Melbourne...
OomStruisbaai

Great start by the Clan. But fuck where are the supporters?
Guy Smiley

Gumboot wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:57 am Week 2 of Supe kicking off in a couple of minutes with the Highlanders vs the Blues in Melbourne...
Is this the round that Melbourne gets everyone playing in town for the weekend?

Why do we prop up bad markets?
Gumboot

How lucky have we been to have Fakatava, injuries and eligibility issues and all, learning from th best ever for the past few seasons.

Brilliant young player. Just hope he can stay injury free...
Kiwias

Gumboot wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:31 am How lucky have we been to have Fakatava, injuries and eligibility issues and all, learning from th best ever for the past few seasons.

Roigard and Fakatava will look good in black this year.
Gumboot

Kiwias wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:37 am
Gumboot wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:31 am How lucky have we been to have Fakatava, injuries and eligibility issues and all, learning from th best ever for the past few seasons.

Yep, that's ideal for me, too.
Gumboot

Great finish to the first half by the Blues, sparked by Perofeta.

Blues ahead 22-15 at HT.
Kiwias

Gumboot wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:42 am
Kiwias wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:37 am

Yep, that's ideal for me, too.
Perenara is talking about his desire for a comeback but I reckon Razor is unlikely to take him
Kiwias

Gumboot wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:50 am Great finish to the first half by the Blues, sparked by Perofeta.

Blues ahead 22-15 at HT.
29 - 15 early in 2H
OomStruisbaai

Easy win for the Blues. Defense is weak in Soup.