6 Nations Round 4 - England V Ireland

Where goats go to escape
fishfoodie

England.jpg
England.jpg (192.78 KiB) Viewed 477 times

The Walrus has considered, & pronounced !
Brutality is England’s only hope against Ireland – time for the big men

England cannot hold a candle to Ireland’s free-flowing attack so have only one option: hit them and hit them hard. Manu Tuilagi, George Martin, Freddie Steward and Billy Vunipola can do just that
https://archive.is/3lyfM

I'm sure he speaks for all true English fans; England are shite, so they shouldn't try, & should just trot out the cart horses once again, & do what has failed a dozen times before, & hope for a different result. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Last edited by fishfoodie on Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Uncle fester

Billy Vunipola is still playing?
dpedin

I am sure Englands best chance is to try and make it a dull forward, set piece battle and to try and take on Irelands pack - they have a snowballs chance of trying to outsmart them in the backs! However the likes of Manu and Billy are carthorses now compared to the Irish forwards. The days of big chubby men beating less big chubby men has gone - look at the body shapes of the Irish forwards! They are big powerful guys who can also sprint, run, play at pace and go through phases. England are gradually making changes but still rely on players who are too chubby, too big, too old and too slow to keep up with the pace of the game and Ireland will just tire them out through multiple phases and then run around them.
SaintK

fishfoodie wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:16 pm The Walrus has considered, & pronounced !
Brutality is England’s only hope against Ireland – time for the big men

England cannot hold a candle to Ireland’s free-flowing attack so have only one option: hit them and hit them hard. Manu Tuilagi, George Martin, Freddie Steward and Billy Vunipola can do just that
https://archive.is/3lyfM

I'm sure he speaks for all true English fans; England are shite, so they shouldn't try, & should just trot out the cart horses once again, & do what has failed a dozen times before, & hope for a different result. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Stephen Jones talking shite shock horror. Dementia has set in!!!
Martin is the only one I'd have near the England starting 23 and he has only had 30 minutes playing time in the past couple of months

On the opposite page to that article, Stuart Barnes wastes column inches explaining why Ben Earl should start at 12 against Ireland despite never playing there before :crazy:
Hal Jordan

Sheridan and Simon Shaw out of retirement shocker!
Oxbow

Rodber/Clarke/Richards back row.
Uncle fester

Oxbow wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:15 pm Rodber/Clarke/Richards back row.
That would put the heebie jeebies up us!
PCPhil

I will start drinking.....early.
“It was a pet, not an animal. It had a name, you don't eat things with names, this is horrific!”
JM2K6

Maybe the coaches will let the players pass and run with the ball in training this week, as a treat.
Hal Jordan

JM2K6 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:30 am Maybe the coaches will let the players pass and run with the ball in training this week, as a treat.
No, keep them hungry for the ball at the weekend.
Rhubarb & Custard

This could all be made up crap in the media, or at least badly spun. But it does chime with the training move being pulled up at the World Cup for someone, Arundell perhaps, running a kick back and making a break, the coaches whistled a stop and informed the players you don't win games by making line breaks, or some such. How close we are to securing the return of John Wells might be a point of interest
petej

I would have Steward at 15 if it meant dumping daly and selecting feyi-waboso. Martin is a useful sub. Tuilagi and Vunipola can fuck off.

Did Stuart Barnes really write that Ben Earl should start at 12?
petej

Rhubarb & Custard wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:35 am This could all be made up crap in the media, or at least badly spun. But it does chime with the training move being pulled up at the World Cup for someone, Arundell perhaps, running a kick back and making a break, the coaches whistled a stop and informed the players you don't win games by making line breaks, or some such. How close we are to securing the return of John Wells might be a point of interest
At no point has the rfu actually managed to get one of the best long serving coaches in the premiership to coach England.
sockwithaticket

petej wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:58 am I would have Steward at 15 if it meant dumping daly and selecting feyi-waboso. Martin is a useful sub. Tuilagi and Vunipola can fuck off.

Did Stuart Barnes really write that Ben Earl should start at 12?
Not only did he write it, he's written a new article insisting he's right and railing against the backlash. Saw people mocking it on Reddit.
Ovals

Hal Jordan wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:31 am
JM2K6 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:30 am Maybe the coaches will let the players pass and run with the ball in training this week, as a treat.
No, keep them hungry for the ball at the weekend.
Since they never actually get the ball in the matches, perhaps the training is just designed to replicate the match situations :???:
Lobby

I see Jamie Heaslip is suggesting that Ireland can play with 13 players as England are so shit:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/68468207

I'm sure he speaks for all true Irish fans in saying so.
Slick

If we are being really harsh, this should be last chance saloon for some of the England forwards that used to be good and are now underperforming massively. I'm thinking Genge, George, Itoje, Underhill. A couple of seasons ago if they were firing and up for it England would have a decent chance, if they are the last couple of years model, forget it.

They can do it, see SA in the WC, but if they can't get up for this game it's really time for a massive clear out.
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
inactionman

Slick wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:51 am If we are being really harsh, this should be last chance saloon for some of the England forwards that used to be good and are now underperforming massively. I'm thinking Genge, George, Itoje, Underhill. A couple of seasons ago if they were firing and up for it England would have a decent chance, if they are the last couple of years model, forget it.

They can do it, see SA in the WC, but if they can't get up for this game it's really time for a massive clear out.
Oy, you leave Wonderhill alone. He's got magnificent gnome ears.

It's true that Eddie in particular seemed to keep flogging a fair few dead horses, but it's tricky to isolate any players from malaise - put a good player in a good, cohesive team and chances are they'll perform, put them in a team that's playing badly and they won't. Sadly - well, sad for us, I'm sure you're all loving it! - I think the issues are more deep-rooted than can be fixed by swapping out players.

I think Borthwick has already had a good go at a new broom (I appreciate Dan Cole is still in there but he is still doing a job), there may be a few more changes to make but I'd suggest many would rather see this change in the backs.
Raggs

Slick wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:51 am If we are being really harsh, this should be last chance saloon for some of the England forwards that used to be good and are now underperforming massively. I'm thinking Genge, George, Itoje, Underhill. A couple of seasons ago if they were firing and up for it England would have a decent chance, if they are the last couple of years model, forget it.

Rule 36, you want to drop players, you name the replacements that are better than them (and if they're the bench players, you name the ones that replace them).
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
inactionman

Raggs wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:14 am

Rule 36, you want to drop players, you name the replacements that are better than them (and if they're the bench players, you name the ones that replace them).
I'd say Willis if he hadn't gone continental.
inactionman

Lobby wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:42 am I see Jamie Heaslip is suggesting that Ireland can play with 13 players as England are so shit:

When was last time Ireland got a red card?

They're obviously due one, or maybe two.
Slick

I haven't a clue. All I know is that some players were rightly put on a pedestal a few years back but haven't been performing for some time and still getting picked. England at a minimum should have a set of hard nosed, angry, forwards like in all their best teams. This lot scare absolutely no one.
pjm1

inactionman wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:36 am
Lobby wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:42 am I see Jamie Heaslip is suggesting that Ireland can play with 13 players as England are so shit:

Valentine's Day. Had roses and shamrocks on it and everything.
inactionman

pjm1 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:41 am
inactionman wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:36 am

Valentine's Day. Had roses and shamrocks on it and everything.
We're screwed.
sockwithaticket

Hypothetical team if we aren't allowed to use any of the players often claimed as being over the hill and/or under-performing. Mainly limited to those in the senior or A squads, but I may have strayed somewhere:

1. Obano
2.Dan
3. Stuart
4. Chessum
5. Martin
6. Pearson
7. Earl
8. Cunningham-South

9. Mitchell/Spencer (depending on whether Mitchell is actually fit to play, he is back in the squad)
10. Smith/Smith (Marcus is back in the squad, but perhaps not match fit)
11. Muir
12. Lawrence
13. Freeman
14. Feyi-Waboso
15. Furbank

16. Blamire
17. Baxter
18. Heyes
19. Coles
20. Fisilau/Pollock/Barbeary
21. Spencer
22. Whichever Smith doesn't start
23. Roebuck.
sockwithaticket

Slick wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:39 am

I haven't a clue. All I know is that some players were rightly put on a pedestal a few years back but haven't been performing for some time and still getting picked. England at a minimum should have a set of hard nosed, angry forwards, like in all their best teams. This lot scare absolutely no one.
We simply don't have any forward strength in depth in the tight five anymore. Haven't for about a decade tbh. Our waning best are still the best available.
Rhubarb & Custard

Why is Chessum getting a pass? Certainly Itoje isn't ripping up trees presently, and he still carries more like Steve Borthwick than you'd like, but he looks to be doing more than Chessum.
JM2K6

Given Underhill and Itoje were two of England's best performers against Scotland there's more than a hint of shoehorning in a "England's most hyped players just aren't good enough" based on personal bias rather than anything else

It wasn't any of the players getting accused who were shitting the bed against Scotland, either
sockwithaticket

Chessum flies below the radar because no one's seen him hit and sustain a ceiling like Itoje's I guess?

That wasn't a team I'd name, it's just one absent the names I keep seeing criticised.
fishfoodie

No injuries in the Irish squad, a couple doing light training, but everyone available for selection.

Ireland by 10
JM2K6

sockwithaticket wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:23 pm Chessum flies below the radar because no one's seen him hit and sustain a ceiling like Itoje's I guess?

That wasn't a team I'd name, it's just one absent the names I keep seeing criticised.
Chessum hit the ground running for England with a bit of a recent dip, but he's 23 and has started all of 14 Tests out of 21 total plus another 41 from 53 for Tigers. Compare that to the other starting locks in that match:

Itoje (77 starts from 79 for England, 143 from 159 for Sarries, age 29)
Gilchrist (56 starts from 67 for Scotland, 140 from 150 for Edinburgh, age 33)
Cummings (22 starts from 36 for Scotland, 99 from 116 for Glasgow, age 27)

He's not going to be brilliant in every match, he's still finding his feet at this level. So far his output has outstripped his more heralded Leicester colleague, he's been more consistent than any other "new" lock added in the Eddie & Borthwick era, and he's obviously talented and one of the more obvious mainstays of the squad for the years to come.
Uncle fester

fishfoodie wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:27 pm No injuries in the Irish squad, a couple doing light training, but everyone available for selection.

Ireland by 10
I'd be surprised if Keenan really was available.
petej

It is more culture and coaching than selection at this point. The likes of arundell, Willis, marchant pissing off is a symptom of deeper issues than selection.
Paddington Bear

Let me put on the record that if we win this, I will shit myself laughing.

Anyone got any recommendations for places that will show the games in Kuala Lumpur?
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Rhubarb & Custard

JM2K6 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:31 pm
sockwithaticket wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:23 pm Chessum flies below the radar because no one's seen him hit and sustain a ceiling like Itoje's I guess?

Chessum hit the ground running for England with a bit of a recent dip, but he's 23 and has started all of 14 Tests out of 21 total plus another 41 from 53 for Tigers. Compare that to the other starting locks in that match:

Itoje (77 starts from 79 for England, 143 from 159 for Sarries, age 29)
Gilchrist (56 starts from 67 for Scotland, 140 from 150 for Edinburgh, age 33)
Cummings (22 starts from 36 for Scotland, 99 from 116 for Glasgow, age 27)

He's not going to be brilliant in every match, he's still finding his feet at this level. So far his output has outstripped his more heralded Leicester colleague, he's been more consistent than any other "new" lock added in the Eddie & Borthwick era, and he's obviously talented and one of the more obvious mainstays of the squad for the years to come.
Could be there's more to come from Chessum, he's been okay in test rugby, but only okay. Maybe he's finding his feet, maybe he needs a more abrasive lock partner, maybe never mind not having a position of mainstay he's not even the best lock in his family. Whatever okay isn't good enough.
Tichtheid

I'll be hoping England win this one, without a try bp, just to keep Scotland's chances alive if we do manage to beat Italy.

However, I'll eat my hat if Ireland don't win on Saturday.
SaintK

Tichtheid wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:48 am I'll be hoping England win this one, without a try bp, just to keep Scotland's chances alive if we do manage to beat Italy.

:lol: :lol: :lol: even England managed that!
Tichtheid

SaintK wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:52 am
Tichtheid wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:48 am I'll be hoping England win this one, without a try bp, just to keep Scotland's chances alive if we do manage to beat Italy.

:lol: :lol: :lol: even England managed that!

Yes, but as an England fan you don't have the last twenty years of experience that we Scotland fans do, and Italy target this fixture.
Slick

JM2K6 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:08 pm Given Underhill and Itoje were two of England's best performers against Scotland there's more than a hint of shoehorning in a "England's most hyped players just aren't good enough" based on personal bias rather than anything else

It wasn't any of the players getting accused who were shitting the bed against Scotland, either
That only works if you think they are anywhere near the players they were a couple of seasons ago. They are not.
JM2K6

Slick wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:36 pm
JM2K6 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:08 pm Given Underhill and Itoje were two of England's best performers against Scotland there's more than a hint of shoehorning in a "England's most hyped players just aren't good enough" based on personal bias rather than anything else

That only works if you think they are anywhere near the players they were a couple of seasons ago. They are not.
How far back are you going, exactly?

The point stands: why have a pop at two of England's best performers against Scotland if it's not just a display of strongly held priors? It says precisely nothing about England's current woes.