Women's 6 Nations (Official Thread)

Where goats go to escape
npradmin
Site Admin

I thought it would be good to have an official thread for this as i am quite a fan of the women's game.

Honestly can't see anyone beating England again but i think the other games will be a lot closer, the standards are certain rapidly improving.
Slick

Tickets booked for the France game at mini Murrayfield. Decided against taking the kids to the England game to watch a tanking.
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Raggs

Quite a few of our youth rugby club are going to see the Eng Ire game I believe. Whilst I probably won't watch all nations games, (well, maybe if it gets juicy towards the end) I will make an effort to watch the England games.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Lobby

England Team is up

15 Ellie Kildunne (Harlequins, 38 caps)
14 Abby Dow (Trailfinders Women, 40 caps)
13 Helena Rowland (Loughborough Lightning, 28 caps)
12 Emily Scarratt (Loughborough Lightning, 108 caps)
11 Jess Breach (Saracens, 33 caps)
10 Zoe Harrison (Saracens, 46 caps)
9 Lucy Packer (Harlequins, 16 caps)
1 Hannah Botterman (Bristol Bears, 42 caps)
2 Lark Atkin-Davies (Bristol Bears, 54 caps)
3 Kelsey Clifford (Saracens, 3 caps)
4 Zoe Aldcroft (Gloucester-Hartpury, 48 caps)
5 Abbie Ward (Bristol Bears, 61 caps)
6 Sadia Kabeya (Loughborough Lightning, 13 caps)
7 Marlie Packer (Captain - Saracens, 99 caps)
8 Sarah Beckett (Gloucester-Hartpury, 34 caps)

REPLACEMENTS
16 Connie Powell (Harlequins, 14 caps)
17 Mackenzie Carson (Gloucester-Hartpury, 10 caps)
18 Maud Muir (Gloucester-Hartpury, 25 caps)
19 Maddie Feaunati (Exeter Chiefs, uncapped)
20 Alex Matthews (Gloucester-Hartpury, 62 caps)
21 Natasha Hunt (Gloucester-Hartpury, 67 caps)
22 Holly Aitchison (Bristol Bears, 25 caps)
23 Megan Jones (Leicester Tigers, 16 caps)

Scarratt and Zoe Harrison straight back in after long injury lay-offs. That's a very strong team!
Ovals

It'll be interesting to see if the 'others' can make any headway against England and France. Wales (who have 12 players at the Gloucester-Hartpury club) are the most likely to close the gap a bit - but their key tussle will probably be with the Scots - 3rd place is a prize in itself, carrying automatic qualification to the WC proper - albeit they'll get a further chance via the 3 level WXV where there are 6 places up for grabs.

The games between Italy, Scotland and Wales should be competitive - Ireland have a bit of ground to make up.
laurent

France already lost their Fly half (Caroline Drouin is out)
Slick

Ovals wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:28 pm It'll be interesting to see if the 'others' can make any headway against England and France. Wales (who have 12 players at the Gloucester-Hartpury club) are the most likely to close the gap a bit - but their key tussle will probably be with the Scots - 3rd place is a prize in itself, carrying automatic qualification to the WC proper - albeit they'll get a further chance via the 3 level WXV where there are 6 places up for grabs.

The games between Italy, Scotland and Wales should be competitive - Ireland have a bit of ground to make up.
Scotland have been improving very, very quickly since the pro contacts came in. Not enough to be challenging obviously, but agree it should be a good battle for third - I have a small hope they might do the French at home.
SaintK

Lobby wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:15 pm England Team is up

15 Ellie Kildunne (Harlequins, 38 caps)
14 Abby Dow (Trailfinders Women, 40 caps)
13 Helena Rowland (Loughborough Lightning, 28 caps)
12 Emily Scarratt (Loughborough Lightning, 108 caps)
11 Jess Breach (Saracens, 33 caps)
10 Zoe Harrison (Saracens, 46 caps)
9 Lucy Packer (Harlequins, 16 caps)
1 Hannah Botterman (Bristol Bears, 42 caps)
2 Lark Atkin-Davies (Bristol Bears, 54 caps)
3 Kelsey Clifford (Saracens, 3 caps)
4 Zoe Aldcroft (Gloucester-Hartpury, 48 caps)
5 Abbie Ward (Bristol Bears, 61 caps)
6 Sadia Kabeya (Loughborough Lightning, 13 caps)
7 Marlie Packer (Captain - Saracens, 99 caps)
8 Sarah Beckett (Gloucester-Hartpury, 34 caps)

REPLACEMENTS
16 Connie Powell (Harlequins, 14 caps)
17 Mackenzie Carson (Gloucester-Hartpury, 10 caps)
18 Maud Muir (Gloucester-Hartpury, 25 caps)
19 Maddie Feaunati (Exeter Chiefs, uncapped)
20 Alex Matthews (Gloucester-Hartpury, 62 caps)
21 Natasha Hunt (Gloucester-Hartpury, 67 caps)
22 Holly Aitchison (Bristol Bears, 25 caps)
23 Megan Jones (Leicester Tigers, 16 caps)

Scarratt and Zoe Harrison straight back in after long injury lay-offs. That's a very strong team!
Just the three players from
My little club in the starting XV for this one :thumbup:
shereblue

laurent wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:30 pm France already lost their Fly half (Caroline Drouin is out)
Out for the tournament. She was the only 7s player joining the XV, so that may also be worrying news also for the 7s national team.
laurent

shereblue wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:20 pm
laurent wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:30 pm France already lost their Fly half (Caroline Drouin is out)
Out for the tournament. She was the only 7s player joining the XV, so that may also be worrying news also for the 7s national team.
On the 7's side We had Chloé Pelle Ref our U18 Girls last week :clap:

here is the team
Insane_Homer

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Tichtheid

Have any of our Edinburgh residents seen the statues of players in Castle St?

https://scottishrugby.org/fanzone/galle ... hnmicnc14k
Slick

Tichtheid wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:12 am Have any of our Edinburgh residents seen the statues of players in Castle St?

Not yet, but planning to go and have a look tomorrow
Slick

Clicked on an Instagram post this morning about the tournament and quite depressing to see all the shit and agro comments, literally every one, was from men. The reason I really like the women's game is that there isn't any of this shit.
ASMO

Slick wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:05 am Clicked on an Instagram post this morning about the tournament and quite depressing to see all the shit and agro comments, literally every one, was from men. The reason I really like the women's game is that there isn't any of this shit.
Yep a lot of that about and honestly, some of the women's games i have watched this year are every bit as skillful and competitive as the men's game...probably people who have never picked a rugby ball in their life.
laurent

ASMO wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:35 am
Slick wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:05 am Clicked on an Instagram post this morning about the tournament and quite depressing to see all the shit and agro comments, literally every one, was from men. The reason I really like the women's game is that there isn't any of this shit.
Yep a lot of that about and honestly, some of the women's games i have watched this year are every bit as skillful and competitive as the men's game...probably people who have never picked a rugby ball in their life.
agreed (our club has more girls than boys in age group level, only one senior so far).
Niegs

ASMO wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:35 am
Or uber bros who'd rather see the ladies in 'feminine' pursuits, not 'invading their space'. :problem: In my experience, though, the lads here are happy to have women players at the club. Just a few dinosaurs among the older contingent, but also some of the strongest supporters are among the Boomer gen.
laurent

Not a great showing for France winning 38 - 17

Too many handling errors. Too many silly passes (the irish second try is a direct shit pass in 22).

I doubt they can challenge England from this showing.
Slick

Slick wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:04 am
Tichtheid wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:12 am Have any of our Edinburgh residents seen the statues of players in Castle St?

Not yet, but planning to go and have a look tomorrow
They had taken them down 🙄
laurent

French TV has the Other game on streaming :)
Slick

Scotland defending well and Wales look like they could play all day and not score. Scotland mistakes stopped them scoring 2 or 3 earlier in the first half.

Ref missed a fairly obvious knock on by Wales before the final penalty

6-10 at half time
laurent

Scotland the better attacking side but wales causing them a lot of issues in the ruck.
Slick

What on earth was the Welsh 9 thinking!

Scotland win
Raggs

Scotland with the better attack, Wales with the better defence. Fun match up. Madness from the 9 at the end though, why on earth was she allowed to do that. The caterpillar forwards, the chasers etc should have all been telling at them.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
ASMO

Slick wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:32 pm Scotland defending well and Wales look like they could play all day and not score. Scotland mistakes stopped them scoring 2 or 3 earlier in the first half.

6-10 at half time
I though in general the ref had a poor game, missed a lot of obvious stuff.
Blackmac

Agree with this. Much the same with ladies international football, no cynicism, cheating and pre Madonnas, although that is slowly changing.
Blackmac

ASMO wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:17 am
Slick wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:32 pm Scotland defending well and Wales look like they could play all day and not score. Scotland mistakes stopped them scoring 2 or 3 earlier in the first half.

6-10 at half time
I though in general the ref had a poor game, missed a lot of obvious stuff.
The Welsh knock on which turned into a penalty against Scotland was the worst but watching the Welsh try scorer crawling under the breakdown like she was trying to escape from Stalag Luft X11 was also bizarre when she had been so quick to penalise double movements throughout the game.
shereblue

laurent wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:22 pm Not a great showing for France winning 38 - 17

Too many handling errors. Too many silly passes (the irish second try is a direct shit pass in 22).

I doubt they can challenge England from this showing.
As the tournament continues, I would expect that the extent of silly passes and handling errors to reduce. I thought Bourdon had a reasonable game alongside her forwards who created a platform for a better scoreline. Credit to the Irish women who were fully committed throughout, organised in defence and pragmatic in possession.

WRWC blip aside, England are the best side in the world and are improving with the momentum of their domestic setup. Wales and Scotland too, to a lesser degree and, on yesterday's evidence, so also Ireland. France have slipped back since their unlucky WRWC. I don't do predictions but my instinct is that this 6N will see Fra closer to the Celtic nations than to England.

Legends of the stature of Sansus, Tremouliere and N'Diaye are not yet sufficiently replaced. Although the likes of Escudero and now Feleu seem to be establishing themselves, many of the newer fringe players like Chambon, Bourgeois, Queyroi etc still seem to need plenty more top-level minutes under their wing.
inactionman

Did anyone see the red card for the dangerous clearout in the England Italy game? The England 8 cleared out the jackaling Italian (think she was a back?) and rolled her over sidewards but ending up folding her over her leg and being her leg the wrong way. Looked very painful indeed.

First thoughts were that it was harsh red, but it's the sort of action that can cause huge damage - women's sport has a notable incidence of ACL and knee ligament injuries so it might be they're really making a pint of protecting lower limbs.
ASMO

inactionman wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:22 am Did anyone see the red card for the dangerous clearout in the England Italy game? The England 8 cleared out the jackaling Italian (think she was a back?) and rolled her over sidewards but ending up folding her over her leg and being her leg the wrong way. Looked very painful indeed.

First thoughts were that it was harsh red, but it's the sort of action that can cause huge damage - women's sport has a notable incidence of ACL and knee ligament injuries so it might be they're really making a pint of protecting lower limbs.
I am completely fine with it being red, it may not have been intentional but it was bloody dangerous.
Slick

ASMO wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:57 am
inactionman wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:22 am Did anyone see the red card for the dangerous clearout in the England Italy game? The England 8 cleared out the jackaling Italian (think she was a back?) and rolled her over sidewards but ending up folding her over her leg and being her leg the wrong way. Looked very painful indeed.

I am completely fine with it being red, it may not have been intentional but it was bloody dangerous.
Can't find it anywhere online.
inactionman

Slick wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:09 am

It'll probably be in the short highlights on the beeb (although I'm too lazy to check!)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-union/68646307

It looked painful, her knee went at an awful angle with a lot of weight going into it. Think she managed to carry on for a bit with some heavy strapping but vaguely recall she got subbed - I'd certainly not have risked it. Her knee will no doubt look like a balloon today.
Slick

inactionman wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:18 am
Slick wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:09 am

It'll probably be in the short highlights on the beeb (although I'm too lazy to check!)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-union/68646307

It looked painful, her knee went at an awful angle with a lot of weight going into it. Think she managed to carry on for a bit with some heavy strapping but vaguely recall she got subbed - I'd certainly not have risked it. Her knee will no doubt look like a balloon today.
It was. Weirdly it wasn't earlier. Thanks.

She was probably a bit unlucky with how it played out at the tackle, but we can't have that so fair enough
laurent

Clear red for me.

It’s dangerous play to start with. The result is expected. It won't happen every time but often enough.
shaggy

But the action (croc roll) is carried out many times in each and every game and is deemed acceptable. The only difference here is outcome and a lot of bad luck.

The red card is right but there is a massive lottery here.
Raggs

shaggy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:11 pm But the action (croc roll) is carried out many times in each and every game and is deemed acceptable. The only difference here is outcome and a lot of bad luck.

It's a reckless action. Much like tackling upright will see you sent off if you're unlucky enough to end up clashing heads. If you perform a reckless action and it goes wrong, you pay the price.
inactionman

Raggs wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:04 pm
shaggy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:11 pm But the action (croc roll) is carried out many times in each and every game and is deemed acceptable. The only difference here is outcome and a lot of bad luck.

It's a reckless action. Much like tackling upright will see you sent off if you're unlucky enough to end up clashing heads. If you perform a reckless action and it goes wrong, you pay the price.
I'm in general agreement, but I can see the point that it goes unpunished a lot of the time, so we're reffing to outcome and not to the act itself.

It's either an offence or it isn't, we can't wait until someone gets injured as otherwise we're allowing a player to essentially take a risk with someone else's safety hoping they get away with it.

It's dangerous so it should really be a strict liability offence.
Niegs

I've heard it's under review for a complete ban, long overdue imo. 8/10, it's already too late as defender has hands on ball so should be a steal or pen (though I also think long reaches for jackals should be banned too as most can't actually pick up the ball).

I've seen a clip of it and it's nasty. Couldn't find but an Italy tweet says Sillari's tournament is over (and likely WXV too?)
laurent

Niegs wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:00 pm I've heard it's under review for a complete ban, long overdue imo. 8/10, it's already too late as defender has hands on ball so should be a steal or pen (though I also think long reaches for jackals should be banned too as most can't actually pick up the ball).

I've seen a clip of it and it's nasty. Couldn't find but an Italy tweet says Sillari's tournament is over (and likely WXV too?)
Likely cruciate (I am an expert ;) ) so yes season is well over.
Raggs

Broken bone I believe, at least that's what I've read.