Heart conditions that deserve a thread

Where goats go to escape
Kiwias

Uncle fester wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:22 am Driving while heart attacking?
I like it. :thumbup:
Opinion is split between my being very smart to get to the hospital more quickly and being a complete fuckwit.
Saint

Not wanting to steal anyone's thunder, but I've been silent-ish for the last year or so after being diagnosed with Heart Failure - specifically left ventricle reduced function... By the time my useless GP finally referred me to the cardio unit I was a day away from dying, so am luck to still be here, but it's been a long road to recovery and I'm only partway there
Kiwias

Saint wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:38 pm Not wanting to steal anyone's thunder, but I've been silent-ish for the last year or so after being diagnosed with Heart Failure - specifically left ventricle reduced function... By the time my useless GP finally referred me to the cardio unit I was a day away from dying, so am luck to still be here, but it's been a long road to recovery and I'm only partway there
Sounds like a bloody nightmare but I’m glad you seem to be getting there, Mine was nowhere near as dramatic as your “being one day from dying”. Well done and wishing you a strong recovery
Enzedder

Tichtheid wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:37 pm Good Luck Kiwias, speedy recovery.
What? You want him to fly himself next time?
I drink and I forget things.
Kiwias

Enzedder wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:57 pm
Tichtheid wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:37 pm Good Luck Kiwias, speedy recovery.
What? You want him to fly himself next time?
How does he know I have a helicopter parked in the back garden?
Kiwias

Did anyone else see the article in Chris Lynch’s fb feed on Christchurch news with this explanation?
A coroner's investigation has revealed the distressing ordeal a North Canterbury man endured after waiting an hour for an ambulance after his wife suffered a heart attack.
I knew I was right to drive myself to the hospital while having a heart attack.
SaintK

Saint wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:38 pm Not wanting to steal anyone's thunder, but I've been silent-ish for the last year or so after being diagnosed with Heart Failure - specifically left ventricle reduced function... By the time my useless GP finally referred me to the cardio unit I was a day away from dying, so am luck to still be here, but it's been a long road to recovery and I'm only partway there
Good man, all the best :thumbup:
Kiwias

Progress report: I will be discharged tomorrow morning and go home two weeks to the day of the attack. We still have no clear idea what caused it as none of the list of contributing factors really apply directly to me but after discussion with my older and younger brothers, we reached the conclusion that is a combination of genetics (some history of heart problems on both the maternal and paternal parents’ sides) and a delayed payment for the excesses of my 20s and 30s. As my older brother put it, through those decades, he was running marathons, my younger brother was climbing mountains, and I was drinking my way into alcoholism, not really taking good care of my body despite playing heaps of sport and getting a fair amount of exercise.

I am definitely feeling much better that two weeks ago and looking for lots more time kicking around.

Cheers all and thanks again for all your kind messages and comments.
SaintK

Kiwias wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:50 am Progress report: I will be discharged tomorrow morning and go home two weeks to the day of the attack. We still have no clear idea what caused it as none of the list of contributing factors really apply directly to me but after discussion with my older and younger brothers, we reached the conclusion that is a combination of genetics (some history of heart problems on both the maternal and paternal parents’ sides) and a delayed payment for the excesses of my 20s and 30s. As my older brother put it, through those decades, he was running marathons, my younger brother was climbing mountains, and I was drinking my way into alcoholism, not really taking good care of my body despite playing heaps of sport and getting a fair amount of exercise.

I am definitely feeling much better that two weeks ago and looking for lots more time kicking around.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Gumboot

Kiwias wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:50 am Progress report: I will be discharged tomorrow morning and go home two weeks to the day of the attack. We still have no clear idea what caused it as none of the list of contributing factors really apply directly to me but after discussion with my older and younger brothers, we reached the conclusion that is a combination of genetics (some history of heart problems on both the maternal and paternal parents’ sides) and a delayed payment for the excesses of my 20s and 30s. As my older brother put it, through those decades, he was running marathons, my younger brother was climbing mountains, and I was drinking my way into alcoholism, not really taking good care of my body despite playing heaps of sport and getting a fair amount of exercise.

Great to hear! :thumbup:
Kiwias

Damn but it is nice to be home even if I have to be a quiet boy for two weeks.

My wife, wishing to encourage me to be a good boy, reminded me of a favourite quote of hers from the movie Bitter Moon, a wife talking to her cheating husband who had an accident and was paralysed from the waist down. The day he was to be discharged, she told him, "the good news is that you can go home today. The bad news is that from now on, I'm taking care of you."
dpedin

Kiwias wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:05 am Damn but it is nice to be home even if I have to be a quiet boy for two weeks.

My wife, wishing to encourage me to be a good boy, reminded me of a favourite quote of hers from the movie Bitter Moon, a wife talking to her cheating husband who had an accident and was paralysed from the waist down. The day he was to be discharged, she told him, "the good news is that you can go home today. The bad news is that from now on, I'm taking care of you."
Great news and pleased to hear good progress. You've had a wee warning so do the rehab, focus on what is important to you and don't let fear rule your life.
Kiwias

dpedin wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:57 am
Kiwias wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:05 am Damn but it is nice to be home even if I have to be a quiet boy for two weeks.

Great news and pleased to hear good progress. You've had a wee warning so do the rehab, focus on what is important to you and don't let fear rule your life.
Thanks for the encouraging comment, mate. Especially like the last bit.
Sandstorm

Glad you’re home again, mate. :thumbup:
Kiwias

Sandstorm wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:38 am Glad you’re home again, mate. :thumbup:
:thumbup:
Kiwias

I've spent a lot of time thinking back to see if I missed anything and one thing did come to mind.

My weight had crept up from my constant range of 88~90kg to around 95kg over the last 3~4 months, despite there being no changes in diet or the amount of exercise. I asked the doctor whether this could have been a very subtle sign of problems with my heart and he gave a guarded 'yes' answer.
Kiwias

My wife bought me a present because she is so happy I survived and am back home safely. A Nebula projector and this screen.

Tichtheid

Kiwias wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:06 am My wife bought me a present because she is so happy I survived and am back home safely. A Nebula projector and this screen.

Nice, :thumbup:

Good for the recuperation.

All the best,

and to Saint too.
dpedin

A short story.

Got call from GP practice a couple of weeks ago to go to give blood as I am on blood thinners following blood clot in lungs a few years ago probably caused by covid and they need to monitor my blood. Made appointment for early morning last Thursday with phlebotomist and got follow up reminder text the day before. Saw phlebotomist who took bloods and asked some health questions, she was a bit worried about my low pulse rate and advised me to make appointment with GP. When leaving I made appointment for my GP for two weeks later to suit me. Playing golf later that day and got call on mobile from on call GP to ask a few more questions as phlebotomist had spoke to her about me. She asked me to go for walk in ECG at local hospital and left form at GP practice front desk which I picked up later that day. She also texted me with same info as a follow up. Today, Tuesday, I popped up to local hospital and within 20mins was out again having had ECG, report was sent to my GP electronically before I left. Will see GP early next week. I suspect my low pulse rate is due to the fitness kick I have been on for last 3-4 months but no harm in checking.

I am probably just lucky and have a good GP practice but the whole process was pretty slick. Whilst I know the NHS has major problems to resolve, not least waiting times at front door and for many operations, for many like me it has worked remarkably well. Given the volume of work it gets through it is often too easy to ignore the work it does really well - no-one shouts about it when it does go well. Also the staff are brilliant, the phlebotomist didn't need to speak to GP but she obviously was concerned enough about me to go out of her way and do so. She will get a nice bottle of wine next week!
Kiwias

dpedin

Good to hear a story of the health services working as they are meant to. Wishing you all the best going forward,

I am at the end of my “do sfa” rest period and am doing my morning walk every day, now to be joined with a session on the exercise bike that arrived today. BP has definitely stabilized at a good level and my pulse is also steady.

So far, so good.
dpedin

Kiwias wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 pm dpedin

Good to hear a story of the health services working as they are meant to. Wishing you all the best going forward,

I am at the end of my “do sfa” rest period and am doing my morning walk every day, now to be joined with a session on the exercise bike that arrived today. BP has definitely stabilized at a good level and my pulse is also steady.

So far, so good.
Excellent news!
Slick

dpedin wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:33 am A short story.

Got call from GP practice a couple of weeks ago to go to give blood as I am on blood thinners following blood clot in lungs a few years ago probably caused by covid and they need to monitor my blood. Made appointment for early morning last Thursday with phlebotomist and got follow up reminder text the day before. Saw phlebotomist who took bloods and asked some health questions, she was a bit worried about my low pulse rate and advised me to make appointment with GP. When leaving I made appointment for my GP for two weeks later to suit me. Playing golf later that day and got call on mobile from on call GP to ask a few more questions as phlebotomist had spoke to her about me. She asked me to go for walk in ECG at local hospital and left form at GP practice front desk which I picked up later that day. She also texted me with same info as a follow up. Today, Tuesday, I popped up to local hospital and within 20mins was out again having had ECG, report was sent to my GP electronically before I left. Will see GP early next week. I suspect my low pulse rate is due to the fitness kick I have been on for last 3-4 months but no harm in checking.

I am probably just lucky and have a good GP practice but the whole process was pretty slick. Whilst I know the NHS has major problems to resolve, not least waiting times at front door and for many operations, for many like me it has worked remarkably well. Given the volume of work it gets through it is often too easy to ignore the work it does really well - no-one shouts about it when it does go well. Also the staff are brilliant, the phlebotomist didn't need to speak to GP but she obviously was concerned enough about me to go out of her way and do so. She will get a nice bottle of wine next week!
I have to say that ever since moving back to Scotland 8 years ago the NHS has been absolutely brilliant, genuinely not one complaint.

On that, having pushed for an MOT after my fairly recent significant birthday... I had a call from the GP this morning about my blood tests. Cholesterol is a little high so they put my other details through their heart attack/stroke "algorithm". Apparently this gives a rough idea of your risk in the next ten years - anything over 10% risk and you are on statins etc. Anyway, mine came back at 10.1%!! This is both depressing and pretty good odds....

Anyway, as it's so close we are going to try some extra lifestyle changes to try and bring it down and reassess in 6 months.
All the money you made will never buy back your soul