Sydney mall stabbings

Where goats go to escape
tabascoboy

Suspect was wearing a Aussie RL shirt for whatever reason
Sydney mall stabbings: Man shot and reports of fatalities at Westfield Bondi

A man has been shot and multiple people, including a nine-month-old baby, have reportedly been stabbed in an incident that sparked panic at a Sydney mall.

Crowds could be seen fleeing Westfield shopping centre at Bondi junction where local media say four people are dead.

Police declared a critical incident following the shooting of a man just before 16:00 local time (07:00BST; 08:00GMT) after reports of stabbings.

The incident is ongoing and people are urged to avoid the area.

Video footage showed dozens of police and ambulance vehicles at the scene, and images on social media appear to show multiple casualties, as well as a man carrying a large knife.

New South Wales Ambulance told news agency AFP one man, believed to be an attacker, was shot dead by police.

One eyewitness told Reuters news agency they saw someone lying down injured and were looking to see what was going on.

"Then we saw all these people running towards us and then we heard a shot and my husband dragged us into the Adairs shop and then we got the lady there trying to lock the doors and then she couldn't lock the front door so we went in the office which was all locked and then we were in there until the police came to get us."

Another said they saw a woman lying on the floor, adding: "But it's just, it was insane it was insanity, I wasn't expecting it."
Last edited by tabascoboy on Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uncle fester

Jesus, that's awful.
tabascoboy

TB63

C69

TB63 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:03 am
Islamist? Is that confirmed?
Sinkers

Latest police statement is that this is not a terrorism incident.
tabascoboy

C69 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:13 am
Islamist? Is that confirmed?
Visegrad isn't a bad source for some news but extremely biased for news from Middle East and immigration related subjects...
Bondi stabbing was likely 'not a terrorism' attack, say police
Commissioner Webb is now going into the details that police know about the offender and say he was a 40-year-old man who was known to police.

"We know a little bit about this person but are waiting to confirm his identification," she says.

She adds that police do not have fears that he was "holding an ideation - in other words it is not a terrorism incident. He is known to law enforcement," she adds.

"Let me assure you that we are confident that there is no ongoing risk and we are dealing with one person who is now deceased," Commissioner Webb says.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-a ... a-68805458
Uncle fester

The alleged (and dead) attacker.
tabascoboy

6 confirmed dead, 5 women and one man :sad:

How many more if not for this heroism
PM praises 'hero' female officer who shot dead suspect

In his concluding remarks, Albanese has also made a point to single out the police officer who apprehended and shot dead the attacker.

"I spoke before about the bravery that has been exhibited here, the bravery of the police officer ... she entered the proceedings that were taking place, obviously very dangerous by herself," says the prime minister, acknowledging the officer who was credited with disarming the suspected attacker.

"She is certainly a hero. There is no doubt that she saved lives through her action," says Albanese.

Witnesses at the scene have been describing how the officer ran towards the man, telling him to put down his knife, before shooting him once in the chest.

The officer is reported as then attempting to administer CPR on the attacker, who later died, authorities have said.
sefton

Another pathetic male who has a problem with women probably.
Blackmac

Blimey. A mate has just sent me the press interview from the NSW Police Commissioner. She clearly skipped media training throughout her career. Never heard such rambling rubbish from any senior officer in such circumstances.
Blackmac

Sinkers wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:16 am
Latest police statement is that this is not a terrorism incident.

It's incredible how much lack of awareness some people seem to have in these circumstance. Just standing around, oblivious despite the panic surrounding them.
PCPhil

So clicking on that immediate X post shouting Islamist terrorist, I see the majority posts of people shouting for all Muslims and their families to be deported immediately.
“It was a pet, not an animal. It had a name, you don't eat things with names, this is horrific!”
Sinkers

PCPhil wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:35 pm So clicking on that immediate X post shouting Islamist terrorist, I see the majority posts of people shouting for all Muslims and their families to be deported immediately.
It’s an absolute cesspit in there.
epwc

This is what we always dread, any random nutter if they're of Muslim ancestry is a terrorist, if they're white then it's generally a mental health issue.

Great work by the cop, and the guy on the escalator. No idea if this guy was a migrant or not, but I know that a lot of the issues with Sudanese and Somalian youth in London is not "cos they're muslims", its because they (or their parents) probably have PTSD due to the brutal wars in their homelands. I'd guess that most Gazans will also by now be sufferers.

At the soup kitchen I used to volunteer at we had two ex servicemen as regulars, one a red beret, both had served in Iraq and Afghanistan no support when they left the army, both were homeless.
Uncle fester

The mother who died is a work colleague of my brother.
tabascoboy

epwc wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:37 pm This is what we always dread, any random nutter if they're of Muslim ancestry is a terrorist, if they're white then it's generally a mental health issue.

Great work by the cop, and the guy on the escalator. No idea if this guy was a migrant or not, but I know that a lot of the issues with Sudanese and Somalian youth in London is not "cos they're muslims", its because they (or their parents) probably have PTSD due to the brutal wars in their homelands. I'd guess that most Gazans will also by now be sufferers.

At the soup kitchen I used to volunteer at we had two ex servicemen as regulars, one a red beret, both had served in Iraq and Afghanistan no support when they left the army, both were homeless.
Suspect named as Joel Cauchi from Brisbane area, and no clues as to motivation yeah "mental health issues".
Queensland Police Assistant Commissioner Roger Lowe said on Sunday that Cauchi had never been arrested or charged with a criminal offence in Queensland, but was “street checked” by officers on the Gold Coast in December.

He said Cauchi had never been found in possession of knives in a manner that was unlawful.

Asked whether police had any information about Cauchi targeting women in particular, Lowe replied: “No.”

“He has been in contact with the police primarily in the last four to five years,” he said, clarifying that was from 2020 onwards.

Lowe described Cauchi as “itinerant”, moving from Kangaroo Point and Carina in Brisbane to his family’s home “in the southern police region”, and said his family was aware he was interstate but did not have regular contact.

“It is periodic contact where he may respond to a text message,” he said.

“To my knowledge he is a single man.”

Lowe said Cauchi was diagnosed with a mental illness when he was 17.

Police believe Cauchi lived with schizophrenia and used drugs including methamphetamine and psychedelics.
sockwithaticket

epwc wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:37 pm This is what we always dread, any random nutter if they're of Muslim ancestry is a terrorist, if they're white then it's generally a mental health issue.

If someone carries out an attack in the name of a religious or political ideology, that is terrorism. I will not name them because they don't deserve to be remembered as people, but no one was brushing off that piece of shit Christ Church shooter as just being mentally ill nor the man who shocked Norway more than a decade ago.

In Europe and the Antipodes at least, people are branded terrorists when appropriate. I think a lot of us are deeply concerned about the disproportionate number of Muslim terrorists.
epwc

This:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Lee_Rigby

Is still described as a terrorist incident, if you read enough of the article you can see he’s at Broadmoor and is being treated for paranoid schizophrenia.

It didn’t look like the actions of a sane person at the time, but it’’s not mental health it’s terrorism
Margin__Walker

epwc wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:49 pm This:

Is still described as a terrorist incident, if you read enough of the article you can see he’s at Broadmoor and is being treated for paranoid schizophrenia.

It didn’t look like the actions of a sane person at the time, but it’’s not mental health it’s terrorism
That was terrorism. The aims were ideological. The mental illness of the perpetrator doesn't negate that
C69

Hmm clearly terrorism
epwc

Margin__Walker wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:03 pm

That was terrorism. The aims were ideological. The mental illness of the perpetrator doesn't negate that
To me he seems like the kind of person that could have joined the Tooting Popular Front if Wolfie had got him first.
Margin__Walker

epwc wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:14 pm
Margin__Walker wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:03 pm

To me he seems like the kind of person that could have joined the Tooting Popular Front if Wolfie had got him first.
Quite possibly.

A lot of people who perpetrate these acts tend to be mentally ill or at least very easily led and indoctrinated. You have to be able to get into a different place mentally to go on a killing spree. I'd expect a decent proportion fall into this bucket, rather than being true idealogues.

Regardless though. If the reason for the violent act is ideology, it's still terrorism.
geordie_6

Sinkers wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:54 pm
PCPhil wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:35 pm So clicking on that immediate X post shouting Islamist terrorist, I see the majority posts of people shouting for all Muslims and their families to be deported immediately.
It’s an absolute cesspit in there.
And even after the facts come out, it's never going to change. The perpetrator had mental health issues and targeted women, and one of the victims was a refugee from Pakistan who was working as a security guard and was stabbed trying to stop him.
Simian

sockwithaticket wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:46 pm

If someone carries out an attack in the name of a religious or political ideology, that is terrorism. I will not name them because they don't deserve to be remembered as people, but no one was brushing off that piece of shit Christ Church shooter as just being mentally ill nor the man who shocked Norway more than a decade ago.

In Europe and the Antipodes at least, people are branded terrorists when appropriate. I think a lot of us are deeply concerned about the disproportionate number of Muslim terrorists.
I think I know what you mean, but worth bearing in mind that a huge part of Breivik’s court case centred specifically on whether or not he was a paranoid schizophrenic undergoing a psychotic episode at the time of the attacks.
Margin__Walker

Breivik’s diagnosis was surely more about sentencing and future confinement though, rather than whether or not it should be defined as terrorism. Which it clearly was.
Tilly Orifice

There's no requirement for terrorists to be sane. It's bound to be an advantage, but I guess everybody has their part to play.
I like neeps

Aussie police saying he "clearly" targeted woman so this might not be mental illness and could be more run of the mill right wing incel terrorism.
Ymx

It’s certainly more terrifying when you know they’re sane and have been indoctrinated due to their cult. Like the 7/7 attackers.
epwc

sockwithaticket wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:46 pmI think a lot of us are deeply concerned about the disproportionate number of Muslim terrorists.
I think the way the EU has classified reflects the actuality better:

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/info ... figures/#0

By their count Jihadi/Islamist attacks (including the UK to 2019) are not the highest.

Regardless, with the amount of munitions that has rained down upon the people of Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan etc it's likely that quite a few people of those origins will bear grievances against the West.
Calculon

epwc wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:31 am
sockwithaticket wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:46 pmI think a lot of us are deeply concerned about the disproportionate number of Muslim terrorists.
I think the way the EU has classified reflects the actuality better:

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/info ... figures/#0

By their count Jihadi/Islamist attacks (including the UK to 2019) are not the highest.

Regardless, with the amount of munitions that has rained down upon the people of Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan etc it's likely that quite a few people of those origins will bear grievances against the West.
They should bear grievances against themselves since they've killed far more of their own than "the West" has

If you look at a list of terrorist incidents in Great Britain since 7/7, Islamic terrorism is the most prominent
Spoiler
Show
2005, 7 July: 7/7 central London bombings conducted by four separate Islamist extremist suicide bombers, which targeted civilians using the public transport system during the morning rush hour. Three bombs were detonated on three separate trains on the London Underground and one on a double-decker bus. As well as the suicide bombers, 52 other people were killed and around 700 more were injured. It was the UK's worst terrorist incident since the 1988 Lockerbie bombing and the first Islamist suicide attack in the country.
2007, January–February: Miles Cooper letter bomb campaign. Miles Cooper said he was motivated by anti-authoritarianism and opposition to surveillance.[49]
2007, 30 June: Two Islamist terrorists drove a Jeep Cherokee loaded with propane canisters into the glass doors of the Glasgow Airport terminal, setting it ablaze. Five people were injured and the only death was of one of the perpetrators, who later died in hospital from his injuries. It was the first terrorist attack to take place in Scotland since the Lockerbie bombing in 1988.
2010s
2010, 14 May: MP Stephen Timms was stabbed during his constituency surgery by Roshonara Choudhry, a British Islamic extremist, in an attempt to kill him. She was found guilty of attempted murder and jailed for life with a minimum term of 15 years. Choudhry was the first Al-Qaeda sympathiser to attempt an assassination in Britain.
2013, 29 April to 12 July: Pavlo Lapshyn, a Ukrainian student and right-wing extremist, fatally stabbed Birmingham resident Mohammed Saleem on 29 April. Lapshyn later detonated a home-made bomb outside a mosque in Walsall on 21 June.[50] On 28 June, Lapshyn detonated a second home-made bomb near a mosque in Wolverhampton, and attacked a mosque in Tipton with an improvised explosive device containing nails on 12 July. He later admitted to police that he wished to start a "race war"[51] and was sentenced to serve at least 40 years.[52][53][54]
2013, 22 May: A British soldier, Lee Rigby, was murdered in an attack in Woolwich by Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale, two Islamist extremists armed with a handgun, knives and a cleaver. Both men were sentenced to life imprisonment, with Adebolajo given a whole life order and Adebowale ordered to serve at least 45 years.[55]
2014, 10–14 February: The New Irish Republican Army (NIRA) claims responsibility for a series of parcel bombs sent to army recruitment offices in Oxford, Brighton, Canterbury, Slough, Aldershot, Reading and Chatham.[56][57]
2016, 16 June: Murder of Jo Cox – Thomas Mair, a 52-year-old white nationalist, shot and stabbed the MP Jo Cox outside a surgery in Birstall, West Yorkshire, and severely wounded a passerby who came to her aid. The attack was treated as an act of terrorism,[58] and in sentencing Mair to life imprisonment the judge said "There is no doubt that this murder was done for the purpose of advancing a political, racial and ideological cause namely that of violent white supremacism and exclusive nationalism most associated with Nazism and its modern forms".[59]
2017, 22 March: 2017 Westminster attack – Khalid Masood, a 52-year-old Islamist, drove a car into pedestrians on Westminster Bridge, killing three and injuring almost fifty, one of whom died two weeks later. He ran into the grounds of the Palace of Westminster and fatally stabbed police officer Keith Palmer, before being shot dead by police. The attack was treated as an act of terrorism motivated by Islamic extremism.[60][61][62][63]
2017, 22 May: Manchester Arena bombing – An Islamist suicide bomber, 22-year-old Salman Abedi, blew himself up at Manchester Arena as people were leaving an Ariana Grande concert, killing 22 and injuring 139. It became the deadliest terrorist attack in Britain since the 7/7 London bombings in 2005. Many of the victims were children or teenagers, the youngest being an eight-year-old girl.[64][65]
2017, 3 June: 2017 London Bridge attack – Three Islamists drove a van into pedestrians on London bridge before stabbing people in and around pubs in nearby Borough Market. Eight people were killed and at least 48 wounded.[66][67][68] The attackers were shot dead by police eight minutes after the incident was reported. All three were wearing fake suicide bomb vests.
2017, 19 June: Finsbury Park attack – Darren Osborne, a 47 year old British man, drove a van into Muslim worshippers near Finsbury Park Mosque, London. A man who had earlier collapsed and was receiving first aid died at the scene. The incident was investigated by counter-terrorism police as a terrorist attack.[69][70][71] On 23 June, Osborne was charged with terrorism-related murder and attempted murder.[72][73] In February 2018 at Woolwich Crown Court, he was found guilty on both counts[74] and was sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 43 years.
2017, 15 September: Parsons Green bombing – The London tube train was targeted and witnesses reported a flash and bang.[75] Thirty people were injured, mostly with flash burns and crush injuries, but there were no fatalities. The threat level was raised to its highest point of critical soon after.[76] Ahmed Hassan, who committed the bombing, received a life sentence with a minimum term of 34 years.
2018, 14 August: 2018 Westminster car attack – A Ford Fiesta ran down pedestrians outside the palace of Westminster. The car then went on to crash into the security barrier, after aiming at two police officers.[77] Salih Khater, who carried out the attack received a life sentence with a minimum term of 15 years.
2018, 31 December: Mahdi Mohamud, a Dutch national from a Somali family, stabbed three in a knife attack at Manchester Victoria station. Mohamud shouted "Allahu Akbar!" and "Long live the Caliphate!" during the attack. Despite suffering from paranoid schizophrenia, Mahomud was convicted of a terror offence and attempted murder of three people due to his possession of significant amounts of extremist material and the attack's extensive planning.
2019, 16 March: Vincent Fuller, a 50-year-old British man, wrote Facebook posts saying "Kill all the non-English" and expressing agreement with the killer in the Christchurch mosque shootings. He then used a baseball bat to attack the home of a neighbor of Indian descent and several cars driven by non-white drivers, shouting "Kill Muslims" and "white supremacy" according to witnesses, before stabbing a 19-year-old Bulgarian man. A judge found the attack had a "terrorist connection." Fuller was sentenced to prison for 18 years and nine months.[78]
2019, 29 November: 2019 London Bridge stabbing – On 29 November 2019, police were called to a stabbing near London Bridge, in Central London, England, at 1:58 pm. A statement said that one man was detained, and "a number of people" were injured. Two people were killed in the attack and three were left injured. The attacker, 28 year old Usman Khan, was shot dead by police and confirmed dead on the scene.[79][80]
2020s
2020, 9 January: Two inmates at Whitemoor prison in Cambridgeshire wearing realistic fake suicide vests, and carrying improvised bladed weapons, stabbed one prison officer several times causing serious injuries and harming several others. One of the inmates, Muslim convert Ziamani, from Camberwell, southeast London, had been jailed for 22 years for hatching a plot to behead a UK soldier inspired by the murder of Fusilier Lee Rigby.[81]
2020, 2 February: 2020 Streatham stabbing – Sudesh Amman, wearing a fake suicide vest similar to the one used in the 2019 London Bridge stabbing, was shot dead by armed police after stabbing and injuring two people in Streatham, London Borough of Lambeth. One of the victims sustained life-threatening injuries.
2020, 20 June: 2020 Reading stabbings – On 20 June 2020, Khairi Saadallah, shouting "Allahu Akbar", attacked two groups of people socialising in Forbury Gardens, a public park in the centre of Reading, killing three and injuring three others. On 11 January 2021, he was sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole. The sentencing judge, Mr Justice Sweeney said that it was a terrorist attack and that the purpose was to advance an extremist Islamic cause.[82]
2021, 15 October: Murder of David Amess – Ali Harbi Ali stabbed MP Sir David Amess at his constituency surgery and was sentenced to life imprisonment with a whole life order.[83]
2021, 14 November: Liverpool Women's Hospital bombing – Emad Al-Swealmeen, carrying a homemade bomb, arrived at the Liverpool Women's Hospital by taxi. The bomb exploded, killing him and injuring the driver. The incident was quickly described as terrorist.[84]
2022, 30 October: Dover firebomb attack - Andrew Leak threw three petrol bombs attached to fireworks at the perimeter fence of the Western Jet Foil migrant processing centre in Dover, Kent before killing himself at a nearby petrol station. Two people sustained minor injuries.[85]
epwc

Calculon wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:06 am If you look at a list of terrorist incidents in Great Britain since 7/7, Islamic terrorism is the most prominent
I'd agree with that, but historically they're not the worst terrorists the UK has seen.

Pretty much all the Middle East regimes are either installed or propped up by the West (except for the ones propped up by Russia or Iran), there is no decent governance or respect for human rights in any of these places, but hey they're still our friends if they have oil and spend their petrodollars on our weapons and flash cars.

The Middle East has been a shit show since the end of the Ottoman Empire, Sykes/Picault and Oil have ensured that things will not change in the foreseeable.
Ymx

epwc wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:24 am
Calculon wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:06 am If you look at a list of terrorist incidents in Great Britain since 7/7, Islamic terrorism is the most prominent
I'd agree with that, but historically they're not the worst terrorists the UK has seen.

Pretty much all the Middle East regimes are either installed or propped up by the West (except for the ones propped up by Russia or Iran), there is no decent governance or respect for human rights in any of these places, but hey they're still our friends if they have oil and spend their petrodollars on our weapons and flash cars.

The Middle East has been a shit show since the end of the Ottoman Empire, Sykes/Picault and Oil have ensured that things will not change in the foreseeable.
And yet they are the most prominent threat now.

Now I’m just going to put this out there as my loony view …

The Old Testament was a dangerous book, and I actually think this equivalent (Quran) is the religions biggest issue right now.

It appears many are using historical phrases from the Quran and preaching hate and death to Jews and Kafirs.

It’s not just a book about sky fairies it has explicit rules to adhere to.

Plus, this prophecy can’t be doing relations with Jews any good. When they think destiny is to kill Jews with Allahs blessing.

epwc

You know that’s not from the Koran don’t you?
Kiwias

This will be good
epwc

Kiwias wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:08 pm This will be good
I truly doubt it, I haven’t seen anything from ymx so far to suggest that it will be.

Every religious text has bits where we’re asked to do stuff that is no longer acceptable, because times move on, the reality of our existence now is different to 5000, 2000 or 1500 years ago. Sadly for ymx the bit he’s quoted is not from the Koran.

The thing I always say to young people looking for guidance is to be a good human before you even think about religion. I know that’s not common to find in people of any faith but that’s the most important part for me.
Uncle fester

He's quite good at slinking away when he puts his feet in it.
Witness the tragic Paris explosion thread.
Kiwias

epwc wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:19 pm
I truly doubt it, I haven’t seen anything from ymx so far to suggest that it will be.

Every religious text has bits where we’re asked to do stuff that is no longer acceptable, because times move on, the reality of our existence now is different to 5000, 2000 or 1500 years ago. Sadly for ymx the bit he’s quoted is not from the Koran.

The thing I always say to young people looking for guidance is to be a good human before you even think about religion. I know that’s not common to find in people of any faith but that’s the most important part for me.
Honestly, I do not expect him to admit to his error. Being a good human is a basic tenet of living in any society and should not really depend on a belief in any specific religion.
Uncle fester

I expected "attacker woz mooslim" but I didn't expect "he iz a joo" (who happens to be a still alive college student).

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-68822846
MungoMan

Uncle fester wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:35 am I expected "attacker woz mooslim" but I didn't expect "he iz a joo" (who happens to be a still alive college student).

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-68822846
This is a piccie of the Ben Cohen falsely accused.

Considering a bit of resemblance to this (the actual killer)

and this

I kinda wondered whether Ch.7 and various other dickheads were jumping onto bullshit originating in a google reverse image search.