President Biden and US politics catchall

Where goats go to escape
Quade

Still think Trump is quite a good chance of winning come November.

If the covid infection numbers reach 100,000 daily as Fauci predicted today, then he is doomed.
Last edited by Quade on Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plum
Fonz

I look forward to seeing a lot of well-informed and measured opinions in this thread 👍
Quade

Fonz wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:46 am I look forward to seeing a lot of well-informed and measured opinions in this thread 👍
As do I.

Am actually quite interested to see whether Trump will start losing more right leaning types over the coming months.

Have the feeling that if a few more high profile ones split, there'll be a tsunami. There just isn't any good news on the horizon at the moment. A vaccine maybe, but that won't happen before November (if at all).
Plum
Biffer

Quade wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:39 am
Fonz wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:46 am I look forward to seeing a lot of well-informed and measured opinions in this thread 👍
As do I.

Am actually quite interested to see whether Trump will start losing more right leaning types over the coming months.

Have the feeling that if a few more high profile ones split, there'll be a tsunami. There just isn't any good news on the horizon at the moment. A vaccine maybe, but that won't happen before November (if at all).
There's some quite significant anti-Trump republican campaigning going on - The Lincoln Project is a PAC set up for that purpose and is running some pretty hard hitting ads on socials.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Quade

Biffer wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:24 am
Quade wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:39 am
As do I.

There's some quite significant anti-Trump republican campaigning going on - The Lincoln Project is a PAC set up for that purpose and is running some pretty hard hitting ads on socials.
For an outsider, the Lincoln Project stuff seems so much more effective than anything the Dems put put. Totally negative and brutal.
Plum
iarmhí

Yanks not happy about the EU travel ban

ScarfaceClaw

iarmhí wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:41 am Yanks not happy about the EU travel ban

Is that the typical level of reporting on Fox?
iarmhí

ScarfaceClaw wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:18 am

I believe so yes.
Hugo

The doctor's comments are worthy of greater analysis - the nature of Europe's relationship with the United States is pretty fascinating.

European settlement of North America is in part attributable to the desire of Europeans to flee religious persecution and to set up their own settlements where they could worship freely. So there was this antipathy toward the mother land from the beginning which of course culminated in the colonists achieving outright independence from the British crown. The winning of that war by the colonists was contingent upon French support.

The US reluctantly joined both World Wars but played a decisive role in both, then came the Marshall Plan and NATO. The US saved western Europe not once not twice but thrice, first in WW1, then from fascism then against the Soviet Union/Communism.

To this day Europeans are heavily dependent on the US in terms of NATO/national security but I don't think many Europeans consider Americans as cultural or intellectual equals, and this sentiment can be traced all the way back to the 18th century and the degeneracy thesis. Americans for their part are prone to look upon Europeans as effete, feckless and lacking in that derring do, frontier spirit that has come to define the American character. Europeans are thinkers, Americans are doers.

As the US changes demographically (whites of European descent decline as a percentage of population to be replaced by Asians and hispanics) and the Eurocentric mentality and institutions are challenged it will be interesting to see if and how European-American dynamics change.
Auckman

Val Demings is my pick for Biden's VP.

Here. First.

This will probably mean he'll go for the flawed Harris. :cry:
Hugo

I often wonder whether VP picks are critically important to the outcome of Presidential elections or if their significance is overrated. The only VP pick in my lifetime that I feel certain had a decisive impact on an election was McCain's selection of Sarah Palin.

I feel that it is better to go with a milquetoast, safe option than someone who is potentially repellent.
Fonz

Hugo wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:49 am I often wonder whether VP picks are critically important to the outcome of Presidential elections or if their significance is overrated. The only VP pick in my lifetime that I feel certain had a decisive impact on an election was McCain's selection of Sarah Palin.

I feel that it is better to go with a milquetoast, safe option than someone who is potentially repellent.
You are correct, except I would say that your analysis carries over to Palin as well. Obama was going to win that one 10/10, nothing McCain could do.

It doesn't matter. Or well, it traditionally hasn't, but we've never had someone of Biden's age and mental acuity in pole position for the Oval Office, so perhaps this will be the exception that proves the rule.

What a fucking embarrassing and shameful state of affairs. I wish China would have the decency to just nuke us into oblivion already.
Biffer

Hugo wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:22 am The doctor's comments are worthy of greater analysis - the nature of Europe's relationship with the United States is pretty fascinating.

European settlement of North America is in part attributable to the desire of Europeans to flee religious persecution and to set up their own settlements where they could worship freely. So there was this antipathy toward the mother land from the beginning which of course culminated in the colonists achieving outright independence from the British crown. The winning of that war by the colonists was contingent upon French support.

The US reluctantly joined both World Wars but played a decisive role in both, then came the Marshall Plan and NATO. The US saved western Europe not once not twice but thrice, first in WW1, then from fascism then against the Soviet Union/Communism.

To this day Europeans are heavily dependent on the US in terms of NATO/national security but I don't think many Europeans consider Americans as cultural or intellectual equals, and this sentiment can be traced all the way back to the 18th century and the degeneracy thesis. Americans for their part are prone to look upon Europeans as effete, feckless and lacking in that derring do, frontier spirit that has come to define the American character. Europeans are thinkers, Americans are doers.

As the US changes demographically (whites of European descent decline as a percentage of population to be replaced by Asians and hispanics) and the Eurocentric mentality and institutions are challenged it will be interesting to see if and how European-American dynamics change.
The main effort and sacrifice in winning WWII was made by the Soviet Union. Decades of revisionist movies have led to this idea that it was the USA wot won it. If you look at public opinion at the time, it was the USSR. That was a partial motivation of the Marshall plan - the USA had to get Western Europe firmly aligned to its camp.
Rhubarb & Custard

iarmhí wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:19 am
ScarfaceClaw wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:18 am
I believe so yes.
Tbf that's going to be one of the better pieces of Fox journalism even if in isolation it's shit.
Hugo

Biffer wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:46 am
Hugo wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:22 am The doctor's comments are worthy of greater analysis - the nature of Europe's relationship with the United States is pretty fascinating.

The main effort and sacrifice in winning WWII was made by the Soviet Union. Decades of revisionist movies have led to this idea that it was the USA wot won it. If you look at public opinion at the time, it was the USSR. That was a partial motivation of the Marshall plan - the USA had to get Western Europe firmly aligned to its camp.
True but the US were responsible for the liberation, rebuilding and defence of specifically western Europe from 1944-1989.

To your point though, yes, the Soviet contribution to the war effort is impossible to overstate. In human terms something like 20 million soldiers and civilians lost their lives.
Biffer

Hugo wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:17 am
Biffer wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:46 am

True but the US were responsible for the liberation, rebuilding and defence of specifically western Europe from 1944-1989.

To your point though, yes, the Soviet contribution to the war effort is impossible to overstate. In human terms something like 20 million soldiers and civilians lost their lives.
Was looking for a thumbs up emoji, but can’t find it :(
Chareth Cutestory

quite disappointed that no-one has been called insane yet
Bokkom

Gumboot

Kimberly Guilfoyle has tested positive for coronavirus, a person familiar with the matter and a campaign source familiar with the matter confirmed to CNN.

Guilfoyle, who is Donald Trump Jr.'s girlfriend and a top Trump campaign official, tested positive in South Dakota before she was set to attend the President's event at Mount Rushmore, the sources said.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/03/poli ... index.html
Zig

Happy 4th of July folks.
Hal Jordan

A real message of unity and healing from the President there.
Gumboot

Hal Jordan wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:45 am A real message of unity and healing from the President there.
I'm confused, is far-left fascism the political opposite of far-right communism?
Caley_Red

Fonz wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:15 am
Hugo wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:49 am I often wonder whether VP picks are critically important to the outcome of Presidential elections or if their significance is overrated. The only VP pick in my lifetime that I feel certain had a decisive impact on an election was McCain's selection of Sarah Palin.

You are correct, except I would say that your analysis carries over to Palin as well. Obama was going to win that one 10/10, nothing McCain could do.

It doesn't matter. Or well, it traditionally hasn't, but we've never had someone of Biden's age and mental acuity in pole position for the Oval Office, so perhaps this will be the exception that proves the rule.

What a fucking embarrassing and shameful state of affairs. I wish China would have the decency to just nuke us into oblivion already.
In my view, it would appear that this is the most important VP pick in recent history as they're almost certain to serve as President in the first term; I cannot see Biden's faculties holding up for even half of his first term.
All the more depressing- though not surprising- to see the democrats consumed by what combination of immutable characteristics the pick would have to have in order to serve, seems current view is female and non-white and to hell with anything else.
And on the 7th day, the Lord said "Let there be Finn Russell".
Chilli

Gumboot wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:52 am
Kimberly Guilfoyle has tested positive for coronavirus, a person familiar with the matter and a campaign source familiar with the matter confirmed to CNN.

Guilfoyle, who is Donald Trump Jr.'s girlfriend and a top Trump campaign official, tested positive in South Dakota before she was set to attend the President's event at Mount Rushmore, the sources said.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/03/poli ... index.html
The recklessness of these people is not understandable
Winnie

It will be important in this one as there is a reasonable chance Biden will kick the bucket before his presidential term is complete
Biffer

Winnie wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:27 am

It will be important in this one as there is a reasonable chance Biden will kick the bucket before his presidential term is complete
Good chance of that for Trump as well. Will be pushing 80 by the end of his term and doesn’t strike you as someone who’s lived a particularly healthy lifestyle.
Hugo

Caley_Red wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:15 am

In my view, it would appear that this is the most important VP pick in recent history as they're almost certain to serve as President in the first term; I cannot see Biden's faculties holding up for even half of his first term.
All the more depressing- though not surprising- to see the democrats consumed by what combination of immutable characteristics the pick would have to have in order to serve, seems current view is female and non-white and to hell with anything else.
I agree that it's pretty counterproductive to advertise the fact you are looking specifically for a candidate that is female and non white but I understand the rationale.
The democrats like to portray themselves as the party of overlooked and unrepresented communities and so they are forced to honour that to some degree. The last half dozen tickets have featured seven different white candidates and only one mixed race candidate.

Gore-Lieberman
Kerry-Edwards
Obama-Biden
Obama-Biden
Clinton-Kaine
Biden-?????
Gumboot

Hugo wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:20 amI agree that it's pretty counterproductive to advertise the fact you are looking specifically for a candidate that is female and non white but I understand the rationale.
I knew he'd committed to picking a female running mate, but didn't know he'd said she had to be a woman of colour. I hope Sally Yates is still under consideration. She'd tear Pence to shreds on the debate stage.
Hugo

Gumboot wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:04 am
Hugo wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:20 amI agree that it's pretty counterproductive to advertise the fact you are looking specifically for a candidate that is female and non white but I understand the rationale.
I knew he'd committed to picking a female running mate, but didn't know he'd said she had to be a woman of colour. I hope Sally Yates is still under consideration. She'd tear Pence to shreds on the debate stage.
He may not have committed to it but I thought that was what the campaign desired because they wanted to regain the Obama voters who went missing in 2016. Just for clarification I was saying that it was counterproductive to advertise it in the sense that it makes it look like the eventual pick did not get it on merit which then undermines them and weakens the ticket.
Gumboot

Hugo wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:32 am
He may not have committed to it but I thought that was what the campaign desired because they wanted to regain the Obama voters who went missing in 2016. Just for clarification I was saying that it was counterproductive to advertise it in the sense that it makes it look like the eventual pick did not get it on merit which then undermines them and weakens the ticket.
He's spoilt for choice really. I like Warren, Yates, Whitmer, Demings...Harris is probably his safest bet atm, but who knows what all the background checks are throwing up. Who would you like him to go for?
Winnie

Biffer wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:54 am
Winnie wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:27 am

Good chance of that for Trump as well. Will be pushing 80 by the end of his term and doesn’t strike you as someone who’s lived a particularly healthy lifestyle.
True
But he would still only be the age that Biden is now and we already know we will get Pence who is equally mental
Hugo

Gumboot wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:59 am

He's spoilt for choice really. I like Warren, Yates, Whitmer, Demings...Harris is probably his safest bet atm, but who knows what all the background checks are throwing up. Who would you like him to go for?
Anyone but Harris tbh. I don't find her very likable and the way she tied herself in knots with the rap and weed stuff on that radio show, for a former AG its a bad look. It was the sort of thing a goofy parent says to their kid to try and prove their cool bona fides. Demings makes tons of sense in terms of the current climate, African American with a career in law enforcement. I think that someone of her ilk will be able to encompass law and order, police reform and racial healing and have some degree of trust from each constituency. Warren is solid on the economic and middle class stuff but I think she will have trouble connecting with people. She's very sharp but not really relatable, too stern, too serious.
Gumboot

Too old.
Quade

Gumboot wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:59 am

Harris or Rice.
Plum
Akkerman

Happy 4th of July, USA !

Hope you'll get rid of that ugly orange boil later this year.
Uncle fester

:?
Enzedder

Looks like Trump the younger is a chip off the old block (link courtesy of Tinman)

Eric Trump posted a photo of Chelsea Clinton's wedding in which suspected pedophile Ghislaine Maxwell can be seen in attendance. “Birds of a feather,” he wrote. Almost immediately, people responded to the tweet with the many photos of Maxwell and Jeffrey Epstein cozying up to Donald and Melania Trump.

Soon after that, young Eric deleted the tweet without explanation.

I drink and I forget things.
fishfoodie

Never forget; this is the scrote who boasted about walking thru the dressing rooms of beauty pagents; including "Miss Teen USA", where some of the contestants were as young as 14 !!

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ke ... m-changing
Zig

Won't happen but Michelle Obama would be good VP pick. Tee her up nicely for a 2 term Presidency of her own.
Caley_Red

Hugo wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:20 am
Caley_Red wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:15 am

I agree that it's pretty counterproductive to advertise the fact you are looking specifically for a candidate that is female and non white but I understand the rationale.
The democrats like to portray themselves as the party of overlooked and unrepresented communities and so they are forced to honour that to some degree. The last half dozen tickets have featured seven different white candidates and only one mixed race candidate.

Gore-Lieberman
Kerry-Edwards
Obama-Biden
Obama-Biden
Clinton-Kaine
Biden-?????
I see your point but the most overlooked and under represented group in America is working class people and the Democrats, like their centre-left equivalents in Europe and the Anglosphere, have wholesale abandoned them. The only person in the above list who fits that description is Bill Clinton (whose autobiography is excellent, I must say) and I would wager that the proportion of Democrat reps whose parents came from the bottom third of the income distribution is far smaller than either their non-white or female contingent.
If they wanted to make a statement on 'diversity', that would be a far more radical and less bien-pensant step (though would be not be subject to the same gushing puff pieces in the media).

I should say that I am against anything of that nature and would like to see the most competent policymaker chosen as they're almost certain to serve in Biden's first term.
And on the 7th day, the Lord said "Let there be Finn Russell".