The Official English Rugby Thread

Where goats go to escape
sockwithaticket

Quins another team playing the polar opposite to last week. Just wrappd up the BP try inside 30 minutes against Bath.
Lady P

sockwithaticket wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:41 pm Quins another team playing the polar opposite to last week. Just wrappd up the BP try inside 30 minutes against Bath.
Now busy screwing it up
inactionman

What the hell have i just watched.

Bath nearly pull it back from the brink

Some very good carries by barbeary off the bench
Stranger

Quins completely switched off
Hal Jordan

Stranger wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:14 pm Quins completely switched off
Been doing that for decades, I think l they hand out tranquillisers in the changing room at half time, the number of times they've nearly or actually blown it with a shit second half performance.
sockwithaticket

Lady P wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:48 pm
sockwithaticket wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:41 pm Quins another team playing the polar opposite to last week. Just wrappd up the BP try inside 30 minutes against Bath.
Now busy screwing it up
Quite the collapse and in the context of competing for playoff spots allowing Bath to get 2 table points from a game in which they looked dead and buried is really sloppy.
JM2K6

Never in doubt.

Russell and Lawrence looked dangerous enough on their own before we decided to let them have a load of space with dumb cards and some poorly timed subs.

Barbeary was as impressive off the bench today as he was anonymous last week against Sale. When he's on he's the best tackle breaker in the business.
duke

There’s a fair amount of chat about Erne Herbst coming back on before his 10 minutes in the bin was up - I didn’t catch it entirely whilst watching the game- was there a cock up from the 4th match official?
geordie_6

duke wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:08 pm There’s a fair amount of chat about Erne Herbst coming back on before his 10 minutes in the bin was up - I didn’t catch it entirely whilst watching the game- was there a cock up from the 4th match official?
From what I've seen on social media, it looks like he may have only done around 7 of his 10 minutes.
Hal Jordan

Time off for good behaviour.
Big D

Quite the fuck up.from someone
Rhubarb & Custard

Quins do have form when it comes to illegally returning a player to the field
Bullet

During 2003 World Cup England sent on a sub for injured player who was still on the field without permission of forth official, the only similar situation I can remember.

Options were England to be deducted points or even thrown out of the tournament but somehow the end result was a fine, and a touchline ban.

Not heard any confirmation of whether officials let him return early or he was 'snuck' on?
Rhubarb & Custard

Bullet wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:55 am During 2003 World Cup England sent on a sub for injured player who was still on the field without permission of forth official, the only similar situation I can remember.

Options were England to be deducted points or even thrown out of the tournament but somehow the end result was a fine, and a touchline ban.

Not heard any confirmation of whether officials let him return early or he was 'snuck' on?
It's actually not that unusual to have a 16th (or extra) player on the pitch and there is an established sanction for such, a penalty to the non-offending side.

Points deductions and being thrown out of an event is quite some escalation above the established sanction. Or put another way would a late tackle preventing a try lead one to think the side that benefited, and who won by a narrow margin, should forfeit a match/event?

Which isn't to say they shouldn't look at what went wrong and why, and then look to plug any hole(s) in the process
JM2K6

Rhubarb & Custard wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:31 pm Quins do have form when it comes to illegally returning a player to the field
Not as much form as our propensity to go missing on the pitch, in fairness
Bullet

Rhubarb & Custard wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:53 am
Bullet wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:55 am During 2003 World Cup England sent on a sub for injured player who was still on the field without permission of forth official, the only similar situation I can remember.

It's actually not that unusual to have a 16th (or extra) player on the pitch and there is an established sanction for such, a penalty to the non-offending side.

Points deductions and being thrown out of an event is quite some escalation above the established sanction. Or put another way would a late tackle preventing a try lead one to think the side that benefited, and who won by a narrow margin, should forfeit a match/event?

Which isn't to say they shouldn't look at what went wrong and why, and then look to plug any hole(s) in the process
OK I thought it was pretty unique and the aussies tried to influence the outcome in the occasion I remembered but sanctions mention apparently were world cup rules.

There needs to be confirmation if it was coaches, officials or clock on TV that was at fault. We also need to know Austins opinion
geordie_6

Bullet wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:08 am
Rhubarb & Custard wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:53 am

OK I thought it was pretty unique and the aussies tried to influence the outcome in the occasion I remembered but sanctions mention apparently were world cup rules.

There needs to be confirmation if it was coaches, officials or clock on TV that was at fault. We also need to know Austins opinion
We'll certainly have no trouble finding out the latter...
SaintK

Big D wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:31 pm Quite the fuck up.from someone
Yep
The RFU have now reviewed the incident and issued its response. Its statement read: “The RFU professional game match officials team (PGMOT) acknowledge and apologise for an error during the Gallagher Premiership match between Harlequins vs Bath where a yellow card sanction resulted in Irne Herbst returning to the pitch approximately three minutes too soon.
“We would like to apologise to both teams for this mistake. As is the usual process, the PGMOT will review all games to ensure continued improvement and learnings. The result of the match remains final.”
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/rfu-sta ... in-bin/
Hal Jordan

Exeter looking second best all over the field.
Lady P

Shocking yellow for alleged deliberate knock on, when he was clearly trying to catch the ball. That law really needs some proper guidance as it’s basically chaos.
Hal Jordan

Lady P wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:40 pm Shocking yellow for alleged deliberate knock on, when he was clearly trying to catch the ball. That law really needs some proper guidance as it’s basically chaos.
I think we need to hear from Stephen Jones on this.
Prembore

Lady P wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:40 pm Shocking yellow for alleged deliberate knock on, when he was clearly trying to catch the ball. That law really needs some proper guidance as it’s basically chaos.
It was an abysmal initial decision. Doubling down on the replay was total incompetence. He should be nowhere near the Premiersip
Lady P

I’ve been trying to remember who this ref reminds me of and he looks just like the vet in the Specsavers advert who tries to treat a fur hat instead of a cat. Which isn’t a great sign….
SaintK

Hal Jordan wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:31 pm Exeter looking second best all over the field.
..........and throughout the match
JM2K6

Lady P wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:37 pm I’ve been trying to remember who this ref reminds me of and he looks just like the vet in the Specsavers advert who tries to treat a fur hat instead of a cat. Which isn’t a great sign….
I've seen him around. Well, around a garden centre, anyway. He's a weird little gnome.
Hal Jordan

I see The Walrus is banging his Anyone But Marcus Smith Drum by suggesting "Fin Baxter" has the control and poise required for the England fly half position after his masterful display for Northampton.
ASMO

Hal Jordan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:36 am I see The Walrus is banging his Anyone But Marcus Smith Drum by suggesting "Fin Baxter" has the control and poise required for the England fly half position after his masterful display for Northampton.
We all know the Walrus is a dumb cunt at best.

M.Smith steering Quins to a win away at Glasgow and getting the MOM award vs F.Smith leading his team to beat a mediocre Munster at home. I think the games this weekend will be interesting to compare both players though.
SaintK

ASMO wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:18 pm
Hal Jordan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:36 am I see The Walrus is banging his Anyone But Marcus Smith Drum by suggesting "Fin Baxter" has the control and poise required for the England fly half position after his masterful display for Northampton.

M.Smith steering Quins to a win away at Glasgow and getting the MOM award vs F.Smith leading his team to beat a mediocre Munster at home. I think the games this weekend will be interesting to compare both players though.
Quins were at home to Glasgow on Friday
ASMO

SaintK wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:25 pm
ASMO wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:18 pm

Quins were at home to Glasgow on Friday
My bad
Hal Jordan

Home or away, it makes no difference as to the bowel loosening insanity that is a Quins match.
Dinsdale Piranha

Hal Jordan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:04 pm Home or away, it makes no difference as to the bowel loosening insanity that is a Quins match.
Never leave before the end of a 'Quins match :lolno:

I was trying to think of the nearest to the end of a game where I actually thought Quins were going to win and was then proved wrong.

Take a bow Ben Botica.

I was also trying to remember the largest lead I've seen Quins blow. I think it was about 28 points. They nearly improved this stat vs Bath.
JM2K6

It's very strange given how both players have been performing well and both are capable of controlling games. It's not like Fin Smith is booting the leather off it - he's doing well for a side looking to attack with ball in hand, but the Walrus hates Quins so to him this is a story of Dan Carter vs Shane Geraghty...

FS wasn't amazing against Munster but his shaky moments are few and far between, and he's more likely to hand responsibility to someone else rather than chance his arm, but that is neither bad nor good. He won't win matches practically solo like Marcus can but he also won't gamble as often and the attack may well run smoother. He seems pretty ice cold and even in the Bristol game he had some nice touches.

I was all set to suggest he was the better defensive option too, but he was pretty shite in that department at the weekend so I'll hold off on that one for now.
SaintK

Strawbridge into the England coaching set up for the Summer tour.
England have bolstered their backroom staff by adding Andrew Strawbridge to their ranks as an assistant coach and coaching advisor ahead of the Red Rose’s upcoming tour to Japan and New Zealand.
Strawbridge, who was part of the All Blacks’ coaching staff last year, is no stranger to the England set-up as he spent the first four weeks of this year’s Six Nations with the team as a consultant coach.
Red Rose head coach Steve Borthwick expressed his delight that Strawbridge will be able to return to his coaching group on a full-time basis.
https://www.planetrugby.com/news/huge- ... ll-time
Lobby

SaintK wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:48 pm Strawbridge into the England coaching set up for the Summer tour.
England have bolstered their backroom staff by adding Andrew Strawbridge to their ranks as an assistant coach and coaching advisor ahead of the Red Rose’s upcoming tour to Japan and New Zealand.
Strawbridge, who was part of the All Blacks’ coaching staff last year, is no stranger to the England set-up as he spent the first four weeks of this year’s Six Nations with the team as a consultant coach.
Red Rose head coach Steve Borthwick expressed his delight that Strawbridge will be able to return to his coaching group on a full-time basis.
https://www.planetrugby.com/news/huge- ... ll-time
I know you can't expect accuracy from Planet Rugby, but 'the Red Roses' is the name for the England women's team. Strawbridge will be coaching the men's team.
Paddington Bear

In fairness I think he’s gone for Red Rose then an apostrophe. Not that it matters, the recent trend of giving England teams nicknames is pretty tedious. See also football/cricket being called ‘the three lions’
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
sockwithaticket

Leicester confirm the players leaving at the end of the season:
Phil Cokanasiga
Nic Dolly
Guy Porter
Joe Powell
Dan Richardson
Matt Scott
Jasper Wiese
Mike Williams
Ben Woollett
Francois van Wyk
Paddington Bear

Cracking atmosphere at Kingsholm
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
fishfoodie

Paddington Bear wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:04 pm Cracking atmosphere at Kingsholm
Shouldn't this post be on the Welsh Tread .... :wink:
JM2K6

sockwithaticket wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:32 pm Leicester confirm the players leaving at the end of the season:
Phil Cokanasiga
Nic Dolly
Guy Porter
Joe Powell
Dan Richardson
Matt Scott
Jasper Wiese
Mike Williams
Ben Woollett
Francois van Wyk
Surely not Guy Porter, the world class centre
JM2K6

The Smiths and Lawes on the list of nominees for Investec (ie European) Player of the Year :thumbup:

Which will go to Jamison Gibson-Park, probably