$hark$ 2023 and beyond

Where goats go to escape
assfly

_Os_ wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:33 am I am keeping a close eye on Assfly. The Sharks beat the French, vanquished them, not even close, one sided, Sharks ending the match standing victoriously over French broken bodies. But what do we get from Mnr.Assfly? The same comments as when the Sharks lose just a bit quieter.
:lol:

C'mon, Ox. I watched a lot of rugby this weekend. We are so far off the pace of other teams. We beat a terrible French side, and there's a good chance we will be beaten by the Dragons on Sunday (assuming we send our b-team).
LoveOfTheGame

_Os_ wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:33 am I am keeping a close eye on Assfly. The Sharks beat the French, vanquished them, not even close, one sided, Sharks ending the match standing victoriously over French broken bodies. But what do we get from Mnr.Assfly? The same comments as when the Sharks lose just a bit quieter.
Sometimes even when you are Wright, you are wrong ox.
assfly

:clap:
_Os_

Blake

assfly wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:10 am
Chilli2 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:38 am Then the $harks can buy a replacement for Bo$ch.
Funny how the $harks are always seen as the team buying players, when the Bulls must have spent much more than us on "acquisitions" :roll:

Anyway, Jordan Hendrikse is coming back home to Durban, which must have had an impact on Boeta's decision.
I think the diffirence in coverage is probably because the Sharks flashed their cash and bought a bunch of big name World Cup players (Bongi, Kolisi, Etzebeth), likely at massive salaries. All players in their prime.

The Bulls, on the other hand, contracted in a bunch of youngsters and brought in some journeymen (Le Roux from Japan, Carr, Goosen, Akker) and likely got them at a massive discount.

That's probably why.
OomStruisbaai

The Sharks should bring Robert du Preez back. He was excellent against the Stormers and was way above Manie. His short kick game had the Stormers defense in trouble. The Hartzenberg try was his only mistake.
assfly

Blake wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:09 pm I think the diffirence in coverage is probably because the Sharks flashed their cash and bought a bunch of big name World Cup players (Bongi, Kolisi, Etzebeth), likely at massive salaries. All players in their prime.

The Bulls, on the other hand, contracted in a bunch of youngsters and brought in some journeymen (Le Roux from Japan, Carr, Goosen, Akker) and likely got them at a massive discount.

That's probably why.
It goes beyond that. They also "bought" Duane Vermeulen, Marcel Coetzee and Sbu Nkosi who all probably commanded huge salaries. Wilco Louw must be on top dollar too. Not to mention Jannes Kirsten, Jason Jenkins, van der Walt.

Of course it's a different story when you're winning, and most of those signings work out quite well. But for some reason headlines of a "spending spree" seem to attract different reactions depending on who is doing it.
Blake

assfly wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:26 pm
Blake wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:09 pm I think the diffirence in coverage is probably because the Sharks flashed their cash and bought a bunch of big name World Cup players (Bongi, Kolisi, Etzebeth), likely at massive salaries. All players in their prime.

That's probably why.
It goes beyond that. They also "bought" Duane Vermeulen, Marcel Coetzee and Sbu Nkosi who all probably commanded huge salaries. Wilco Louw must be on top dollar too. Not to mention Jannes Kirsten, Jason Jenkins, van der Walt.

Of course it's a different story when you're winning, and most of those signings work out quite well. But for some reason headlines of a "spending spree" seem to attract different reactions depending on who is doing it.
Of all the names mentioned, only Le Roux will be in Bok contention over the next 4 years. Nkosi was damaged goods when he came to the Bulls and might give up rugby altogether given his mental health issues. That leaves Wilco Louw and Jenkins as the only names under 30, and while both are good players, neither of them is likely to get a Bok call-up anytime soon.

The Bulls are playing it smart buying up a number for players that are pretty damn good, have a lot of experience, but are unlikely to be called up by Rassie and therefore be available all year round. Way more "under the radar" than the big names that we contracted by the Sharks IMO.
assfly

Like I said, it's a matter of perspective. Winners are grinners.

Those three big signings by the $harks were made in 2021 so I'm not sure why the label of us being big-name poachers still sticks.

In hindsight, I wish we'd had Powell and Plumtree on board much, much sooner.
Blake

assfly wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:50 pm Like I said, it's a matter of perspective. Winners are grinners.

Those three big signings by the $harks were made in 2021 so I'm not sure why the label of us being big-name poachers still sticks.

In hindsight, I wish we'd had Powell and Plumtree on board much, much sooner.
They are 3 of the biggest names in Bok rugby.
Stormers had that same issue when we bought Habana and Jaque Fourie.
The perception is likely to stick for a while still; even after Kolisi left which is pretty hilarious from the outside. :lol:

I think having Powell and Plumtree earlier would have definitely helped. It's going to take a while for them to trim the squad that they've inherited. Fans are going to have to be patient.
Chilli2

assfly wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:10 am
Chilli2 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:38 am Then the $harks can buy a replacement for Bo$ch.
Funny how the $harks are always seen as the team buying players, when the Bulls must have spent much more than us on "acquisitions" :roll:

Anyway, Jordan Hendrikse is coming back home to Durban, which must have had an impact on Boeta's decision.
Well to be fair, the $harks bought most of the Freestate team most years.
Chilli2

Arno Botha will not have his contract renewed by Lyon when it ends in June.

Problem solved.
assfly

Chilli2 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:32 pm Well to be fair, the $harks bought most of the Freestate team most years.
I think that's a different issue. The Cheetahs has always been a dysfunctional union and most players with any potential look for opportunities to leave and better their career. The $harks have a good tradition with former Cheetah players, turning them into much better players with better career options.
Chilli2

assfly wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:22 am
Chilli2 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:32 pm Well to be fair, the $harks bought most of the Freestate team most years.
I think that's a different issue. The Cheetahs has always been a dysfunctional union and most players with any potential look for opportunities to leave and better their career. The $harks have a good tradition with former Cheetah players, turning them into much better players with better career options.
Dysfunctional is a little harsh.
Bloemfontein is not the most attractive place to live.

The $harks have never developed their own players as there are no proper rugby schools ( except Maritzburg College) and no University.

The Freestate has rugby schools, a good Varsity and a good Tech.

The $harks have / had money and decent opportunities.
assfly

Chilli2 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:19 am Dysfunctional is a little harsh.
The $harks have never developed their own players as there are no proper rugby schools ( except Maritzburg College) and no University.

Utter nonsense. The current squad has quite a number of homegrown players, as well as other that are with other unions.

If the Freestate has rugby schools, a good varsity and good tech (which I agree with), why don't they have a provincial team that is in the URC? Because they have a dysfunctional union who can't hold on to their talent.
OomStruisbaai

assfly wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:29 am If the Freestate has rugby schools, a good varsity and good tech (which I agree with), why don't they have a provincial team that is in the URC? Because they have a dysfunctional union who can't hold on to their talent.
You live in the past like the Kiwis. The Cheetahs have changed since Ross van Reenen took over. They also appoint Francois Steyn as director of rugby.
Chilli2

assfly wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:29 am
Chilli2 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:19 am Dysfunctional is a little harsh.

Utter nonsense. The current squad has quite a number of homegrown players, as well as other that are with other unions.

If the Freestate has rugby schools, a good varsity and good tech (which I agree with), why don't they have a provincial team that is in the URC? Because they have a dysfunctional union who can't hold on to their talent.
The $harks are currently developing more of their own players.
Historically they poached most of their players.

So because the Freestate were excluded from a competition that they were playing in, (to make way for the $harks, Lions , Bulls and Stormers ) they are dysfunctional?

Right........

Speaking of a Union with problems, how come the $harks are doing so poorly considering the millions pumped into the union and all the star studded players that they bought. ( not developed)

It must have hurt when the dysfunctional Cheetahs beat them a few weeks back.

Oh, and where is the coach of this star studded $harks team? It is interesting that he suddenly had to run back to New Zealand at such short notice.
Chilli2

OomStruisbaai wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:16 am
assfly wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:29 am If the Freestate has rugby schools, a good varsity and good tech (which I agree with), why don't they have a provincial team that is in the URC? Because they have a dysfunctional union who can't hold on to their talent.
You live in the past like the Kiwis. The Cheetahs have changed since Ross van Reenen took over. They also appoint Francois Steyn as director of rugby.
Assfly is a lot like the Kiwis.
Very quick to be critical of other teams, and then attacks anyone who dares to be critical of his team.
OomStruisbaai

Chilli2 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:36 am
Very quick to be critical of other teams, and then attacks anyone who dares to be critical of his team.
This is exactly the Crusaders Kiwis, they use the Sharks position on the URC log as example how kak SA Rugby is. Sadly.
Chilli2

OomStruisbaai wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:40 am
Chilli2 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:36 am
This is exactly the Crusaders Kiwis, they use the Sharks position on the URC log as example how kak SA Rugby is. Sadly.
Well if you look at how many Springboks and particularly how many RWC winning Springboks there are in the Sharks squad, it isn't a good example.

The $harks have the coach that they always wanted, a load of Springboks, bought in talent and then all their self developed players. They should be performing better.
LoveOfTheGame

Hak Hak Vrystaaaaaat is ..kak.
Chilli2

LoveOfTheGame wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:12 am Hak Hak Vrystaaaaaat is ..kak.
Party keer is hulle, ja.

En toe wen hulle teen die Sharks, weer'n keer.

This fred is about the Sharks, we should be celebrating them and not going on about the Freestate.
OomStruisbaai

Chilli2 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:14 am
Party keer is hulle, ja.

This fred is about the Sharks, we should be celebrating them and not going on about the Freestate.
Ons het Riaan Yster se multi gevind. :think:
Chilli2

OomStruisbaai wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:31 am
Party keer is hulle, ja.

Ja....
LoveOfTheGame

Chilli2 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:42 am
OomStruisbaai wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:31 am
Party keer is hulle, ja.

Ja....
Ja.
Chilli2

Speaking of the Sharks developing all their players.
Let's have a look at the starting 15 that beat the high flying Oonayx team.

Hollywoodbets Sharks

• Ox Nche Freestate

• Fez Mbatha Sharks

• Hanro Jacobs Stormers

• Corne’ Rahl Boland Landbou

• Gerbrandt Grobler Stormers

• Tino Mavesere UCT / Zimbabwe

• Jeandre “Lappies” Labuschagne Sharks

• Phepsi Buthelezi Sharks

• Grant Williams Stormers

• Curwin Bosch Grey PE/ Sharks

• Makazole Mapimpi Kings

• Francois Venter Freestate

• Lukhanyo Am (C) Kings

• Werner Kok Stormers

• Aphelele Fassi Sharks

There are lank many Natal boys in this team.
assfly

I see Chilli has been triggered :lol:

Talk to me when your dysfunctional union is back in a regular competition.

I'd rather be last in URC that not in it at all.
Chilli2

assfly wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:16 am I see Chilli has been triggered :lol:

Talk to me when your dysfunctional union is back in a regular competition.

I'd rather be last in URC that not in it at all.
Never make me go full Chilli ! 🌶

It's good to see you have high hopes for the Sharks.
Blake

assfly wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:22 am
I know you are trolling a bit, but I always have a soft spot for the Cheetahs (and Lions) because they got properly fucked over by SARU over the last 25 years.

First the whole "Cats" fiasco...I mean really. Merging 2 of the big 5 unions and having them split training and matches and gate takings when they are 400km apart was stupid to begin with. If NZ was allowed to have 5 teams when we went from Super 10 to Super 12, we should have had 5 teams as well.

Then the Cats were disbanded and the Cheetahs were left in the cold for close to a decade. Then they get brought into Super 14, and are expected to just perform at that level again, only to be kicked out a couple of seasons later for the Jaguares, and dropped into the Pro12 as their lifeline. And then that gets taken away leaving them out in the cold again.

It's a bloody miracle that they are still a going concern and own their stadium. Kudos to them.
Last edited by Blake on Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
OomStruisbaai

Chilli you are a born and bred Sharks boy. Why do you support the Cheetahs and not the Sharks?
assfly

Chilli2 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:45 am Speaking of the Sharks developing all their players.
Let's have a look at the starting 15 that beat the high flying Oonayx team.....
Hanro Jacobs, and Grant Williams never played for the Stormers.
Corne Rahl never played for Boland.
Francois Venter came from Worcester. Is it a "poach" if his club is liquidated?
And three of our bench players are all born and schooled in KZN.

Let's have a look at your team, which I'm sure must be 100% pure Bloem beef!

Schalk Ferreira - born in Pretoria, schooled at Paul Roos, youth career with WP
Louis van der Westhuizen - Namibian
Aranos Coetzee - Namibian
Rynier Bernardo - born in Pretoria, youth career with EP
Victor Sekekete - born in Joburg, youth career with Lions
Gideon van der Merwe - born in Potchefstroom, played for Leopard and Griquas
Friedle Olivier - born in Pretoria, youth career with Falcons
Jeandre Rudolph - born in Joburg, moved from Pumas
Ruan Pienaar - 100% Bloem beef!
George Lourens - from Paarl, went to Stellenbosch
Cohen Jasper - born in Swellendam, schooled in Worcester
Reinhardt Fortuin - born in Pretoria, youth rugby at Boland
Evardi Boshoff - born in Upington, moved from Leopards
Munier Hartzenberg - born in Manenberg, moved from Griquas
Tapiwa Mafura - Zimbabwean

So from that starting XV, you only have one player from Bloem. What were you saying about player development?
Chilli2

OomStruisbaai wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:00 am Chilli you are a born and bred Sharks boy. Why do you support the Cheetahs and not the Sharks?
assfly

Blake wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:58 am I know you are trolling a bit, but I always have a soft spot for the Cheetahs (and Lions) because they got properly fucked over by SARU over the last 25 years.
I agree 100%. But don't tell that poes Chilli :shh:
Chilli2

assfly wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:09 am
Chilli2 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:45 am Speaking of the Sharks developing all their players.
Let's have a look at the starting 15 that beat the high flying Oonayx team.....
Hanro Jacobs, and Grant Williams never played for the Stormers.
Corne Rahl never played for Boland.
Francois Venter came from Worcester. Is it a "poach" if his club is liquidated?
And three of our bench players are all born and schooled in KZN.

Let's have a look at your team, which I'm sure must be 100% pure Bloem beef!

Schalk Ferreira - born in Pretoria, schooled at Paul Roos, youth career with WP
Louis van der Westhuizen - Namibian
Aranos Coetzee - Namibian
Rynier Bernardo - born in Pretoria, youth career with EP
Victor Sekekete - born in Joburg, youth career with Lions
Gideon van der Merwe - born in Potchefstroom, played for Leopard and Griquas
Friedle Olivier - born in Pretoria, youth career with Falcons
Jeandre Rudolph - born in Joburg, moved from Pumas
Ruan Pienaar - 100% Bloem beef!
George Lourens - from Paarl, went to Stellenbosch
Cohen Jasper - born in Swellendam, schooled in Worcester
Reinhardt Fortuin - born in Pretoria, youth rugby at Boland
Evardi Boshoff - born in Upington, moved from Leopards
Munier Hartzenberg - born in Manenberg, moved from Griquas
Tapiwa Mafura - Zimbabwean

So from that starting XV, you only have one player from Bloem. What were you saying about player development?
I'm not the poes claiming that my team hardly buys players. 😉
assfly

I actually enjoyed doing that more than I should have.

Here's the makeup of the Lions team from their last game:

Morgan Naude - from Nelspruit, moved from Pumas to the Lions
Jaco Visagie (c) - born in Cape Town, youth career with Boland, moved from Bulls
Conrad van Vuuren - born in Magaliesburg, schooled in Nelspruit, youth career with Lions
Etienne Oosthuizen - born in Rustenburg, youth career with Pumas, moved from Lyon
Darrien Landsberg - Zimbabwean, schooled at Northcliff, moved from Pumas
JC Pretorius - born in Secunda, youth career with Pumas, moved from Blitzboks
Izan Esterhuizen - can't find bithplace, but went to Monument and has only played for Lions
Hanru Sirgel - born in East London, moved from Griquas
Nico Steyn - schooled at Glenwood, only played for Lions
Jordan Hendrikse - born in King Williams Town, schooled at Glenwood, only played for Lions
Boldwin Hansen - from Hermanus
Rynhardt Jonker - born in Richard's Bay, went to Glenwood, moved from Sharks/Griquas
Erich Cronje - went to EG Jansen in Boksburg, youth rugby for Bulls
Stean Pienaar - schooled at Hoërskool Menlopark in Pretoria
Andries Coetzee - born in Mpumalanga, schooled in Middelburg

So the Lions are basically made up of players from Pumas, Bulls and Griquas.

I wonder where all the talent from Jeppe, KES, Parktown, etc?
assfly

The Bulls team from the Bristol game;

Gerhard Steenekamp - born and raised in Potchefstroom, only played for Bulls
Jan-Hendrik Wessels - born in Bloem, schooled at Grey, only played for Bulls
Wilco Louw - born in Ceres, schooled in Worcester, youth rugby for Boland
Ruan Vermaak - born in Joburg, schooled at Monument, moved from Lions
Reinhardt Ludwig - born in Pretoria, schooled at Affies, only played for Bulls
Marcell Coetzee - born in Potchefstroom, schooled at Port Natal, moved from Sharks/Ulster
Elrigh Louw - born in Pretoria, schooled at Vanderbijlpark, youth career with Falcons, moved from Kings
Mpilo Gumede - schooled at DHS, moved from Sharks
Embrose Papier - born in Clanwilliam, schooled at Garsfontein, youth career with Boland
Johan Goosen - born in Burgersdorp, schooled at Grey, moved from Montpellier
Sergeal Petersen - born in Humansdorp, schooled at Grey PE, moved from Stormers
Harold Vorster - born in Phalaborwa, youth career Limpopo, moved from Lions/Panasonic
David Kriel - born in Potchefstroom, schooled at Grey, always played for Bulls
Sebastian de Klerk - born in Cape Town, schooled at Hoër Landbouskool Boland, moved from Pumas
Devon Williams - born in Stellenbosch, schooled at Paarl, youth career at WP, moved from Pumas
OomStruisbaai

assfly wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:28 am I actually enjoyed doing that more than I should have.
:thumbup: Thanks for this.

Players go the long or short cycle.

Short: School-Franchise-International player.
Long: School-Varsity Cup-CC-Franchise-International player.

If you look at the SA Schools Rankings, you can see why the Winelands produce so many provincial players , add the Varsity Cup teams and it tell you the story.

assfly

Recent years have really shown the strength of the schools in the Western Cape. You can't blame players for looking for opportunities beyond the Cape, the competition to get into WP must be insane.

Nice to see some KZN schools in the top 20, but there have been slim picking for the $harks in recent years.
Sandstorm

OomStruisbaai wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:12 pm
assfly wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:28 am I actually enjoyed doing that more than I should have.
:thumbup: Thanks for this.

Players go the long or short cycle.

Short: School-Franchise-International player.
Long: School-Varsity Cup-CC-Franchise-International player.

If you look at the SA Schools Rankings, you can see why the Winelands produce so many provincial players , add the Varsity Cup teams and it tell you the story.

10th place baby :spin
_Os_

Attachments
Sharks not the dog's bums.jpg
Sharks not the dog's bums.jpg (59.16 KiB) Viewed 1079 times