$hark$ 2023 and beyond

Where goats go to escape
assfly

FalseBayFC wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:25 am Absolutely. Mapimpi due back as well. Werner Kok will probably hang around until Sevens begins.
Tambwe will definitely benefit from consistent game time. He's only 23 and the thing I like about him is the support lines he runs. Not afraid to come off his wing and use his pace as a finisher.
Good news about Mapimpi. We'll need him to bolster the squad.

Kok is a weird one. Incredibly talented and skillful, and a helluva workrate, but I'm still not sold on him as a 15s player. Maybe wing wasn't for him and we should have tried him in the centre or even at flank.
Sards

handyman wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:11 am
assfly wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:04 am I see Tambwe has left for the Bulls. A shame as I liked him, but was always going to struggle for gametime with Nkosi and Penxe there.
A very good player, but yeah, saarks are spoiled at wing.
I see a lot of WP supporters are following Kolisi to the Sharks.....

Who else is doing the same...

I know ouboet will follow Willemse to the Bulls
handyman

Sards wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:54 am
assfly wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:04 am I see Tambwe has left for the Bulls. A shame as I liked him, but was always going to struggle for gametime with Nkosi and Penxe there.

My allegiance to Western Province and the Stormers are based on where I lived growing up. Even if I move to Antarctica now, they will always be my team. It's something I feel quite strongly about. I have more respect for a born and bred blue bulls fan (spit), than these flip floppers that do not stick with their team through thick and thin.

This is one of the things that make sport great, just look at the joy of Everton fans with the win over Liverpool after 21 years of trying.
Springboks, Stormers and WP supporter.
Chilli

FalseBayFC wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:25 am
Absolutely. Mapimpi due back as well. Werner Kok will probably hang around until Sevens begins.
Tambwe will definitely benefit from consistent game time. He's only 23 and the thing I like about him is the support lines he runs. Not afraid to come off his wing and use his pace as a finisher.
Has Werner Kok been a success for the $hark$? He has been very hit and miss to me.
Chilli

handyman wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:26 am

My allegiance to Western Province and the Stormers are based on where I lived growing up. Even if I move to Antarctica now, they will always be my team. It's something I feel quite strongly about. I have more respect for a born and bred blue bulls fan (spit), than these flip floppers that do not stick with their team through thick and thin.

This is one of the things that make sport great, just look at the joy of Everton fans with the win over Liverpool after 21 years of trying.
Which is why I support the VRYSTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

What is an Everton?
handyman

Chilli wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:26 am

Which is why I support the VRYSTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

What is an Everton?
Good man. It's the hand we've been dealt, it's not a choice.
Springboks, Stormers and WP supporter.
Chilli

MON 22 FEB 2021 | 04:07
KOLISI: THE VALUE I WILL ADD TO THE SHARKS
Kolisi: The value I will add to the Sharks
Jan de KoningJAN DE KONINGR365 EDITOR CONTACT JAN
SPOTLIGHT: Don’t expect to see Springbok captain Siyamthanda Kolisi in action in South Africa’s Preparation Series – which gets underway this week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Kolisi, who was unveiled – with much fanfare – as a new Sharks signing last week, will be “eased” into the Durban-based franchise’s fold.

The World Cup-winning Bok skipper revealed that he will be allowed to “build a proper base” from which he can launch the next episode of his career.

Since he hoisted the Webb Ellis Cup in Yokohama in November 2019, things have not gone according to plan for Kolisi.

A combination of injuries and COVID-enforced shutdowns have limited his game time and saw his on-field form plummeting.

Many so-called pundits believed it was his sedulous off-field lifestyle that caused his slump in form.

However, Kolisi believes it was because he had no real ‘pre-season base’ that influenced his game.

ADVERTISEMENT

That is why the Sharks will give him a proper ‘pre-season’ and allow him to regain his strength and fitness.

“I am the type of player that needs to play five games in a row, especially at the beginning of the season,” Kolisi told the media.

“I didn’t get that [in 2020].

“After the World Cup, I didn’t really do a pre-season and was injured in the first [Super Rugby] game. I had no base [to start with].

ADVERTISEMENT

“I injured my hamstring in the first week of training, then my knee went in the first match [against the Hurricanes in February 2020]. Then the season was stopped [in March]. When we came back [from the COVID-enforced lockdown], I hurt my hamstring against the Pumas and then COVID hit my family.

(Continue below the video …)
Video Spacer
“There was never consistency. That played a huge role.

“A lot of people say they think I do a lot of stuff off the field. That stuff I do off the field encourages me to work even harder, because rugby opens all those doors for me. I am not the person that is just going to play.

“There are so many people that look up to me, my family and my community as well.

“It wasn’t just that [off the field stuff]. It was everything – playing and conditioning – I wasn’t up to standard.””

He revealed a sit-down with Sharks coach Sean Everitt will afford him to finally rebuild the base from which he can launch an effective on-field career in Durban.

“That is why I was so grateful when I spoke to coach Sean [Everitt].

“He said: ‘I am not going to push you, or force you to play. We are going to work you as hard as we can, to ensure you as fit as you can be and deliver on the field’,” Kolisi added.

The Sharks started their ‘preparation series’ against Griquas in Durban on Sunday, February 28 and the play their last match of this competition against the Bulls in Durban on Friday, March 26 – meaning the six-week ‘base-building’ period will take him well beyond the end of the domestic venture.

It will certainly leave him in a much better position to challenge for a spot in a Sharks team that is well-stocked with loose forwards.

Video Spacer
Apart from two utility forwards – Dylan Richardson (a hooker who often features at openside flank) and Juan Johan van der Mescht (a lock that also featured at blindside flank) – the Sharks can call on Henco Venter, Kolisi’s former Stormers teammate Sikumbuzo Notshe, Thembelani Bholi, Evan Roos, James Venter, Mpilo Gumede and Phepsi Buthelezi.

Kolisi spoke about how “change” could be refreshing and the importance of the timing of the move from Cape Town to Durban.

“It is going to be a fight for all of us,” he said of the truckload of quality loose forwards at the Sharks.

“There are some amazing loose forwards here,” adding that what he achieved in the past doesn’t really matter.

“I believe this is the perfect time for the move [to the Sharks]. I am excited to be playing alongside guys like [Sikumbuzo] Notshe and fighting for a place.”

He also said he loves the Sharks’ style of play.

“They move the ball around and have strong carriers.”

Kolisi sees himself as an ‘openside’ flank, but not a ‘fetcher’.

“The [Sharks] team has a lot of fetchers. I do work on my fetching ability, but I believe in my ability with ball in hand and hopefully that is where I can add value.

“I am not scared to do the hard work. I don’t mind not being seen in the game, if it means I have to clean rucks, working back and forth, whatever I am need to do.

“I believe strongly [in my ability] with the ball in hand.”

@king365ed
@rugby365com

Many so-called pundits believed it was his sedulous off-field lifestyle that caused his slump in form

I have it on pretty good authority that he is a lazy fukker and needs someone to chase him all day.
OomStruisbaai

Sards is a flip flopper. I understand loyalty.
sorCrer

Looks like he has been bulking up a bit to fit in with the rest of the gym (read roid) bunnies at Sharks academy?
FalseBayFC

Man's gonna need to be swole and ripped if he wants to hit the Umhlanga and Ballito beaches.
average joe

Like how the Sharks made sure that his first training kit makes him feel at home
Chilli

average joe wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:14 am Like how the Sharks made sure that his first training kit makes him feel at home
Maybe there is something to this. The $hark$ can take their money, buy the WP and use them as their new feeder team?
assfly

I don't want to jump the gun here, but he already looks like a much superior player.
Sards

Sards wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:38 pm https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/pictures-k ... g-session/

Milking it
Love the fifth pic..Am is giving him a skeef look
Chilli

MON 22 MAR 2021 | 12:15
'THE MOST UP-AND-COMING PLAYER IN SA RUGBY'
'The most up-and-coming player in SA rugby'
Warren FortuneWARREN FORTUNE
REACTION: Sharks head coach Sean Everitt could not resist talking about some of his youngsters after their match against the Lions, especially the explosive Ntuthuko Mchunu.

ADVERTISEMENT

Everitt’s team lost the match 40-43 in Johannesburg, but there were a lot of positives for the Sharks coach as he looks to build a strong squad to take to Europe for the upcoming Rainbow Cup.

Mchunu, 21, caught the eye in the Sharks’ previous two preparation series fixtures against Griquas and the Cheetahs and his stock rose significantly after his latest performance off the bench at Ellis Park.

The prop scored two tries with his second being a sensational solo effort. He was also a strong presence in the scrums for the Sharks.

The story continues below…

“I’m pleased with how we have grown depth in our squad over the last three games,” said Everitt. “We had a guy like Rynhardt Jonker making their debut for the Sharks and there was Boeta Chamberlain, who has not played decent rugby since the end of 2019. Then you take youngster like Emile van Heerden coming onto the field for the last 20 and putting in some massive contributions.

“There were some incredible performances by certain individuals. Ntuthuko Mchunu must be a standout and the most up-and-coming player in South African rugby at the moment.

ADVERTISEMENT

“He does seem to get better and better every week and he showed us what pace he has and that comes from being a loose forward [in the past].

“There is a lot of positives from individuals that we have seen and we’ve certainly gained the benefit of growing our squad over the last three weeks and we will continue to do so over the next week as well.”

Praise from a legend
Even Springbok legend Tendai ‘Beast’ Mtawarira had something to say after Mchunu’s stunning try.

“Wow, this guy is the real deal. Absolutely love it,” Mtawarira tweeted.

The Sharks’ final game in the preparation series is against the Bulls in Durban on Friday.
This might be a little premature.
YES! He had a great run to score a GREAT try. Let's first wait to see him in a year or 2. There are quite a few youngster who are looking as good so far.
The last thing that we need is for him to be another Willemse.
OomStruisbaai

He is beating Willemse now with media attention.
assfly

The kid scored an amazing try, let him have his moment.

He still has to worry about fighting for a starting position in the $harks.
Chilli

OomStruisbaai wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:53 am He is beating Willemse now with media attention.
He has had 3 days of media attention. Willemse has had 3 years of media attention.
assfly

Looks like Bongi is heading to the Sharks.

Weird signing, given his age. But none of our young hookers are standing out at the moment so perhaps he's been brought in to provide some balance and mentorship.
OomStruisbaai

Wish he can make up his mind. He and Scarra has been spoiled with the best fatties and locks in SA. But they still screwed it up with their lineout throwing. Time to get Marx on board.
Chilli

OomStruisbaai wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:20 am Wish he can make up his mind. He and Scarra has been spoiled with the best fatties and locks in SA. But they still screwed it up with their lineout throwing. Time to get Marx on board.
Marx is not the best come the line out Oom.
assfly

The big signings just keep on coming

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/pro14 ... 4624500c5b

Starting to feel like the Barcelona of rugby with all these stars and all this ca$h
OomStruisbaai

No one wants Herbst?
FalseBayFC

assfly wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:14 am The big signings just keep on coming

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/pro14 ... 4624500c5b

Starting to feel like the Barcelona of rugby with all these stars and all this ca$h
Anything better than John Hubert "the Human Concertina" Meyer. But we're starting to see a steady stream of has been journeymen trickle back from overseas. Jacques Potgieter, Gio Aplin ens. Marcel Coetzee a star coming back but he's busted and will never play more than half a season. Carrying too much muscle for his frame. If a team needs an injection of experience then employ these guys as coaching assistants or consultants rather than shifting up the teams with average old players
assfly

It's a tricky one, returning players.

The ones from Europe come back battle-hardened but broken.
The ones from Japan come back fit and fresh but lacking physical rugby.

Let's hope with all this cash we're able to hold on to players better. But pity we couldn't have held on to some of the guys who have left in the last couple of years.
assfly

So Sharks have resigned Lionel Cronje, Cameron Wright and Lourens Adrianse.

Not particularly excited by any of them, but some much needed experience for a team that's going to lose 9 players to the Boks.

They've also signed Zimbo Tinotenda Mavesere from UWC, who appears to be an exciting prospect based on his recent form. Will join after Zim are done with their current internationals.
Sards

assfly wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:10 am So Sharks have resigned Lionel Cronje, Cameron Wright and Lourens Adrianse.

Not particularly excited by any of them, but some much needed experience for a team that's going to lose 9 players to the Boks.

They've also signed Zimbo Tinotenda Mavesere from UWC, who appears to be an exciting prospect based on his recent form. Will join after Zim are done with their current internationals.
I think its a given Bosch is going.....cannot see any other reason for Lionel.
We have insane depth
OomStruisbaai

Have to sign Olg Age Homers, no club structure supporting?

That's the value of Varsity Cup.
boere wors

Is Bosch going to WP/Stormers?
OomStruisbaai

boere wors wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:11 pm Is Bosch going to WP/Stormers?
Nee, only a Keo rumor. Sards will be devastated.
Chilli

assfly wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:10 am So Sharks have resigned Lionel Cronje, Cameron Wright and Lourens Adrianse.

A bit of panic poaching?
Chilli

We hope so.
Blake

Chilli wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:56 am
handyman wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:46 am
Chilli wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:44 am
Am is not world class?
To me, he is the best in South Africa by a long way, but is he as good as Jaque Fourie? Not by a long shot.
JF is possibly the GOAT of 13's.
Am is a world class 13.
Agreed on Jacque Fourie. Probably the best Bok 13 since Danie Gerber, and after him there haven’t really been any other real standout players…none that delivered with the same consistency.

You can trace a direct line to poor Bok backline performances from the moment JF left the squad. The amount of center combinations that Peter de Villiers, Heyneke Mayer and Alistair Coetzee had to (unsuccessfully) try on order to replace the Jean de Villiers-Jaque Fourie partnership is staggering.

We have some promising candidates in Am and Kriel, but neither are quite there het, and not even close to Jacque Fourie.
assfly

Chilli wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:57 am A bit of panic poaching?
When you lose 9 players to the Boks, we need to replenish the stocks. They're all excellent acquisitions for Currie Cup 5.0
Chilli

assfly wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:28 am
Chilli wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:57 am A bit of panic poaching?
When you lose 9 players to the Boks, we need to replenish the stocks. They're all excellent acquisitions for Currie Cup 5.0
Indeed
Sards

Chilli wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:58 am
We hope so.
I just want to laugh and laugh and laugh if it happens.

I can't wait for the announcement
boere wors

Blake wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:59 am
Chilli wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:56 am
handyman wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:46 am

To me, he is the best in South Africa by a long way, but is he as good as Jaque Fourie? Not by a long shot.
JF is possibly the GOAT of 13's.
Am is a world class 13.
Agreed on Jacque Fourie. Probably the best Bok 13 since Danie Gerber, and after him there haven’t really been any other real standout players…none that delivered with the same consistency.

You can trace a direct line to poor Bok backline performances from the moment JF left the squad. The amount of center combinations that Peter de Villiers, Heyneke Mayer and Alistair Coetzee had to (unsuccessfully) try on order to replace the Jean de Villiers-Jaque Fourie partnership is staggering.

We have some promising candidates in Am and Kriel, but neither are quite there het, and not even close to Jacque Fourie.
Agree on all of that. Jaque was absolute world class, GOAT of 13's!!! He was a stand out performer and captain in an abysmal Lions side for years until he made the switch to WP. Anyway, we have now found quite a fine center partnership in deallende and Am, although I would say only since after the successful RWC we have found our love for them. I still think our best 13 would be Jan serfontein. He is playing excellent rugby but somehow got a bit forgotten there in southern France. Actually I dont know or cant remember why he has fallen out of favor.
assfly

boere wors wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:28 am Anyway, we have now found quite a fine center partnership in deallende and Am, although I would say only since after the successful RWC we have found our love for them.
De Allende is on fire at the moment.
Blake

boere wors wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:28 am Anyway, we have now found quite a fine center partnership in deallende and Am, although I would say only since after the successful RWC we have found our love for them. I still think our best 13 would be Jan serfontein. He is playing excellent rugby but somehow got a bit forgotten there in southern France. Actually I dont know or cant remember why he has fallen out of favor.
I'm still not quite sold on the De Allende / Am / Kriel center combos, however you slice and dice the combinations on the day. They're fine, I guess. Definitely the best we have to offer at the moment, and better than anything we've had since when we had Jean de Villiers / Jaque Fourie / Frans Steyn for the 2009-2010 seasons. I'll take the continuity their continual selection provides and give them the opportunity to grow and develop the partnerships, than go back to what we had.

A decade of midfield turmoil with names like Olivier, Taute, Engelbecht, De Jongh, Serfontein, Murray, Mapoe, Francois Venter even JP Pietersen rotating in and out of the 12 or 13 jerseys. It's been a massive problem and made our backline impotent.