The Official Scottish Rugby Thread

Where goats go to escape
Blackmac

Edinburgh butchering chances in SA, aided by Sharks being allowed to infringe at will. Finally a yellow.
charltom

Where are you seeing it? I just had a look on TNT Sports 3 and it was Clermont vs Ulster
Blackmac

charltom wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:13 pm Where are you seeing it? I just had a look on TNT Sports 3 and it was Clermont vs Ulster
It was TNT 5
charltom

Blackmac wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:28 pm
charltom wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:13 pm Where are you seeing it? I just had a look on TNT Sports 3 and it was Clermont vs Ulster
It was TNT 5
Bummer, as OTOM's preview had said TNT3. How do you get to TNT5? I can only see 4 TNTs on my telly!
Tichtheid

charltom wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:57 pm
It was TNT 5
Bummer, as OTOM's preview had said TNT3. How do you get to TNT5? I can only see 4 TNTs on my telly!

On Virgin you get it via the red button
topofthemoon

It was TNT 5
Aye, apologies for that - in my defence that's where it was listed earlier in the week! I put something up on Twitter ahead of kickoff about red button access to TNT Sports 5 but should've thought to put it here too.
charltom

topofthemoon wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:31 pm

It was TNT 5
Aye, apologies for that - in my defence that's where it was listed earlier in the week! I put something up on Twitter ahead of kickoff about red button access to TNT Sports 5 but should've thought to put it here too.
Cheers. I'm still puzzled though. I pay for TNT Sport, having paid for BT Sport, but they still have channels I can't see?

Nope, I've just looked again, and after much scrolling it is 30-odd channels further down, beyond all the Sky Sports channels I don't subscribe to!
Biffer

23 points for Kinghorn against Exeter this afternoon
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
robmatic

Biffer wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:28 pm 23 points for Kinghorn against Exeter this afternoon
Starting for Toulouse in a Heineken QF and doing that is quite respectable.

I've seen comments from Scottish rugby fans online even this season saying that he's not international class etc. Baffling.
Blackmac

Biffer wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:28 pm 23 points for Kinghorn against Exeter this afternoon
He looked to fit in perfectly. Had a superb game and really solid under the high ball.
Tichtheid

Blackmac wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:07 pm
He looked to fit in perfectly. Had a superb game and really solid under the high ball.

I’ve made a point of watching all his games for Toulouse bar maybe one that wasn’t shown here. Toulouse are better than Edinburgh in every department, miles better.

Most of the backline fling wild passes but there is almost always someone on the end of it, their free flowing style is a perfect fit for BK.
I had the feeling that Toulouse didn’t really know what they had signed in BK so they didn’t bring him on to the ball as much, but now they are getting to know him they use him well. Last week Kinghorn opened up the opposition with a long flat pass across three defenders off his left hand which allowed Toulouse to stroll in.

Something I’ve noticed in his games in France is that he is using his size properly and protecting the ball at the breakdown when it's appropriate. I said elsewhere that my favourite part about his game yesterday was when he bashed the Exeter 7 back and out of a ruck with a clear out, we all know he can do the flash stuff and we know about his pace, but for a confidence player, he is absolutely in the right environment and it can only help Scotland.
Slick

robmatic wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:57 pm
Starting for Toulouse in a Heineken QF and doing that is quite respectable.

I've seen comments from Scottish rugby fans online even this season saying that he's not international class etc. Baffling.
His defence and decision making isn’t international class at the moment
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
I like neeps

Tichtheid wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:31 am
Blackmac wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:07 pm

I’ve made a point of watching all his games for Toulouse bar maybe one that wasn’t shown here. Toulouse are better than Edinburgh in every department, miles better.

Most of the backline fling wild passes but there is almost always someone on the end of it, their free flowing style is a perfect fit for BK.
I had the feeling that Toulouse didn’t really know what they had signed in BK so they didn’t bring him on to the ball as much, but now they are getting to know him they use him well. Last week Kinghorn opened up the opposition with a long flat pass across three defenders off his left hand which allowed Toulouse to stroll in.

Something I’ve noticed in his games in France is that he is using his size properly and protecting the ball at the breakdown when it's appropriate. I said elsewhere that my favourite part about his game yesterday was when he bashed the Exeter 7 back and out of a ruck with a clear out, we all know he can do the flash stuff and we know about his pace, but for a confidence player, he is absolutely in the right environment and it can only help Scotland.
Good detail TH. In attack he's the perfect player for Toulouse... But his attack isn't in doubt.

How's his defence and work under the high ball?
Tichtheid

I like neeps wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:45 am

He's never going to be jPR Williams and enjoy smashing people in the tackle, that's just not who he is.

Yesterday was a good example of how he has been playing in the aspects you mention, he knocked-on a high ball when he and the Toulouse winger both went for it, then later he made an absolute stoater of a take in heavy traffic, got back to his feet and drove on through a couple of defenders.

He made a good scramble tackle which probably prevented a try and he got his body in the way of an Exeter forward, there was a game a few weeks ago where he was lucky to not be carded for a no-arms tackle, though now that I think of it, that was against Ireland.

I'm not going to lie, I still get my heart in my throat when he is defending, but so far he's been good, certainly good enough for the coaches to start him ahead of Ramos and then hook him when the game was done, just before Dupont came off.
Biffer

One of the problems with the way people talk about rugby players is they don’t allow for change. There are some people that will always consider Kinghorn dodgy under the high ball and poor defensively, no matter how much he improves.
Slick

Biffer wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:14 am One of the problems with the way people talk about rugby players is they don’t allow for change. There are some people that will always consider Kinghorn dodgy under the high ball and poor defensively, no matter how much he improves.
Do you think he has?

I’m pretty relaxed about his high ball ability, I think it’s fine. It’s an incredibly difficult skill and there are really only a couple of international players that are outstanding at it - Freddie Steward being one.

But I just haven’t seen his defence get any better, either actual tackling or positioning and that should be a huge worry.
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
I like neeps

Tichtheid wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:00 am
I like neeps wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:45 am

He's never going to be jPR Williams and enjoy smashing people in the tackle, that's just not who he is.

Yesterday was a good example of how he has been playing in the aspects you mention, he knocked-on a high ball when he and the Toulouse winger both went for it, then later he made an absolute stoater of a take in heavy traffic, got back to his feet and drove on through a couple of defenders.

He made a good scramble tackle which probably prevented a try and he got his body in the way of an Exeter forward, there was a game a few weeks ago where he was lucky to not be carded for a no-arms tackle, though now that I think of it, that was against Ireland.

I'm not going to lie, I still get my heart in my throat when he is defending, but so far he's been good, certainly good enough for the coaches to start him ahead of Ramos and then hook him when the game was done, just before Dupont came off.
Well that's good. I think you're right he'll never be say Liam Williams. Wonder if when he's confident in a dominant team he's better.

Luan de Bruin off the Newcastle. Great signing, a NSQ pudding who managed to clog up the TH position from development. Oh well, onto the next one.
Tichtheid

I like neeps wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:29 am

Luan de Bruin off the Newcastle. Great signing, a NSQ pudding who managed to clog up the TH position from development. Oh well, onto the next one.

Yeah, he was never a tighthead, he actually played okay on the loosehead side, but with Schoey, Venter, Bomber and Mikey Jones, we have decent depth there. I get the impression that Jones is rated. Venter will get capped when his time comes, I think.

I'd love it if we went all in in developing the Blyth-Lafferty brothers as well as Paddy Harrison, as was mentioned on the Gunners forum, McBurney is another who seems surplus to requirements at the moment.
Biffer

Slick wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:25 am
Biffer wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:14 am One of the problems with the way people talk about rugby players is they don’t allow for change. There are some people that will always consider Kinghorn dodgy under the high ball and poor defensively, no matter how much he improves.
Do you think he has?

I’m pretty relaxed about his high ball ability, I think it’s fine. It’s an incredibly difficult skill and there are really only a couple of international players that are outstanding at it - Freddie Steward being one.

But I just haven’t seen his defence get any better, either actual tackling or positioning and that should be a huge worry.
I agree about his high ball, I've never seen it as a problem. I think his positioning and reading of the game is better. Some of his tackles leave a lot to be desired.

But my point was that even if he has two complete seasons when he never misses a tackle or a high ball, there will still be people who won't let go of that opinion.
vball

Biffer wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:51 pm But my point was that even if he has two complete seasons when he never misses a tackle or a high ball, there will still be people who won't let go of that opinion.
Same went for Chris Patterson - one missed tackle. Was a pretty good defender in general, as well as superb elsewhere.
Romans said ....Illegitimi non carborundum --- Today we say .. WTF
Yr Alban

vball wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:11 pm
Biffer wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:51 pm But my point was that even if he has two complete seasons when he never misses a tackle or a high ball, there will still be people who won't let go of that opinion.
Same went for Chris Patterson - one missed tackle. Was a pretty good defender in general, as well as superb elsewhere.
This still annoys me now. That one missed tackle spawned a whole myth that he was a bad defender, and probably cost him a Lions tour in 2005 (when the old PR site voted for him as starting 15)
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
Tichtheid

Bath: Finn Russell and Cameron Redpath suffer 'significant' injuries

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/68828120
KingBlairhorn

George Turner off to Japan apparently. Still a front line national team player so a big loss to the squad. Only 31 so a little gas left in the tank you would think.
Tichtheid

Walkerburn Rugby Club should have been celebrating their 140th anniversary next year, instead they are to close down due to lack of numbers. I played against them a few times way back when. This is sad.

“It is with a heavy heart that we announce the closure of the Walkerburn Rugby Club. After much consideration and reflection, the committee has made the difficult decision to cease operations. We believe it is our duty to provide clarity regarding the reasons behind this pivotal moment in our club’s history.

“Over the years, we have witnessed a gradual decline in player participation. Despite our best efforts, assembling a team for matches has become increasingly challenging. The lack of sufficient player numbers has impacted our ability to compete effectively.

“Our dedicated committee members have tirelessly worked to keep the club afloat. However, the burden of managing critical tasks has fallen upon a small group [and] the workload has become overwhelming. They have valiantly attempted to perform the duties of a full team, but it is no longer sustainable.

“The cancellation of our 100th sevens tournament and our absence from the 24-25 season, which would have been our 140th season, weighs heavily on our hearts. These milestones were meant to celebrate our rich history and the passion we share for rugby.

“We extend our heartfelt gratitude to everyone who has supported us throughout the years. From the SRU to fellow clubs such as Gala YM and Lismore. Additionally, we appreciate the individuals who volunteered their time, ensuring that Walkerburn Rugby Club remained a vibrant part of our community.

“While the chapter may be closing, the memories forged on the pitch, the friendships kindled, and the spirit of rugby will forever resonate within us. We bid farewell with gratitude and a sense of pride for the legacy we leave behind.

“Sincerely, The Walkerburn Rugby Club Committee.”
Big D

KingBlairhorn wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:24 pm George Turner off to Japan apparently. Still a front line national team player so a big loss to the squad. Only 31 so a little gas left in the tank you would think.
I don't see why that would preclude his national team involvement for the 6N? It is a pain but unless he retires then Scotland can call him up.

Would be a shame as he is a potential Lion.
Biffer

Big D wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:45 pm
KingBlairhorn wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:24 pm George Turner off to Japan apparently. Still a front line national team player so a big loss to the squad. Only 31 so a little gas left in the tank you would think.
I don't see why that would preclude his national team involvement for the 6N? It is a pain but unless he retires then Scotland can call him up.

Would be a shame as he is a potential Lion.
Shame, but he's probably seeing the writing on the wall with Ashman coming through, and a few young lads with potential behind him (Harrison, Blyth-Lafferty, Morris, Hiddleston). He'd struggle to be in the squad for the next RWC.

And come on, he's nowhere near a Lions shirt.
Biffer

As an addendum, the chat is there are actually some very talented front Rowers coming through the academy atm. It's absolutely imperative that we get these lads game time.
Biffer

... and another thing seeing as I'm sitting in the pub with a pint.

Should Townsend be chasing Fergus Burke to come on the summer tour and commit to Scotland? Already Scottish qualified and Saracens have kindly brought him to the UK and are paying him. 24 year old kiwi born and raised, through the Crusaders who were apparently a bit pissed off to lose him. Get him and Healy fighting it out on the summer tour? Pretty sure Russell wouldn't have been going anyway given the RWC etc - senior players bound to be rested for the summer.
westport

charltom wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:00 pm
topofthemoon wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:31 pm

Cheers. I'm still puzzled though. I pay for TNT Sport, having paid for BT Sport, but they still have channels I can't see?

Nope, I've just looked again, and after much scrolling it is 30-odd channels further down, beyond all the Sky Sports channels I don't subscribe to!
On TNT you have to go channel 450 as they use that sometimes
Tichtheid

Asking for a friend, does Rugby Pass still do a subscription that can be used with a vpn and allows you to watch all the rugby channels?
Big D

Biffer wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:15 pm And come on, he's nowhere near a Lions shirt.
There is a lack of quality hookers about in GB&I. He could have been in the discussion, especially given it would be a surprise if there aren't injuries leading into the tour. I didn't say was a Lion but could potentially be one. Anyone a within the top 5 or 6 in their position have a chance. Sheehan and Kelleher are good, George is older than Turner and on the wain, Dan unproven and the Welsh hookers worst of the bunch IMO.

Turner gets a lot of deserved stick for his discipline but he does a lot of good things that will be missed. He is one of the hardest hitting defenders in a team that lacks hard hitting defenders and he is still a better hooker than Ashman and the others even if he is well into the back 9 of his career.

Absolutely need to find ways to get youngsters game time, but if Turner effectively retires the national squad has lost 150 caps (would be many more but for injury) with McInally, Brown and then Turner finishing up. It needs Ashman, who has his own battles, to step up as the senior hooker.
Big D

Biffer wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:43 pm ... and another thing seeing as I'm sitting in the pub with a pint.

Should Townsend be chasing Fergus Burke to come on the summer tour and commit to Scotland? Already Scottish qualified and Saracens have kindly brought him to the UK and are paying him. 24 year old kiwi born and raised, through the Crusaders who were apparently a bit pissed off to lose him. Get him and Healy fighting it out on the summer tour? Pretty sure Russell wouldn't have been going anyway given the RWC etc - senior players bound to be rested for the summer.
The SRU tried to get him for Glasgow apparently so I would assume so. He is EQ though and his contract may reflect that.
KingBlairhorn

Big D wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:46 am
Biffer wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:15 pm And come on, he's nowhere near a Lions shirt.
There is a lack of quality hookers about in GB&I. He could have been in the discussion, especially given it would be a surprise if there aren't injuries leading into the tour. I didn't say was a Lion but could potentially be one. Anyone a within the top 5 or 6 in their position have a chance. Sheehan and Kelleher are good, George is older than Turner and on the wain, Dan unproven and the Welsh hookers worst of the bunch IMO.

Turner gets a lot of deserved stick for his discipline but he does a lot of good things that will be missed. He is one of the hardest hitting defenders in a team that lacks hard hitting defenders and he is still a better hooker than Ashman and the others even if he is well into the back 9 of his career.

Absolutely need to find ways to get youngsters game time, but if Turner effectively retires the national squad has lost 150 caps (would be many more but for injury) with McInally, Brown and then Turner finishing up. It needs Ashman, who has his own battles, to step up as the senior hooker.
I suppose you are right he's in the conversation but only for the 3rd spot. Kelleher and Sheehan are 1 and 2 by a distance at this point IMO, and we know where there is a marginal selection it is likely the probable underperformance of the Scotland team as a whole will count against Turner. Whichever of Wales or England finishes above us will get the spot, either George (although at 34 he would be old)/Dan/Cowan-Dickie or Elias/Elliot Dee. We all know Scotland has a soft underbelly so where there is a marginal call it's hard to be critical (nevertheless I will be strongly so) of a selector picking a player perceived to be mentally stronger.
KingBlairhorn

Biffer wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:21 pm As an addendum, the chat is there are actually some very talented front Rowers coming through the academy atm. It's absolutely imperative that we get these lads game time.
I've heard the same. Perhaps Turner hasn't been renewed - he'll be pricy enough and is second choice to Matthews at Glasgow.
dpedin

KingBlairhorn wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:57 am
Biffer wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:21 pm As an addendum, the chat is there are actually some very talented front Rowers coming through the academy atm. It's absolutely imperative that we get these lads game time.
I've heard the same. Perhaps Turner hasn't been renewed - he'll be pricy enough and is second choice to Matthews at Glasgow.
Turner has had his fair share of concussion related injuries, no great surprise given his playing style and 100% commitment, and it may well be that the SRU are unwilling to invest in a contract given the risks involved? I like Turner, if he goes then he has been a great servant to both Embra and Glasgow and deserves a big pay packet in Japan. My, albeit vague, memory will be watching him play on the wing for Embra as a sub.
Dogbert

Glasgow Team for Sharks up

As strong as we can put out - Darge / Mckay on the Injury list, which is a shame - Rowe at Fullback is a fine option though

RT10 preferred over Meatball on the bench.

Sharks Team quite bit different from the Team that beat Edinburgh ( but that was really only to be expected with Sharks concentrating on the Euro cup competition )

A five pointer here would really cement Glasgow's position in second place, especially if Munster pull out a results at the Bulls game

15 Kyle Rowe

14 Kyle Steyn (Captain)
13 Stafford McDowall
12 Sione Tuipulotu
11 Facundo Cordero

10 Tom Jordan
9 George Horne

1 Nathan McBeth
2 Johnny Matthews
3 Zander Fagerson
4 Max Williamson
5 Scott Cummings
6 Matt Fagerson
7 Henco Venter
8 Jack Dempsey

Substitutes

16 Gregor Hiddleston
17 Oli Kebble
18 Lucio Sordoni
19 Sintu Manjezi
20 Ally Miller
21 Tom Gordon
22 Jamie Dobie
23 Ross Thompson

Unavailable for selection: Jamie Bhatti (foot), Fraser Brown (knee), Sebastian Cancelliere (knee), Rory Darge (ankle), Richie Gray (bicep), Huw Jones (hand), Josh McKay (illness), JP du Preez (knee), Ollie Smith (knee), George Turner (foot), Sione Vailanu (knee).
Lager & Lime - we don't do cocktails
I like neeps

This Edinburgh A team is a total joke. Luan de Bruin playing loosehead with Mikey Jones on the bench?! D'Arcy Rae?! In a development game.

Genuinely quite angry (yes I'm a saddo).. The Edinburgh coaches won't even play development props in a development league.
Tichtheid

Ali Price is staying on for another year with Edinburgh
Tichtheid

I like neeps wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:02 pm

This Edinburgh A team is a total joke. Luan de Bruin playing loosehead with Mikey Jones on the bench?! D'Arcy Rae?! In a development game.

Genuinely quite angry (yes I'm a saddo).. The Edinburgh coaches won't even play development props in a development league.

On the other hand, Paddy Harrison is 21, Euan McVie is 19, Rob Carmichael is 21, Tom Currie is 19, Cammy Scott is 22, Finn Douglas is only just 20, Jack Hocking was 19 in January, Sam Lewini was in the U18s last season, as was Nairn Moncrieff, Jack Brown is 18.

Jerry B-L is just 20, Mikey Jones is 21, Mark Fyffe was in Edinburgh's U18s two years ago, Freddy Douglas is 18, Hector Patterson is 19, Isaac Coates is 19, I can't find an age for Daniel Odejinmi but he was at school until 2022 and he's plays for Edinburgh Uni.
I like neeps

Tichtheid wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:09 pm
I like neeps wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:02 pm

On the other hand, Paddy Harrison is 21, Euan McVie is 19, Rob Carmichael is 21, Tom Currie is 19, Cammy Scott is 22, Finn Douglas is only just 20, Jack Hocking was 19 in January, Sam Lewini was in the U18s last season, as was Nairn Moncrieff, Jack Brown is 18.

Jerry B-L is just 20, Mikey Jones is 21, Mark Fyffe was in Edinburgh's U18s two years ago, Freddy Douglas is 18, Hector Patterson is 19, Isaac Coates is 19, I can't find an age for Daniel Odejinmi but he was at school until 2022 and he's plays for Edinburgh Uni.
Exactly, the entire team is for development apart from the props! And Muncaster and Dodd, Muncaster needs game time .. wouldn't have picked Dodd.

Why on earth do we have Luan playing games? And a Scotland international playing S6 FFS.