The Official Scottish Rugby Thread

Where goats go to escape
Blackmac

Tichtheid wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:33 pm Walkerburn Rugby Club should have been celebrating their 140th anniversary next year, instead they are to close down due to lack of numbers. I played against them a few times way back when. This is sad.

“It is with a heavy heart that we announce the closure of the Walkerburn Rugby Club. After much consideration and reflection, the committee has made the difficult decision to cease operations. We believe it is our duty to provide clarity regarding the reasons behind this pivotal moment in our club’s history.

“Over the years, we have witnessed a gradual decline in player participation. Despite our best efforts, assembling a team for matches has become increasingly challenging. The lack of sufficient player numbers has impacted our ability to compete effectively.

“Our dedicated committee members have tirelessly worked to keep the club afloat. However, the burden of managing critical tasks has fallen upon a small group [and] the workload has become overwhelming. They have valiantly attempted to perform the duties of a full team, but it is no longer sustainable.

“The cancellation of our 100th sevens tournament and our absence from the 24-25 season, which would have been our 140th season, weighs heavily on our hearts. These milestones were meant to celebrate our rich history and the passion we share for rugby.

“We extend our heartfelt gratitude to everyone who has supported us throughout the years. From the SRU to fellow clubs such as Gala YM and Lismore. Additionally, we appreciate the individuals who volunteered their time, ensuring that Walkerburn Rugby Club remained a vibrant part of our community.

“While the chapter may be closing, the memories forged on the pitch, the friendships kindled, and the spirit of rugby will forever resonate within us. We bid farewell with gratitude and a sense of pride for the legacy we leave behind.

“Sincerely, The Walkerburn Rugby Club Committee.”
That's a real shame. Walkerburn appears a very sad looking place these days.
Blackmac

Tichtheid wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:33 pm
Slick wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:51 pm
KingBlairhorn wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:47 pm

I have a 5 year old. I thought I had a few years before sleepovers :eek:
So did we, but she decided she wanted a dinner party then sleepover for her birthday …. 2 sets of the other parents have been sending photos of themselves in the pub, the pricks
:lol:

I don't want to sound like, well whatever this sounds like, but cherish this, all of a sudden they will be finished with college or whatever and have their own lives.

I have no idea where the last 20 years went.
My sentiment exactly. My granddaughter is 3 and a half and it is an absolutely sensational age. My daughter and SiL have already had a 'Minimoon' and will shortly be going away for a full Honeymoon without her. It means that we are getting the pleasure of taking her away ourselves but I constantly moan at them that they shouldn't miss any opportunity to getaway with her because it will pass too quick.
Biffer

Big weekend coming up for Edinburgh. A win in Cardiff is vital, particularly because a lot of teams around us have tricky games at the same time.

Ospreys away to the Bulls
Stormers at home to Leinster
Lions at home to Munster
Ulster at home to Benneton

A win could put them in 6th or even 5th if other results are in our favour. With the game after that being Zebre at home, there’s a chance to push on and put ourselves in prime position for the playoff spot and place in the big boys cup.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
KingBlairhorn

I said this a few weeks ago when we were in the same position, I really hope the final table is as it is now. 2 Irish, 2 Scottish, 2 South African an Italian and a Welsh team into the playoffs. Perfect for keeping everyone interested in the league going into the playoffs and great to see at least one team from each country able to mount a reasonable challenge.
KingBlairhorn

Blackmac wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:12 am
Slick wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:51 pm

So did we, but she decided she wanted a dinner party then sleepover for her birthday …. 2 sets of the other parents have been sending photos of themselves in the pub, the pricks

I don't want to sound like, well whatever this sounds like, but cherish this, all of a sudden they will be finished with college or whatever and have their own lives.

My sentiment exactly. My granddaughter is 3 and a half and it is an absolutely sensational age. My daughter and SiL have already had a 'Minimoon' and will shortly be going away for a full Honeymoon without her. It means that we are getting the pleasure of taking her away ourselves but I constantly moan at them that they shouldn't miss any opportunity to getaway with her because it will pass too quick.
I've enjoyed the period from when my daughter first became truly 'interactive' - around 3ish - until now immensely. It really is such a great age, they are so enthusiastic about everything and although they have their moments, they are generally a delight to be around.
charltom

KingBlairhorn wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:19 am

I've enjoyed the period from when my daughter first became truly 'interactive' - around 3ish - until now immensely. It really is such a great age, they are so enthusiastic about everything and although they have their moments, they are generally a delight to be around.
I have a 6 and a 4 year old. It's glorious. Most of the time!

They are so fun and so loving, and so very kind. Most of the time!

I find I get annoyed with myself because I know I should treasure this time more than I sometimes do...
Biffer

KingBlairhorn wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:48 am I said this a few weeks ago when we were in the same position, I really hope the final table is as it is now. 2 Irish, 2 Scottish, 2 South African an Italian and a Welsh team into the playoffs. Perfect for keeping everyone interested in the league going into the playoffs and great to see at least one team from each country able to mount a reasonable challenge.
Nah, fuck the Welsh.
Wylie Coyote

charltom wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:05 am

I find I get annoyed with myself because I know I should treasure this time more than I sometimes do...
My oldest is 10 and seems to really value hanging out with me, if I'm out for an evening he's asking when I get home. I know it will change as the teenage years arrive but it's nice to realise he'd rather hang out with me than just about anyone. I need to switch from viewing it as a task/chore - childcare or parenting (which of course it still is) to spending quality time that I will miss in a few years time. The France game has thoroughly inculcated him with the general doom of being a Scottish Rugby fan, it took him a week to get over it! On the other hand England to him is a diddy team so beating them is no big deal, despite my tales of years of lost Calcutta Cups.
robmatic

My wee boy is just coming up to 5 and he is a sweet little kid. Has loads of varied things that he is enthusiastic about (dinosaurs, lego, singing, dancing) and talks relentlessly. It's great but parenting is also pretty tiring, and we don't have grandparents etc. nearby to share the load.
charltom

robmatic wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:24 pm

My wee boy is just coming up to 5 and he is a sweet little kid. Has loads of varied things that he is enthusiastic about (dinosaurs, lego, singing, dancing) and talks relentlessly. It's great but parenting is also pretty tiring, and we don't have grandparents etc. nearby to share the load.
Ditto!
Slick

Yeah, we have struggled with that a bit. Much as I love spending time with them, it would be nice to just offload for a night every now and then.
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
inactionman

Slick wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:49 pm

Yeah, we have struggled with that a bit. Much as I love spending time with them, it would be nice to just offload for a night every now and then.
I'd settle for a lie-in!

Our two girls are wonderful but very hard work, and listening seems to be optional at best. It's exhausting having to actively corral them, or find new and innovative ways to make brushing teeth fun.

We're also miles away from their one remaining grandparent (which I begrudge more from the fact my dad doesn't see them as often as he, they or we would like) and I'd never ask my brothers to help as I prefer my kids in one piece. It can be exhausting, and I end up shouting a lot more than I'd like - to be honest, any shouting is not what I'd like - as we get to end of tether. A bit of time away would really help just to get a bit of parenting air into lungs.

It's all pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things. They're brilliant, daft, loving and tremendous fun. I just wish they came with a volume switch and/or a sleep setting.
Blackmac

inactionman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:16 pm

I'd settle for a lie-in!

Our two girls are wonderful but very hard work, and listening seems to be optional at best. It's exhausting having to actively corral them, or find new and innovative ways to make brushing teeth fun.

We're also miles away from their one remaining grandparent (which I begrudge more from the fact my dad doesn't see them as often as he, they or we would like) and I'd never ask my brothers to help as I prefer my kids in one piece. It can be exhausting, and I end up shouting a lot more than I'd like - to be honest, any shouting is not what I'd like - as we get to end of tether. A bit of time away would really help just to get a bit of parenting air into lungs.

It's all pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things. They're brilliant, daft, loving and tremendous fun. I just wish they came with a volume switch and/or a sleep setting.
That's why grandad world is so much fun. 😂
Tichtheid

Blackmac wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:33 am
inactionman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:16 pm

I'd settle for a lie-in!

That's why grandad world is so much fun. 😂

Aye, I remember being told when our youngest was born that the first winter with three of them is hard going and it really was, stuck indoors when the weather is rubbish is not a lot of fun, the second winter isn't much better and after a few years of not sleeping you are zombied up to the max.

We don't have any yet, but I'm looking forward to be able to hand grandkids back after having fun with them.
westport

WALKERBURN RUGBY CLUB 100th SEVENS
We are sure many of you are aware of our latest post and update on Walkerburn Rugby Club and Annual 7’s.
Since this post, and as a result of the response from interested parties, we have decided we should review whether we have explored and discussed all possible resolutions to the situation.
A meeting was held on Friday 19th April in which ex-players, ex-committee and concerned community members attended.
As a result of the meeting Walkerburn Rugby Club will go ahead and hold its 100th rugby 7’s on a new date of 25th May 2024!
However, we can only do this with the help and support of the local community.
We need your help in every way shape and form.
Home baking, time on the day to help set up, manning a variety of stalls for short times throughout the day.
If you feel you can help in any way, please get in touch with Gregor Scougal 07860 345412 or email walkerburn7s@gmail.com
We look forward to giving Walkerburn and the rugby community a day to remember!
The future of Walkerburn Rugby Club will be discussed further over the summer to see how we can take the club forward. With the support of the rugby and local community we hope this will be an exciting close season.
Jock42

2 year deal for Bradbury. Hopefully he continues his Bristol form on his return.
Tichtheid

Two pieces of good news there, I hope Walkerburn manage to pull themselves out of the fire and that Maggie comes back firing on all cylinders and gets himself back into the Scotland mix - it wouldn't be a bad idea to take him on tour in the summer.

edited to add, the Bristol message bored is pretty pissed off at the Maggie news - there are mentions of "player of the season for us" - he was players' player of the season last year for them.

I think we probably saw the best of Big Bill, but I really do hope he plays well down the road - I don't particularly want to see Edinburgh drawn against them in Europe if we make the big cup.
SaintK

Jonny Gray released by Exeter with immediate effect today.
He's a free agent as he's not signed with anyone else. Bit of a sicknote recently though
Biffer

SaintK wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:54 am Jonny Gray released by Exeter with immediate effect today.
He's a free agent as he's not signed with anyone else. Bit of a sicknote recently though
Sympathy contract incoming from the SRU. He'd be better off in Pro D2
KingBlairhorn

There were rumours kicking around earlier in the year that he was keen on going to France. I expect that’s where he’ll end up.

Great news on Bradbury signing for Edinburgh. I hope he’s learned to use his size during his brief English sojourn.

There was one more piece of player news today; Fraser Brown has retired. There was a brief period where both he and McInally were world class. He’s been a great servant to Scottish rugby.
Tichtheid

KingBlairhorn wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:25 pm

There was one more piece of player news today; Fraser Brown has retired.

Terrific player, it's never good when a player retires due to injury rather than of his own decision. He is going into coaching, I believe. It's good that his experience stays in the game
KingBlairhorn

Tichtheid wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:59 pm
KingBlairhorn wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:25 pm

There was one more piece of player news today; Fraser Brown has retired.

Terrific player, it's never good when a player retires due to injury rather than of his own decision. He is going into coaching, I believe. It's good that his experience stays in the game
Yeah, he’s already coaching at watsonians. I’m sure if he wants it there will be a place for him in coaching in the pro teams too.
Tichtheid

I've just caught up with the Southern Knights Edinburgh A game from Friday. There was some good pace on display from the Embra backs, both starting and from he bench. I like the look of Jack Brown the fullback.

The 6ft 11 Carmichael was impressive, McVie is going to be a big player for Edinburgh I think, possibly for Scotland too.

There was a gulf in class for sure, but these guys have got to play somewhere, and if anything the scrum went better when Mikey Jones came on at 40 minutes
Biffer

Tichtheid wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:04 pm I've just caught up with the Southern Knights Edinburgh A game from Friday. There was some good pace on display from the Embra backs, both starting and from he bench. I like the look of Jack Brown the fullback.

The 6ft 11 Carmichael was impressive, McVie is going to be a big player for Edinburgh I think, possibly for Scotland too.

There was a gulf in class for sure, but these guys have got to play somewhere, and if anything the scrum went better when Mikey Jones came on at 40 minutes
Yeah, and if there's that much of a gulf against Super Six, imagine the extra gulf to playing premiership clubs. We have a massive problem in giving these young lads meaningful game time. And it's only going to get worse.
Tichtheid

Biffer wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:17 pm
Tichtheid wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:04 pm I've just caught up with the Southern Knights Edinburgh A game from Friday. There was some good pace on display from the Embra backs, both starting and from he bench. I like the look of Jack Brown the fullback.

Yeah, and if there's that much of a gulf against Super Six, imagine the extra gulf to playing premiership clubs. We have a massive problem in giving these young lads meaningful game time. And it's only going to get worse.

I completely agree. A recent senior post holder has been against the Super 6 from the start, his club were also against the reorganising of the leagues into fewer national leagues, a set up that was working in every way possible, but dented the reputation of some clubs that had previously played in the national leagues.

They're going to kill rugby in Scotland outside the public school system.
Biffer

Tichtheid wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:22 pm

I completely agree. A recent senior post holder has been against the Super 6 from the start, his club were also against the reorganising of the leagues into fewer national leagues, a set up that was working in every way possible, but dented the reputation of some clubs that had previously played in the national leagues.

They're going to kill rugby in Scotland outside the public school system.
Exactly. The schools are going to hoover up their talented colts and they'll be left with nothing. I'm growing more and more in favour of the SRU engaging with the private schools fully in a similar way to the Irish. The clubs will just be there to identify talent in under 14s.
Tichtheid

Mixed news - Boff might be back for the visit to Cardiff on Saturday, but Darcy Graham is out for the rest of the season. He's going to be the proverbial new signing next season. I hope we can get Harry Paterson back for the run in, I'd really like to see Goosen get a run at 13 with Currie at 12.
Jock42

Tichtheid wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:17 pm Mixed news - Boff might be back for the visit to Cardiff on Saturday, but Darcy Graham is out for the rest of the season. He's going to be the proverbial new signing next season. I hope we can get Harry Paterson back for the run in, I'd really like to see Goosen get a run at 13 with Currie at 12.
Paterson was potentially going to be back last weekend so fingers crossed for Cardiff.
I like neeps

I think two big issues are that rugby in England is a mess and in France it's thriving so you have two markets our players go to cut down. And the URC not playing in international game weeks means fewer minutes available for the fringes.

The Scottish pro clubs should only play SQ players I think. Project players aren't a viable development pathway anymore. It would mean a lean year or two probably but maybe not.

Also Edinburgh and Glasgow A should've been in the super6 from the start. It was always an SRU plan that wasn't going to be affordable or commercially viable past a few clubs - you'd have thought Melrose would be one but sadly not.
robmatic

I like neeps wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:21 am

I think two big issues are that rugby in England is a mess and in France it's thriving so you have two markets our players go to cut down. And the URC not playing in international game weeks means fewer minutes available for the fringes.

The Scottish pro clubs should only play SQ players I think. Project players aren't a viable development pathway anymore. It would mean a lean year or two probably but maybe not.

Also Edinburgh and Glasgow A should've been in the super6 from the start. It was always an SRU plan that wasn't going to be affordable or commercially viable past a few clubs - you'd have thought Melrose would be one but sadly not.
I think without the project player aspect the number of non-SQ players should definitely come down but I would still like to see a few in the squads for cultural/competition reasons rather than a blanket ban. In Scottish rugby we get all those privately educated lads who tend to walk into international rugby as soon as they become established as a pro and I suspect that isn't helpful in terms of building a high-performance culture. Having a few 'journeyman' players in the squad from elsewhere provides a benchmark for standards of professionalism, training etc. However, we definitely need the SRU to be more strategic about not overloading certain positions with non-SQ players.
Tichtheid

In Scottish rugby we get all those privately educated lads who tend to walk into international rugby as soon as they become established as a pro and I suspect that isn't helpful in terms of building a high-performance culture.
A few of the private schools offer scholarships to kids that are identified as being good prospects, George Horne and Jamie Ritchie seem to be best mates, they were at Strathallan, the Fagersons went there too, but they all started at state schools. Bradbury was at Merchie on a scholarship iirc, same with Sam H-C.
From their record in Scottish Schools Cups I think public school players come from a higher performing environment than is on offer at state schools, in general.

Chris Dean and Ben Muncaster started at North Berwick but went on to private school, I'm not sure about Rory Darge, also from North Berwick.

I may have said this before, but there was some guy arguing on TOL that the clubs had provided so many players to Scotland and that was the way to go forward. What he forgot to mention is that the players are all on SRU pathways at age group level almost all the way up, with few exceptions.

As far as I recall, Schoeman was the last "project player", others who may qualify like McKay and Venter do so not quite by accident, but they weren't specifically brought to Scotland as future Scotland internationalists, maybe Venter was, I don't remember.

We need to strengthen the level below Edinburgh and Glasgow, we've taken a big backwards step in that regard. I'm not sure how we fix it other than finding more funding for something like the Super Six. We don't have the money for a third pro team and to be honest we don't have 40 players plus coaches at that level to staff it anyway.
Big D

Definitely need to be selective with NSQ players but quality imports are still important IMO.

There are a couple of positions where a quality import can be really helpful. Especially if top Scots want to move abroad.
I like neeps

Big D wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:54 am Definitely need to be selective with NSQ players but quality imports are still important IMO.

There are a couple of positions where a quality import can be really helpful. Especially if top Scots want to move abroad.
The issue just is that there's so few opportunities for top Scots to go abroad now so we're in a position most Scottish developed internationals are in Scotland. And they we sign up the non Scottish developed internationals e.g. Skinner, Healy is their Scottish cap makes it harder to get contracts.

There just isn't the case for having NSQs who aren't saying Bofelli level world class when we don't lose internationals and struggle to develop them as we have no pathway.
Tichtheid

Jock42 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:25 pm
Tichtheid wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:17 pm Mixed news - Boff might be back for the visit to Cardiff on Saturday, but Darcy Graham is out for the rest of the season. He's going to be the proverbial new signing next season. I hope we can get Harry Paterson back for the run in, I'd really like to see Goosen get a run at 13 with Currie at 12.
Paterson was potentially going to be back last weekend so fingers crossed for Cardiff.

I've just read that Paterson is now expected back for the Zebre game in a couple of weeks, but Boff should be available for the Cardiff game as long as he has no reaction to training.
Big D

I like neeps wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:37 am
Big D wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:54 am Definitely need to be selective with NSQ players but quality imports are still important IMO.

The issue just is that there's so few opportunities for top Scots to go abroad now so we're in a position most Scottish developed internationals are in Scotland. And they we sign up the non Scottish developed internationals e.g. Skinner, Healy is their Scottish cap makes it harder to get contracts.

There just isn't the case for having NSQs who aren't saying Bofelli level world class when we don't lose internationals and struggle to develop them as we have no pathway.
Is it a lack of opportunity or lack of SRU/player willingness to let the player leave SRU control? Same thing I suppose.

If the sole aim of Edinburgh and Glasgow is to provide players for Scotland then sure. But there isn't the strength in depth in some positions from only Scottish qualified (and affordable) players. I also don't agree that it needs to be absolute top class players that are brought in to help improve things in certain positions although it clearly helps when they are that good.

Decent quality NSQs who improve the side are better signings than the likes of McBurney, especially when they can act as good mentors to the younger players. I still think Edinburgh (and Currie) would have benefitted a good NSQ centre rather than resigning Lang for example. Shiel would have benefitted from a decent quality mentor but that time has been and gone.

Good NSQs who can contribute could and should be a part of the development of SQ players where the right opportunity arises.
I like neeps

Big D wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:50 pm

Is it a lack of opportunity or lack of SRU/player willingness to let the player leave SRU control? Same thing I suppose.

If the sole aim of Edinburgh and Glasgow is to provide players for Scotland then sure. But there isn't the strength in depth in some positions from only Scottish qualified (and affordable) players. I also don't agree that it needs to be absolute top class players that are brought in to help improve things in certain positions although it clearly helps when they are that good.

Decent quality NSQs who improve the side are better signings than the likes of McBurney, especially when they can act as good mentors to the younger players. I still think Edinburgh (and Currie) would have benefitted a good NSQ centre rather than resigning Lang for example. Shiel would have benefitted from a decent quality mentor but that time has been and gone.

Good NSQs who can contribute could and should be a part of the development of SQ players where the right opportunity arises.
It's lack of opportunity firstly - look at transfers from Scottish clubs to English/French clubs 5/10 years to now. Kinghorn the only recent notable departure.

Then secondly yes SRU control specifically if you cap say James Lang. And his lack of qualification results in him struggling for a contract, other players are less likely to commit.

Is McBurney a good mentor? I think Harrison would be fine learning from the hookers who play ahead of McBurney and then plays actual rugby instead of McBurney.
Jock42

Tichtheid wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:21 pm
Jock42 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:25 pm

I've just read that Paterson is now expected back for the Zebre game in a couple of weeks, but Boff should be available for the Cardiff game as long as he has no reaction to training.
Good news on Boff. Pity for Paterson, potentially not much game time left this season outwith the tour.
Big D

I like neeps wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:36 pm
It's lack of opportunity firstly - look at transfers from Scottish clubs to English/French clubs 5/10 years to now. Kinghorn the only recent notable departure.

Then secondly yes SRU control specifically if you cap say James Lang. And his lack of qualification results in him struggling for a contract, other players are less likely to commit.

Is McBurney a good mentor? I think Harrison would be fine learning from the hookers who play ahead of McBurney and then plays actual rugby instead of McBurney.
There will be some who turn down moves elsewhere to stay within the SRU. Graham, Price and Jones reportedly had offers from elsewhere for example. All could have been agent talk of course.

I get giving the likes of Lang and Healy a first contract after caps but there has to be a point where getting a cap doesn't entitle players to second contracts.

Never suggested McBurney was a good mentor. Suggested a decent quality NSQ may provide better mentorship than the likes of McBurney who got a deal because he is SQ rather more than the quality of his play. I wasn't directly saying Harrison would have benefitted from a NSQ mentor.

I don't think we are that far apart in our views really. I see the benefit of a small number of decent quality or better of NSQ players where you'd rather have none. It is about 3 players difference on a squad of 40 odd.
clydecloggie

Big D wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:50 pm

I really hope that's not the case. I want both teams (well, Glasgow) to be great club sides in their own right, and challenge for trophies. Glasgow's Pro12 win is still the highlight in Scottish rugby of the last decade for me, and I'm hoping for a repeat this season. The Scotland team is important, but especially after yet another nothing RWC and 6N campaign, I'm increasingly seeing Glasgow as the team that's the most important to me.
Tichtheid

A terrible thing has happened.

I was just getting used to seeing the offspring of guys I played with on the park, now I'm seeing some of those offspring retiring :wtf: