The Official Scottish Rugby Thread

Where goats go to escape
Begbie

Yr Alban wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:45 pm Saw a rumour on Twitter today that the SRU have tied up Tuipulotu the younger. For Edinburgh. Which would certainly give the derbies an edge!
Mark Palmer is reporting it now, looks like it's a goer.
So I squares up, casual like.
I like neeps

Blair Kinghorn starts for Toulouse in the semi final over one Tomas Ramos. That's impressive!
dpedin

I like neeps wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:26 pm Blair Kinghorn starts for Toulouse in the semi final over one Tomas Ramos. That's impressive!
Ramos covers 10 and 15 so is an ideal bench option ... a bit ironic really?
I like neeps

dpedin wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:04 pm
I like neeps wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:26 pm Blair Kinghorn starts for Toulouse in the semi final over one Tomas Ramos. That's impressive!
Ramos covers 10 and 15 so is an ideal bench option ... a bit ironic really?
I mean, he's been an ideal starting 15 for them the last few years so this is a statement of what Toulouse think of Kinghorn's performances.
Tichtheid

Kinghorn has been excellent for Toulouse so far, the most recent game against Racing was the only one I didn't watch in its entirety but I saw his try which was well taken.

He was hooked and wrapped in cotton wool soon after.

I really hope this move is the making of him, he has a stellar ceiling
Biffer

It’s a perfect example of how we focus on peoples negatives in Scotland, and try to knock them down.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Tichtheid

Biffer wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:15 pm It’s a perfect example of how we focus on peoples negatives in Scotland, and try to knock them down.

I'm sure I mentioned this before on here, it was from the Netflix documentary where Blair and his partner are in their flat and she gets a text passing on lots of good luck messages for the upcoming game. Blair says "I only get old men telling me I'm shite".
KingBlairhorn

Fuck me, he’s not quite a childhood hero of mine (that’d be big Gav) given he’s a decade younger than me but Hoggy was a formative part of my rugby psyche. To learn he’s (allegedly) a proper wrong un is tough.
Yr Alban

KingBlairhorn wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:10 pm Fuck me, he’s not quite a childhood hero of mine (that’d be big Gav) given he’s a decade younger than me but Hoggy was a formative part of my rugby psyche. To learn he’s (allegedly) a proper wrong un is tough.
An old teacher of mine was at Heriot’s with Andy Irvine and told me he was an absolute arsehole. I was at Uni with a guy who played against Toony and said he was the most arrogant player he’d ever met. Immense talent on the rugby pitch often seems to go along with being a toxic person. I’m just glad this stuff didn’t all come out whilst he was still representing Scotland.
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
KingBlairhorn

Yr Alban wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:10 pm
KingBlairhorn wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:10 pm Fuck me, he’s not quite a childhood hero of mine (that’d be big Gav) given he’s a decade younger than me but Hoggy was a formative part of my rugby psyche. To learn he’s (allegedly) a proper wrong un is tough.
An old teacher of mine was at Heriot’s with Andy Irvine and told me he was an absolute arsehole. I was at Uni with a guy who played against Toony and said he was the most arrogant player he’d ever met. Immense talent on the rugby pitch often seems to go along with being a toxic person. I’m just glad this stuff didn’t all come out whilst he was still representing Scotland.
It's weird though because whenever you meet these guys they are brilliant. I've been in social situations with loads of internationals (mostly charity stuff so I'm sure they are on their best behaviour) and they've always been dead on - I suppose these guys are able to put on a persona at will. I've never met Toonie individually nor Hogg, but have spent a decent amount of time (i.e. sat at a table with them for dinner) with my childhood heroes like the Hastings brothers, Andy Nicol and Chris Patterson as well as more contemporary players like Kelly Brown and Jim Hamilton and they've never been anything short of lovely. It's a sad old world I suppose.
Begbie

So I squares up, casual like.
Tichtheid

Begbie wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:05 am Tui Jr confirmed

https://www.scotlandrugbynews.com/news/ ... etes-move/
It took Sione a wee while to settle in and when he did he kicked on to a remarkable degree.

Mosese is 22, Matt Currie has just turned 23, they could have ten years at Edinburgh. Cammy Scott is 23, Harry Paterson 22, Jake Henry 23, that's just the ones who I think can be very good players for Edinburgh and put pressure on the senior guys in their positions. Whether they are just "good enough for Edinburgh", or good enough to improve Edinburgh's perpetual mediocrity is another matter.

btw, what will it be, Curripulotu? Bennipulotu? Deanopulotu? Langipolotu?
westport

Happiness is eggshaped has pictures of BK before and after yesterday's game, I don't know how to upload them, with a broken shnoz :crazy:
Tichtheid

westport wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:26 am Happiness is eggshaped has pictures of BK before and after yesterday's game, I don't know how to upload them, with a broken shnoz :crazy:
There is a pic on the Not Heine thread - it looks really painful. I had a look and it happened right a the very end of the game, the clock had gone 80. It was just an accidental collision.
westport

Tichtheid wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:29 am
westport wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:26 am Happiness is eggshaped has pictures of BK before and after yesterday's game, I don't know how to upload them, with a broken shnoz :crazy:
There is a pic on the Not Heine thread - it looks really painful. I had a look and it happened right a the very end of the game, the clock had gone 80. It was just an accidental collision.
I missed that one but it does look a sore one
SaintK

dpedin

KingBlairhorn wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:15 pm
It's weird though because whenever you meet these guys they are brilliant. I've been in social situations with loads of internationals (mostly charity stuff so I'm sure they are on their best behaviour) and they've always been dead on - I suppose these guys are able to put on a persona at will. I've never met Toonie individually nor Hogg, but have spent a decent amount of time (i.e. sat at a table with them for dinner) with my childhood heroes like the Hastings brothers, Andy Nicol and Chris Patterson as well as more contemporary players like Kelly Brown and Jim Hamilton and they've never been anything short of lovely. It's a sad old world I suppose.
I can confirm the Andy Irvine story, very driven individual. However I suspect rugby players are just a cross section of society at large mostly nice folk but there is always an arsehole in every group. I have had beers with many ex rugby and football internationals and by far most are good guys but there is always an arsehole in every group/team. If you dont think your friendship group/team has its arsehole ... then it's probably you!
Big D

It is a tale as old as time.

Prodigious talent head filled with how good they are and elevated to a pedestal.
Sportsperson allegedly shags around.
Sportspersons career ends and marriage ends (often due to their actions).
Sportsperson can't cope with that and hits the booze (or worse worse) and let themselves down big time through their actions that they should be held accountable for.

He may not be a good person going by reports and online stories.
He's 31 with 4 kids 9 and under and likely has a long life ahead of him so needs to sort himself out, pay the penance due and do the right thing by his ex-wife and kids. Otherwise he'll end up a sad old man who pissed it all away rather than playing a part in his kids life, if allowed.
Last edited by Big D on Mon May 06, 2024 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Big D

Tichtheid wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:15 am

It took Sione a wee while to settle in and when he did he kicked on to a remarkable degree.

Mosese is 22, Matt Currie has just turned 23, they could have ten years at Edinburgh. Cammy Scott is 23, Harry Paterson 22, Jake Henry 23, that's just the ones who I think can be very good players for Edinburgh and put pressure on the senior guys in their positions. Whether they are just "good enough for Edinburgh", or good enough to improve Edinburgh's perpetual mediocrity is another matter.

btw, what will it be, Curripulotu? Bennipulotu? Deanopulotu? Langipolotu?
Probably Curripulotu if MT gets a start.

Could be Twoipulotu for Scotland.
Slick

It only takes one bad experience for it to go round that so and so is an arsehole, particularly in a small place like Scottish rugby. I’ve got to know Scott Hastings quite well over the years as some good mates of mine are also good mates of his,and we’ve had him come over to our group at various bars here and abroad loads of times for a bit of a time out as folk are getting on his tits. It must be very difficult being a nice bloke all the time when most of the time you are meeting pissed up blokes in bars.

FWIW, I’ve met Andy Irvine and Toony a few times, when alcohol was and wasn’t involved, and they have been great every time.

Like was said above, it soon gets round who’s a genuine twat
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
westport

THE curtain has finally fallen on Scottish Rugby’s Mark Dodson era with the news that the governing body has informed Companies House that they have terminated the former chief executive’s directorship.

The ‘termination’ took place last Tuesday, 30 April, but was only officially logged with Companies House this morning, Monday 6th May.

Dodson, who was appointed chief executive in 2011, announced in January of this year that he planned to step down in the summer. His most recent new contract, signed in 2022, was not due to expire until the summer of 2025.

https://www.theoffsideline.com/mark-dod ... erminated/
Yr Alban

Slick wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:26 pm

It only takes one bad experience for it to go round that so and so is an arsehole, particularly in a small place like Scottish rugby. I’ve got to know Scott Hastings quite well over the years as some good mates of mine are also good mates of his,and we’ve had him come over to our group at various bars here and abroad loads of times for a bit of a time out as folk are getting on his tits. It must be very difficult being a nice bloke all the time when most of the time you are meeting pissed up blokes in bars.

FWIW, I’ve met Andy Irvine and Toony a few times, when alcohol was and wasn’t involved, and they have been great every time.

Like was said above, it soon gets round who’s a genuine twat
Didn’t mean to start a long thread with this! TBH sometimes people just don’t get along, and also it’s a bit unfair judging people on what they were like at school (as would have been the case with both Irvine and GT here). Many people were dicks at school and turned into decent folk later on.
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
fishfoodie

Yr Alban wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:50 pm Didn’t mean to start a long thread with this! TBH sometimes people just don’t get along, and also it’s a bit unfair judging people on what they were like at school (as would have been the case with both Irvine and GT here). Many people were dicks at school and turned into decent folk later on.
Aye, & I'd add having a family into the list of events that transform guys who were previously obnoxious dickheads into ones you can happily spend time with !

Sometimes it takes major events for people to stop thinking solely about themselves, & realise it isn't just about them.
robmatic

Have already seen a bit too much hype about a player who could be the next Sep Visser. A handful of pro appearances does not make him a "phenomenal" addition to the squad.
topofthemoon

Happy birthday to Pierre Schoeman. On a related note, as of today there are no capped Scottish loosehead props who are under 30 years of age.
Tichtheid

topofthemoon wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:35 pm Happy birthday to Pierre Schoeman. On a related note, as of today there are no capped Scottish loosehead props who are under 30 years of age.

I expect McBeth will tour in the summer, but your point stands, there isn't exactly a conveyor belt of talented props coming through. Venter still has two years to qualify and I think he'll be 29 by then.

Mikey Jones looks promising, but it's only that at the moment. Given De Bruin is moving on I hope to see more game time for Jones next season. For the other side, Everitt is making all the right noises about Ollie B-L, but he's only just turned 18 so he is a ways from being a regular option.
Blackmac

Hogg pleads not guilty. Seems happy to put the wife through a court appearance. From what I've heard he needs to man the fuck up and accept his behaviour.
Yr Alban

One of my Uni mates has just been appointed as Dr James Robson’s replacement as SRU team doctor. Not a surprise - he’s worked with the team for years - but I’m delighted for him all the same.

https://x.com/sportsdocskye/status/1787 ... 53746?s=46
Biffer

Hollie Davidson to ref the South Africans in the summer. Congrats to her, I reckon we might see her get a 6Ns game next year.
KingBlairhorn

Tichtheid wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:19 pm
topofthemoon wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:35 pm Happy birthday to Pierre Schoeman. On a related note, as of today there are no capped Scottish loosehead props who are under 30 years of age.

I expect McBeth will tour in the summer, but your point stands, there isn't exactly a conveyor belt of talented props coming through. Venter still has two years to qualify and I think he'll be 29 by then.

Mikey Jones looks promising, but it's only that at the moment. Given De Bruin is moving on I hope to see more game time for Jones next season. For the other side, Everitt is making all the right noises about Ollie B-L, but he's only just turned 18 so he is a ways from being a regular option.
If we are allowing technicalities then Murray McCallum has also packed down at loosie on occasion. Still, very slim pickings for young props. The SRU MUST ensure that Murphy Walker makes it at tighthead and Mikey Jones at loosehead, but then they MUST also ensure that Norrie, Deans and Blyth-Lafferty make it through or we will be importing players again. As it stands, beyond Fagerson (and Sutherland if he can get fit) I expect all our props are going to end up being reared outside of Scotland for the foreseeable (Fagerson, Hurd, Sebastian, Millar-Mills probably the frontrunners at tighthead and Schoe, Hepburn, McBeth at loosehead).
Biffer

KingBlairhorn wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:46 am
Tichtheid wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:19 pm

If we are allowing technicalities then Murray McCallum has also packed down at loosie on occasion. Still, very slim pickings for young props. The SRU MUST ensure that Murphy Walker makes it at tighthead and Mikey Jones at loosehead, but then they MUST also ensure that Norrie, Deans and Blyth-Lafferty make it through or we will be importing players again. As it stands, beyond Fagerson (and Sutherland if he can get fit) I expect all our props are going to end up being reared outside of Scotland for the foreseeable (Fagerson, Hurd, Sebastian, Millar-Mills probably the frontrunners at tighthead and Schoe, Hepburn, McBeth at loosehead).
Might already be too late for Walker, 25 later this year, but generally I agree. Jones, the B-L boys, Deans, Norrie, Banatavala, Smyth, must all get game time. And we need to find ways to help lads like O'Driscoll and Young in the English system as well.

The critical thing is game time from 18-22 at the right level. That's what's missing. The clubs can not provide it and won't be able to either. SO where do they get it? Playing each other four times a season, plus U20 squads isn't enough.
Tichtheid

Edinburgh Rugby team to face Zebre Parma at Hive Stadium in the BKT United Rugby Championship
Friday 10 May (kick-off 7.35pm) – live on Premier Sports

15. Wes Goosen (29)
14. Matt Currie (36)
13. Mark Bennett (105)
12. James Lang (54)
11. Duhan van der Merwe (89)
10. Ben Healy (20)
9. Ali Price (14)

1. Pierre Schoeman (112)
2. Ewan Ashman (17)
3. WP Nel (204)
4. Sam Skinner (22)
5. Grant Gilchrist (202) CAPTAIN
6. Jamie Ritchie (111)
7. Hamish Watson (156)
8. Viliame Mata (135)

Replacements
16. Dave Cherry (90)
17. Boan Venter (63)
18. Javan Sebastian (14)
19. Marshall Sykes (59)
20. Luke Crosbie (97)
21. Ben Vellacott (58)
22. Cammy Scott (9)
23. Chris Dean (150)

Unavailable: Emiliano Boffelli (back), Connor Boyle (back), Tom Dodd (bicep), Darcy Graham (groin), Jake Henry (hamstring), Robin Hislop (knee), Harry Paterson (quad), D’Arcy Rae (ankle), Scott Steele (hip), Nathan Sweeney (groin), Glen Young (ankle).
topofthemoon

topofthemoon wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:23 pm A wee look at the URC run-in. Glasgow and Edinburgh's remaining fixtures - and their previous records against the same opponents; what the targets might be for maximising finishing positions; and some possible permutations for the playoffs.

https://www.scotlandrugbynews.com/news/ ... edinburgh/
Bit of an update on this and an attempt to predict the outcome if Glasgow and Edinburgh can both return 2 wins from 3 in their remaining URC regular season fixtures:

https://www.scotlandrugbynews.com/news/ ... mutations/
inactionman

Russell and Redpath both on for starts for Bath at Newcastle tomorrow night.

From an English perspective, unfortunate that Redpath's spot comes at Ojomoh's expense. I also note Cammy Hutchison in at centre for Newcastle, I recall his name from international age grade but he seems to have fallen off international radar?

Josh Bayliss also on the bench for Bath, it's a very strong starting Bath back row so him and Miles Reid are riding a fair old bit of pine at the minute.
Tichtheid

inactionman wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:22 pm Russell and Redpath both on for starts for Bath at Newcastle tomorrow night.

From an English perspective, unfortunate that Redpath's spot comes at Ojomoh's expense. I also note Cammy Hutchison in at centre for Newcastle, I recall his name from international age grade but he seems to have fallen off international radar?

Josh Bayliss also on the bench for Bath, it's a very strong starting Bath back row so him and Miles Reid are riding a fair old bit of pine at the minute.

Hutchison was unfortunate, I think, in being let go from Edinburgh, I can only assume it was budgetary rather than a quality issue. Having said that Matt Currie has been brought into the first team group and he's doing really well.
topofthemoon

Match preview for Edinburgh v Zebre:

https://www.scotlandrugbynews.com/edinb ... urc-clash/
robmatic

Tichtheid wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:07 am Edinburgh Rugby team to face Zebre Parma at Hive Stadium in the BKT United Rugby Championship
Friday 10 May (kick-off 7.35pm) – live on Premier Sports

15. Wes Goosen (29)
14. Matt Currie (36)
13. Mark Bennett (105)
12. James Lang (54)
11. Duhan van der Merwe (89)
10. Ben Healy (20)
9. Ali Price (14)

1. Pierre Schoeman (112)
2. Ewan Ashman (17)
3. WP Nel (204)
4. Sam Skinner (22)
5. Grant Gilchrist (202) CAPTAIN
6. Jamie Ritchie (111)
7. Hamish Watson (156)
8. Viliame Mata (135)

Replacements
16. Dave Cherry (90)
17. Boan Venter (63)
18. Javan Sebastian (14)
19. Marshall Sykes (59)
20. Luke Crosbie (97)
21. Ben Vellacott (58)
22. Cammy Scott (9)
23. Chris Dean (150)

Unavailable: Emiliano Boffelli (back), Connor Boyle (back), Tom Dodd (bicep), Darcy Graham (groin), Jake Henry (hamstring), Robin Hislop (knee), Harry Paterson (quad), D’Arcy Rae (ankle), Scott Steele (hip), Nathan Sweeney (groin), Glen Young (ankle).
Apparently it's only the 4th time that Lang and Bennett have started together this season, which I think might have contributed to our less than sparkling back play. To me, they are our best combination in the centres. For example, I like Currie a lot but he's been playing at 12 when he is probably more suited to 13 (at least at the moment).
robmatic

inactionman wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:22 pm
Hutchison was a solid enough pro at Edinburgh when he eventually got picked up, but he spent a bit of time at lower levels first. He was competent but nowhere near international standard I would have said, and that's without even considering the strong competition in his position.
Tichtheid

robmatic wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:08 pm

Apparently it's only the 4th time that Lang and Bennett have started together this season, which I think might have contributed to our less than sparkling back play. To me, they are our best combination in the centres. For example, I like Currie a lot but he's been playing at 12 when he is probably more suited to 13 (at least at the moment).

Lang at his best is very good, but he's made of glass. I've been watching Mark Bennett very closely recently and he's proved very wrong - I was ready to write him off.

Having said that, I'm quite excited about the prospect of Mosese reaching the standards Sione had thrown down and Curripulotu being our centres for several years to come (apologies for repeating the joke, but Currie looks very much the part, if Mosese can emulate his brother that will be a huge fillip for this team)
Biffer

Tichtheid wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:15 pm
robmatic wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:08 pm

Lang at his best is very good, but he's made of glass. I've been watching Mark Bennett very closely recently and he's proved very wrong - I was ready to write him off.

Having said that, I'm quite excited about the prospect of Mosese reaching the standards Sione had thrown down and Curripulotu being our centres for several years to come (apologies for repeating the joke, but Currie looks very much the part, if Mosese can emulate his brother that will be a huge fillip for this team)
Bennett has now played a lot more for Edinburgh than he did for Glasgow. Excellent player.