Saffers

Where goats go to escape
Sards

Sards wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:54 am Sandown rd. Parklands.
Ja. There is a mate already asked for our griller.
The guy opening next door is talking to the others.
pretty much all sorted.... :thumbup:
LoveOfTheGame

Sards wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:03 am
That's great news Sards :thumbup:
Sards

LoveOfTheGame wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:50 am
Sards wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:03 am
That's great news Sards :thumbup:
We knew they would be rehomed easily. A Chinese take away is taking the one too. So we are happy
Sards

Anyone else struggling under load shedding......its definitely not going to get better.

For our home office we are struggling for a solution.
Our gel batteries can't cope. They last 6 months. So we need to upgrade our entire inverter system.

My solution is a generator. It will be easy enough to insulate. My wife reckons availability of fuel might become an issue. I can't see that.

The other option is a backup unit with lithium batteries.

The 3rd option is solar with lithium batteries.

Anyone got any opinions
assfly

Sards wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:41 pm Anyone else struggling under load shedding......its definitely not going to get better.

Our gel batteries can't cope. They last 6 months. So we need to upgrade our entire inverter system.

My solution is a generator. It will be easy enough to insulate. My wife reckons availability of fuel might become an issue. I can't see that.

Anyone got any opinions
A windmill?
Get the kids on stationary bikes and hook them up to batteries?
Steam-driven engines?
Sandstorm

Solar all day long. Expensive to setup, but pays for itself in 5-7 years. Then it's pure profit.
Sards

Sandstorm wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:43 pm Solar all day long. Expensive to setup, but pays for itself in 5-7 years. Then it's pure profit.
I am torn between solar and generator
OomStruisbaai

Solar is moer expensive. You have to choose between R200,000 and R15,000. Or you can rent solar.

I havent heard of a single person who got their solar sorted first time. You start with R120,000 and then you have to add on panels/batteries ext to get it working 100%.
OomStruisbaai

If you got your generator then your invertor will be working. Just need to start the generator when your batteries run under 50% and it will last longer. This double shifts load shedding with stage 6 is a vokop.
LoveOfTheGame

Sards wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:18 pm
Sandstorm wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:43 pm Solar all day long. Expensive to setup, but pays for itself in 5-7 years. Then it's pure profit.
I am torn between solar and generator
Generators can get very expensive to run. They are noisy (especially at night). There is always the concern of peaks/spikes between switching Eskom and generator supply. They are a schlep to refuel and require regular services. But they are cheaper to buy. Installation is also simpler with either a manual or automatic changeover switch that is wired into your DB board. Pending what size generator you choose your electrician could easily choose which circuits (lights and plugs) to include and which to leave out (geyser, Oven/Stove) or just add it all in if your generator can handle the load. Remember to do yourself a favour and install a surge protector on your incoming supply. Most insurers have removed cover as a result of loadshedding surges during changeovers.

The benefits of having solar power system installed is self evident. They provide uninterrupted energy to your house. Save you money on your utility bill and are silent. Just make sure you use Lifepo4 batteries, never go above 90% dod. But it's very expensive and the contractors are moer busy and suppliers keep running our of stock.

It's all just effing depressing. The impact of this winter's loadshedding is going to be disastrous to SME's and to south africans in general. Brace yourselves, it's going to get really bumpy.
Yeeb

Sards wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:41 pm Anyone else struggling under load shedding......its definitely not going to get better.

Anyone got any opinions
Presume your tattooist got effected by load shedding and had to complete most of your work by candlelight ?
Sards

Yeeb wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:33 am

Anyone got any opinions
Presume your tattooist got effected by load shedding and had to complete most of your work by candlelight ?
Vok me......haven't thought about tattoos for years...I must see if his tattoo gun can be powered by candles...never heard of it
Sards

OomStruisbaai wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:16 pm If you got your generator then your invertor will be working. Just need to start the generator when your batteries run under 50% and it will last longer. This double shifts load shedding with stage 6 is a vokop.
They are bullshitting its stage 6....its stage 8 if you read the requirements for stage 8.

Its a vokkop of note....I am getting my factory staff in either later in the day once load shedding finishes and leave when afternoon load shedding occurs . So they are loosing lots of hours. Obviously its not my fault. Up to this month I have been carrying it , but I cannot anymore, its standard practice to stand down factory staff during load shedding. Even the large factories have started sending the staff home .

We are working a half day. 4hrs only
Yeeb

Sards wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:52 am
Yeeb wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:33 am

Anyone got any opinions
Vok me......haven't thought about tattoos for years...I must see if his tattoo gun can be powered by candles...never heard of it
I doubt he’s heard of a tattoo gun either , just the bits of bamboo & paper clip
Sards

Yeeb wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:16 pm
I doubt he’s heard of a tattoo gun either , just the bits of bamboo & paper clip
Keeping it real. I like that.... :thumbup:
_Os_

Anyone got any opinions
The western half of SA is one of the very best locations on the planet for solar, lots of clear sunny hours in every day. It's also one of the better places for wind. If you have the money solar is a no brainer.

SA is in this position because of the ANC's/Zuma's obsession with Russian nuclear, solar and wind projects were rejected during the 2010s in favour of nuclear, SA could've had a massive amount of renewables by now. Then the nuclear didn't happen, because it was obviously unaffordable and a corrupt shit show (the Russians wanted to lumber SA with 20 nuclear power stations or something insane). So the new build programme during the 2010s, ended up being nothing at all. Meanwhile the new coal power station build from the 2000s, is still struggling to reach final completion.
_Os_

An unsolicited Ox-Bot post.

What is your target market?

I spent some time over lunch looking at that area on Google street view. Looks like it was a bit predictable that mall would end up kak. SA has so many malls no one travels far getting to one, the area the mall is in ends up being what the mall is like. Area looks high density and new build, so it's basically new wealth/lower middle class, and you were competing directly with McDonalds/KFC/Nando's for passing non-local customers that aren't as picky.

My unsolicited suggestions:

#1 Target market foreign tourists. This means aiming for a location in the city bowl somewhere. Probably unaffordable. But worth thinking about why foreign tourists? They come to SA to spend money and aren't going to be cooking, they also aren't going to pick a chain restaurant they have at home as first choice. They're going to eat at local sit down restaurants every night.

#2 Target local tourists. These locations will be more affordable, they don't go to the same places the foreigners do. Locations can be found from where the Airbnb and normal B&Bs are. Big Bay near you looks good. You're not going to be aiming for a mall, but something smaller near the beachfront.

#3 Target commuters and locals. Maybe the hardest location to find, means being on a main road with a lot of passing traffic similar to the location you had. If your setup is good it becomes like a local landmark. Probably don't want it built up with lots of competition though.

Blaauwberg Road close to the beach is hitting market 2 and 3. Looks lower density than where you were and more established. Also stand alone buildings on the road, so your brand isn't linked to the mall it's in.
Blake

Anyone got any opinions
Solar with a 8kw inverter and 10kwH of Lithum or LiFePO4 batteries and around 5-8kW solar capacity. That's pretty much what you should be aiming for. Going to set you back around R200k if you can get stock; but that was also before the Rand tanked today, so it might be more soon.

If you have a gas stove and solar geyser you'll be 98% grid-independent with that setup, but you can still run your geyser and electric stove on that setup if you want, just need to monitor use.

The only issue is on cloudy days like today. In summer it's easy to charge everything up, but on rainy cloudy days you need some grid to supplement.
Blake

_Os_ wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:31 pm

I spent some time over lunch looking at that area on Google street view. Looks like it was a bit predictable that mall would end up kak. SA has so many malls no one travels far getting to one, the area the mall is in ends up being what the mall is like. Area looks high density and new build, so it's basically new wealth/lower middle class, and you were competing directly with McDonalds/KFC/Nando's for passing non-local customers that aren't as picky.

#1 Target market foreign tourists. This means aiming for a location in the city bowl somewhere. Probably unaffordable. But worth thinking about why foreign tourists? They come to SA to spend money and aren't going to be cooking, they also aren't going to pick a chain restaurant they have at home as first choice. They're going to eat at local sit down restaurants every night.

#2 Target local tourists. These locations will be more affordable, they don't go to the same places the foreigners do. Locations can be found from where the Airbnb and normal B&Bs are. Big Bay near you looks good. You're not going to be aiming for a mall, but something smaller near the beachfront.

#3 Target commuters and locals. Maybe the hardest location to find, means being on a main road with a lot of passing traffic similar to the location you had. If your setup is good it becomes like a local landmark. Probably don't want it built up with lots of competition though.

Blaauwberg Road close to the beach is hitting market 2 and 3. Looks lower density than where you were and more established. Also stand alone buildings on the road, so your brand isn't linked to the mall it's in.
Ja, I've been to the shop 3 times. Food was pretty good, but it was a mission to get there and the mall was a dump. Great place for a proof of concept, and to work out all the kinks of the operation, but not a great spot for growth. It's a bit off the beaten track if you aren't a local living in the surroundings. It's not a destination mall if you aren't going to the Food Lovers Market which is the anchor tenant. Every other shop at that place was shit. The ice cream place was nice to pick up some eskimo pies I guess.

Unfortunately the rent in the popular tourist areas (Blauwberg, Eden on the Bay or the CBD) is completely bonkers. I'm sure Sards and his missus have looked at it, and the numbers just didn't make sense.
_Os_

Blake wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:42 pm
_Os_ wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:31 pm

Ja, I've been to the shop 3 times. Food was pretty good, but it was a mission to get there and the mall was a dump. Great place for a proof of concept, and to work out all the kinks of the operation, but not a great spot for growth. It's a bit off the beaten track if you aren't a local living in the surroundings. It's not a destination mall if you aren't going to the Food Lovers Market which is the anchor tenant. Every other shop at that place was shit. The ice cream place was nice to pick up some eskimo pies I guess.

Unfortunately the rent in the popular tourist areas (Blauwberg, Eden on the Bay or the CBD) is completely bonkers. I'm sure Sards and his missus have looked at it, and the numbers just didn't make sense.
It really is the location that matters with a business like that. Unless the long suffering Mrs.Sardy can build a reputation on deliveries/Uber Eats, there's a new American restaurant business model ("ghost kitchens") that uses spare kitchen capacity in already existing businesses and is delivery only (so when the restaurant/hotel kitchen isn't open, the "ghost kitchen" rents the spare time and is delivery only). Probably need a physical sit down location in SA though.

Blaauwberg Road three or four blocks back from the beach nearer the West Coast Road than the beach (so on two main roads), looks like it could fit. There's already a Sushi bar, Ghanaian restaurant, Greek restaurant, and deli focused on coffee/pastry/cakes on that stretch. But there's also stuff usually found in low rent areas, beauty/tanning salons, tattoo shops, property/letting agents, print shop, laundry ... makes me wonder if that area could be within Sard's price range. I looked at the reviews for the 4 restaurants on that stretch, no idea about the money they're making, but they are getting trade and at least one of them is getting some success as a local land mark type place (the Deli has 342 reviews and a 4.8 out of 5 rating, one of the reviewers I looked at seems to be Canadian tourist who obviously went there because of the Google reviews/rating). Checked the area around there generally, looks like normal SA suburbia.

That's the type of spot I would be aiming for.
Sards

Nah. The industry is vokked atm.
Been in it long enough to realize the issues. And I can see how demand for catering equipment has dropped off drastically. April was the worst month in history for our industry. A complete loss. From all the players. People just aren't interested in dealing with the issues of load shedding. You need to foot a 350k bill just to be able to have electricity during load shedding.
The mall was pretty decent when we moved in. Then it just started deteriorating. Fast. No maintenance so it started to look like a shithole. There is a lot to detail but I am so over it. Another mall in Milnerton near us went the same way. They are almost a hull now with no tenants. Busy planning a huge upgrade to attract tenants back.
We don't have to operate the take away. It was more a showroom for the factory and a passion from my wife to try something different. So it was never an income generator we were dependent on.
When the lease was coming to an end we discussed it at length and last minute. com. Decided to bin it for now.
We made a lot of mistakes first time. We learnt. And paid for it. Now we are not rushing into any decisions but rather doing it right. It's all stored away intact. So if we feel ready and conditions are right we will fire it all up again. It's no biggie for us.
Life is about living experiences. Having fun and loving and growing your family. Work is just a necessary annoyance.
I am well known in the industry for being " the hippy "
Dudes. You don't know when you are going. I was tested positive for prostrate 4 years ago. I am not interested in going through treatments. I have seen what it does to you. I am just loving my life...
Yeeb

Zar now 24 to £

Ouch fellas.
_Os_

Sards wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:37 am Nah. The industry is vokked atm.
Been in it long enough to realize the issues. And I can see how demand for catering equipment has dropped off drastically. April was the worst month in history for our industry. A complete loss. From all the players. People just aren't interested in dealing with the issues of load shedding. You need to foot a 350k bill just to be able to have electricity during load shedding.
The mall was pretty decent when we moved in. Then it just started deteriorating. Fast. No maintenance so it started to look like a shithole. There is a lot to detail but I am so over it. Another mall in Milnerton near us went the same way. They are almost a hull now with no tenants. Busy planning a huge upgrade to attract tenants back.
We don't have to operate the take away. It was more a showroom for the factory and a passion from my wife to try something different. So it was never an income generator we were dependent on.
When the lease was coming to an end we discussed it at length and last minute. com. Decided to bin it for now.
We made a lot of mistakes first time. We learnt. And paid for it. Now we are not rushing into any decisions but rather doing it right. It's all stored away intact. So if we feel ready and conditions are right we will fire it all up again. It's no biggie for us.
Life is about living experiences. Having fun and loving and growing your family. Work is just a necessary annoyance.
I am well known in the industry for being " the hippy "
Dudes. You don't know when you are going. I was tested positive for prostrate 4 years ago. I am not interested in going through treatments. I have seen what it does to you. I am just loving my life...
Interesting post Sardy, way longer than your usual, good to know you've got it under control.

But are you saying you have prostate cancer? Fuck, got a bit emotional reading that. :cry:
OomStruisbaai

Yeeb wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:47 pm Zar now 24 to £

Ouch fellas.
Can you see the worries in our eyes?
OomStruisbaai

Sards sorry about the prostate cancer Boet. Fight hard like a soldier!
assfly

I remember someone on here asking for recommendations of history books on South Africa.

There's a fella called Des Latham with a podcast on iTunes and Spotify called the History of South Africa, I'm currently on episode 27 and it's fascinating. I'm actually embarrassed about how little I know about South Africa's history, although I remember in high school all we learnt about was Apartheid.

The part about the arrival of the Dutch is particularly interesting, and goes way beyond modern narratives of them.
Sards

OomStruisbaai wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:48 am Sards sorry about the prostate cancer Boet. Fight hard like a soldier!
I have kept this to myself.. Mad moment of weakness mentioning it because I don't want to think about it or have people feel sorry for me.
LoveOfTheGame

Sards wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:24 pm
OomStruisbaai wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:48 am Sards sorry about the prostate cancer Boet. Fight hard like a soldier!
I have kept this to myself.. Mad moment of weakness mentioning it because I don't want to think about it or have people feel sorry for me.
Fair enough Sards. :thumbup: Let's change the subject, did you buy a ticket to go support the Stormers in the final?
assfly

LoveOfTheGame wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:15 pm Fair enough Sards. :thumbup: Let's change the subject, did you buy a ticket to go support the Stormers in the final?
Don't you think he's suffered enough?
LoveOfTheGame

assfly wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:48 am
LoveOfTheGame wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:15 pm Fair enough Sards. :thumbup: Let's change the subject, did you buy a ticket to go support the Stormers in the final?
Nah, did you know that Sards has a photo of Damian Willemse holding the URC cup behind his toilet door?
assfly

LoveOfTheGame wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:13 am Nah, did you know that Sards has a photo of Damian Willemse holding the URC cup behind his toilet door?
That's enough to give me the runs.
LoveOfTheGame

assfly wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:00 am
LoveOfTheGame wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:13 am Nah, did you know that Sards has a photo of Damian Willemse holding the URC cup behind his toilet door?
That's enough to give me the runs.
:lolno:
OomStruisbaai

LoveOfTheGame wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:13 am
assfly wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:48 am
Nah, did you know that Sards has a photo of Damian Willemse holding the URC cup behind his toilet door?
and the WC.
Sards

How are you guys with pools and water tanks coping.

It's a nightmare with the heavy rains.

Last week I had to run out in the rain to switch to waste to drain the pool and then pump my tanks back into the pool to get rid of it on waste.

From experience, when rains are solid like that the whole day my garden floods. Water floods out the pool and then all the shit around, soil , grass whatever gets sucked back into the pool when you drain the pool. And the tanks are like a waterfall coming out the top and that just floods that area completely where my Dawgs are. I fitted a French drain last year and it works to drain the area but doesn't stop the flooding. Putting a French drain through a paved area is not fun. It never looks perfect after.
Anyway. I feel I am ontop of it this year. The Hardi Daas will feast on my grass this year if it's not flooded. Those worms just don't like too much water and come out. Then the Hardi Daas spike my lawn for me
LoveOfTheGame

Sards wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:13 pm How are you guys with pools and water tanks coping.

Last week I had to run out in the rain to switch to waste to drain the pool and then pump my tanks back into the pool to get rid of it on waste.

From experience, when rains are solid like that the whole day my garden floods. Water floods out the pool and then all the shit around, soil , grass whatever gets sucked back into the pool when you drain the pool. And the tanks are like a waterfall coming out the top and that just floods that area completely where my Dawgs are. I fitted a French drain last year and it works to drain the area but doesn't stop the flooding. Putting a French drain through a paved area is not fun. It never looks perfect after.
Anyway. I feel I am ontop of it this year. The Hardi Daas will feast on my grass this year if it's not flooded. Those worms just don't like too much water and come out. Then the Hardi Daas spike my lawn for me
Sards.. sorry, but Hardi Daas? :lol: Hadeda?
Sards

LoveOfTheGame wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:29 pm
Sards wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:13 pm How are you guys with pools and water tanks coping.

I was hoping someone would help. It's Kak getting old
OomStruisbaai

Sards I am worried about you. Do you cope well with the cancer?
average joe

LoveOfTheGame wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:29 pm

I just call them fokon kak voels.
Sards

Despite my best efforts my garden has flooded again. Into the pool. Going to be a kak few weeks sorting that out. The rain was something else last night
LoveOfTheGame

Sards wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:31 am Despite my best efforts my garden has flooded again. Into the pool. Going to be a kak few weeks sorting that out. The rain was something else last night
And more on the way this week.