The Official Aotearoa Politics Thread

Where goats go to escape
booji boy

booji checking in just to let you know I'm safe and accounted for. :grin:
Enzedder

Jambanja wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:34 pm
Enzedder wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:08 pm Interestinger and interestinger

Looks like the election this year will be a humdinger - if Hipkins can get some more of his base out of bed it's all on

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politi ... atest-poll

And... we could get rid of the ZB breakfast host
The whole time he was on leave you were hanging out for him to come back so don’t pretend you don’t love his show, even if it’s only so you can sit there and get all indignant about everything he says.
I like his Aussie and Pom journo guests - they seem to be quite intelligent. Otherwise, it's a "know your enemy" recon job.

The one I cannot stand is the ditzy bitch after him - which is a pity as I worked with her dad and he was an awesome guy
I drink and I forget things.
booji boy

Auckman wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:13 am Haven’t been on here in over two years. Good to see Guy Smiley here! I thought you’d retired from the online life.

By the way, whoever up there who brought up the approval rating, Jacinda the Great was still the most popular PM in preferred PM polls all the way to the end. Luxon is a corporate flop.

Chippy has far more pragmatism though so cautious optimism on the labour side of the fence. NatmobZB activists are starting to sound a few alarms re: the recent Hipkins bounce.
Has it really been two years? A bit grim here though isn't it mate. With just 158 posts and 58 posts respectively our words just don't carry the same gravitas they had over at PR. :(
booji boy

Enzedder wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:20 pm
Jambanja wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:34 pm
Enzedder wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:08 pm Interestinger and interestinger

Looks like the election this year will be a humdinger - if Hipkins can get some more of his base out of bed it's all on

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politi ... atest-poll

And... we could get rid of the ZB breakfast host
The whole time he was on leave you were hanging out for him to come back so don’t pretend you don’t love his show, even if it’s only so you can sit there and get all indignant about everything he says.
I like his Aussie and Pom journo guests - they seem to be quite intelligent. Otherwise, it's a "know your enemy" recon job.

The one I cannot stand is the ditzy bitch after him - which is a pity as I worked with her dad and he was an awesome guy
I can't stand her either nor can I stand the other woman from 4pm. She is the worst. :thumbdown:
booji boy

Enzedder wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:14 pm And it looks like he will have another emergency to deal with by Tuesday

This one is looking hairy - the river here in Hamilton is already full so how the hell it will cope with a day of heavy rain has me buggered

Cyclone Gabrielle has intensified into a category 3 severe tropical cyclone and has tracked back slightly west, towards Auckland – but the Coromandel will still be hit the worst, forecasters say.

On Friday, Gabrielle is off the coast of Queensland in the Coral Sea and is moving southeast towards Aotearoa.

It is expected to make landfall early on Tuesday on the eastern side of Northland – but bad weather will start from Sunday, according to experts.

The latest Niwa forecast shows Gabrielle is most likely to track down the eastern side of New Zealand.

MetService Forecaster Aidan Pyselman said while the Coromandel was still likely to be hit the hardest, the latest models showed the cyclone was headed slightly further west, sliding closer to Auckland.

The average wind speeds could be around 90kph, with gusts of around 130-140kph, he said, but it was unclear where the strongest wind would be experienced.

Over the past 24 hours each model has had slight changes, Pyselman said, so the cyclone’s path could change even more before it hits New Zealand.

The Australian Bureau of Meteorology said on Friday morning that Gabrielle’s wind speed was 120kph with wind gusts to 165kph.

The bureau made the call to upgrade Gabrielle into a category 3 storm off data received at 5am Australian eastern time, or 8am NZ time.

A category 3 tropical cyclone, with the upgraded “severe” designation, has an average wind speed of between 119kph and 157kph.

It is moving southeast towards NZ at 31kph.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/w ... 68,-11.658

Gabrielle is not expected to reach category 4 status.

A heavy rain watch is in place for Northland and Auckland from 1am Sunday, with MetService also implementing heavy rain watches for Coromandel and Gisborne later in the day.

Between 200-400mm of rain could fall in Coromandel in the 53 hours from Sunday morning to Tuesday afternoon.
Looks like Northland and the Coromandel are going to get hammered again. Grim stuff. I just hope it is not as severe as the events of the last fortnight.
Snooze

This one does look nasty. Daughter now living in Mangawhai with family. I've told her surfing is a no-go, but she's dumb and 24. Gulp. Stay safe peoples.
Auckman

booji boy wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:22 pm
Auckman wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:13 am Haven’t been on here in over two years. Good to see Guy Smiley here! I thought you’d retired from the online life.

By the way, whoever up there who brought up the approval rating, Jacinda the Great was still the most popular PM in preferred PM polls all the way to the end. Luxon is a corporate flop.

Chippy has far more pragmatism though so cautious optimism on the labour side of the fence. NatmobZB activists are starting to sound a few alarms re: the recent Hipkins bounce.
Has it really been two years? A bit grim here though isn't it mate. With just 158 posts and 58 posts respectively our words just don't carry the same gravitas they had over at PR. :(
:grin: I keep forgetting this place is still going but going it is. Even has the same standing threads as the other place!
booji boy

Auckman wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:35 pm

:grin: I keep forgetting this place is still going but going it is. Even has the same standing threads as the other place!
Yep and a lot of quality posters I'd forgotten. I'd still pop in from time to time to check in on Kiwas Quitting the Bottle thread and check out the War in Ukraine thread. With the better software here you can see and read the Twitter posts without having to click on the link which makes skim reading the subject matter much quicker. :thumbup:
Grandpa

booji boy wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:46 pm
Auckman wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:35 pm

Yep and a lot of quality posters I'd forgotten. I'd still pop in from time to time to check in on Kiwas Quitting the Bottle thread and check out the War in Ukraine thread. With the better software here you can see and read the Twitter posts without having to click on the link which makes skim reading the subject matter much quicker. :thumbup:
Exactly what I do. Much easier to decide quickly if worth reading or watching.

A shame PR has such ancient software. Maybe Jake was trying to update it today and the 1995 software said "no".
Monkey Magic

Went to do the weekly supermarket shop, jeez it doesn't take much to get people to turn feral.

All bread gone, carpark aggro high. I mean it is auckland, but still.

Have the tramp securely fastened, rest of the outdoor furniture I'd be happy to donate to someone roof so that's sorted.

Fingers crossed for the communities in corromandel and not too many get cut off
booji boy

Monkey Magic wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:13 am Went to do the weekly supermarket shop, jeez it doesn't take much to get people to turn feral.

Have the tramp securely fastened, rest of the outdoor furniture I'd be happy to donate to someone roof so that's sorted.

My wife was just saying the opposite here in Toe-Pour. Supermarket pretty quiet and all normal goods available. But I guess Aucklanders are spooked by the events of a fortnight ago whereas we got off lightly. Fingers crossed for you guys. 🤞
Enzedder

My priority is securing the rubbish bins. It took a month to get a replacement (which I had to pay for but they sent 2 replacements) after my previous one went awol so I don't want to wait again. If they go now, I think I'm fucked anyway
Gumboot

booji boy wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:53 am
Monkey Magic wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:13 am Went to do the weekly supermarket shop, jeez it doesn't take much to get people to turn feral.

My wife was just saying the opposite here in Toe-Pour. Supermarket pretty quiet and all normal goods available. But I guess Aucklanders are spooked by the events of a fortnight ago whereas we got off lightly. Fingers crossed for you guys. 🤞
Yep, all the best to those in harm's way.
Fat Old Git

I've decided to add a cyclone to my list a disastrous events to experience. Currently in Piahia enjoying the calm before the storm.

Also, haven't visited this site in ages. Had issues trying to login last time, but straight in this time. Thought I'd give it another go given PR seems to have shat itself.
booji boy

Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:24 am I've decided to add a cyclone to my list a disastrous events to experience. Currently in Piahia enjoying the calm before the storm.

Also, haven't visited this site in ages. Had issues trying to login last time, but straight in this time. Thought I'd give it another go given PR seems to have shat itself.
Welcome aboard the life raft. :grin: :thumbup:

But if you're in Paihia batten down the hatches. Hope you ride out the storm Ok. :eek:
Grandpa

Good surf at Murawai and Raglan?
Fat Old Git

booji boy wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:17 am
Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:24 am I've decided to add a cyclone to my list a disastrous events to experience. Currently in Piahia enjoying the calm before the storm.

But if you're in Paihia batten down the hatches. Hope you ride out the storm Ok. :eek:
Thanks. Still the calm before the storm at the moment. We have emergency supplies to see us through. Wine, cheese, some local craft beer...
Kiwias

booji boy wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:17 am

FOG

Glad to see you come to your senses and visit here — far calmer discussions with generally less outright loonies, who seem happy to stay seconced over there.
Fat Old Git

Cheers. I would have been here sooner but for some technical issues. I would occasionally look in, but had difficulty logging in for some reason. Maybe not related, but I have a new phone and all sorts of things that weren't working now are.
Guy Smiley

Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:42 pm Cheers. I would have been here sooner but for some technical issues. I would occasionally look in, but had difficulty logging in for some reason. Maybe not related, but I have a new phone and all sorts of things that weren't working now are.
A few of us had some issues with logging in or being logged out going on a while back, which seems to have sorted itself out.

ASMO has a good set up with this site and the vibe is a lot calmer and more reasonable than PR. Good to see you here :thumbup:

(Paihia is one of my favourite spots)
Fat Old Git

Cheers guy. I'm particularly impressed by not having to click on the twitter links to see if they are worth the trouble.

And it's nice to see discussions that aren't getting derailed by obvious trolls and loons.

Rain has arrived in Piahia. Heavy by Christchurch standards, but not ridiculous yet. And the wind is still relatively light. Our accommodation looks north so our view and deck is sheltered from it. So we have a good view. Until the hillside slips and we end up in the sea anyway....
Guy Smiley

It's starting to pelt down here outside Katikati.

I've been working the last few days and really should head to the shops. I might buy a gas cooker while I'm out....
Fat Old Git

Probably a good idea. You guys are forcast to get it worse than Northland I believe.

We have emergency supplies just in case. Wine and cheese counts right?
Gordon Bennett

Good luck to all our Northerners for the next few days. MetService has tomorrow afternoon being atrocious (100mm of rain across 6 hours). Stay safe!
Jambanja

Hasn’t made it down to the Mount yet, overcast and a little windy but ok so far, lots of things have been canceled in preparation and I understand the need to do so early, but it seems premature right now.
The wife and daughter are supposed to be flying to Wellington and we’re still not 100% sure whether the flight has been canceled or not, some mixed communication coming from Air NZ and some press outlets.
Fat Old Git

Getting some power fluctuations here. Losing power for a few seconds at a time. Odd.
Guy Smiley

Crikey....

Mikaere

Good luck gentlemen.
Fat Old Git

That is quite something.

Russel had disappeared from across the bay, but is back now. Ive worked out I can lessen the intensity of the wind and rain by stepping out onto the deck to video it...
booji boy

Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:25 pm Getting some power fluctuations here. Losing power for a few seconds at a time. Odd.
Are your mobile devices fully charged. Might want to make sure of that in case there is a prolonged power cut. I've learned from experience that your mobile device is the only connection with the outside world during a prolonged power cut and it's not great when you only have 27% charge. :wtf:
booji boy

Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:07 pm Probably a good idea. You guys are forcast to get it worse than Northland I believe.

Only the essentials huh? :grin:
Fat Old Git

booji boy wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:21 pm
Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:07 pm Probably a good idea. You guys are forcast to get it worse than Northland I believe.

We also have chocolate. And some local Phathouse craft beer... (and bread, salami, chips, fruit, bottled water and some canned food.)

Phones are living on the chargers when not in use.
booji boy

Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:30 pm
booji boy wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:21 pm

We also have chocolate. And some local Phathouse craft beer... (and bread, salami, chips, fruit, bottled water and some canned food.)

Phones are living on the chargers when not in use.
Good work. :thumbup:
Jb1981

Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:11 pm That is quite something.

Russel had disappeared from across the bay, but is back now. Ive worked out I can lessen the intensity of the wind and rain by stepping out onto the deck to video it...
A godlike power.
Ted.

By the way, whoever up there who brought up the approval rating, Jacinda the Great was still the most popular PM in preferred PM polls all the way to the end. Luxon is a corporate fop.

I think fop is apt. Can we run with floppy fop?
booji boy

By the way, whoever up there who brought up the approval rating, Jacinda the Great was still the most popular PM in preferred PM polls all the way to the end. Luxon is a corporate fop.

Chippy rushes in where Jacinda feared to tread ...

Listening to Chippy on the Mike Hoskings radio show this morning. I wondered if he would want to have a slot on New Zealand's leading radio show in an election year after Jacinda dumped it in the too hard basket .
Enzedder

Hosking cannot be such a misogynist to a male. I still laugh when he called Key "mate" during one of their love-ins - biased is his middle name.
Jambanja

Enzedder wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:27 pm Hosking cannot be such a misogynist to a male. I still laugh when he called Key "mate" during one of their love-ins - biased is his middle name.
He's still relentless in his questioning though, now I never heard any of his interviews with Jacinda, I only started listening post her refusal to go on his show (actually it was you going on about him that made me start listening) but did he actually say misogynistic things to her or did he just berate her like he does with everyone?
Muttonbird

booji boy wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:48 pm

Chippy rushes in where Jacinda feared to tread ...

Listening to Chippy on the Mike Hoskings radio show this morning. I wondered if he would want to have a slot on New Zealand's leading radio show in an election year after Jacinda dumped it in the too hard basket .
I happened to be listening the morning of Hipkins' first appearance. It took about 7.5s for My Cockskin to interrupt after the first question.
Muttonbird

Jambanja wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:01 pm
Enzedder wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:27 pm Hosking cannot be such a misogynist to a male. I still laugh when he called Key "mate" during one of their love-ins - biased is his middle name.
He's still relentless in his questioning though, now I never heard any of his interviews with Jacinda, I only started listening post her refusal to go on his show (actually it was you going on about him that made me start listening) but did he actually say misogynistic things to her or did he just berate her like he does with everyone?
He never berated Jong Khee.