The Official NPR Golf Thread

Where goats go to escape
fishfoodie

At least until I can find another one.....

Just watching he BMW Championship, from Olympia Fields; why the hell can't the PGA tour turn out courses like this the rest of the year ?

Four players in the red on day two; sensible rough, not crazy, nor, tricked out greens; & even the big guns are being kept in check.

Looks like it could be a bloody excellent weekend.
dpedin

Agree entirely - stops the big guys trying to bomb it off the tee and then get out of easy rough. If they want to stop the ball on those greens they need to be playing off fairways. Far more enjoyable watching this than the target golf on long flat courses with big flat greens and no rough. Sorts out the real golfers.
TB63

I remember watching some US players using the Ashburnham course in Pembrey as a warm up some years ago. True links course, narrow fairways, 8 inches of semi rough, waist high grass, as soon as your ball clears the top of the dunes, it'll go sideways.. To say they struggled would be an understatement..

The old boys, Friday afternoon stroll with copious amounts of gin half way round, playing off 4 or 5 hammered them!..😂
Zig

What handicaps do you guys play off?

I started playing golf last year. I'm improving fast but I haven't got under 100 yet.
TB63

I need a 100 handicap!..😭
Zig

100 handicap would be great but I think max is 54, then again I played at a course last week where their max was 28. :sad:

I don't really get how it's worked out yet.
Blackmac

I have been as low as four but I probably play about 14 now just due to lack of playing. I play in a charity golf tournament every year in Tain where we play two of Tain, Brora, Dornoch. I haven't played since last years tournament due to Covid and a hand injury and this year we are playing Brora and Dornoch in October. It should be horrible!!
Un Pilier

Blackmac wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:27 am I have been as low as four but I probably play about 14 now just due to lack of playing. I play in a charity golf tournament every year in Tain where we play two of Tain, Brora, Dornoch. I haven't played since last years tournament due to Covid and a hand injury and this year we are playing Brora and Dornoch in October. It should be horrible!!
Two stunning golf courses! I haven’t played Brora but any sort of wind over those two will really test your metal. I’m so envious :sick:

I used to play off around 15 but my back can’t manage a proper golf course now. I’ve been lucky enough to play a lot of golf round the world so don’t whinge but I really miss it.
dpedin

Currently 14 but was down to 12 a couple of years ago before a knee problem.

Dornoch probably one of the hardest back 9s in golf - played it into the wind and it just killed me. Played Roxburgh at the weekend and was mighty impressed. Bit of a pain getting there from Embra with the A68 shut at Fala.
Un Pilier

dpedin wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:55 pm Currently 14 but was down to 12 a couple of years ago before a knee problem.

Dornoch probably one of the hardest back 9s in golf - played it into the wind and it just killed me. Played Roxburgh at the weekend and was mighty impressed. Bit of a pain getting there from Embra with the A68 shut at Fala.
Is Roxburgh the course bordered by the River Tweed? If so I played it a few years ago and enjoyed it.
booji boy

I'm currently off 11 but the new handicapping system means that can change quickly. All the poor rounds get ignored but the good ones make an instant difference.
booji boy

Zig wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:56 am What handicaps do you guys play off?

I started playing golf last year. I'm improving fast but I haven't got under 100 yet.
Where are you losing most shots? Off the tee, approach shots or around the green?
Monkey Magic

booji boy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:58 am

Where are you losing most shots? Off the tee, approach shots or around the green?
I started playing last year but have only played maybe 10 times this year, every time I get into a rhythm there's a lockdown.

Its always exciting the language you come up with when you hit 6 shots within 100m of the pin.
booji boy

Monkey Magic wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:05 am

I started playing last year but have only played maybe 10 times this year, every time I get into a rhythm there's a lockdown.

Its always exciting the language you come up with when you hit 6 shots within 100m of the pin.
:lol: Yep.

It's a funny old game. I had a shocker on Friday, couldn't do a thing right and shot 101! :shock:

Very next day shot 82, was draining putts from everywhere.
Zig

It's all over the place. Some days my driving is great but my approach shots or putting will be awful and the next day I'll be losing balls off the tee but chipping in from off the green.

I need to spend some time at the driving range and get some lessons.

I wish I'd taken up golf a lot earlier.
dpedin

Un Pilier wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:40 am
dpedin wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:55 pm Currently 14 but was down to 12 a couple of years ago before a knee problem.

Is Roxburgh the course bordered by the River Tweed? If so I played it a few years ago and enjoyed it.
Yeh - thats the one. It is a beautiful course with some really nice views and peace and quiet. Greens and bunkers complexes were really interesting. Im going to go back as it would be interesting to play again now I know the lie of the land, lots of blind tee shots and blind shots into greens. The 17th for example is a shortish par 4 but the green is hidden from view and there is a big gully just in front of it, I misjudged my approach and ended up short but would take extra club next time round. The course is doing some good deals at the moment.
dpedin

Un Pilier wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:40 am

Yeh - thats the one. It is a beautiful course with some really nice views and peace and quiet. Greens and bunkers complexes were really interesting. Im going to go back as it would be interesting to play again now I know the lie of the land, lots of blind tee shots and blind shots into greens. The 17th for example is a shortish par 4 but the green is hidden from view and there is a big gully just in front of it, I misjudged my approach and ended up short but would take extra club next time round. The course is doing some good deals at the moment.
Northern Lights

It was news to me but it appears that Max Evans is a pga pro. He’s also seriously ripped these days
Blackmac

Un Pilier wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:53 am
Blackmac wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:27 am I have been as low as four but I probably play about 14 now just due to lack of playing. I play in a charity golf tournament every year in Tain where we play two of Tain, Brora, Dornoch. I haven't played since last years tournament due to Covid and a hand injury and this year we are playing Brora and Dornoch in October. It should be horrible!!
Two stunning golf courses! I haven’t played Brora but any sort of wind over those two will really test your metal. I’m so envious :sick:

I used to play off around 15 but my back can’t manage a proper golf course now. I’ve been lucky enough to play a lot of golf round the world so don’t whinge but I really miss it.

Brora is probably one of the best true links courses you will ever play. Only about 6300 yards, but a stunning course. Straight out and in with 4 of the best par 3's you will ever see and the condition is amazing. The 18th must be the hardest finishing hole in golf. 240 yards uphill par 3 with a huge swale in front of the green. Anything not carrying into the middle of the green is destined to roll about 50 yards back down the hill.
Gareth1960

TB63 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:25 am I remember watching some US players using the Ashburnham course in Pembrey as a warm up some years ago. True links course, narrow fairways, 8 inches of semi rough, waist high grass, as soon as your ball clears the top of the dunes, it'll go sideways.. To say they struggled would be an understatement..

The old boys, Friday afternoon stroll with copious amounts of gin half way round, playing off 4 or 5 hammered them!..😂

My Uncle David used to be the secretary at Ashburnham.
The ladies play for the Sinclair cup that my late aunty June donated.
Ive never played it but would love to someday
TB63

Need to make the effort, really is a beautiful course to play. Wind changes with the tide coming in. Also Machynys is a good challenge, plays like an inland course on the front nine and a links on the back..
dpedin

Just back from a wee golf trip. 36 holes at Silloth followed by 36 at Brampton, just outside Carlisle, I am now absolutely fecked. Silloth is one of these hidden gems, miles from anywhere, the town is a tip but the course is a beauty. Difficult links course with some serious holes on it and dirt cheap - £60 a day ticket during the week. It would be a lot more if it was anywhere close to civilisation. Brampton is a James Braid course, very nice rolling parkland course with a very interesting layout and almost as good value as Silloth at £70 a day ticket. Played ok but weather was breezy and wet at times. Both courses in excellent condition. Accommodation in Silloth is pretty poor but we stay at String of Horses just a few miles from Brampton and I would recommend it. Nice trip.
JPNZ

It will come lower with more playing. Golf is such a practice driven game imo

I play off 18 at the moment but I've only played six times in the last 2 years and consistently play low 90's. I would LOVE to play more often but most of my spare time is taken up by mountain biking and cycling. One of my best mates used to work for Taylor Made so got custom fitted for a full set of M2 Irons and M1 driver/woods 3-4 years ago. Absolutely worth every penny from a game improvement point of view.
Dan54

I half thought I would try and get lessons a few years ago, I was hacking around only really playing 9 holes with some mates on a Friday , but went to one lesson and realised the game is not important enough for me to have them. I still wander out every week or so and knock around about 9 holes walking and talking rugby etc, generally takes about 60 shots, and I decided that will be me, I too bloody old to learn and don't have the desire to play 18 holes anyway. I can understand people really get into the game, but I more than happy to know it a walk for me. If you want to improve don't think generally you would do it just playing once a week, mates that go alright seem to play an awful lot.
Northern Lights

So as we have now introduced the new handicapping system my handicap has actually come down :wtf:

Anyone else had any moves with the new system?
Lenny

Northern Lights wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:33 pm So as we have now introduced the new handicapping system my handicap has actually come down :wtf:

Anyone else had any moves with the new system?
Checked mine last night and have lost a shot, having just got one back under the old system. Of the guys I’ve heard from, two have lost a shot each, one has gained one, and another guy is unchanged. Also heard of a guy in the club who went from 2.5 to 0.4, effectively losing three shots. :shock:
dpedin

My handicap has stayed the same under the new regs.
dpedin

Does anyone know where to find an accurate and up to date list of slope ratings for courses in UK?
Openside

I don’t think there is a list as such but there is a site where you can put in the course name and it gives details for all the different tee options.
Blackmac

Where does everyone stand in the great hoody debate.

I've got no great objection other than they seem to be a case of reinventing the wheel. If your head is cold put on a hat. They seem to be a marketing ploy aimed a impreshionable fools, one of whom was my mate who found that the edge of the hoody coming into his vision every time he swung was a huge distraction.
Openside

Blackmac wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:57 am Where does everyone stand in the great hoody debate.

I've got no great objection other than they seem to be a case of reinventing the wheel. If your head is cold put on a hat. They seem to be a marketing ploy aimed a impreshionable fools, one of whom was my mate who found that the edge of the hoody coming into his vision every time he swung was a huge distraction.
If people want to wear hoodies let them. FFS they used to insist you played in Jacket and tie :wtf:

I can't wear a hat as my head get too hot, I wouldn't wear a hoodie either. I appreciate that I am not in Scotland but the most clothing I EVER wear is shorts a T-Shirt and an under armour cold vest.
Northern Lights

Blackmac wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:57 am Where does everyone stand in the great hoody debate.

Didn’t realise it was an a debate!

Ban them, next it will acceptable to play in jeans!
Openside

Northern Lights wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:27 pm

ultimately would it really matter?
Northern Lights

Openside wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:33 pm

Yes, standards matter old chap. The country is going to wrack and ruin as it is, we need to preserve a last bastion of decency.
Openside

Northern Lights wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:47 am

Yes, standards matter old chap. The country is going to wrack and ruin as it is, we need to preserve a last bastion of decency.
so you are playing in a jacket and tie to maintain standards?? :problem:
dpedin

Openside wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:02 pm

Hoodies should not be allowed but requiring long socks with shorts is another matter .....
Northern Lights

Jacket and tie for dining.

Not a huge fan of shorts either if truth be told unless in the colonies.
Openside

Northern Lights wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:02 pm

Jacket and tie for dining.

Not a huge fan of shorts either if truth be told unless in the colonies.
with your legs thats hardly a surprise :wink: :lol:
Openside

dpedin wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:16 pm

Hoodies should not be allowed but requiring long socks with shorts is another matter .....
I can only think of three courses that demand it.
Woddy

Openside wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:23 pm
dpedin wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:16 pm

I can only think of three courses that demand it.
RSG, Deal and ??? Even the stuffiest of the 3 Ws allows short white socks now...