The Official NPR Golf Thread

Where goats go to escape
Blackmac

Johnson now claiming the US camp is suffering from mystery illness with a number having congestion problems .
fishfoodie

Blackmac wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:31 pm Johnson now claiming the US camp is suffering from mystery illness with a number having congestion problems .
I think insulting Italian food like that is grounds for execution.

..... especially from fucking Americans !
Biffer

If the Americans were relying on a good start this morning, it hasn't happened 😳😂
Last edited by Biffer on Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Insane_Homer

spieth is nowhere.
3 down after 3 in the top game already.
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Biffer

Europe have won the first five holes in the top two games, all with pars.
Biffer

The Americans are an absolute mess out here.
Big D

Insane_Homer wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:21 am spieth is nowhere.
Was ridiculous to put Spieth out in foursomes.
Blackmac

Speith and Thomas are 5 over through 8 holes.
Blackmac

If this carries on my Sunday plans are going to be completely ruined.
Big D

It shouldn't be lost that Europe are playing good foursomes golf this morning.

With gimmes, the top game are three under, Hovland and Åberg are four under. Rahm and Hatton are two under too.
Biffer

Big D wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:44 am
Yeah, and Wyndham Clark is right there. US Open Champion, 3rd in the tour championship. Played one match out of three.
Blackmac

Biffer wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:49 am
Yeah, and Wyndham Clark is right there. US Open Champion, 3rd in the tour championship. Played one match out of three.
And pretty solid yesterday. I wonder if Johnson is being overly influenced by the big names. He doesn't come across as the biggest of characters.
Radar pointed out an odd thing yesterday, how Europe always have a pretty fresh selection of vice captains to get new ideas but the US just role out the same old faces, couples etc every year.
Biffer

Outrageous drive from McIlroy.
Blackmac

Dormie 8 down for Brookes. 😂😂
Biffer

Hovland and Åberg dormie 8 🤪

Against the World number 1 and the ‘alpha male’.
Blackmac

I take it Brookes is out of the running for the Nicklaus/Jacklin award. 😂
Big D

Blackmac wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:57 am

And pretty solid yesterday. I wonder if Johnson is being overly influenced by the big names. He doesn't come across as the biggest of characters.
Radar pointed out an odd thing yesterday, how Europe always have a pretty fresh selection of vice captains to get new ideas but the US just role out the same old faces, couples etc every year.
Was reading a Dan Rapaport article on his pal Fitzpatrick. We know Fitzpatrick records every shot but E Molinari has built a model that allows him to plug in how long/short and wide he was from his target giving him the most accurate stats for any player.

Apparently Molinari does stats using his models for a lot of the players.
Blackmac

Brookes and Koepka finishing up like mid handicappers and with zero dignity.
Biffer

9&7 fucking hell, that’s a whole big can of whoopass.

Biggest loss ever in a Ryder cup.

Hovland and Åberg six under through 11. Scheffler and Koepka seven over.
Last edited by Biffer on Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackmac

Big D wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:08 am

Was reading a Dan Rapaport article on his pal Fitzpatrick. We know Fitzpatrick records every shot but E Molinari has built a model that allows him to plug in how long/short and wide he was from his target giving him the most accurate stats for any player.

Yeah I read that and that's why he was called in and those stats have had a big influence on how the course is set up. It's like pros verses amateurs in respect of the preparation and the US arrogance is astonishing. Surprised to hear some of the pre match comments from the yanks, bordering on disrespectful.
Biffer

Blackmac wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:17 am
Big D wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:08 am

Yeah I read that and that's why he was called in and those stats have had a big influence on how the course is set up. It's like pros verses amateurs in respect of the preparation and the US arrogance is astonishing. Surprised to hear some of the pre match comments from the yanks, bordering on disrespectful.
Also apparently those stats have had a significant influence on some of Donald’s pairings as well.
Blackmac

Europe need to close out those two matches or that 9&7 counts for little in the overall match
Insane_Homer

Both teams are practically wearing the same shirts
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Blackmac

Interesting story emerging about a big fracture in the American camp led by Cantlay. He's still pissed off they aren't getting paid and is supported by a number of others, not surprisingly Koepka being one. Cantlay is refusing to wear the USA cap in protest. Speith and Thomas furious about it.
fishfoodie

Ordinarily Europe would be looking at the lead, & then the US lineup, & saying how it's never enough when you go into the singles.

This year not so much I think.
Blackmac

I think Ali's choice would have described this as "prison style"
Big D

With Rahm, I also wonder if there is any impact on his mobility from club foot when wee that meant 5 sessions would hard on him.

World numbers 1 and 3 sitting out this afternoon. Wild.

7-1 in foursomes with no match going to 18 is a roasting.

Hovland and Åberg has only played something like 70 of 90 holes they collectively should have so should be fresh.
Punter15

Blackmac wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:36 am Interesting story emerging about a big fracture in the American camp led by Cantlay. He's still pissed off they aren't getting paid and is supported by a number of others, not surprisingly Koepka being one. Cantlay is refusing to wear the USA cap in protest. Speith and Thomas furious about it.
Whereas I wouldn’t be surprised if the European guys would be prepared to pay to be a part of it.
weegie01

Punter15 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:07 am
Blackmac wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:36 am Interesting story emerging about a big fracture in the American camp led by Cantlay. He's still pissed off they aren't getting paid and is supported by a number of others, not surprisingly Koepka being one. Cantlay is refusing to wear the USA cap in protest. Speith and Thomas furious about it.
Whereas I wouldn’t be surprised if the European guys would be prepared to pay to be a part of it.
I am sure it was Mcilroy who made a comment along the lines that they all make more than enough money, and the Ryder Cup lets them play for pride.

He made similar comments about the amount of money they already make vis-a-vis LIV.

Clearly there are many US players that share that view, but I think the payment issue has come up before.
Last edited by weegie01 on Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big D

weegie01 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:14 am
I am it was Mcilroy who made a comment along the lines that they all make more than enough money, and the Ryder Cup lets them play for pride.

He made similar comments about the amount of money they already make vis-a-vis LIV.

Clearly there are many US players that share that view, but I think the payment issue has come up before.
They get paid to play in the Presidents Cup so not surprised it has popped up here.
fishfoodie

I am it was Mcilroy who made a comment along the lines that they all make more than enough money, and the Ryder Cup lets them play for pride.

If it gets confirmed, it'll be interesting to see the reception these players get when they are back on tour.

The Yanks might let a lot of things slide, but being that unpatriotic is something that a lot of their fans won't forgive, or forget, especially when it looks like it'll result in them getting humiliated.
Blackmac

fishfoodie wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:24 am

If it gets confirmed, it'll be interesting to see the reception these players get when they are back on tour.

The Yanks might let a lot of things slide, but being that unpatriotic is something that a lot of their fans won't forgive, or forget, especially when it looks like it'll result in them getting humiliated.
Cantlay has been going on about this for a few years. By all accounts extremely money orientated. He is on a lot of the players committee and not only has he been close to moving to LIV he is well involved in the moves to amalgamate. Not a popular figure among his peers.
Blackmac

Sam Burns plays three good holes and he immediately starts being a cock.
Insane_Homer

Blackmac wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:03 pm Sam Burns plays three good holes and he immediately starts being a cock.
Very much this.
Biffer

Lone voice shouting ‘Hats Off’ after Cantlay drove just there 😂😂
Blackmac

Biffer wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:40 pm
Lone voice shouting ‘Hats Off’ after Cantlay drove just there 😂😂
Apparently the story is not that he wanted paid directly but wanted to wear his sponsors hat. When told no he claimed the USA hats didn't fit. When still told no, he decided not to wear anything.
Blackmac

Incredible footage of Rory as they are leaving the clubhouse. He is totally losing his shit, apparently at Cantley's caddy and having to get pulled away by Lowry and Bones McKay.
Big D

Blackmac wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:11 pm Incredible footage of Rory as they are leaving the clubhouse. He is totally losing his shit, apparently at Cantley's caddy and having to get pulled away by Lowry and Bones McKay.
LaCava was way out of line. McIlroy asked him to move and they started jawing. He then went to line up his putt and LaCava went back at him again.
Sandstorm

Fucking kids and cunts the lot of ‘em this weekend. Just throw them all off the top of Coliseum please.
Blackmac

Big D wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:24 pm
Blackmac wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:11 pm Incredible footage of Rory as they are leaving the clubhouse. He is totally losing his shit, apparently at Cantley's caddy and having to get pulled away by Lowry and Bones McKay.
LaCava was way out of line. McIlroy asked him to move and they started jawing. He then went to line up his putt and LaCava went back at him again.
They got footage of what upset Rory now. The caddie is completely out of order, he walks up to Rory waving his hat and shouting in his face. Rory tells him to bugger off and he walks closer, still doing it. He then walks away slowly and he is clearly effing and blinding at the European team who are giving him stick. Needs to be disqualified from caddying in the last round. No way they should be getting involved like that.