The Official NPR Golf Thread

Where goats go to escape
Biffer

Blackmac wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:37 pm
Big D wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:24 pm
Blackmac wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:11 pm Incredible footage of Rory as they are leaving the clubhouse. He is totally losing his shit, apparently at Cantley's caddy and having to get pulled away by Lowry and Bones McKay.
LaCava was way out of line. McIlroy asked him to move and they started jawing. He then went to line up his putt and LaCava went back at him again.
They got footage of what upset Rory now. The caddie is completely out of order, he walks up to Rory waving his hat and shouting in his face. Rory tells him to bugger off and he walks closer, still doing it. He then walks away slowly and he is clearly effing and blinding at the European team who are giving him stick. Needs to be disqualified from caddying in the last round. No way they should be getting involved like that.
Also shouting at McIlroy when he’s trying to line his putt up. Unprofessional in the extreme - every professional caddy will be looking at that with a WTF? Cantlay needs to step up and apologise, he’s his employee.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
fishfoodie

Blackmac wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:11 pm Incredible footage of Rory as they are leaving the clubhouse. He is totally losing his shit, apparently at Cantley's caddy and having to get pulled away by Lowry and Bones McKay.
LaCava was way out of line. McIlroy asked him to move and they started jawing. He then went to line up his putt and LaCava went back at him again.
They got footage of what upset Rory now. The caddie is completely out of order, he walks up to Rory waving his hat and shouting in his face. Rory tells him to bugger off and he walks closer, still doing it. He then walks away slowly and he is clearly effing and blinding at the European team who are giving him stick. Needs to be disqualified from caddying in the last round. No way they should be getting involved like that.
Damn straight !

No bullshit apology, it was appalling behaviour, & would have gotten a fan bounced out of the event.

[Edit]

And from the Beeb

"McIlroy was annoyed that Joe LaCava had trampled on the line of his putt while celebrating Cantlay's 30-foot birdie putt and the row spilled over behind the scenes."
Paddington Bear

McIlroy is right to be pissed off with that
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Blackmac

fishfoodie wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:47 pm

Damn straight !

No bullshit apology, it was appalling behaviour, & would have gotten a fan bounced out of the event.

[Edit]

And from the Beeb

"McIlroy was annoyed that Joe LaCava had trampled on the line of his putt while celebrating Cantlay's 30-foot birdie putt and the row spilled over behind the scenes."
Plus I reckon his presence will be extremely inflammatory. The fans will give him so much shit it could ruin that match.
Big D

https://x.com/shanebacon/status/1708182 ... 80817?s=20

Definitely didn't trample the line. Not good though.

Shouldn't kick him out. It will just fire the yanks up more.
fishfoodie

Big D wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:38 pm https://x.com/shanebacon/status/1708182 ... 80817?s=20

That video only shows the bit after he was celebrating his dickhead players putt, which is when the Beeb says he was on the line of the putt
Blackmac

Big D wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:38 pm https://x.com/shanebacon/status/1708182 ... 80817?s=20

I think it will be terrible for the future of the cup if they don't make an example of him. The European fans will be all over it tomorrow and it could get very unsporting. The yanks will step it up in spades in two years and it will just deteriorate from there if they don't do something about it. Easily the worst flashpoint I have seen in decades of Ryder Cup watching,
fishfoodie

Blackmac wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:06 pm

I think it will be terrible for the future of the cup if they don't make an example of him. The European fans will be all over it tomorrow and it could get very unsporting. The yanks will step it up in spades in two years and it will just deteriorate from there if they don't do something about it. Easily the worst flashpoint I have seen in decades of Ryder Cup watching,
Yeah. The tours (really only the PGA), need to understand the cost of killing the golden goose, & start to take steps to prevent this happening.

For a starter they need to introduce a penalty of Unsportsmanlike conduct, with the potential to lose match points.

There's SFA they can do about the fans acting like dickheads, except making the course eject the drunken dickheads; but they can, & need to stop the players & caddies bringing the whole event into disrepute
fishfoodie

Watching the US Golf Channel coverage now, with McGinley making a few points from the EU side, but he isn't having to do much, because the commentators are already going thru Cuntley, & LaCava for a short cut,

When they think your acting like a mercenary, you're in big trouble
Blackmac

fishfoodie wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:08 pm Watching the US Golf Channel coverage now, with McGinley making a few points from the EU side, but he isn't having to do much, because the commentators are already going thru Cuntley, & LaCava for a short cut,

When they think your acting like a mercenary, you're in big trouble
Although Azinger, being his usual snide self is virtually blaming Rory for overreacting.

It's funny when you look at what Radar said about the American vice captains. It's always the same old players, Love, Couples, Furyk, Stricker. Guys that spent decades having their arses handed to them in the Ryder Cup. You wonder what they bring to it.
Paddington Bear

fishfoodie wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:01 pm

Yeah. The tours (really only the PGA), need to understand the cost of killing the golden goose, & start to take steps to prevent this happening.

For a starter they need to introduce a penalty of Unsportsmanlike conduct, with the potential to lose match points.

There's SFA they can do about the fans acting like dickheads, except making the course eject the drunken dickheads; but they can, & need to stop the players & caddies bringing the whole event into disrepute
Devil’s advocate - doesn’t how the Ryder Cup generally pans out show it is a golden goose for the European Tour and a nice to have for the US?
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Blackmac

Paddington Bear wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:38 am

Devil’s advocate - doesn’t how the Ryder Cup generally pans out show it is a golden goose for the European Tour and a nice to have for the US?
That's changed a good bit over the last few years as the yanks have become more competitive again.
Paddington Bear

Blackmac wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:12 am

That's changed a good bit over the last few years as the yanks have become more competitive again.
Whilst true I think there’s a Lions tour kind of relationship at play here. The European Tour is barely viable without this, the Americans could carry on
Blackmac

Morikawa not wearing a hat. Really. What a knob. Hopefully he gets sunstroke.
Big D

No. Most of the money finds its way to grass roots and various non contributory pensions for players in the US. One might think players don't need pensions but the vast majority will.
Last edited by Big D on Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big D

https://x.com/BobHarig/status/1708415627860291635?s=20

Right thing to do. Sometimes emotions boil over in sport.
Big D

Good start by the Euro big guns.
fishfoodie

McGinley is spot on with the attitude & body language of the European players. I think I'd call it, steely resolve.
Blackmac

I really can't understand what guys like Thomas get out of deliberately provoking the crowd. Totally unnecessary and whilst I've seen Europeans celebrate I've never seen then make provocative gestures. Thomas always comes across as a sensible lad as well.
Torquemada 1420

Well, it's a good job the Yanks are sh*te at playing as a team.
Insane_Homer

Tommy cracks the drive of the day at 16 to win it

Tighter than it should have been in the end

Radio 5 live commentary this morning jinxed it by stating Europe were going for the record points win
Last edited by Insane_Homer on Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Paddington Bear

Never in doubt
Big D

Get in!
Blackmac

Looked really shaky about 90 minutes ago but what a turnaround. Personally as a Scot i'm delighted for Bob McIntyre because even though he was one of the 6 who qualified by right he was the one that came under the greatest scrutiny. Now unbeaten in his first Ryder Cup.
Big D

Fed up with the coverage so looked at the scoring through the holes they played. By my count (and with gimmes):
Rahm -4
Hovland -6
Rose -4
McIlroy -8
Fitzpatrick -1 plus one no score
Åberg -1
Straka -3
Hojgaard -1
Lowry -6
Fleetwood -6
Bob -2 with a concession on 16 with him front edge of green from the tee.

Scores obviously don't matter but indicative of some pretty high level golf.
Biffer

Reckon Thomas Bjorn has had a few this afternoon 😂😂
Biffer

The yanks took it worse than we thought

dpedin

New clubs bought ... although I will have to now sell my daughter!

Taylormade P790s with Recoil Dart F3 shafts. I got fitted 1 degree upright and 1 degree stronger lofts. Bought 5 to gap wedge. Tried them out twice and they are very forgiving and very straight but not too much longer than my previous irons, however real flight is better, not as high and less chance of ballooning the ball. Hit an 81, against par 70, on first round with them which was very pleasing. I now have all winter to try and get used to them for next season.
weegie01

I see Lexi Thompson did OK in the PGA event in Las Vegas. Missed the cut by three and was even par, but finished ahead of a good number of men.

What amazes me, as an older chap, is how far the women and the kids are hitting the ball. Thompson drove a par 4, and I watched the Junior Ryder Cup and could not believe the distance wee slips of lassies were hitting the ball, let alone the boys.

I recall reading a comparison between clubs form the 1980s and modern clubs. Every one of the modern clubs sent the ball further by the 30 to 40 m range, and were more acccurate and gave greater distance with more stopping power on top.

I actually have a note of the distances I was hitting when I was in my 20s in the mid 70s when I was a 7 handicap. Despite being nearly 70 and barely having played in 20 years, I get more distance with my sons' clubs now (when I don't duff it completely).
dpedin

weegie01 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:12 pm I see Lexi Thompson did OK in the PGA event in Las Vegas. Missed the cut by three and was even par, but finished ahead of a good number of men.

What amazes me, as an older chap, is how far the women and the kids are hitting the ball. Thompson drove a par 4, and I watched the Junior Ryder Cup and could not believe the distance wee slips of lassies were hitting the ball, let alone the boys.

I recall reading a comparison between clubs form the 1980s and modern clubs. Every one of the modern clubs sent the ball further by the 30 to 40 m range, and were more acccurate and gave greater distance with more stopping power on top.

I actually have a note of the distances I was hitting when I was in my 20s in the mid 70s when I was a 7 handicap. Despite being nearly 70 and barely having played in 20 years, I get more distance with my sons' clubs now (when I don't duff it completely).
Agreed - the distances they hit the ball now is just incredible. I bought a new driver at start of season and it certainly is longer by 15-20'ish yards and straighter than my previous 7 year old driver. So far my new irons aren't that much longer but far more forgiving and they stop the ball on the greens so much quicker. However best thing I did to improve game was get some lessons with the pro in our swing studio, they made a bigger difference than any new clubs.

However as we get older trying to keep club head speed up there is proving difficult hence my turning to new technology to help my aging bones and arthritic joints! As I lose distance as I get older then accuracy, the short game and putting are becoming more important to try and keep handicap down.
TedMaul

dpedin wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:29 am New clubs bought ... although I will have to now sell my daughter!

Taylormade P790s with Recoil Dart F3 shafts. I got fitted 1 degree upright and 1 degree stronger lofts. Bought 5 to gap wedge. Tried them out twice and they are very forgiving and very straight but not too much longer than my previous irons, however real flight is better, not as high and less chance of ballooning the ball. Hit an 81, against par 70, on first round with them which was very pleasing. I now have all winter to try and get used to them for next season.
Nice. I’ve got the F4’s. Very pleased with them.
Blackmac

Welcome to Liv, John Rahm, here's your bag of cash but you can leave your integrity at the door. 😂
dpedin

Blackmac wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:12 am Welcome to Liv, John Rahm, here's your bag of cash but you can leave your integrity at the door. 😂
I wonder what part of the $450m made him change his mind?

Seriously is the LIV anywhere near making money for the backers or is it just another example of sports washing ?
TedMaul

I feel we need to vote with our feet and veto all Spanish products to demonstrate our anger at this.
Apart from Rioja and ham obviously.
dpedin

TedMaul wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:16 am I feel we need to vote with our feet and veto all Spanish products to demonstrate our anger at this.
Apart from Rioja and ham obviously.
... and chorizo!
Biffer

Any views on the new ball regs? Well overdue in my opinion, just a shame they're not coming into force for another 5 years.
dpedin

Biffer wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:50 am Any views on the new ball regs? Well overdue in my opinion, just a shame they're not coming into force for another 5 years.
Good idea - easiest to implement technically but probably doesn't limit distances enough. There are some fantastic courses in UK and around the world that have dropped off the competition rota due to being too short. We just end up with 7000+ yard non descript modern US type courses with huge flat fairways and greens running at 13 on the stimp meter. We need to stop the 'boom and gouge' game developed in the US and make the players think more about placement off the tee and the dangers of being in proper rough.

I've played a lot of golf in the states and all the courses tend to be just long with wide flat fairways, shallow large bunkers, rough is just slightly deeper grass, trees all have pine straw underneath them, water to hit over and greens are huge, flat and fast. For the yanks it is all about hitting the ball a distance off the tee and they will complain if fairways are not flat, if the bunkers are too deep or have a high lip and if the rough is too penal. It is great for a holiday but it really does get boring after a while and the courses all blend into one another.
Biffer

dpedin wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:00 am
Biffer wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:50 am Any views on the new ball regs? Well overdue in my opinion, just a shame they're not coming into force for another 5 years.
Good idea - easiest to implement technically but probably doesn't limit distances enough. There are some fantastic courses in UK and around the world that have dropped off the competition rota due to being too short. We just end up with 7000+ yard non descript modern US type courses with huge flat fairways and greens running at 13 on the stimp meter. We need to stop the 'boom and gouge' game developed in the US and make the players think more about placement off the tee and the dangers of being in proper rough.

I've played a lot of golf in the states and all the courses tend to be just long with wide flat fairways, shallow large bunkers, rough is just slightly deeper grass, trees all have pine straw underneath them, water to hit over and greens are huge, flat and fast. For the yanks it is all about hitting the ball a distance off the tee and they will complain if fairways are not flat, if the bunkers are too deep or have a high lip and if the rough is too penal. It is great for a holiday but it really does get boring after a while and the courses all blend into one another.
I've only played in the US once - that was in Vegas, so in the middle of a desert more or less and the course was still the same as you describe. It's nonsense.
TedMaul

I played the great Chicago courses this summer (Chicago Golf Club, Old Elm, Glenview and Shoreacres and your description of US courses could not be further from the réalite.
Sandstorm

TedMaul wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:27 am I played the great Chicago courses this summer (Chicago Golf Club, Old Elm, Glenview and Shoreacres and your description of US courses could not be further from the réalite.
Try some of the courses on West side of Maui. Flat and open does not describe them!!