The Official NPR Golf Thread

Where goats go to escape
dpedin

Blackmac wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:42 pm
dpedin wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:09 pm
Biffer wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:20 am

That’ll be why when they used it for the Scottish Open, they used a few holes from Gullane 1.
I like the opening holes on Gullane 2! The 1st is a traditional short par4 and the 2nd a dog leg par 4 with a sloppy green - however I agree the 3rd heart attack hill is a dreadful hole. I did manage a 5 putt on the 3rd green when it was a hot windy day and the ball wouldn't stop once it got going! 17th is like the 3rd but downhill instead. 18th I like as well albeit another short par 4.

Other way round re Scottish. Open - they used a couple of holes from No2 to supplement No1. they didn't use the 1st at No1 as it was too short and easy and they needed to lengthen the 18th as well. Members at Gullane weren't happy with the Scottish Open being there as it curtailed their access to their courses although they did get playing rights elsewhere. Renaissance is being used I think because it is a 'gated community' type of course with lots of accommodation, catering, etc all available on site etc and it lends itself to covid bubbles etc. Its just a very meh course!

Dunbar is a cracking links course and if windy it is very, very difficult. I tend to hit the ball high and it just destroys me when playing 2nd 9 back into the breeze. It is a cracking course. Playing in their Seniors Visitors day in August, not very optimistic.

Just finished a wee mini Tour with some mates - played Peebles on Thursday in blazing sunshine, Baberton in milder conditions on Friday and Duddingston in damp and occasional pissing rain yesterday. Peebles is a nice local course in a beautiful setting in hills over the town, cheap green fees and nice food in clubhouse. My own course Baberton is in fantastic condition and would recommend. Duddingston is a nice track underneath Arthurs Seat in Edinburgh with some long par 4s on back 9 but is a little untidy in comparison to the others, it needs a few bob spent on the greens and bunkers. Now knackered and in need of a rest.
Peebles is one of my favourite courses. Some absolutely stunning holes and on a decent day the views are breathtaking. West Linton is another stunner down that way.
Funnily enough played West Linton for the 1st time a few months ago and really enjoyed it too. Nice interesting course and friendly clubhouse. Me and mate decided to play a new and different course once every week or two and focus on courses in small towns around us. There are some cracking courses that offer a good round of golf and a nice lunch for very little money. We also like the idea of putting a small bit of business their way to help keep them going. Whilst I enjoy playing the big well known courses, they are beginning to price themselves out of the market. However they are struggling without the tourists - I heard Lundin Links was £250k down due to loss of visitor income last year and has had to put its subs up, much to the annoyance of members.
fishfoodie

Need to start giving penalty strokes to knob head pros who don't shout Fore !

Maybe then, pricks like DJ, & Deshambles would bother their arses to do so.
Insane_Homer

Na, if they don't shout fore then punters should just pick their ball up and lob it out of bounds or hide it. :thumbup:
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Globus

That course is an absolute whassit. Looks flat and benign but hit a ball straight down a fairway and you've no idea where it ends up.

They've apparently flattened some of it now. Played it four times as I have a pal who lives in Deal.
dpedin

Globus wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:41 am That course is an absolute whassit. Looks flat and benign but hit a ball straight down a fairway and you've no idea where it ends up.

They've apparently flattened some of it now. Played it four times as I have a pal who lives in Deal.
Good win by Morikawa and a nice guy to boot. Shame for Louis as he is also a nice guy. Good to see proper golfers win and not the let it rip and hope for the best merchants who struggled with proper rough and real bunkers! If more courses were set up this way for the pros then we might see a difference in the game?
Globus

dpedin wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:36 am
Globus wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:41 am That course is an absolute whassit. Looks flat and benign but hit a ball straight down a fairway and you've no idea where it ends up.

Good win by Morikawa and a nice guy to boot. Shame for Louis as he is also a nice guy. Good to see proper golfers win and not the let it rip and hope for the best merchants who struggled with proper rough and real bunkers! If more courses were set up this way for the pros then we might see a difference in the game?
Would be good. Technology has meant that many courses with traps and bunkers are being taken out of the equation.
dpedin

Globus wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:52 am
dpedin wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:36 am

Would be good. Technology has meant that many courses with traps and bunkers are being taken out of the equation.
Yep - most bunkers in US courses aren't seen as a penalty and those around the green are often better places to be than in run-off areas. Rough needs to be a real penalty, if you miss the fairway then it should be difficult to hit the green and if you can hit the green then it should be difficult to control the ball. Most US courses, bar US Open usually, are set up to ensure the 'big name' players can smack the ball miles and then have a shot to the green, they are scared to penalise these guys as they don't want to make them look stupid and will then get criticised in the press. We saw Dechambeu's reaction when he couldn't hit the fairways - blamed the clubs and if it wasn't the Open would have been critical of the course. I thought St Georges was set up brilliantly and rewarded the best players not the longest.
dpedin

20 stableford points on front 9 in yesterdays Wednesday comp and going well then the heat got to me! 10 points on the back 9, feckin awful golf. Really struggled in the heat and got all sweaty and bothered, was more interested in finishing round and getting my post match pint. Saturday looking cooler.
Openside

dpedin wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:55 am 20 stableford points on front 9 in yesterdays Wednesday comp and going well then the heat got to me! 10 points on the back 9, feckin awful golf. Really struggled in the heat and got all sweaty and bothered, was more interested in finishing round and getting my post match pint. Saturday looking cooler.
I am ashamed to say I resorted to a Bandana on Monday when I was attempting to putt the sweat was dripping off my nose onto the ball!! :thumbdown:
dpedin

Openside wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:38 pm
dpedin wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:55 am 20 stableford points on front 9 in yesterdays Wednesday comp and going well then the heat got to me! 10 points on the back 9, feckin awful golf. Really struggled in the heat and got all sweaty and bothered, was more interested in finishing round and getting my post match pint. Saturday looking cooler.
I am ashamed to say I resorted to a Bandana on Monday when I was attempting to putt the sweat was dripping off my nose onto the ball!! :thumbdown:
Shocked! Surely against the dress rules? What next short socks when wearing shorts!
Openside

dpedin wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:54 pm
Shocked! Surely against the dress rules? What next short socks when wearing shorts!
As of about 5 years ago we already allow that (have to be white mind...)
SaintK

Openside wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:48 pm

Fuck me!! With little b lue or pink bows?
Slick

And we thought Tiger had broken the barriers
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
dpedin

Slick wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:01 pm

Played Luffness tonight, beautiful evening and course was in great condition but I had to wear my long trousers as I don't own long socks/hose to go with shorts. Last time I wore long trousers was ... last time I played Luffness about 6 weeks ago.
dpedin

Anyone played golf at Cameron House, Loch Lomond? I got a pressie for a 2 ball and have never played it before. It has looked very nice on the TV when various pro Tours have been there but wondered what folk who have played it thought of the course.
Biffer

dpedin wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:52 am Anyone played golf at Cameron House, Loch Lomond? I got a pressie for a 2 ball and have never played it before. It has looked very nice on the TV when various pro Tours have been there but wondered what folk who have played it thought of the course.
Only ever went when the Scottish Open was there so haven't played it. Stunning to look at, worth it just for the walk round I'd say.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Blackmac

Biffer wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:03 am
dpedin wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:52 am Anyone played golf at Cameron House, Loch Lomond? I got a pressie for a 2 ball and have never played it before. It has looked very nice on the TV when various pro Tours have been there but wondered what folk who have played it thought of the course.
Only ever went when the Scottish Open was there so haven't played it. Stunning to look at, worth it just for the walk round I'd say.
You are both thinking of Loch Lomond GC, which is strictly menders only. Cameron House own the Carrick, which a few years ago was very good.
Openside

BM

I seem to recall you are a bit of a Belek expert.

I am contemplating a week at the Sirene Belek playing 2 x sultan 2 x Pasha and the Carya. Is it OK?

or would you advise alternatives (never played in Turkey before)
Openside

Slick wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:01 pm

:lol: :lol: :thumbup:
Blackmac

Openside wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:55 pm BM

I am contemplating a week at the Sirene Belek playing 2 x sultan 2 x Pasha and the Carya. Is it OK?

That's generally what we do.

We stay at the Sirene Belek which is attached to the Sultan and Pasha so you get the best tee times. The hotel is one of the older ones but had a huge makeover about 3 years ago and the facilities and food and drink are top class.
Sultan is truly outstanding and is a real top notch championship course, arguably the best in Turkey.
Pasha is a bit more friendly but is also a top notch track with some outstanding holes.
Carya is obscenely good and possibly my favourite.

Other great options are the National and Cornelia both of which have 27 holes, or if you are prepared to travel a bit further, Lykia Links which is magnificent.

Never played the Montgomery.

We are booked to go out again in May and did struggle for good tee times. We are playing 2 at Sultan, 2 at Pasha, 1 each at National and Cornelia.
dpedin

Played Dunbar GC during the week with a mate who is a member. Played it a few times and love it and it was in great condition and thankfully no wind this time! A true links course and loved every moment. They are close to building new clubhouse and rerouting the first few holes funded by selling some spare land for housing development which will improve facilities no end. Plans look stunning. Recommend it to anyone looking for a links course - you could even pair it up with Goswick a bit further south and have a fantastic pair of links courses.
Openside

Blackmac wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:49 pm

We stay at the Sirene Belek which is attached to the Sultan and Pasha so you get the best tee times. The hotel is one of the older ones but had a huge makeover about 3 years ago and the facilities and food and drink are top class.
Sultan is truly outstanding and is a real top notch championship course, arguably the best in Turkey.
Pasha is a bit more friendly but is also a top notch track with some outstanding holes.

Other great options are the National and Cornelia both of which have 27 holes, or if you are prepared to travel a bit further, Lykia Links which is magnificent.

We are booked to go out again in May and did struggle for good tee times. We are playing 2 at Sultan, 2 at Pasha, 1 each at National and Cornelia.
Cheers BM all booked now 2 x Sultan 2 x Pasha 1 x Carya all tee times circa 10:00 which should be fine in mid October…
Blackmac

Openside wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:41 am

Cheers BM all booked now 2 x Sultan 2 x Pasha 1 x Carya all tee times circa 10:00 which should be fine in mid October…
Excellent. The facilities really are top notch. Beautiful area down by the beach and a great pier with a cocktail bar. The food is also superb and there are a couple of really nice restaurants if you want to give the buffet a miss a couple of nights.
Openside

Blackmac wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:06 pm

Excellent. The facilities really are top notch. Beautiful area down by the beach and a great pier with a cocktail bar. The food is also superb and there are a couple of really nice restaurants if you want to give the buffet a miss a couple of nights.
Do you have to pay for the restaurants?

You can take the boy out of Scotland but you can't... etc.
Blackmac

Openside wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:44 pm

Yeah, it's about a tenner each but they are excellent, especially the chinese. As I said the buffet food is great but its nice to get out of that environment for a couple of nights.

The first year we went I got 10 euro each from all 16 of our party. I grabbed the brightest looking waiter and asked if he was working all week, when he confirmed he was I gave him 80 euro and told him to remember all our faces and ensure we never had empty glasses. He was brilliant and at the end of the week I gave him the second 80 euro.

He is still there 12 years later and is always waiting for us, even ensures that the mini bars in our rooms are over stocked with beer.
Openside

Blackmac wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:53 pm
Openside wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:44 pm

Yeah, it's about a tenner each but they are excellent, especially the chinese. As I said the buffet food is great but its nice to get out of that environment for a couple of nights.

The first year we went I got 10 euro each from all 16 of our party. I grabbed the brightest looking waiter and asked if he was working all week, when he confirmed he was I gave him 80 euro and told him to remember all our faces and ensure we never had empty glasses. He was brilliant and at the end of the week I gave him the second 80 euro.

He is still there 12 years later and is always waiting for us, even ensures that the mini bars in our rooms are over stocked with beer.
:lol: :lol: Good plan - you must be very persuasive :wink:
dpedin

Wee trip in September organised - Goswick, Bamburgh, Dunstanburgh and Alnmouth Village courses booked up.
fishfoodie

I'm happy he lost tonight; but frankly it's disgusting, listening to broadcasters, & former players; describing DeJuicer; as some kind of sports; "Innovator".

Since when is doping innovation ?

He's just another cheat !, taking advantage of the non-existent drugs testing, & silent bans; in the PGA Tour.

Are we seriously supposed to believe his muscle gain during lock down is natural ?

His own fellow professionals obviously don't believe that shite; why should the rest of us ?

Why did he really miss out on representing the US in the Olympics ? ... was he worried that a different sporting organization might not ignore test results ?

Right now; he's doing a bloody good impression of Lance Armstrong; & the PGA is doing their impression of the UCI.
Ymx

Where are links about doping?

I’ve only found this about his workout regime

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a328 ... -strength/
Blackmac

fishfoodie wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:31 pm I'm happy he lost tonight; but frankly it's disgusting, listening to broadcasters, & former players; describing DeJuicer; as some kind of sports; "Innovator".

He's just another cheat !, taking advantage of the non-existent drugs testing, & silent bans; in the PGA Tour.

Are we seriously supposed to believe his muscle gain during lock down is natural ?

His own fellow professionals obviously don't believe that shite; why should the rest of us ?

Why did he really miss out on representing the US in the Olympics ? ... was he worried that a different sporting organization might not ignore test results ?

Right now; he's doing a bloody good impression of Lance Armstrong; & the PGA is doing their impression of the UCI.
If you look at his body I don't think he is juicing. He must have put on about 4 inches around his waist at the same time which suggests that diet was one of the main contributions to the weight gain. Most of his distance comes from his club head speed anyway not his strength.

When I first signed to a senior rugby club I was told to pack on some bulk over the pre season and managed to bulk up by nearly a stone in 8 weeks purely by diet and weights. I ended up with a very similar physique to Bryson. It's actually very possible, especially for a man of his resources.
dpedin

Blackmac wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:04 am
fishfoodie wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:31 pm I'm happy he lost tonight; but frankly it's disgusting, listening to broadcasters, & former players; describing DeJuicer; as some kind of sports; "Innovator".

If you look at his body I don't think he is juicing. He must have put on about 4 inches around his waist at the same time which suggests that diet was one of the main contributions to the weight gain. Most of his distance comes from his club head speed anyway not his strength.

When I first signed to a senior rugby club I was told to pack on some bulk over the pre season and managed to bulk up by nearly a stone in 8 weeks purely by diet and weights. I ended up with a very similar physique to Bryson. It's actually very possible, especially for a man of his resources.
I'm doubtful that he managed to gain all that muscle mass in such a short time. I am a keen gym goer and although past it now I know a few guys who take it very seriously and they don't think they could have done what he has done without some additional 'help'. I have my suspicions and for me the biggest sign apart from the huge increase in muscle mass over a relatively short period of time has been his behaviour and more regular outbursts of anger at officials and others when things don't go his way.

Anyway hitting it 325 yards into the rough wouldn't be a big help but many competition organisers in US are setting courses up with no or minimal rough to accommodate him and other big hitters. They seem to think it attracts the players and keeps them happy. Typical American course design - players, both pro and amateur complain about courses with too much rough so they just cut it down, ditto bunkers which are there for aesthetic reasons rather that as an actual punishment. Whilst a lot of US pro players love playing 'proper courses' in the Open and other UK links courses Bryson didn't do so well when over here in UK where he got punished in rough and bunkers.
Blackmac

dpedin wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:36 am

I'm doubtful that he managed to gain all that muscle mass in such a short time. I am a keen gym goer and although past it now I know a few guys who take it very seriously and they don't think they could have done what he has done without some additional 'help'. I have my suspicions and for me the biggest sign apart from the huge increase in muscle mass over a relatively short period of time has been his behaviour and more regular outbursts of anger at officials and others when things don't go his way.

Anyway hitting it 325 yards into the rough wouldn't be a big help but many competition organisers in US are setting courses up with no or minimal rough to accommodate him and other big hitters. They seem to think it attracts the players and keeps them happy. Typical American course design - players, both pro and amateur complain about courses with too much rough so they just cut it down, ditto bunkers which are there for aesthetic reasons rather that as an actual punishment. Whilst a lot of US pro players love playing 'proper courses' in the Open and other UK links courses Bryson didn't do so well when over here in UK where he got punished in rough and bunkers.
Totally agree re the yank courses. Lowry was absolutely scathing about this weeks course in his interview last night. McIlroy the same. It's crazy that they are playing set ups that are allowing them to get to 30 under par.
Openside

There is nothing about Bryson's physique that would d suggest he is doping?? He isn't that big a guy at all and not especially muscular either...
fishfoodie

Openside wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:23 pm

There is nothing about Bryson's physique that would d suggest he is doping?? He isn't that big a guy at all and not especially muscular either...
You obviously have a very limited view of what dopers bodies look like.

You're expecting this..

when here's a professional athlete that admitted to doping for over a decade, actually looked like.

Slick

The top one is obviously fake as your cock disappears
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Monkey Magic

Any of you use smart watch like a garmin vivo etc for golf?

Debating smart watches and want something mainly for day to day and running but would love something that gave distances as well especially since one of the courses I play at has got rid of its distance marker stakes
Gumboot

Blackmac

Anyone watching the controversy in the Solheim Cup. Absolutely disgusting decision, the yanks should be ashamed of themselves.
Openside

Blackmac wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:20 pm Anyone watching the controversy in the Solheim Cup. Absolutely disgusting decision, the yanks should be ashamed of themselves.
The yanks didn’t make the decision the rules officials did. It wasn’t going to drop but these guys are pros they know the rules she shouldn’t have picked it up.

BA have just cancelled our flights to Belek 😞
Blackmac

Openside wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:34 pm
Blackmac wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:20 pm Anyone watching the controversy in the Solheim Cup. Absolutely disgusting decision, the yanks should be ashamed of themselves.
The yanks didn’t make the decision the rules officials did. It wasn’t going to drop but these guys are pros they know the rules she shouldn’t have picked it up.

BA have just cancelled our flights to Belek 😞
That's a nightmare mate.

Re the Solheim. You only have to leave it 10 seconds if there is a likelihood of the ball dropping. It clearly wasn't going to so that rule doesn't apply. Obviously Korda didn't think anything of it so the rules official had not right getting involved.

Europe shouldn't concede any putt for at least 10 seconds for the rest of the match just to get the point across that those sort of homer decisions are unacceptable.