NFL and NCAA football

Where goats go to escape
Gumboot

Another cracking wildcard game with the Lions just beating the Rams 24-23.
Big D

Gumboot wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:07 am Another cracking wildcard game with the Lions just beating the Rams 24-23.
Dan Campbell has done a good job there.
Gumboot

Big D wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:29 am
Gumboot wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:07 am Another cracking wildcard game with the Lions just beating the Rams 24-23.
Dan Campbell has done a good job there.
He sure has, and it would be great to see them keep winning.
Big D

Packers have more play off wins at Jerry World than the Cowboys!
Big D

https://x.com/Matt_Bove/status/1746928703500640478?s=20

Some effort to get rid of a lot of the snow.
Gumboot

Steelers @ Bills just about to kick off...
Gumboot

Great win by the Bills. That Josh Allen run for the touchdown was something else.

WTF has happened to the Eagles? Going from Super Bowl runners-up to 10-1 to 11-6, and now staring down the barrel of an early post-season exit...

Bizarre.
Gumboot

Has there ever been a melt-down quite like the Eagles managed this season?

From 10-1 and looking unbeatable, to looking laughably inept in their last 6 regular season games and then promptly crashing out.... astonishing.
Big D

Gumboot wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:55 am Has there ever been a melt-down quite like the Eagles managed this season?

From 10-1 and looking unbeatable, to looking laughably inept in their last 6 regular season games and then promptly crashing out.... astonishing.
Yeah it is pretty unprecedented for teams that haven't lost a QB.

A concerning number of injuries for the Bills. Four line backers and four corners currently injured.
Gumboot

Big D wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:44 am
Gumboot wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:55 am Has there ever been a melt-down quite like the Eagles managed this season?

Yeah it is pretty unprecedented for teams that haven't lost a QB.
Hurts' knee injury didn't help, but neither did the call to keep starting him if that was the case.

And if the entire team then fell off a cliff because of that...then it's not that, Shirley?
Slick

How do you U.K. chaps watch your NFL? Sky? Game Pass?

What time are the games usually on in the U.K.? Are we looking at 1am starts and suchlike?
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Snooze

Slick wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:26 pm How do you U.K. chaps watch your NFL? Sky? Game Pass?

What time are the games usually on in the U.K.? Are we looking at 1am starts and suchlike?
I dunno the best way to watch them on that side of the pond (although heading that way so am interested to know), but games are on at (+/-) 10am, 1pm and 5pm here on the west coast, so 6pm, 9pm and 1am there.

This weekend (UK times):
HOU v BAL - 9:30pm Sat
GB v SF - 1:15am Sun
TB v DET - 8pm Sun
KC v BUF - 11:30pm Sun
Biffer

Snooze wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:40 pm
Slick wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:26 pm How do you U.K. chaps watch your NFL? Sky? Game Pass?

I dunno the best way to watch them on that side of the pond (although heading that way so am interested to know), but games are on at (+/-) 10am, 1pm and 5pm here on the west coast, so 6pm, 9pm and 1am there.

This weekend (UK times):
TB v DET - 8pm Sun
I watch on sky via NowTV.

They carry the Red Zone programme from NFL Network on Sunday nights in the regular season, so I usually watch that. They also have TNF, SNF, MNF plus a six pm and nine pm (UK time) game shown live in full. All the playoff games are shown in full, live. They carry the US commentary but have their own studio presentation which is, shall we say, calmer than the US stuff.

They also got the college football (Espn / ABC games) this year, but only signed the contract for November, so a few weeks plus bowl games. They've got the contract through the end of next seasonaat least for NCAA. Think they have rights to ND home games too but don't show them every week. Don't see the big Fox or CBS games though, although the latter is less important as the main SEC game is on Espn from next year.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Slick

Biffer wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:09 pm
Snooze wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:40 pm

This weekend (UK times):
TB v DET - 8pm Sun
I watch on sky via NowTV.

They carry the Red Zone programme from NFL Network on Sunday nights in the regular season, so I usually watch that. They also have TNF, SNF, MNF plus a six pm and nine pm (UK time) game shown live in full. All the playoff games are shown in full, live. They carry the US commentary but have their own studio presentation which is, shall we say, calmer than the US stuff.

They also got the college football (Espn / ABC games) this year, but only signed the contract for November, so a few weeks plus bowl games. They've got the contract through the end of next seasonaat least for NCAA. Think they have rights to ND home games too but don't show them every week. Don't see the big Fox or CBS games though, although the latter is less important as the main SEC game is on Espn from next year.
Thanks chaps, hadn't thought of a NOW, pass seems like a very good idea, I'll give it a go.
Big D

I have both. I use GamePass (now on DAZN) to watch other NFL programming and catch up on games (they do "Game in 40" which is removes the adverts and filler).

Pros and cons to both. If you are really into NFL and want to watch more than just the games such as draft build up, analysis etc then GamePass is pretty good value.
Big D

I fear for my Bills this week. LB and CB rooms like A+E wards.
Slick

Big D wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:06 pm

I have both. I use GamePass (now on DAZN) to watch other NFL programming and catch up on games (they do "Game in 40" which is removes the adverts and filler).

Pros and cons to both. If you are really into NFL and want to watch more than just the games such as draft build up, analysis etc then GamePass is pretty good value.
Just getting back into it after a loooooong absence so probably don't need all that stuff yet - also, will never have the time!

Are the Bengals still any good....
Biffer

Big D wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:07 pm I fear for my Bills this week. LB and CB rooms like A+E wards.
Yeah, it’s a shame, that would have been a cracking game with fewer injuries on the Bills D (but who knows, they may surprise me). I would love a Bills Lions Super Bowl. But I think Ravens 49ers is more likely. Although I’m not convinced by the niners, they’ve had a very easy schedule this year. Three of their five losses came against AFC opponents (Ravens, Bengals, Browns) and I think that’s a reflection of how weak the NFC is.
Big D

Slick wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:12 pm
Big D wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:06 pm

Just getting back into it after a loooooong absence so probably don't need all that stuff yet - also, will never have the time!

Are the Bengals still any good....
I catch-up with a lot on the train. Might be worth checking if there's a deal on as sometimes they reduce the price down as the season gets near to completion. I don't think they black out play off games and it lasts beyond the season.

Bengals are decent but we're banged up this season. Their division is quite a tough one.
Last edited by Big D on Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big D

Biffer wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:33 pm
Big D wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:07 pm I fear for my Bills this week. LB and CB rooms like A+E wards.
Yeah, it’s a shame, that would have been a cracking game with fewer injuries on the Bills D (but who knows, they may surprise me). I would love a Bills Lions Super Bowl. But I think Ravens 49ers is more likely. Although I’m not convinced by the niners, they’ve had a very easy schedule this year. Three of their five losses came against AFC opponents (Ravens, Bengals, Browns) and I think that’s a reflection of how weak the NFC is.
I'm not sold that Jackson is a QB that can lift his team through the play offs like a Mahomes has or Allen almost has in the past. Bills haven't made the big game with Allen but he has had God mode play off performances that Jackson hasn't yet.

Would love Detroit to make it.
Biffer

Big D wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:44 pm
I'm not sold that Jackson is a QB that can lift his team through the play offs like a Mahomes has or Allen almost has in the past. Bills haven't made the big game with Allen but he has had God mode play off performances that Jackson hasn't yet.

I think people often forget how young Jackson is. Nearly two years younger than Mahomes. Came into the league very young, and I think he’s developing that leadership ability. Had a very good year this year and surrounded by a good roster, although the o line needs help. We’ll see - it really is anybody’s to play for now, I wouldn’t be surprised at anyone winning out, except maybe Green Bay.
Big D

Biffer wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:52 pm
Big D wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:44 pm

I think people often forget how young Jackson is. Nearly two years younger than Mahomes. Came into the league very young, and I think he’s developing that leadership ability. Had a very good year this year and surrounded by a good roster, although the o line needs help. We’ll see - it really is anybody’s to play for now, I wouldn’t be surprised at anyone winning out, except maybe Green Bay.
It is an interesting one, I think for example MVP has been devalues as it is heavily skewed to now effectively being the QB of the team with the best record who wins it.

Not sure I agree that being that much younger as an issue. He is the equivalent of one school year behind Mahomes (Sept 95 v very early Jan 97). But he is developing and there is no doubt he is a good QB, he just hasn't done it in play offs yet. This might very well be the year, like you I wouldn't be surprised. We have the potential for all four AFC QBs to play out of their minds this weekend. Should be good to watch!

I expect sadly that Ravens and Chiefs will make the conference final. Would like it to be Bills and Texans.
Snooze

I'm a Niners fan, and I'll hark back to the SB preview game between Niners and Ravens about week 13. So one sided even I didn't watch the last quarter. Niners are good, and they've beaten some good teams (also lost some duds), but Ravens are the team of the league right now. But as someone said, it's the playoffs and anything can happen.
Slick

Just been having a skim through the Bengals website. They are soooo far ahead of rugby in terms of engagement and promotion
Big D

Slick wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:26 pm Just been having a skim through the Bengals website. They are soooo far ahead of rugby in terms of engagement and promotion
Different worlds they are that far ahead.

Although to be fair they are billion dollar companies. Washington were bought last off season for £6b.
Gumboot

Terrific game in SF with the lowly-rated Packers going ahead 21-14 in the 3rd quarter.

The earlier game was fun, too.
Gumboot

Snooze wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:37 pm I'm a Niners fan...
Rock on!

Tomorrow should be another cracker.

Would love the Lions to win and go all the way...
Gumboot

Lions hosting the Buccaneers next...kicking off in about 10 minutes.

Followed by the Chiefs at the Bills...

And it's Wellington Anniversary weekend here, so that's my Monday sorted. :grin:
Big D

Other than the sadness at being eliminated it is hard to be too unhappy as a Bills fan. Some encouraging steps from younger players late in the season and given the injuries and rumoured injuries (I've seen a rumour that Allen and Diggs have been more dinged up than first thought) it was a valiant effort.

Think Bass will get cut though.

Very good performance from Lamar at the weekend.
Hal Jordan

Dear Lord, the state of the mental health of the older Bills fans must be horrific. I mean, lots of teams are.shit and fall short, but the Bills have mastered the art of raising hopes and then destroying them in the most devastating fashion. The poor buggers haven't even got a Superbowl in the mists of time to hope to repeat one day, just body blow after body blow.
Biffer

Hal Jordan wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:58 pm Dear Lord, the state of the mental health of the older Bills fans must be horrific. I mean, lots of teams are.shit and fall short, but the Bills have mastered the art of raising hopes and then destroying them in the most devastating fashion. The poor buggers haven't even got a Superbowl in the mists of time to hope to repeat one day, just body blow after body blow.
Have you watched the ESPN 30for30 doc, Four Falls of Buffalo? Really good on the four Super Bowl defeats in four years, and on the background of Buffalo and it’s fans.

They did win the AFL Championship twice pre-merger.
Big D

Hal Jordan wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:58 pm Dear Lord, the state of the mental health of the older Bills fans must be horrific. I mean, lots of teams are.shit and fall short, but the Bills have mastered the art of raising hopes and then destroying them in the most devastating fashion. The poor buggers haven't even got a Superbowl in the mists of time to hope to repeat one day, just body blow after body blow.
Like being a Scotland fan of my age (late 30's) without 1999. At least I have that!
Gumboot

Good win by the Chiefs over Baltimore 17-10

KC going to Vegas in a fortnight to defend their Super Bowl crown against...

...the winner of the SF - Detroit game that kicks off in about 5 minutes.

I hardly ever bet, but just put $20 @ 3.75 on the Lions to make their first ever SB game.
Gumboot

Lions ahead 24-7 at HT.

Could be worse...
Gumboot

SF fighting back to 17-24

Terrific game!
Gumboot

24-all

Gulp!
Gumboot

Ah well, fun while it lasted.
Gumboot

And that's why gambling is bad, kids.

:oops:
Gumboot

Ah well, you lose some, you lose some...

Two great games back to back.

Can't really ask for more than that.
Biffer

Terrific game but I reckon Detroit lost that as much as, if not more than, SF won it. Need to change it up a bit in the playoffs; I know detroit we're the most likely in the league to go for it on 4th down and had great success from it, but better teams at this stage mean you pint to your kicker and say we're relying on you more, step it up. Kick one of the two chances they turned down and it's a very different game late in the 4th.