The best new and returning TV series thread

Where goats go to escape
Gurudoright

‘tsek wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:34 am Anyone follow Last Chance U? Quite enjoyed previous seasons as an insight into the "culture", but am disappointed with Season 5's Laney College Eagles version.

I agree that this year is a bit flat. I’m not sure whether it is the fact that the coach is not an egotistical maniac like the last two from East Miss and Independent. That and the footballers are a bit boring compared to previous seasons
assfly

lilyw wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:34 pm The Business of Drugs on Netflix is fascinating. The main presenter is irritating but it is genuinely informative.

I genuinely had no idea that Mombasa is now a major world heroin transshipment centre or that most of the world's meth is manufactured by the rebel militias in Myanmar (almost equal to the official total exports from Myanmar).
Yes it is quite interesting. The episode on cannabis was good. I had no idea that the legal industry was so wrapped up in red tape that the illegal industry is still thriving in the US.
Quade

Umbrella Academy S02 is pretty decent. Along with Doom Patrol and the returning The Boys, some great superhero stuff on.
Plum
BnM

Big thumbs up for Umbrella Academy s2.
‘tsek

Gurudoright wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:02 am
‘tsek wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:34 am Anyone follow Last Chance U? Quite enjoyed previous seasons as an insight into the "culture", but am disappointed with Season 5's Laney College Eagles version.

I agree that this year is a bit flat. I’m not sure whether it is the fact that the coach is not an egotistical maniac like the last two from East Miss and Independent. That and the footballers are a bit boring compared to previous seasons
This and the complete and utter lack of MILF'y type school staff. Am disappoint.
sockwithaticket

Neither new nor best, but an official cast image for The Watch has dropped.

I happily forget that this show exists until news pops up.

Angua looks like a werepuppy rather than a werewolf, Cheery's not a dwarf, Carrot's a regular sized human, while both he and Vimes are dressed like they belong in the present day rather than Discworld and Sybil is neither overwight nor middle aged (to say nothing of the ridiculousness of her being a vigilante).

With Cheery's changes and Sybil becoming more photogenic, it feels like the creators have a problem with women.
Raggs

I'll watch, a little. But that image has me very very worried.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
sockwithaticket

I should add, so as not to be solely negative, that Detritus does look pretty cool.
CM11

I've started listening to some of the books on audible so am currently immersed in the world and that image makes me very sad indeed. :sad:
Raggs

CM11 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:46 am I've started listening to some of the books on audible so am currently immersed in the world and that image makes me very sad indeed. :sad:
I recently re-read the entire series, bought the half dozen or so books I was missing 2nd hand.

I have to say, I generally really dislike "re-imaginings" of things. Just call it something different ffs.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
CM11

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/the-watch-d ... -released/

Absolutely Raggs. Just so sad. They seem to be using the plot of Guards! Guards! but with characters who hadn't joined yet. Sybill is probably the worst in all this.
Raggs

CM11 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:58 am https://bleedingcool.com/tv/the-watch-d ... -released/

Absolutely Raggs. Just so sad. They seem to be using the plot of Guards! Guards! but with characters who hadn't joined yet. Sybill is probably the worst in all this.
It's got Carcer and Keel in it as well...

Basically hoping for views by using the fame of discworld, but unless it turns out to be absolutely amazing, it just looks like whoever put it together needs to be shot.
CM11

Raggs wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:37 am
CM11 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:58 am https://bleedingcool.com/tv/the-watch-d ... -released/

It's got Carcer and Keel in it as well...

Basically hoping for views by using the fame of discworld, but unless it turns out to be absolutely amazing, it just looks like whoever put it together needs to be shot.
Ffs!
ASMO

Serial Killer with Piers Morgan, not because it's any good, but just in the hope one of them manages to strangle the cunt
Ymx

How did I miss Sons of Anarchy?? An easy watch, a bit tough guy and bullets generally never hit them, but it’s a great entertaining series.

Oh and some better news.

The boys season 2 about to start on Friday.
Gumboot

I recently binged an 8-part series called Giri/Haji and really enjoyed it. It's a crime family drama set in Tokyo and London. Highly recommended.
Mr Bungle

Ymx wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:54 pm How did I miss Sons of Anarchy?? An easy watch, a bit tough guy and bullets generally never hit them, but it’s a great entertaining series.

Oh and some better news.

The boys season 2 about to start on Friday.
Very Dukes of Hazzard, but I watched them all.
Ali Cadoo

Currently working through Vikings... is pretty good! Waiting for next season of The Crown to come out. Hopefully Phil the Greek will start turning in to Alf Garnett.
mat the expat

Gumboot wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:28 pm I recently binged an 8-part series called Giri/Haji and really enjoyed it. It's a crime family drama set in Tokyo and London. Highly recommended.
It's farking excellent. Really well done and bonus Kelly Macdonald
Gumboot

mat the expat wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:37 am
Gumboot wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:28 pm I recently binged an 8-part series called Giri/Haji and really enjoyed it. It's a crime family drama set in Tokyo and London. Highly recommended.
Yep. Must admit I wasn't expecting the contemporary dance number in the last episode - wtf?! :lol:
mat the expat

Yeah - it ties into the storyboard method of intro
Gumboot

mat the expat wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:47 am Yeah - it ties into the storyboard method of intro
That was a nice touch as well. Top notch production all round.
stemoc

new season of lucifer is very good finished umbrella academy as well, it was good too, cursed last month, some netflix shows are pretty good..
Ymx

Cheers. Just watched first few minutes. It certainly doesn’t take long to get started.
assfly

Season 3 of Norsemen is brilliant.

Their humour is absolutely bone dry.
sockwithaticket

stemoc wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:20 am new season of lucifer is very good finished umbrella academy as well, it was good too, cursed last month, some netflix shows are pretty good..
Really? I thought it was poor. Then again, I've never been that impressed by it. Passable fluff at best.
Blake

Sandshark posted about the Cobra Kai on Netflix in another thread.

It's better and more entertaining that it has any right to be.

Akkerman

wasn't there another tv shows thread ?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28

time for a merge I think
Ymx

assfly wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:13 am Season 3 of Norsemen is brilliant.

Yep, love the humour, right up my street. Though it was so short. 6 x 30 min episodes or similar.
ScarfaceClaw

Ymx wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:15 pm
assfly wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:13 am Season 3 of Norsemen is brilliant.

Yep, love the humour, right up my street. Though it was so short. 6 x 30 min episodes or similar.
“I have a feeling this map will cause problems for one or two seasons.”
npradmin
Site Admin

Merged topics
vball

Watched the new version of All Creatures Great and Small. They guy from Nairn playing Herriot was fine but Siegfried Farnon was too young to have the experience and links to the farmers he is meant to have.
Nice easy viewing though.
Romans said ....Illegitimi non carborundum --- Today we say .. WTF
Ymx

npradmin wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:12 amMerged topics
Thanks
ticketlessinseattle

Gumboot wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:59 am
mat the expat wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:37 am
Yep. Must admit I wasn't expecting the contemporary dance number in the last episode - wtf?! :lol:
yup, thumbs up from me also ; the mother in law character was excellent and the Yakuza head guy's daughter was very hot indeed.
enjoying Goliath at the moment - got sucked into "little fires everywhere" - think even missus is done with it after a few episodes in - I haven't seen a characters lips flap that uncontrollably since Sue Ellen in Dallas
And 1 guest

I Hate Suzie had a promising start. Next episode tonight then I'll decide whether to binge watch
Jock42

sockwithaticket wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:17 am Neither new nor best, but an official cast image for The Watch has dropped.

I happily forget that this show exists until news pops up.

Angua looks like a werepuppy rather than a werewolf, Cheery's not a dwarf, Carrot's a regular sized human, while both he and Vimes are dressed like they belong in the present day rather than Discworld and Sybil is neither overwight nor middle aged (to say nothing of the ridiculousness of her being a vigilante).

With Cheery's changes and Sybil becoming more photogenic, it feels like the creators have a problem with women.
I expected nothing and I've still been let down.
Sandstorm

And 1 guest wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:13 pm I Hate Suzie had a promising start. Next episode tonight then I'll decide whether to binge watch
I’ve seen 3 of 4 cos the wife likes it.

It’s ok. Short enough to get through 4, but more than that I’d give up. Billie Piper is just a selfish bitch you don’t care about. Looks 50, not 35 too :thumbdown:
Marylandolorian

- The Boys season 2 back this Friday

- raised by wolves (HBO) seems interesting , filmed in SA

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9170108/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_1
Ali Cadoo

Whoever said that Vikings is good up until season 5 wasn't kidding. I was prepared to swallow them being able to learn new languages in 5 minutes flat.... I was even prepared to overlook them rowing like phalidomide children... but Season 5 episode 1's approach to plot-setting based on which actors wanted to come back for another 6 months of being caked in mud and filth just took the bloody biscuit.
Raggs

Ali Cadoo wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:04 am Whoever said that Vikings is good up until season 5 wasn't kidding. I was prepared to swallow them being able to learn new languages in 5 minutes flat.... I was even prepared to overlook them rowing like phalidomide children... but Season 5 episode 1's approach to plot-setting based on which actors wanted to come back for another 6 months of being caked in mud and filth just took the bloody biscuit.
For me it got stronger again, but never reached previous heights.