The best new and returning TV series thread

Where goats go to escape
Quade

Quite enjoying Perry Mason. Gorey as fuck though.
Plum
Jimmy Smallsteps

Smashing through Chicago P.D. at the moment.

Good story lines, just the right amount of biffo.

:mrgreen:
mat the expat

Quite enjoying Van Helsing.

Complete schlock but fun
Insane_Homer

I've exhausted all viewing options,

Sky - done
Netflix - done
Amamzon Prime - Done
Disney - Done
Most of my evening viewing is now youtube vids.

Snowpiercer is shyte, even Jennifer Connelly can't keep me interested.

Sinner S3 was bit meh.

decided to give Broadchurch a go. So far so good. great cast. (only 2 espisodes in)

Suggestions welcome.
Lemoentjie

Thanks to suggestions on PR, I've been watching the Das Boot series. It's very good.
Sandstorm

Insane_Homer wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:23 am

Sinner S3 was bit meh.

Agreed. I'm 3 episodes in and don't really care. Shame because S2 was excellent.
Akkerman

Bit late to the party with Gangs of London, if mindless gory violence and stupid plot are your thing, then it absolutely does the trick
Raggs

Got bored and wanted to watch something that was on either terrestrial tv in the UK, or amazon prime, since I use VPN for other less legitimate sources (and I can't use a VPN whilst doing any work). Started watching through Buffy :D. :lol:
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Monkey Magic

10 years late but have been going through Community, and as a consequence now started Atlanta.

Cant believe I didn't bother with Community first time around

Also saw that the lord of the rings tv crew are on the list to get exemptions to travel to NZ for production :D
Raggs

Monkey Magic wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:07 am 10 years late but have been going through Community, and as a consequence now started Atlanta.

Cant believe I didn't bother with Community first time around

Also saw that the lord of the rings tv crew are on the list to get exemptions to travel to NZ for production :D
I'd love to be able to watch Community fresh. It peters off a bit in the later seasons, but it's not bad. The first few are genius though :D.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
FujiKiwi

Yeah, watching Community for the first time as well. A good, not great show, IMHO. The paintball episode was cleverly done.
BnM

Only watched first Perry Mason ep but wasn't thrilled. TRying Penny Dreadful city of Angels, loving the music.
-RB-

I thought Community was overrated af, not even that funny.

On the other hand I've just started watching Curb Your Enthusiasm...

Hilarious :lol:
-RB-

Been watching the final season of Dark. It's brilliant.

I can only watch 2 at a time max though as it's so mindbending to keep track of.
FujiKiwi

Spartacus wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:37 pm Been watching the final season of Dark. It's brilliant.

I can only watch 2 at a time max though as it's so mindbending to keep track of.
I binge-watched the first two seasons over a short time period and I was able to keep the storylines straight in my head. I only had a four week break before starting season 3, but the gap was too long. I've just finished episode 3 but if anything the plot has become more convoluted, and in addition, in the intervening time, I have forgotten key elements in the story so I'm getting bewildered and bamboozled, and just not finding it as enjoyable this season.
-RB-

FujiKiwi wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:29 am
Spartacus wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:37 pm Been watching the final season of Dark. It's brilliant.

I binge-watched the first two seasons over a short time period and I was able to keep the storylines straight in my head. I only had a four week break before starting season 3, but the gap was too long. I've just finished episode 3 but if anything the plot has become more convoluted, and in addition, in the intervening time, I have forgotten key elements in the story so I'm getting bewildered and bamboozled, and just not finding it as enjoyable this season.
I knew that would happen so watched about 4 different catchup and who's who/what family is what vids on youtube and read through a few fan articles etc so was somewhat prepared. I also sit there watching it with this on my laptop:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... y_Tree.svg (some of that is filled in now)

Man it requires some concentration though that's why I'm buggered after two of them.
Spoiler
Show
I even took a photo of the TV with my phone to get alternate old Martha's family tree thing at the end of e04 :lol: [/end spoiler]
Margin__Walker

Finished Dark season 3 yesterday. Kept expecting it to collapse under its own complexity, but it never really does. Certainly not a series you can watch casually an expect to have a hope of following it. Really enjoyed it overall though

A few end game spoilers small gripes
Spoiler
Show
Thought the ending in the third dimension tied it all together really well. Definitely made sense as an ending and was nicely shot.

The one thing that stopped it being truly great TV for me was the lack of real drama for much of it. You have a sense throughout pretty much the whole series until the final episode that everything is on tracks and unfolding exactly the way it needs to to get to Adam (and later Eve) where they need to be. Also, the acting throughout was superb, but the actor playing the teenage Jonas doesn't really carry the role that well for me.
Last edited by Margin__Walker on Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASMO

Lucifer season 6, The Boys season 2, Vikings Season 7 (I think) Mayans Season 2
Denny Crane

Making a Murderer on Netflix, a compelling documentary series that came out in 2015, not sure how recent the 2nd series is, may be old news for some but worth a mention here for anyone inclined to have a nose.
As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use.”
― William James
Munch

I'm on a rewatch of Community and am impressed with how well it's held up. If anything I'm enjoying it more on the second watch.

Curb... is a funny one. Not that many laugh out louds bits when you're watching it, but it's hilarious when talking about it with mates. A bit like Monyt Python in that regards.
Last edited by Munch on Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. I've been drinking.
Ymx

Holy shitballs.

Just started watching gangs of London.

The start certainly set the tone
-RB-

Margin__Walker wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:47 am Finished Dark season 3 yesterday. Kept expecting it to collapse under its own complexity, but it never really does. Certainly not a series you can watch casually an expect to have a hope of following it. Really enjoyed it overall though

A few end game spoilers small gripes
Spoiler
Show
Thought the ending in the third dimension tied it all together really well. Definitely made sense as an ending and was nicely shot.

The one thing that stopped it being truly great TV for me was the lack of real drama for much of it. You have a sense throughout pretty much the whole series until the final episode that everything is on tracks and unfolding exactly the way it needs to to get to Adam (and later Eve). Also, the acting throughout was superb, but the actor playing the teenage Jonas doesn't really carry the role that well for me.
Will come back and read the spoilers later as not quite finished yet but episode 7 "Between the Time" certainly clicked a few things into place.
-RB-

ASMO wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:58 am Lucifer season 6, The Boys season 2, Vikings Season 7 (I think) Mayans Season 2

When is The Boys due?

That was class.
Jim Lahey

Watched the 2nd season of White Gold on Netflix this week.
Quality quality show :lol: :lol:
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
Sandstorm

Ymx wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:02 pm Holy shitballs.

Just started watching gangs of London.

The start certainly set the tone
Wait until Ep5 :D
Akkerman

ZeroZeroZero really is excellent, great acting, solid plot, awesome music, cinematography & visuals.
Miles better than over the top bilge like Narcos Mexico or Gangs of London.
Jock42

halfway through Aussue drama Stateless. Seems decent so far but unsure of the actual story.

Dark was gleaming, would have been even better if I could keep up with all the characters
Gumboot

Akkerman wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:31 pm ZeroZeroZero really is excellent, great acting, solid plot, awesome music, cinematography & visuals.
Cheers for the heads up, sounds well worth a look. And I completely agree re Gangs of London. Couldn't get past the first couple of episodes - it's overblown crap.
mat the expat

Operation Buffalo (ABC Drama).

Has humour but based on the Maralinga Nuclear Tests.

Very enjoyable and the gorgeous Jessica De Gouw in 40s outfits :mrgreen:
Ymx

Akkerman wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:31 pm ZeroZeroZero really is excellent, great acting, solid plot, awesome music, cinematography & visuals.
Which UK platform is it on?
Ymx

Still not released in the UK it would seem
Akkerman

It will probably be on Sky later on this year
sockwithaticket

Saw a teaser for The Boys season 2. September is too far away damn it.
ASMO

I am gutted that there won't be a season 3 of Happy, quite simply one of the funniest, maddest things i have seen on TV ever.
yermum

Mogwai soundtrack.

best thing I have seen in a while.
stemoc

Umbrella academy season 2 dropping at the end of the month.. hope it gets better, anyone seen Warrior Nun? its actually pretty good, season 2 might be better though...also Ju-on: Origins (of the grudge), all netflix shows, all worth a watch..
assfly

Currently on Succession S1, absolutely fantastic.

The Outsider was very good too.
ASMO

stemoc wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:45 am Umbrella academy season 2 dropping at the end of the month.. hope it gets better, anyone seen Warrior Nun? its actually pretty good, season 2 might be better though...also Ju-on: Origins (of the grudge), all netflix shows, all worth a watch..

I had hopes there that it would be (slightly NSFW)

Spoiler
Show
CM11

Is American Gods worth watching? Started it a bit too late in the night over the weekend and found it all over the place, but wasn't particularly sharp at the time. :oops:
Raggs

CM11 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:59 am Is American Gods worth watching? Started it a bit too late in the night over the weekend and found it all over the place, but wasn't particularly sharp at the time. :oops:
It's OK, is my opinion. Something to watch if there's not much else available. Some fun/good stuff, but not a classic.