The best new and returning TV series thread

Where goats go to escape
Biffer

Good Omens has been renewed for a third and final season
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Blackmac

Finally managed to watch all of Love/Hate. I know it was never designed as the end as there was meant to be a series 6, but it was quite fitting that just about every scummy anti-hero character came to a sticky end.
fishfoodie

Blackmac wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:25 pm Finally managed to watch all of Love/Hate. I know it was never designed as the end as there was meant to be a series 6, but it was quite fitting that just about every scummy anti-hero character came to a sticky end.
Just like the reality of Dublins gangland ....
Gumboot

Just watched the second 3-part series of Time, set in a women's prison this time. Harrowing, but excellent. :thumbup:
Uncle fester

Blackmac wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:25 pm Finally managed to watch all of Love/Hate. I know it was never designed as the end as there was meant to be a series 6, but it was quite fitting that just about every scummy anti-hero character came to a sticky end.
The guys making it got "notions" about it being the Irish version of the wire but it's decent if slight fun. One of my former work locations features heavily.
Uncle fester

Started watching Bodies.
Intriguing so far.
Blackmac

Uncle fester wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:47 pm
The guys making it got "notions" about it being the Irish version of the wire but it's decent if slight fun. One of my former work locations features heavily.
I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the lads playing Nige and Fran.
Jock42

Anybody watched "The Winter King" yet or know if the series just focuses on the first book?
mat the expat

Jock42 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:25 am Anybody watched "The Winter King" yet or know if the series just focuses on the first book?
No. It's my favourite of Cornwell's books so I just can't
Uncle fester

Blackmac wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:56 pm
Uncle fester wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:47 pm
I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the lads playing Nige and Fran.
Tom Vaughan-Lawlor, the actor playing Nidge is hilariously Middle class compared to his character.
Uncle fester

mat the expat wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:32 am
Jock42 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:25 am Anybody watched "The Winter King" yet or know if the series just focuses on the first book?
If they do it even halfway well, it will knock the spots off The Last Kingdom, which was a fine adaptation in itself.
Sandstorm

The Book of Boba Fett. Sandpeople? Dicks!!
Uncle fester

Sandstorm wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:23 pm The Book of Boba Fett. Sandpeople? Dicks!!
Ming-Na Wen looking mighty fine though!
mat the expat

Uncle fester wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:19 am
If they do it even halfway well, it will knock the spots off The Last Kingdom, which was a fine adaptation in itself.
I've seen the trailer, they haven't...
fishfoodie

Slow Horses season 3 is fucking excellent so far !
Jock42

mat the expat wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:56 am
Uncle fester wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:19 am

I've seen the trailer, they haven't...
I have now. Won't be bothering. The plus is it prompted me to reread it in anticipation.
Biffer

Uncle fester wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:48 pm Started watching Bodies.
Intriguing so far.
I’m on episode 5. It’s fucking great.
Gumboot

fishfoodie wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:57 pm Slow Horses season 3 is fucking excellent so far !
I'm late to the party, but is it worth binging the first two series first, or better to jump in at season 3?
Jock42

Gumboot wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:48 am
fishfoodie wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:57 pm Slow Horses season 3 is fucking excellent so far !
I'm late to the party, but is it worth binging the first two series first, or better to jump in at season 3?
First 2. The plots aren't connected but individual storylines might seem odd without context. Plus they're both great too.
Sandstorm

Sandstorm wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:08 pm
Insane_Homer wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:02 am Upload season 3 - Amazon
Invincible season 2 - Amazon
Gen V season 1 - Amazon

What we do in the Shadows - season 5 - Disney+
Loki season 2 - Disney+
Solar Opposites season 4 - Disney+

Rick and Morty Season 7 - E4 HD
Where the fuck is Reacher S2??? They finished filming 6 months ago. :|
3 episodes in, it's not as good as Season one. I've read all the books and Bad luck and Trouble is not the best of the breed....still not terrible.
Dan54

Gumboot wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:00 am Top Boy went out with a bang. Loved that series. Not without its faults, but The Wire lite? Fuck off.
Loved this, though I admit the first couple of series I had to have translation on. Probably one of shows I have enjoyed most for a year or 2. Only trouble is, I struggling to find another to get into at moment, was a show I watched and mrs didn't really, we tend to have a few like that. Haven't read through all of thread, but happy to look at suggestions for good uns!
I do admit I tend to lean towards English programs, always have , but happy with good ones from anywhere.
salanya

Same here, both on loving the books and being worried about the series. Bit sad, as it's written so visually and should have made great television.

Christmas day will bring the last ever episode of Ghosts, which is also sad but for positive reasons.
Over the hills and far away........
Biffer

Finished Bodies on Netflix. Excellent.
Simian

Biffer wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:42 pm Finished Bodies on Netflix. Excellent.
Yeah, I thought it was very very good too
mat the expat

salanya wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:10 pm
Same here, both on loving the books and being worried about the series. Bit sad, as it's written so visually and should have made great television.

Christmas day will bring the last ever episode of Ghosts, which is also sad but for positive reasons.
From what I've read of reviews, not touching it!

I mean, the Last Kingdom wasn't perfect but it had lots of heart and great acting.

The Winter King is special to me as I read it in North Wales, but come from Dumnonia! You're right about the visualisation aspect.
mat the expat

Jock42 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:09 pm

I have now. Won't be bothering. The plus is it prompted me to reread it in anticipation.
Good plan, it's been a couple of years. I've a hankering for some more finger rings!
salanya

mat the expat wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:21 am
salanya wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:10 pm

From what I've read of reviews, not touching it!

I mean, the Last Kingdom wasn't perfect but it had lots of heart and great acting.

The Winter King is special to me as I read it in North Wales, but come from Dumnonia! You're right about the visualisation aspect.
Although the Last Kingdom wasn't perfect, it was very impressive in that it started close to the book, and then developed over the series. It stayed with the spirit and general storyline of the books, but allowed the actors to develop the characters.
Apparently lots of choices were influenced by (lacking) budget too, which explains some of the narrative choices.

Not sure there are excuses to messing up the Winter King.

Anyway, they've started developing the CJ Sansom books for TV now, so fingers crossed they don't feck that up.... 🤞
Over the hills and far away........
sockwithaticket

Sandstorm wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:54 pm
Sandstorm wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:08 pm
Insane_Homer wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:02 am Upload season 3 - Amazon
Invincible season 2 - Amazon
Gen V season 1 - Amazon

What we do in the Shadows - season 5 - Disney+
Loki season 2 - Disney+
Solar Opposites season 4 - Disney+

Rick and Morty Season 7 - E4 HD
Where the fuck is Reacher S2??? They finished filming 6 months ago. :|
3 episodes in, it's not as good as Season one. I've read all the books and Bad luck and Trouble is not the best of the breed....still not terrible.
Definitely not as compelling as the previous season and the constant dialogue from seasoned investigators reminding one another that details matter is getting on my tits.

Decent enough background noise, though. Got through my yoga with the most recent episode on last night.
Hal Jordan

The new Doctor Who.

1). He looks like a good choice.

2). The only singing goblins I want to see are on backing vocals for David Bowie.

3). Mrs Flood. If it's The Master I will scream. If it's The Rani I will also scream, but in a good way.

4). My father, "At some point, that young lady will put on a longer skirt.' Me: " Not any time soon, I hope."
Biffer

Hal Jordan wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:08 pm The new Doctor Who.

1). He looks like a good choice.

2). The only singing goblins I want to see are on backing vocals for David Bowie.

3). Mrs Flood. If it's The Master I will scream. If it's The Rani I will also scream, but in a good way.

4). My father, "At some point, that young lady will put on a longer skirt.' Me: " Not any time soon, I hope."
1. Reckon so

2. Yeah, that was a bit mental.

3. Also the Flood - River - Pond connection.

4. There’s an episode in the sixties so probably shorter is more likely.
Uncle fester

She's no Amy Pond.

Bullet

Know it's not new or returning but boozy afternoon reminded me of wanting to find Water Margin series

The ancient sages said, "do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?". So may one just man become an army. Nearly a thousand years ago in ancient China, at the time of the Sung dynasty, there was a cruel and corrupt government. These men riding are outlaws - heroes - who have been driven to live in the Water Margins of Liang Shan Po, far to the south of the capital city. Each fights tyranny with a price on his head, in a world very different from our own. The story starts in legend even then - for our heroes, it was said, were perhaps the souls reborn of other, earlier knights...
Ymx

Slow horses series finale today.

Quite a dark season. Some bits lacked realism.

Im trying to decide if I liked it or not. I think it gets the thumbs up. No where near as good a predecessor though.
sockwithaticket

Ymx wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:41 pm Slow horses series finale today.

Im trying to decide if I liked it or not. I think it gets the thumbs up. No where near as good a predecessor though.
Certainly the
Spoiler
Show
crack MI5 tactical team being held off and then soundly dealt with by a bunch of the worst regular agents
strained credulity.

Still very much one of the best current shows, though.
Gumboot

I've just binged the first two series, and while I enjoyed them and will probably watch series 3, I don't think it's quite as good as all the hype.

Dan54 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:12 pm
Gumboot wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:00 am Top Boy went out with a bang. Loved that series. Not without its faults, but The Wire lite? Fuck off.
Loved this, though I admit the first couple of series I had to have translation on. Probably one of shows I have enjoyed most for a year or 2. Only trouble is, I struggling to find another to get into at moment, was a show I watched and mrs didn't really, we tend to have a few like that. Haven't read through all of thread, but happy to look at suggestions for good uns!
I do admit I tend to lean towards English programs, always have , but happy with good ones from anywhere.
I highly recommend "Time", a 2021 3-part British drama set in a prison, starring Sean Bean and Stephen Graham. The second 3-part series, also called Time, came out this year and is set in a women's prison. It stars Jodie Whittaker and Bella Ramsey, and if anything it's even better than the first series. Just top-notch, tense-as- hell British drama.
Ymx

sockwithaticket wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:12 pm

Certainly the
Spoiler
Show
crack MI5 tactical team being held off and then soundly dealt with by a bunch of the worst regular agents
strained credulity.

Still very much one of the best current shows, though.
Exactly that bit.
Gumboot

I'm hoping the next series of True Detective will be a return to form. Slow burning American crime dramas have been pretty meh in recent years, I reckon. Sharp Objects and Mare of Eastown were prime examples - by the finales of those shows, I still had no idea who the culprit was but had long since given up giving a fuck.

Couldn't get past the first couple of episodes of Severance or Bodies either. It's probably just me...
Insane_Homer

Fargo Season 5 (Amazon) has been really good. Fantastic cast. Weekly drops are annoying.
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
LoveOfTheGame

Insane_Homer wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:36 am Fargo Season 5 (Amazon) has been really good. Fantastic cast. Weekly drops are annoying.
It really does suck balls. One redeeming factor of Netflix is they let you binge watch a whole new season.
Gumboot

LoveOfTheGame wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:50 am
Insane_Homer wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:36 am Fargo Season 5 (Amazon) has been really good. Fantastic cast. Weekly drops are annoying.
It really does suck balls. One redeeming factor of Netflix is they let you binge watch a whole new season.
It really does suck balls.