The best new and returning TV series thread

Where goats go to escape
Dinsdale Piranha

Grandpa wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:45 am
GrahamWa wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:26 am
Dogbert wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:21 am Absolutely the best piece of TV that has been on the British screen recently was " Mr Bates vs The Post Office" - If you have not seen it I cannot recommend it enough

I've followed this story for the last 10 years through Private Eye / Computer Weekly/ Panorama & the BBC Radio documentary. but only in this televised docudrama does the magnitude of the story really come to life.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainm ... s-67861886

Mr Bates vs The Post Office tells the story of the long and difficult battle for justice after hundreds of postal workers were accused of theft, fraud, and false accounting.

In 1999, a fault with the Post Office’s IT system (Horizon, by Fujitsu) incorrectly reported cash shortfalls in branches across the country, which led to hundreds of innocent postmasters and postmistresses being dismissed from their jobs, with some taking their lives due to the stress.

Its a discomforting watch
Agreed, it was very good. What it left me feeling was how much the contractor got away with their behaviour. I would have liked to have seen how the govt (the tax payer) pursued them for failure to deliver a workable IT solution.
Did no one go to prison from Fujitsu? Absolute scandal if they haven't been punished at all?
The Horizon enquiry is still ongoing. The main witness from Fujitsu (ICL as was) - Gareth Jenkins - still hasn't given evidence. The post office keep finding new documents to send to the enquiry which delays things.

I have watched some of the testimony. It's often a horrible watch. The sheer stupidity and incompetence of many of the Post Office staff is staggering.

https://www.postofficescandal.uk/

The cynic in me says nobody will be prosecuted for this. I hope to be proved wrong. I am not holding my breath.
Biffer

The anti-woke, not snowflakes at all brigade are losing their shit over the new adaptation of the famous five, because the actor who plays George is black and a tomboy. Some of them are claiming that she's being portrayed as trans, despite clearly being referred to as she all the way through first episode. Apparently it's be cause she wants to be called George and says 'the last person who called me Georgina got a slap'.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
laurent

Biffer wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:57 pm The anti-woke, not snowflakes at all brigade are losing their shit over the new adaptation of the famous five, because the actor who plays George is black and a tomboy. Some of them are claiming that she's being portrayed as trans, despite clearly being referred to as she all the way through first episode. Apparently it's be cause she wants to be called George and says 'the last person who called me Georgina got a slap'.
She laughs at this...

Spoiler
Show
she did cross dress Image
Sandstorm

Civil War - released 26 April 2024

OMG, this looks good!

Blackmac

Sandstorm wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:49 pm Civil War - released 26 April 2024

OMG, this looks good!

I love stuff like this.
mat the expat

Sandstorm wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:49 pm Civil War - released 26 April 2024

OMG, this looks good!

Documentary budgets are definitely improving....
Uncle fester

Season 5 of what we do in the shadows is hilarious.
Gumboot

Not sure if anyone else has had a favourite show that nobody else likes and was canned after 1 or 2 sesons.

I loved Run Buddy Run. It was the funniest thing I could get my 8-year old brain around, and I was devastated when it ended.

Stressed Eric. A fantastic, short lived 1990s animated series that was so far ahead of its day it alienated most viewers.

Paved the way for Bojack Horseman et al, but never bettered imho.

"Pony" is possibly the single best animated episode of any show in TV history...

Arseburger! :lol:

ScarfaceClaw

That pony episode is magnificent. I still randomly quote it. Why? Because I want to be in the GYMKHANA!!!!!!

Gallopy, gallopy.
Blackmac

Started watching Snowfall now that it has been released on the iplayer. Excellent so far.
Jock42

Watched the first 2 episodes of Masters of the Air last night. Bit more CGI than previous series but there is no other way to stick dozens of B17s up there. Combat scenes have been good but fuck being the ball turret gunner.
Margin__Walker

Jock42 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:51 am Watched the first 2 episodes of Masters of the Air last night. Bit more CGI than previous series but there is no other way to stick dozens of B17s up there. Combat scenes have been good but fuck being the ball turret gunner.
Yeah, no real way around the need for it to be CGI heavy without it looking as sparse as something like Dunkirk.

Overall pretty decent so far imo. Worth a watch.
Spoiler
Show
Shame they had to include the Brits being pricks/crap bit in the scene with the RAF lads, but it's obligatory I guess with these productions.
Blackmac

Margin__Walker wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:50 pm
Jock42 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:51 am Watched the first 2 episodes of Masters of the Air last night. Bit more CGI than previous series but there is no other way to stick dozens of B17s up there. Combat scenes have been good but fuck being the ball turret gunner.
Yeah, no real way around the need for it to be CGI heavy without it looking as sparse as something like Dunkirk.

Spoiler
Show
Shame they had to include the Brits being pricks/crap bit in the scene with the RAF lads, but it's obligatory I guess with these productions.
Yet 50 odd years ago Tora, Tora,Tora managed magnificently without CGI.
Margin__Walker

Blackmac wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:47 pm

Spoiler
Show
Yet 50 odd years ago Tora, Tora,Tora managed magnificently without CGI.
Guessing there were considerably more airworthy planes available for extended shoots 50 years ago. Quick google suggests that there are currently a grand total of 6 airworthy B17s
Jock42

Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
I was torn between national patriotism and inter service rivalry, the latter won out in the end.
For those interested. A few spoilers in there.

https://www.facebook.com/share/ibPhWMaZ8yaJkF7j/
Margin__Walker

Jock42 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:50 pm

Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
I was torn between national patriotism and inter service rivalry, the latter won out in the end.

Ha, can imagine the internal dialogue there.

Will give it a read later. Orloff was on the 'We have ways...' podcast this week talking about it.

He's been on a few times and gave some more insight into the overall production.
Jock42

Margin__Walker wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:10 pm
Jock42 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:50 pm

Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show

Ha, can imagine the internal dialogue there.

Will give it a read later. Orloff was on the 'We have ways...' podcast this week talking about it.

He's been on a few times and gave some more insight into the overall production.
Didn't realise he was on it. Purposely have listened to it in case there were spoilers but got a bit of a car journey tomorrow so will stick it on.
Margin__Walker

Yeah, it's not spoiler heavy. Unintended hints on whether or not a few characters survive the war, but not a lot otherwise.
sockwithaticket

I'm finally cancelling Netflix. Been thinking about it for a while, but I clicked onto it today and was greeted with a screen inviting me to change my plan because the existing one (7.99 euros per month) has been discontinued.

My options are either pay less (4.99) , but have ads or pay more (12.99) for what is essentially my current plan, but with a slight uptick in video quality.

Well congrats, Netflix, you're just losing my custom instead.
Bullet

Enjoying Criminal Record at the moment, Apple TV are doing some good stuff
Probably too clichéd for some but easy watching and enough plot twists for me. Peter Capaldi always good value
Blackmac

It was decent viewing but i'm not sure they could have included many more cliches. I fully expect the two Bucks to crash land, become leaders of the local resistance, destroy a few Panzer divisons, shag a few buxom French wenches before swimming the channel and giving Eisenhower the exact location of the best beaches for D-day.

As to the narrative that the American's daylight raids were somehow tactically and morally superior to the night raids, what a load of bollocks. Until they developed long range fighter support later in the campaign it was suicide and barely any more precise and effective than night bombing. It was outdated doctrine that totally underestimated the effectiveness of the flak and fighter cover and allowed their crews to be slaughtered for very little return.
Jock42

Blackmac wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:18 am
It was decent viewing but i'm not sure they could have included many more cliches. I fully expect the two Bucks to crash land, become leaders of the local resistance, destroy a few Panzer divisons, shag a few buxom French wenches before swimming the channel and giving Eisenhower the exact location of the best beaches for D-day.

As to the narrative that the American's daylight raids were somehow tactically and morally superior to the night raids, what a load of bollocks. Until they developed long range fighter support later in the campaign it was suicide and barely any more precise and effective than night bombing. It was outdated doctrine that totally underestimated the effectiveness of the flak and fighter cover and allowed their crews to be slaughtered for very little return.
Haha, from what I gather it's pretty accurate to the story and although I don't know their story I don't think they'll inflate anything. The WHW pod that Margin Walker references above had the creator on, every plane that you see is the exact plane where it should be, they've put a lot of effort in.

I totally agree but it's not a documentary and that's how the Yanks thought. They could maybe have done better with the RAF lads debating it to add a bit of context.
Gumboot

I'm 4 episodes into True Detective, and I'll probably watch the remaining two out of curiosity, but imho...
Spoiler
Show
...episode 4 was the longest so far, clocking in at about an hour, but it was almost entirely predictable syrupy seal-shit.

Struggling to think of a single original twist or shock so far. Police procedural cliches abound. The writing and acting are almost cartoonishly bad, the supernatural element is about as scary as a hot-water bottle, and the soundtrack adds nothing to the story.

I don't really care about a single character, apart from Corpsicle. And now that's gone...

meh...

Talk about jumping the polar bear!
Blackmac

Jock42 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:43 am
Blackmac wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:18 am

Haha, from what I gather it's pretty accurate to the story and although I don't know their story I don't think they'll inflate anything. The WHW pod that Margin Walker references above had the creator on, every plane that you see is the exact plane where it should be, they've put a lot of effort in.

I totally agree but it's not a documentary and that's how the Yanks thought. They could maybe have done better with the RAF lads debating it to add a bit of context.
It was the fact they actually narrated it, suggesting that the British didn't have the courage or equipment to carry out precision bombing and were somehow more callous after 3 years of war.

I thought the 3rd episode was better and appeared to depict a disdain for the tactics. History has not looked back well on the first 18 months of the US bombing campaigns. Ever the US Airforce historians are critical. It was ill conceived and far less effective and never as accurate as expected. The famous "pickle barrel" claim was made in respect of bombing in perfect conditions from 6000 feet. Under combat conditions from 25000 feet they were barely more accurate than the British night raids.

The series certainly depicts the ridiculous bravery of those involved.
Insane_Homer

Mr & Mrs Smith (Amazon) is very enjoyable, 6 episodes smashed over the weekend.
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Simian

Gumboot wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:46 am I'm 4 episodes into True Detective, and I'll probably watch the remaining two out of curiosity, but imho...
Spoiler
Show
...episode 4 was the longest so far, clocking in at about an hour, but it was almost entirely predictable syrupy seal-shit.

Struggling to think of a single original twist or shock so far. Police procedural cliches abound. The writing and acting are almost cartoonishly bad, the supernatural element is about as scary as a hot-water bottle, and the soundtrack adds nothing to the story.

I don't really care about a single character, apart from Corpsicle. And now that's gone...

meh...

I really really liked the first season, but the rest have been rubbish (imo)
Sandstorm

Insane_Homer wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:10 pm Mr & Mrs Smith (Amazon) is very enjoyable, 6 episodes smashed over the weekend.
Really? I’ve watched 3 and it’s weird, slow and basically dull. None of the humour of the Pitt/Jolie film.

Donald Glover thinks he’s much cooler than he actually is.
Gumboot

Simian wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:20 pm
Gumboot wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:46 am I'm 4 episodes into True Detective, and I'll probably watch the remaining two out of curiosity, but imho...
Spoiler
Show

meh...

I really really liked the first season, but the rest have been rubbish (imo)
Same. I skipped season 2 after all the terrible reviews, and season 3 wasn't much chop. Can't even remember that much about it, tbh.
Ymx

I’ve been catching up on Fargo. Watching season 5 now

I skipped season 4, due to bad reviews. Am I correct to do so? Or worth watching ?
Dinsdale Piranha

Ymx wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:25 pm I’ve been catching up on Fargo. Watching season 5 now

I skipped season 4, due to bad reviews. Am I correct to do so? Or worth watching ?
Probably correct, unless you are a completionist.
Uncle fester

You need to watch them all.
Grandpa

Spoiler
Show

meh...

My thoughts as well. This season is a poor version of Fortitude...
Sandstorm

Uncle fester wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:02 pm You need to watch them all.
:lol:
Ymx

Sandstorm wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:02 am
Uncle fester wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:02 pm You need to watch them all.
:lol:
Isn’t it about Irish hating the Jews?

Think we’ve all had enough of seeing that recently
tabascoboy

Currently watching Fargo season 5, enjoying it muchly so looking forward to how it resolves the story in the last 2 eps. Love these true stories :wink:

Incidentally had my first ads on Amazon Prime, and it was only one per episode, lasting around 15 secs so not really intrusive and certainly don't feel like the extra premium is worth paying to avoid these. Wonder if not many people choose to go ad-free if they will slowly increase the ads pour encourager les autres...
Gumboot

Just watched the first episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm season 67...then watched it again.

Terrific telly, as expected. Can't wait for episode 2.
Sandstorm

Caught Black Bird from 2022 on Apple TV+. Only 6 episodes.
98% on Rotten Tomatoes and I can see why!! Taron Egerton and Paul Walter Hauser are amazing!
Ray Liotta is fucking annoying and really good at the same time. His last performance too. :thumbdown:
Insane_Homer

Gumboot wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:59 am Just watched the first episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm season 67...then watched it again.

Terrific telly, as expected. Can't wait for episode 2.
:thumbup: It's a cracking episode.
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Blackmac

Sandstorm wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:39 am Caught Black Bird from 2022 on Apple TV+. Only 6 episodes.
98% on Rotten Tomatoes and I can see why!! Taron Egerton and Paul Walter Hauser are amazing!
Ray Liotta is fucking annoying and really good at the same time. His last performance too. :thumbdown:
It's very, very good.
weegie01

I watched the first episode of 'One Day'. This episode was set amongst students at Edinburgh University the year after I left. Apart from jarring notes (e.g the non-white population is much higher than it was in reality, apparently when walking from A to B you zig zag along photogenic streets miles from the route) it really captured the zeitgeist of that time and place.