The Whisk(e)y Thread (Irish, Scottish, Miscellaneous)

Where goats go to escape
Hellraiser

Hasn't been made public yet but the IWA has voted to change the definition of pot still whiskey in the Irish technical file to accurately reflect traditional mash bills. Whereas pot still under the existing GI legislation could contain up to up to 5% other grains (oats, wheat, rye, etc.); as well as at least 30% malted barley and at least 30% unmalted barley; up to 30% other grains will be now be allowed.

Ceterum censeo delendam esse Muscovia
tabascoboy

Camroc2 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:39 pm
iarmhí wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:36 pm Irish whiskey is sweet and smooth.

Scotch is smoky and earthy

Dont know anything about Bourbon
The big commercial brands are usually made with lots of corn (maize), which makes it very sweet indeed.
The only one I've had is Bulleit Bourbon, which does have corn but wasn't too sweet.
Yr Alban

Normally a single malt guy, but I have just finished a bottle of Elijah Craig bourbon and bought another. Very nice indeed.
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
The Druid

The real deal.
Happyhooker

The Druid wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:52 pm Image

The real deal.
that's decent stuff, but for nearly £70 a bottle it can fuck off unless it's a gift.there's so much better stuff out there in that price range
Tattie

I’m normally a malt man, although I’m partial to an occasional Whyte & Mackay and ginger ale 😔

Got given a bottle of this as a gift, not sure if I should drink it or keep it for a bit. Anyone tried it or heard anything particularly good or bad about it.

Happyhooker

Tattie wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:34 pm I’m normally a malt man, although I’m partial to an occasional Whyte & Mackay and ginger ale 😔

Got given a bottle of this as a gift, not sure if I should drink it or keep it for a bit. Anyone tried it or heard anything particularly good or bad about it.

it's okay, nothing special. it's not bad for people who don't really know/like whisky. no peat smoke and a touch of sweetness

edit - that wasn't meant to sound as dismissive as it did
Tattie

Happyhooker wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:44 pm
Tattie wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:34 pm I’m normally a malt man, although I’m partial to an occasional Whyte & Mackay and ginger ale 😔

it's okay, nothing special. it's not bad for people who don't really know/like whisky. no peat smoke and a touch of sweetness

Thanks, thought that might be the case. I think I’ll just keep it, you never know, it might appreciate in value as the yanks love a bit of Johnnie. Guts of £50 for a blend is crazy.

I’ve got a dozen or so malts to get through first anyway.
Happyhooker

Tattie wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:51 pm

Thanks, thought that might be the case. I think I’ll just keep it, you never know, it might appreciate in value as the yanks love a bit of Johnnie. Guts of £50 for a blend is crazy.

hate to tell you this, but its's mid £30s at best
Jock42

Slick wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:24 am Had an excellent on-line tasting at the weekend touring the regions of Scotland.

Auchentoshan - lowland - bit boring to be honest

Bunnahabhain - Islay - probably my favourite of the night
Got a bit of Auchentoshan left, quite like it. Bit too easy to drink maybe.

Also have a Bunnahabhain Toiteach a Dha. The Smoky 2. Does what it says on the tin, really enjoying that as a wee nightcap
Tattie

Happyhooker wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:53 pm
Tattie wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:51 pm

hate to tell you this, but its's mid £30s at best
Couldn’t care less tbf. It’s going in the back of the cupboard.
Happyhooker

15 months after my dad's death, it's now looking like i can finally get over and have a proper go at his wine (okayish) and whisky (much better) cellar.

hopefully i'll be making a few of you quite jealous in a few weeks time

*by go, i mean have a look through, not drink the lot at a sitting, before anyone starts
clydecloggie

Got given a bottle of this for my birthday last week. Didn't know anything about it. Is it genuinely a new farm distillery in the Kilchoman mould or some of the main Islay distilleries finding a good way to get rid of their dross?
tabascoboy

clydecloggie wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:58 pm

Got given a bottle of this for my birthday last week. Didn't know anything about it. Is it genuinely a new farm distillery in the Kilchoman mould or some of the main Islay distilleries finding a good way to get rid of their dross?
Reviews at https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/h ... us-whisky/ are a bit mixed, but more seem to like than dislike.
Tichtheid

During a bout of insomnia the other morning I was listening to an article on the world service about a rare Irish whiskey that was being packaged with a specially-commissioned Fabergé egg

https://www.decanter.com/wine-news/iris ... rs-455229/
Hellraiser

Tichtheid wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:15 pm During a bout of insomnia the other morning I was listening to an article on the world service about a rare Irish whiskey that was being packaged with a specially-commissioned Fabergé egg

Avoid like the plague. Those lads are fraudsters.

https://tripledistilled.blog/2020/06/06 ... les-money/

TB63

Have a trip being booked round Penderyn in August, fingers crossed.
Looking forward to the vodka section as theirs is bloody lovely...
Slick

Funnily enough have just booked a trip to include Islay for June
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Dogbert

Slick wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:24 am Had an excellent on-line tasting at the weekend touring the regions of Scotland.

Auchentoshan - lowland - bit boring to be honest
Deanston 12yr - Highland - 2nd favourite of the night I think
Ben Riach - Speyside - Bought a bottle a few weeks ago on a whim, not my usual style but like it a lot
Glen Scotia 15yr - Cambeltown - Didn't like it but amazed you could really taste the salt from the surrounding sea
Bunnahabhain - Islay - probably my favourite of the night
Tobermory Ledaig - 18yr old - Mull - heavily peated, usually my type of thing
Jura 1984 - 30yrs - celebrating Orwell writing on the island. A huge treat at the end with a bottle costing £800

If the Auchentoshan was the 12 year old , then its a bit underwhelming , the 21 year old is however a completely different beast

If you are ever looking for a Benchmark for what a good Lowland Dram should be , then the Rosebank 12 year old ( Flora & Fauna) - is the personal favorite - bit hard to get hold of these days , and certainly not cheap, but life's too short ...

Rosebank was United Distillers , who mothballed the distillery in 1993 , it was then owned by Diageo , who sold the Distillery Buildings, but was bought by Ian Macleod Distillers , and I believe that the plan was that a New Rosebank distillery was to open in 2022 , but with COVID - who knows

If it can be half as good as it's previous incarnation , it will be a welcome return
Lager & Lime - we don't do cocktails
Yr Alban

Auchentoshan American Oak is fairly regularly available on offer at Tesco for £20. Nothing special about it, but it’s very drinkable and £20 is ridiculous for single malt.
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
Tichtheid

Hellraiser wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:07 am
Tichtheid wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:15 pm During a bout of insomnia the other morning I was listening to an article on the world service about a rare Irish whiskey that was being packaged with a specially-commissioned Fabergé egg

I'll spend my two million on other whisky then. :-)

To be honest it was the Fabergé egg that caught my attention, I didn't think they were still made.

I would never buy 30 year old whisky, it's far too expensive for a spirit that is no better, possibly not as good, as it was five to ten years younger. You're paying for kudos at that age, kudos and the Angel's share.
GuLi

I've been quite impressed lately by the Green Spot and Yellow Spot whiskeys by Mitchell&son.
What do you think about those?
Ah, and I've seen a Pogues whiskey bottle, but I haven't had the chance to try it. Worth a shot?
laurent

The spots are very nice.
I'm afraid no idea about a pogues whiskey, I stay away of the celebs branding.
Hellraiser

GuLi wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:09 pm I've been quite impressed lately by the Green Spot and Yellow Spot whiskeys by Mitchell&son.
What do you think about those?
Ah, and I've seen a Pogues whiskey bottle, but I haven't had the chance to try it. Worth a shot?
It's fairly meh blend.

Openside

Yr Alban wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:08 pm Auchentoshan American Oak is fairly regularly available on offer at Tesco for £20. Nothing special about it, but it’s very drinkable and £20 is ridiculous for single malt.
yup I always buy a couple when its on special.

Oban is my favourite.

Wife bought me a bottle of Sassennach for Valentines day which was nice, until I saw the price - I told her she should have got me two bottles of Oban :lolno: :lolno:
Uncle fester

Hellraiser wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:07 am

Was thinking that I had never heard of them but didn't give it much thought.
Tichtheid

Well there's a thing.

I have a wee snifter of Macallan Gold Double Oak in front of me (to celebrate Andy Murray winning). I was always dismissive of non-age statement whiskies, but this is good, it was a present from the eldest's boyfriend, who works in the industry - as per, though, it could do with being around the 45% mark.

I have to say it's better than what I remember of their 10 yr old, when they did a straight 10.
Slick

I’ve had a bit of a week of it actually.

Had a VIP tour of Glenkinchie on Friday and one today at Talisker (first due to work stuff and today due to buttering up the right person at the first).

Must say I used to enjoy Talisker a lot more than I do now, my palate is definitely changing
Jock42

I'm in the wrong job
Tichtheid

Slick wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:19 pm I’ve had a bit of a week of it actually.

Had a VIP tour of Glenkinchie on Friday and one today at Talisker (first due to work stuff and today due to buttering up the right person at the first).

Must say I used to enjoy Talisker a lot more than I do now, my palate is definitely changing

Glenkinchie isn't far from home to me, though there were no such things as distillery tours when I was a nipper.

Talisker is one of the bench marks for me, I love their whisky.
robmatic

Tichtheid wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:57 pm
I would never buy 30 year old whisky, it's far too expensive for a spirit that is no better, possibly not as good, as it was five to ten years younger. You're paying for kudos at that age, kudos and the Angel's share.
I completely agree on this, after about 20 years you can start tasting the wood of the cask too much.

The absolute best whisky I ever had was a 17-year old single cask Glenmorangie.
robmatic

Glenkinchie is a nice tour but I don't love their whisky.

My first holiday with the missus was walking the Speyside Way, where we obviously got in a few distillery visits. Aberlour was the best, and at 10am was a good start to a day of walking.
Slick

Tichtheid wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:35 pm

Glenkinchie isn't far from home to me, though there were no such things as distillery tours when I was a nipper.

Diageo have apparently spent about £90M on upgrading their whisky “experiences” in Scotland - including the Johnny Walker thing in Princes Street.

They have picked 4 distilleries - Glenkinchie for lowland, Caol Ila for Islay, I think Clynlish up north and a Speyside one. I went to Glenkinchie expecting a bit of Disney but it was actually done very well
Globus

May I add my own contribution from my county of birth.

https://www.englishwhisky.co.uk/

I don't drink spirits anymore but my guests reckon the several I have are up there, somewhere.

Sláinte!
inactionman

robmatic wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:10 pm
S/Lt_Phillips wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:33 am
Hellraiser wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:51 pm

Scotch can vary quite a bit. People over here tend to have one of two ideas about it: a) peat and iodine (which is really Islay whiskys), or b) rough as fuck blend like Grants.

There are big differences between say Springbank and Bowmore, or Dalmore and Glenfiddich.
Not only are the different brands quite different, but The Scotch Malt Whisky Society sells bottles from individual casks (usually different casks are married to ensure that all bottles of the same brand of single malt tastes the same), and the differences can be quite stark. (A visit to their tasting rooms is recommended if you're visiting Edinburgh.)

They've also started doing cognacs and bourbons too. The biggest thing that struck me when tasting the bourbons was how much oak comes through - because by law they have to use new casks.
I very much enjoyed my membership of the SMWS when I lived in Edinburgh, walking distance from the tasting room on Queen Street.
It had completely slipped my minds until I saw this thread, the missus got me a year's subscription for SMWS for chrimbo but covid and a move to suburbs have meant I've not even properly read the blurb yet - am I right in assuming this is just a membership to allow me to e.g. book and pay for tasting sessions, or are there sessions included as part of membership?

I'm not sure what the subscription actually entails, I got a shiny brochure but it didn't really make anything that clear. I'm hoping they extend membership as we've not had chance to use it, but no word yet - I'll maybe drop a line. (I've also got a voucher for Tom Kitchen's place which I'm dreading letting slip as it was also a gift)

I also used to live 5 mins from the Leith Vaults, unfortunately couldn't go when it was so close but them's the breaks.
inactionman

Globus wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:57 am May I add my own contribution from my county of birth.

https://www.englishwhisky.co.uk/

I don't drink spirits anymore but my guests reckon the several I have are up there, somewhere.

Sláinte!
My old boy lives just up the road so he bought me a bottle for chrimbo, I actually thought it was alright but my Teuchter brother in law was quietly apoplectic when he heard. Not sure why, it's sticking some water through a mash and putting in a Spanish barrel for a decade or so (although I think the Norfolk variety isn't necessarily that long). Geography isn't exactly a strictly limiting factor.
robmatic

inactionman wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:35 pm
robmatic wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:10 pm
S/Lt_Phillips wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:33 am

Not only are the different brands quite different, but The Scotch Malt Whisky Society sells bottles from individual casks (usually different casks are married to ensure that all bottles of the same brand of single malt tastes the same), and the differences can be quite stark. (A visit to their tasting rooms is recommended if you're visiting Edinburgh.)

They've also started doing cognacs and bourbons too. The biggest thing that struck me when tasting the bourbons was how much oak comes through - because by law they have to use new casks.
I very much enjoyed my membership of the SMWS when I lived in Edinburgh, walking distance from the tasting room on Queen Street.
It had completely slipped my minds until I saw this thread, the missus got me a year's subscription for SMWS for chrimbo but covid and a move to suburbs have meant I've not even properly read the blurb yet - am I right in assuming this is just a membership to allow me to e.g. book and pay for tasting sessions, or are there sessions included as part of membership?

I'm not sure what the subscription actually entails, I got a shiny brochure but it didn't really make anything that clear. I'm hoping they extend membership as we've not had chance to use it, but no word yet - I'll maybe drop a line. (I've also got a voucher for Tom Kitchen's place which I'm dreading letting slip as it was also a gift)

I also used to live 5 mins from the Leith Vaults, unfortunately couldn't go when it was so close but them's the breaks.
With the SMWS you get access to the bars in Leith and on Queen Street and can buy their special bottlings that they release monthly. That's pretty much it. Think you still have to pay for the tasting sessions.

It's been a few years since I lived in Edinburgh so things might have changed, and they are partial to a lot of marketing guff, but for me going to their bar on Queen Street was a pleasant way to spend an evening so the membership was worthwhile - and the girl I was dating who was quite into whisky eventually became my wife.
Slick

Stopped and got a Dalwhinnie 15 year on the way back yesterday. Had a wee dram after the kids went down, it really is remarkably nice and smooth
clydecloggie

Slick wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:44 am
Tichtheid wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:35 pm

Diageo have apparently spent about £90M on upgrading their whisky “experiences” in Scotland - including the Johnny Walker thing in Princes Street.

They have picked 4 distilleries - Glenkinchie for lowland, Caol Ila for Islay, I think Clynlish up north and a Speyside one. I went to Glenkinchie expecting a bit of Disney but it was actually done very well
That fills me with dread. I absolutely love the Caol Ila distillery because it doesn't pretend to be anything other than a working distillery in a remote corner of Islay. Just sitting there in splendid isolation sipping a taster and gazing out over Jura is absolute bliss.
vball

Off to Machrahnish the week after in the van for a few days. I have promised myself a tour and purchase some Springbank. Perhaps 15 year old ...
Romans said ....Illegitimi non carborundum --- Today we say .. WTF