Stop voting for fucking Tories

Where goats go to escape
Biffer

Tichtheid wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:42 am
Biffer wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:23 am
Tichtheid wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:13 am

I read Neeps’ posts in a different way, I thought he was using flags as an example of the trivial matters that are used to whip up outrage by and from the usual suspects.

There doesn’t seem to be outrage at the conditions some people are forced to exist in.

I honestly have no idea what was ‘woke’ about the embroidery on the collar of the England shirt, I actually thought it looked quite cool.

Edit, I thought the same about that cafe in Edinburgh castle and the name that sparked outrage, it’s trivial bollocks
Colours are roughly the same as used by bisexual campaigners.

I’m not convinced that’s what Nike had in mind.

Perhaps they did, the LGTQ+ exclusionary bastards
Not for a second suggesting they did. It’s the assumption of immediate wokeness in everything they see by these fuckwits that’s the problem. Because it couldn’t just be that a graphic designer saw red and blue as traditional colours and thought ‘ooh, purple’, that surely couldn’t have happened.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Paddington Bear

The answer with the flag is that it’s reasonably clear (IMO) that Nike have bought in to the idea that the St George’s Cross is a divisive flag, an embarrassing relic. ‘A change to unite’ or whatever the exact phrase was seems pretty explicit on this.

I don’t own an England football shirt and won’t buy one regardless. I do sympathise with those though who feel English and/or British national identity/feeling has had a decade or so of being shat on at every turn, and for a lot of people going after a major part of the identity (our football team) will feel like a final straw. It’s the motive, the reasoning and the implications behind it which I think have prompted a quite genuine reaction across politics.
Fwiw, when I ready the story on the tube yesterday morning (maybe Thursday, blending into one), I just thought ‘oh FFS’ and read something else. That seems to have not been an uncommon reaction.
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
C69

Insane_Homer wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:12 am lol bollocks.jpg
Boom headshot Nigel
dpedin

As soon as a dead cat like this flag shite hits the fan we all need to look closely and find the real story that they are deflecting from. Higher central borrowing levels by UK Gov? WASPI women? Biggest increase in UK poverty in over 30 years? All big issues yet the UK media is all over the 3" by 1" flag on the back of a collar!
petej

Paddington Bear wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:02 am The answer with the flag is that it’s reasonably clear (IMO) that Nike have bought in to the idea that the St George’s Cross is a divisive flag, an embarrassing relic. ‘A change to unite’ or whatever the exact phrase was seems pretty explicit on this.

I don’t own an England football shirt and won’t buy one regardless. I do sympathise with those though who feel English and/or British national identity/feeling has had a decade or so of being shat on at every turn, and for a lot of people going after a major part of the identity (our football team) will feel like a final straw. It’s the motive, the reasoning and the implications behind it which I think have prompted a quite genuine reaction across politics.
Fwiw, when I ready the story on the tube yesterday morning (maybe Thursday, blending into one), I just thought ‘oh FFS’ and read something else. That seems to have not been an uncommon reaction.
Sorry Paddington but it is media concocted rubbish and the 2nd set of absolute nonsense this week in football in a slow news week. The type of person who gets upset about this is the type that doesn't like this actually very good England side and gets angry at whatever imagined slights the press thinks up but weirdly didnt care about a purple union jack with a £. I wouldn't put it past someone at Nike thinking it is great free publicity.
Insane_Homer

Screenshot_20240324-130144.png
Screenshot_20240324-130144.png (1020.66 KiB) Viewed 1619 times
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Margin__Walker

The flag stuff is deeply odd for me.

Virtually every Tory party conference or leadership bid seems to have a blue union jack back drop. I doubt that's because they consider it an embarrassing relic. All the union jacks in the 2012 olympic kits were blue/purple iirc.

It's just something that's not a thing until it is.
fishfoodie

Insane_Homer wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:04 pm Screenshot_20240324-130144.png
Is it really a Rally when the Press outnumber the Rally ?

What happened to being against people & companies being canceled ?

But is is good to see the plum joining the Woke masses who boycotted Nike years ago for their support of cheats, diabolical exploitation of workers, including child labour, & their practice of giving female athletes considerably lower sponsorship deals than their male equivalents !
TB63

Hoping Mordaunt replaces Sunak is like laying in a hospital bed glad to hear Jimmy Savile won't be visiting you that weekend then hearing a didgeridoo coming down the corridor.
Sandstorm

TB63 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:22 pm Hoping Mordaunt replaces Sunak is like laying in a hospital bed glad to hear Jimmy Savile won't be visiting you that weekend then hearing a didgeridoo coming down the corridor.
I laughed despite myself :smile:
tabascoboy

Is this all part of the plan that Sunak keeps waffling on about...?

Insane_Homer

IMG_20240326_205254_533.jpg
IMG_20240326_205254_533.jpg (245.36 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
robmatic

Dunno if this is a Tory thing or a general UK-being-shit thing, but today I am disgruntled that, despite being a British national, I have to pay the higher international fees for my studies with the Open University. And to add insult to injury, Irish nationals get the cheaper home fees :mad:
inactionman

robmatic wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:04 am Dunno if this is a Tory thing or a general UK-being-shit thing, but today I am disgruntled that, despite being a British national, I have to pay the higher international fees for my studies with the Open University. And to add insult to injury, Irish nationals get the cheaper home fees :mad:
Jesus. Assume you're overseas - is there a UK family address you could register through, or is that gaming the system?

What are you studying btw? I keep threatening to start a masters in management (studiously swerving the MBA) but it's such a significant undertaking. I registered for one in Bristol until the missus informed me she'd landed a job in Edinburgh. Not sure whether I was miffed or glad.
tabascoboy

And talking of the UK being shit...
Raw sewage spills into England rivers and seas doubles in 2023

Sewage spills into England's rivers and seas by water companies more than doubled last year.

According to the Environment Agency there were 3.6 million hours of spills compared to 1.75 million hours in 2022.

Water UK, the industry body for sewerage companies, said it was 'unacceptable' but the record levels were due to heavy rain.

These spills are not illegal but environmentalists say they should only happen in exceptional weather.

And the Environment Agency said: "It is important to note that heavy rainfall does not affect water companies' responsibility to manage storm overflows in line with legal requirements."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68665335
robmatic

inactionman wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:40 am
robmatic wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:04 am Dunno if this is a Tory thing or a general UK-being-shit thing, but today I am disgruntled that, despite being a British national, I have to pay the higher international fees for my studies with the Open University. And to add insult to injury, Irish nationals get the cheaper home fees :mad:
Jesus. Assume you're overseas - is there a UK family address you could register through, or is that gaming the system?

What are you studying btw? I keep threatening to start a masters in management (studiously swerving the MBA) but it's such a significant undertaking. I registered for one in Bristol until the missus informed me she'd landed a job in Edinburgh. Not sure whether I was miffed or glad.
I can use my mum's address in the UK but you are supposed to be resident for the previous 3 years and I made the mistake of using my overseas address when I first registered. It was during the pandemic and I didn't think I would be able to travel for exams etc. In retrospect, I should have just lied and saved myself a chunk of money.

I'm doing an MSc in Systems Thinking in Practice. It has been really rewarding so far, just need to do the final project and dissertation now to finish it off. I took some time off studying after completing all the taught courses because not having any leisure time does get a bit intense and I know the dissertation period will require a fairly open-ended amount of effort if I want to get a Merit or Distinction grade.
Biffer

Do you pay tax in the UK?
sturginho

Hal Jordan

tabascoboy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:18 pm And talking of the UK being shit...

Sewage spills into England's rivers and seas by water companies more than doubled last year.

According to the Environment Agency there were 3.6 million hours of spills compared to 1.75 million hours in 2022.

Water UK, the industry body for sewerage companies, said it was 'unacceptable' but the record levels were due to heavy rain.

These spills are not illegal but environmentalists say they should only happen in exceptional weather.

And the Environment Agency said: "It is important to note that heavy rainfall does not affect water companies' responsibility to manage storm overflows in line with legal requirements."

No wonder the usual sources are making a fuss abut Rayner's CGT and a picture of Prince Harry with Puff Daddy (Prince of Pegging cropped out).
Insane_Homer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68674088
Rowers taking part in the 2024 Boat Race between Oxford and Cambridge in London are among those that have been told not to enter the Thames after high levels of E. coli were found.

Crews have also been warned to cover blisters, and wear footwear when getting in and out of the boat.

Pressure group River Action said tests indicated the bacteria came from sewage directly discharged into the river.
🤮
robmatic

Biffer wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:08 pm
Do you pay tax in the UK?
Not this year :shifty:
Paddington Bear

Insane_Homer wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:06 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68674088
Rowers taking part in the 2024 Boat Race between Oxford and Cambridge in London are among those that have been told not to enter the Thames after high levels of E. coli were found.

Crews have also been warned to cover blisters, and wear footwear when getting in and out of the boat.

Pressure group River Action said tests indicated the bacteria came from sewage directly discharged into the river.
🤮
The only counter is the Thames Super Sewer is imminently coming online which will hopefully reduce how often this happens. But yes, pretty horrific
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Sandstorm

Wettest February in history. Water treatment plants (and I’m the last person to support those investor-pleasing cnuts) are overwhelmed by high water levels and dumping shite in the rivers is inevitable.
Hal Jordan

Sandstorm wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:02 pm Wettest February in history. Water treatment plants (and I’m the last person to support those investor-pleasing cnuts) are overwhelmed by high water levels and dumping shite in the rivers is inevitable.
That's not last year, though, and maybe some investment in infrastructure and some actual punishments that don't make fines the cheaper option as a running cost rather than doing their fucking job properly might be in order.
Sandstorm

Hal Jordan wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:05 pm
Sandstorm wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:02 pm Wettest February in history. Water treatment plants (and I’m the last person to support those investor-pleasing cnuts) are overwhelmed by high water levels and dumping shite in the rivers is inevitable.
That's not last year, though, and maybe some investment in infrastructure and some actual punishments that don't make fines the cheaper option as a running cost rather than doing their fucking job properly might be in order.
Not arguing with you.
Biffer

And yet, when I was diving up and down to the Highlands in January and February, the hillsides were substantially brown. That was never the case when I was young.
Sandstorm

Biffer wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:43 pm
And yet, when I was diving up and down to the Highlands in January and February, the hillsides were substantially brown. That was never the case when I was young.
England is wet. Scotland not so much. Climate change innit.
Slick

I like neeps wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:03 pm
sockwithaticket wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:44 am
dpedin wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:12 am I see Kemi Badenough is doing the media rounds and making things worse again! According to Twitter/X she has managed to piss off almost every media interviewer she has met so far with the greatest of ease, even the friendly ones. I cannot believe this arrogant, infantile, stupid twat got anywhere near a Government.
A few weeks back I was listening to Oh God, What Now? and they had some interesting insights into her as a character. Apparently, as contemporary Tory cabinet ministers go, she's actually fairly across her brief and intelligent, which means she has a better rep with civil servants tha most. However, she is quite awkward and unpersonable and, like many of them, reacts very poorly to being questioned. Which is extra hilarious because apparently she wants to make another tilt at the leadership and being party leader, even when in opposition, does tend to put one in the position of being questioned
Great podcast is On God, What Now. Started listening last month but it's really very good.
Listened to a few of these now and really like it.

Have to say that Alex Andreou’s voice really irritated me for a bit, but love him now
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Slick

Biffer wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:43 pm
We’ve been testing at the site where a burn runs into the sea in Edinburgh for the last 6 months as part of a local campaign group I helped found. The testing has been weekly for things like ecoli and faecal matter and every single test has been well above SEPA’s acceptable amounts. Every single one.

We have also matched the results to local weather and it is just constant, very little to do with the amount of rain.

My favourite reading was for the 2 days after SEPA stopped their “bathing season testing” where the results went through the roof despite it being dry
Tichtheid

Slick wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:31 pm

My favourite reading was for the 2 days after SEPA stopped their “bathing season testing” where the results went through the roof despite it being dry

Do you think something was "let rip" knowing the official testing season was over?
petej

Tichtheid wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:47 pm

Do you think something was "let rip" knowing the official testing season was over?
Well known that this happens. Damn those cold water swimmers and other water users going into rivers and seas all year round.
Slick

Yup, that's exactly what we think. There had been pretty dry weather for a a while leading up to it.
Slick

petej wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

Well known that this happens. Damn those cold water swimmers and other water users going into rivers and seas all year round.
This is our focus at the moment. the Scottish Bathing Season is apparently from 1st June to mid September, and so the only time the water is officially tested around here. But there are hundreds of folk in the sea over the weekends outwith these times, so we are trying to raise awareness of that and put pressure on them all.
petej

Slick wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 am

Yup, that's exactly what we think. There had been pretty dry weather for a a while leading up to it.
Do you collect the samples and send them to private lab for analysis?
petej

Slick wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 am

This is our focus at the moment. the Scottish Bathing Season is apparently from 1st June to mid September, and so the only time the water is officially tested around here. But there are hundreds of folk in the sea over the weekends outwith these times, so we are trying to raise awareness of that and put pressure on them all.
I always check the surfers against sewage app prior to kitesurfing but it is noticeable that Scotland is mostly grey with not reporting unlike the red/green of England and Wales.
Hal Jordan

Sandstorm wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:28 pm
Hal Jordan wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:05 pm
Not arguing with you.
Yes you are.
Tichtheid

It's disgusting.
Slick

petej wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 am

Do you collect the samples and send them to private lab for analysis?
Yes, exactly what we do. Also just trying to involve a couple of universities up here.
Slick

petej wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am
Slick wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 am

I always check the surfers against sewage app prior to kitesurfing but it is noticeable that Scotland is mostly grey with not reporting unlike the red/green of England and Wales.
SAS have given us the initial seed funding to get it up and running. Only 4% of outflows are monitored in Scotland...
sockwithaticket

Genuinely, Slick, well done you. Sometimes what issues need are regular folk prepared to roll up their sleeves and put some work in on their own time. It's one thing to complain about what needs to be done and another to get on and do it.

Good to hear you're enjoying OG,WN too.