Hainault sword attack

Where goats go to escape
Insane_Homer

Summary
Police say a 13-year-old boy was killed in a sword attack in Hainault, east London, this morning
Five people were injured in total, including two police officers
Police say the 36-year-old suspect was arrested 22 minutes after the first call, after being Tasered
The incident is not being treated as terror-related
Police were first called to reports of a vehicle driven into a house shortly before 07:00 BST
:sad:
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
tabascoboy

Pics make the attacker look rather like the one at Sydney recently...
Ch Supt Bell says the incident does not appear to have been "terror-related".

He confirms that five people were injured - including two of his officers, two members of the public and one person who has died - the 13-year-old boy.

Ch Supt Bell says two members of the public are still in hospital, but their injuries are "thankfully" not life-threatening.

He says his officers need surgery, but their injuries do not appear to be life threatening at this stage.
Manpreet Singh, an eyewitness to what happened in Hainault this morning, says he "has never seen anything like that before".

Speaking to Radio 5 Live, he describes how things unfolded:

I just walked out of the office, it was seven o’clock [in the morning] and I heard chaos on the other side of the road. I saw a group of people, five or six of them, trying to fight off a guy - he had a sword on his hand."

Manpreet says one of the people fighting off the man with a sword was stabbed, while others tried to call the police and ambulance.

Quote Message: There was about seven or eight police cars entering that road and after another 10 minutes, I saw the guy running towards the station and entered the road opposite the station. He tried to get into one of the houses but couldn’t get into it and that’s when they Tasered him.
There was about seven or eight police cars entering that road and after another 10 minutes, I saw the guy running towards the station and entered the road opposite the station. He tried to get into one of the houses but couldn’t get into it and that’s when they Tasered him.

Quote Message: We saw police trying to catch him, and he was trying to fight [them] off. In a matter of 15 minutes, all this had happened. He was cutting people, I heard he stabbed four or five people."
We saw police trying to catch him, and he was trying to fight [them] off. In a matter of 15 minutes, all this had happened. He was cutting people, I heard he stabbed four or five people."

Manpreet adds that he's "never ever [seen] something like this before".
geordie_6

There's a video on the Beeb of Police shouting at people to lock their doors as the dickhead climbs across garages and into residential gardens.

Can't imagine what it would be like to hear that and being out in the garden with the kids, for example.
Slick

geordie_6 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:09 pm There's a video on the Beeb of Police shouting at people to lock their doors as the dickhead climbs across garages and into residential gardens.

Can't imagine what it would be like to hear that and being out in the garden with the kids, for example.
Just watched that and came on here to comment.
Scary. Brave police as well
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Ymx

geordie_6 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:09 pm There's a video on the Beeb of Police shouting at people to lock their doors as the dickhead climbs across garages and into residential gardens.

Imagine being the one who tasered him. Only one chance to hit him.

Surprised they didn’t wait for armed response. Very very brave.
Ymx

Christ another nutter now.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/0 ... -arrested/

Boy, 17, arrested for attempted murder after three stabbed at school
Two adults and a child suffered injuries and the 17-year-old suspect remains in police custody
Telegraph Reporters
1 May 2024 • 10:56am

Birley Academy
A 17-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after three people were stabbed at a school in Sheffield.

Officers responding to reports of an incident involving a sharp object at the school on Birley Lane at around 8.50am, South Yorkshire Police said.

Two adults suffered minor injuries while a child was also checked over after being assaulted.

The 17-year-old boy remains in police custody.

A spokesman for South Yorkshire Police said a 17-year-old boy had been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and two adults had been treated for minor injuries.

A child was also assessed after they were allegedly assaulted.

The spokesman said: “A 17-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and remains in police custody.

“Police will remain at the scene throughout the day to provide assurances to those in the school and the local community. We will provide further updates as and when we can.”
Slick

I was thinking the other day about what seems like a real uptick in these kinds of things. Could be just copycat attacks I suppose, but probably something a bit deeper which I have no idea how to articulate
C T

Slick wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:24 am I was thinking the other day about what seems like a real uptick in these kinds of things. Could be just copycat attacks I suppose, but probably something a bit deeper which I have no idea how to articulate
There's a load of anger crashing about just now, or at least feels like it to me. Just in the last month I've had two situations that I'd class as unusual.

One was on a late night train, one guy loosing it towards a passenger close to me. Screaming and shouting at him for about 15-20mins. He got to a point where he started tugging the guys beard, and resting his fist against his face. I put my hand across at this point, just saying that's enough. Then of course it became "Oh, you want to get involved do you?" Then two other people on the train got up and just quietly stood beside the guy going nuts. So in effect you now had four people, being quite calm but surrounding the guy. The train got to where it terminated and it all just fizzled out.

Then a few weeks later I was on my way to get in a taxi following a few beers and I hear this guy shouting "Oi", and I look up and he's pointing at me, storming in my direction. I should have just got in the taxi. Anyway, he storms right up into my face. My memory is a little fuzzy, but he said something like "I'm so fucking angry and need to kick the shit out of someone".

Might be completely wrong but there just seems to be an angry feeling in the air.
Last edited by C T on Wed May 01, 2024 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Slick

C T wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:05 am
Slick wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:24 am I was thinking the other day about what seems like a real uptick in these kinds of things. Could be just copycat attacks I suppose, but probably something a bit deeper which I have no idea how to articulate
There's a load of anger crashing about just now, or at least feels like it to me. Just in the last month I've had two situations that I'd class as unusual.

One was on a late night train, one guy loosing it towards a passenger close to me. Screaming and shouting at him for about 15-20mins. He got to a point where he started tugging the guys beard, and resting his fist against his face. I put my hand across at this point, just saying that's enough. Then of course it became "Oh, you want to get involved do you?" Then two other people on the train got up and just quietly stood beside the guy going nuts. So in effect you now had four people, being quite calm but surrounding the guy. The train got to Gloucester where it terminated and it all just fizzled out.

Then a few weeks later I was on my way to get in a taxi following a few beers and I hear this guy shouting "Oi", and I look up and he's pointing at me, storming in my direction. I should have just got in the taxi. Anyway, he storms right up into my face. My memory is a little fuzzy, but he said something like "I'm so fucking angry and need to kick the shit out of someone".

Might be completely wrong but there is just seems to be an angry feeling in the air.
Undoubtably, I see it every day and seems to be following Covid really.

Another thing that has changed in the last few years is that when we moved back to Scotland we used to marvel at how many people let you into traffic when driving and how few people tried to jump queues of traffic or be cocks at filtering etc. But that has all changed markedly in the last 2 years or so
epwc

A lot of untreated/undiagnosed mental health issues, a lot of substance abuse, a lot of people with no support networks, as well as a general lack of empathy in society.

Most of our soup kitchen punters should have support available somewhere but don't.
geordie_6

epwc wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:44 am A lot of untreated/undiagnosed mental health issues, a lot of substance abuse, a lot of people with no support networks, as well as a general lack of empathy in society.

Most of our soup kitchen punters should have support available somewhere but don't.
See this issue at work as well. There isn't a vast amount of capacity to offer the support, and a hell of a lot of reasons why community treatment teams won't take people on.
epwc

geordie_6 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:25 pma hell of a lot of reasons why community treatment teams won't take people on.
Yeah, we're the only soup kitchen or food bank in the area that works on a non referral basis (we take anyone)
Slick

epwc wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:44 am A lot of untreated/undiagnosed mental health issues, a lot of substance abuse, a lot of people with no support networks, as well as a general lack of empathy in society.

That explains a lot of the more extreme stuff, but there has definitely been a more subtle, or not, change in society as a whole
lemonhead

EP's pretty much nailed it though, I think.

Mental health, physical health, state support mechanisms and living standards all heading south. Not the best environment for empathy, all told.
Punter15

Ymx wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:06 am

Imagine being the one who tasered him. Only one chance to hit him.

Surprised they didn’t wait for armed response. Very very brave.
Unarmed coppers running towards the danger. Maximum respect.
sockwithaticket

Slick wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:21 pm

That explains a lot of the more extreme stuff, but there has definitely been a more subtle, or not, change in society as a whole
Polarisation in society has been escalating since the Brexit/Trump double whammy, but I think the pandemic really shattered some illusions many might have been clinging onto about their fellow citizens. From top to bottom we saw people flagarantly flout scientific advice that was intended to save lives simply because they didn't want to be told what to do. However subconsciously and with mountains of evidence as to why they shouldn't, I think a lot of people do still look to those in charge for cues on how to behave or standards to aspire to and the carry on of the Tory administration either modelled selfishness for them or really drove home that power doesn't care about them and we're more or less on our own at a societal level.

In the immediate aftermath many who were told they were key workers and heroes during the pandemic, at the same time as being treated pretty horribly by some members of the public, and were swiftly disregarded again afterwards. Denied any semblance of a tangible reward for what they did (pay increases). That doesn't engender a lot of love or respect for society.

It's possibly also a collective trauma reaction. Every time period has its ups and downs, but for a lot of people the last decade and a bit has just been ever-worsening. The cusp of world war three feels more palpable than in a good while and that's right after a global plague we've sort of been expected to just shrug off, to get right back to normal as if nothing happened.
Ymx

Blimey they are fast tracking this

Margin__Walker

That's pretty normal isn't it?

Charge is a formality and the court hearing just to confirm name, address etc iirc
bogbunny

I am slowly coming to thinking that Capital Punishment needs to be looked at.

Putting the perps into secure mental health facilities for the rest of their natural (40-50 years) is a complete waste of resources. (£275k + pa).

Bring back ol sparky
Slick

bogbunny wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:50 am I am slowly coming to thinking that Capital Punishment needs to be looked at.

Putting the perps into secure mental health facilities for the rest of their natural (40-50 years) is a complete waste of resources. (£275k + pa).

Bring back ol sparky
No
David in Gwent

sockwithaticket wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:36 pm

Polarisation in society has been escalating since the Brexit/Trump double whammy, but I think the pandemic really shattered some illusions many might have been clinging onto about their fellow citizens. From top to bottom we saw people flagarantly flout scientific advice that was intended to save lives simply because they didn't want to be told what to do. However subconsciously and with mountains of evidence as to why they shouldn't, I think a lot of people do still look to those in charge for cues on how to behave or standards to aspire to and the carry on of the Tory administration either modelled selfishness for them or really drove home that power doesn't care about them and we're more or less on our own at a societal level.

In the immediate aftermath many who were told they were key workers and heroes during the pandemic, at the same time as being treated pretty horribly by some members of the public, and were swiftly disregarded again afterwards. Denied any semblance of a tangible reward for what they did (pay increases). That doesn't engender a lot of love or respect for society.

It's possibly also a collective trauma reaction. Every time period has its ups and downs, but for a lot of people the last decade and a bit has just been ever-worsening. The cusp of world war three feels more palpable than in a good while and that's right after a global plague we've sort of been expected to just shrug off, to get right back to normal as if nothing happened.
:lol:
SaintK

Margin__Walker wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:41 pm That's pretty normal isn't it?

Charge is a formality and the court hearing just to confirm name, address etc iirc
Quite. The case will take an age to come to court as our judicial system is in tatters with under investment for years and thanks to Messrs Grayling and Raab for dismantling it.
Paddington Bear

Not a direct link to a sword attack on a child, but a lot of people, businesses and services discovered in covid what the absolute bare minimum acceptable standards were, and have maintained themselves at that low level ever since
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
C T

SaintK wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:51 am
Margin__Walker wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:41 pm That's pretty normal isn't it?

Quite. The case will take an age to come to court as our judicial system is in tatters with under investment for years and thanks to Messrs Grayling and Raab for dismantling it.
Unless of course it's a Rwanda related thing, then I imagine it'll be straight to the courts.
sockwithaticket

bogbunny wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:50 am I am slowly coming to thinking that Capital Punishment needs to be looked at.

Bring back ol sparky
Innocent people get convicted all the time. If you genuinely advocate for capital punishment on a cost basis, you're saying that the deaths of the wrongfully convicted are acceptable collateral to saving money.
sockwithaticket

Paddington Bear wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:52 am

Not a direct link to a sword attack on a child, but a lot of people, businesses and services discovered in covid what the absolute bare minimum acceptable standards were, and have maintained themselves at that low level ever since
Definitely contributes to the general sense of enshitification that envelops everything from the state of the internet (riddled with bots, AI and ads) to the state of public services.
David in Gwent

Virtually, everything that’s gone wrong with this country, fundamentally rests with Blair & New Labour
Tichtheid

sockwithaticket wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:09 am

Bring back ol sparky
Innocent people get convicted all the time. If you genuinely advocate for capital punishment on a cost basis, you're saying that the deaths of the wrongfully convicted are acceptable collateral to saving money.

Plus, a death penalty will not stop someone with the sort of mental health problems that leads them to kill children
sockwithaticket

David in Gwent wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:10 am

Virtually, everything that’s gone wrong with this country, fundamentally rests with Blair & New Labour
:roll:

Don't you have some crayons to eat?
David in Gwent

sockwithaticket wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:27 am

Your take on the "plague" is mind boggling, truly.
sockwithaticket

David in Gwent wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:31 am

Yes I imagine it is to someone who seems determined to embody the caricature of a swivel-eyed right wing loon.
David in Gwent

...especially when it comes from a far, far left lunatic who appears to have no soul.
Tichtheid

Blimey, all this time I though hard left meant something like the RCP or one of the Anarcho-Syndcalist co-operatives, but sockwithaticket has the real mud on his boots, Tankies are sell-out wimps to him.
Slick

Oh! Have you got THE TRUTH!?
David in Gwent

Slick wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:46 pm

Are you saying the truth is that it was a plague?
Slick

David in Gwent wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:47 pm

Sorry, not playing.
David in Gwent

Slick wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:00 pm

Sorry, not playing.
No need to apologise. You've too much to lose.
Slick

David in Gwent wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:01 pm

Sorry, not playing.
From THE TRUTH?
David in Gwent

Slick wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:01 pm

Sorry, not playing.
From THE TRUTH?
The truth is that Sock is a moron and I don't want to play your game either.
Slick

David in Gwent wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:10 pm
Slick wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:01 pm

From THE TRUTH?
The truth is that Sock is a moron and I don't want to play your game either.
Yet, rather predictably, you’ve stormed in and proven his point