The New Hobbies Thread

Where goats go to escape
petej

epwc wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:04 pm Jam making is easy, chilli sauce too if you have a pasteuriser
I do red currant and black currant jams already as the garden had them when we bought the house. Do blackberry jam as loads about near where I live (though blackberry's are usually combined with Rhubarb to make a crumble).
dkm57

I started making sticks this year, OK not so much a new thing for me as I'd always made my work sticks but now I'm doing it more seriously and am making everything from Tenbo to Jo staffs as well as various walking sticks. latest thing is nice 'hip' sticks for folk who maybe need a little support or steadying and/or just to look smart. This has lead me down the path o working with a lathe to turn some nice handles and may well tempt me into trying to make bowls etc. At he moment I'm spending as much time making tools, jigs as I am making the sticks.
mat the expat

dkm57 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:05 am I started making sticks this year, OK not so much a new thing for me as I'd always made my work sticks but now I'm doing it more seriously and am making everything from Tenbo to Jo staffs as well as various walking sticks. latest thing is nice 'hip' sticks for folk who maybe need a little support or steadying and/or just to look smart. This has lead me down the path o working with a lathe to turn some nice handles and may well tempt me into trying to make bowls etc. At he moment I'm spending as much time making tools, jigs as I am making the sticks.
Do you do Jodo?
dkm57

mat the expat wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:52 am
dkm57 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:05 am I started making sticks this year, OK not so much a new thing for me as I'd always made my work sticks but now I'm doing it more seriously and am making everything from Tenbo to Jo staffs as well as various walking sticks. latest thing is nice 'hip' sticks for folk who maybe need a little support or steadying and/or just to look smart. This has lead me down the path o working with a lathe to turn some nice handles and may well tempt me into trying to make bowls etc. At he moment I'm spending as much time making tools, jigs as I am making the sticks.
Do you do Jodo?
The Jo is my preferred length of staff, I find I can use moves from the Bo and Hanbo using it, I have an oak staff for practice and walnut for posh (God knows why), although I don't practice any of the martial arts I do regularly run some moves/routines taken from various disciplines as a form of movement/exercise. I've found all the disciplines largely have the same moves. Kali is an interesting one for short sticks.
Last edited by dkm57 on Sun May 12, 2024 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slick

Had a kayak lesson during the week - I got given a sea kayak last year and thought it best to get a couple of lessons before I take it out.

Fuck me it was painful squeezing into the bloody thing - a mix of being large and inflexible - 3 days later and I’ve still got a bit of pain and stiffness in parts of my legs I didn’t know has muscles. At one point I had to paddle to shore for a stretch as my leg went dead then to pain….

Anyway, eventually found a more comfortable way to sit and thoroughly enjoyed it!
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
fishfoodie

Slick wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:22 am Had a kayak lesson during the week - I got given a sea kayak last year and thought it best to get a couple of lessons before I take it out.

Fuck me it was painful squeezing into the bloody thing - a mix of being large and inflexible - 3 days later and I’ve still got a bit of pain and stiffness in parts of my legs I didn’t know has muscles. At one point I had to paddle to shore for a stretch as my leg went dead then to pain….

Anyway, eventually found a more comfortable way to sit and thoroughly enjoyed it!
:thumbup:

At least you're getting the aches in the right part of your body. If you've sore arms, you were using the wrong muscle groups to paddle. You'll get the old six pack back if you keep it up.

Get yourself a buddy when you head out, as it's always good to have someone else around when you're out.
troglodiet

Reptiles and other exotic animals.

I've always loved nature, and snakes have always been one of my favourite animals.

But since the arrival of my son, who managed to convince his (new) mother to allow him getting one snake, both my wife and I have been pulled into this wonderful world. My wife was shit-scared of snakes, now she takes them out of their cages and walk with them by herself.

It took my son almost a year to get his mother's approval to get a snake. 3 years later and we have 8 ball pythons, one sand boa, a leopard gecko, 2 Tenrecs, a Bearded Dragon, 6 Tarantulas and one scorpion. (I'm arachnophobic so keeping my distance with the spiders).

But it's the ball pythons, with its thousands of morphs that has me hooked. Can't wait for next year when we can start breeding our own morphs. With all the different genes and morphs we have now we can breed some very nice snakes. We can probably get a few high-end snakes, if we're very lucky even world firsts. Probably lots of money to be made too.

And I want to diversify and start breeding Blood Pythons and Red-tail boas too.
inactionman

Slick wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:22 am Had a kayak lesson during the week - I got given a sea kayak last year and thought it best to get a couple of lessons before I take it out.

I keep seeing people lugging kayaks into Gracemount leisure centre , I've been meaning to enquire but struggling to get more than 10 minutes to my self of late!
fishfoodie

inactionman wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:35 pm

I keep seeing people lugging kayaks into Gracemount leisure centre , I've been meaning to enquire but struggling to get more than 10 minutes to my self of late!
It's a lot easier to learn how to do your capsize drills & rescues when you can see & there's no current.

Mind you, when I started paddling, we used to go to the nearby river, & your face got within a few inches of the water, & you got a whiff of it, & you'd pull a muscle in your stomach to right yourself rather than have to take a bath in dettol to get clean again.
mat the expat

dkm57 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:18 am
Do you do Jodo?
The Jo is my preferred length of staff, I find I can use moves from the Bo and Hanbo using it, I have an oak staff for practice and walnut for posh (God knows why), although I don't practice any of the martial arts I do regularly run some moves/routines taken from various disciplines as a form of movement/exercise. I've found all the disciplines largely have the same moves. Kali is an interesting one for short sticks.
Nice!

I am just starting Jodo after 22 years of doing/teaching Japanese Sword and 7 years of Kyudo (Archery).
Slick

fishfoodie wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:05 pm

At least you're getting the aches in the right part of your body. If you've sore arms, you were using the wrong muscle groups to paddle. You'll get the old six pack back if you keep it up.

Get yourself a buddy when you head out, as it's always good to have someone else around when you're out.
Was quite surprised how many aches I had and how much of a workout I felt I'd had, really good.

Definitely would be keen on a buddy for anything more than going up and down within 10m of the beach. As you can see I've been working a bit on inactionman.
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
dkm57

mat the expat wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:59 am

Do you do Jodo?
Nice!

I am just starting Jodo after 22 years of doing/teaching Japanese Sword and 7 years of Kyudo (Archery).
Would love to try Kyudo. The whole letting the shot go when it is ready appeals as that is the state I used to be able to achieve when I was target shooting in comps.

One of my projects is to make a stick the length, weight and balance of an arming sword. I need to get to the timber suppliers and find some nice oak that I can turn down for the top part with a paracord wrap handle. It won't look anything like a sword but I'll be able to perform the same moves.
mat the expat

dkm57 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:02 am
mat the expat wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:59 am
Nice!

Would love to try Kyudo. The whole letting the shot go when it is ready appeals as that is the state I used to be able to achieve when I was target shooting in comps.

One of my projects is to make a stick the length, weight and balance of an arming sword. I need to get to the timber suppliers and find some nice oak that I can turn down for the top part with a paracord wrap handle. It won't look anything like a sword but I'll be able to perform the same moves.
Kyudo is an absolute head-fuck if you've done any archery before - I've 40 years of Western Archery behind me

I got a great "accolade" from a Japanese sensei after 4 years:

"That isn't archery. Good!"

Lots of Kyudo in the UK if you get round to it

Arming sword weight is fun. My JSA dictates a heavy blade - my sharp is around 1.5kg @ 31 inch blade
Jethro

tabascoboy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:32 am
Insane_Homer wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:11 am

Code: Select all

print (‘Hello World!’)
How everyone started...

10 PRINT "BOLLOCKS"
20 GOTO 10
Two lines and already have a logic bomb, infinite loop there my friend :clap:
inactionman

Slick wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:05 am
fishfoodie wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:05 pm

Was quite surprised how many aches I had and how much of a workout I felt I'd had, really good.

Definitely would be keen on a buddy for anything more than going up and down within 10m of the beach. As you can see I've been working a bit on inactionman.
I am definitely up for that, will ping you.

I asked about sailing at Porty but they're not keen on kids younger than 8 or 9 going out.