Quitting the bottle

Where goats go to escape
Kiwias

C69 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:51 pm Enjoying a Christmas drink today. Not getting shit faced, just having a few drinks.
This for me is a massive, huge positive. I am in total control.
This feels very different and knowing that I can now moderate my drinking and know when enough is enough is a massive break though.
Sorry for the selve indulgence but it means a lot to share and I wasn't sure if I could manage juts a few drinks.
Good to hear. Not wishing to sound a negative note but please be aware that managing a few drinks can lead to confidence in your ability to control the booze, meaning you can convince yourself to have just another one "seeing how it is under control".

Wishing you good luck.
Ymx

C69 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:51 pm Enjoying a Christmas drink today. Not getting shit faced, just having a few drinks.
This feels very different and knowing that I can now moderate my drinking and know when enough is enough is a massive break though.
Sorry for the selve indulgence but it means a lot to share and I wasn't sure if I could manage juts a few drinks.
That’s really great for you, and inspiring. It sounds like you’ve been successful in managing the slippery slope so far.

I think if I were to have a drinking session, I’d probably not enjoy it all, and convince myself I was over over-indulging.
But then at a point later on, I’d do it again with the seal/barrier removed. And then slowly slip back in to heavier and heavier drinking over the months. But my heavy drinking might have been much worse than yours.

Are you seeing anyone about regulation of it, may I ask?
C69

Kiwias wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:40 pm
Good to hear. Not wishing to sound a negative note but please be aware that managing a few drinks can lead to confidence in your ability to control the booze, meaning you can convince yourself to have just another one "seeing how it is under control".

Wishing you good luck.
Thanks, I know I need to work at it and will never be in the place I was 2 years ago. My family are too important for me to fall into my previous ways.
I respect your opinion and you are a real rock.
Tnaks for your insight.
Kiwias

C69 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:17 pm
Kiwias wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:40 pm

Wishing you good luck.
Thanks, I know I need to work at it and will never be in the place I was 2 years ago. My family are too important for me to fall into my previous ways.
I respect your opinion and you are a real rock.
Tnaks for your insight.
And a very merry Christmas to you and your family too!!
Kiwias

Happy New Year to all and best wishes to all on our journey of sobriety.
Ymx

Happy New Year guys !

I’m looking at hitting 1000 days in May I just worked out.
Kiwias

Ymx wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:20 am Happy New Year guys !

I’m looking at hitting 1000 days in May I just worked out.
Keep on truckin', mate.
Tichtheid

I had "just the one" towards the beginning of December and it took off from there - no bad behaviour or blackouts - those were never my thing anyway, just a ton of alcohol, the bottle of single malt that I opened on Christmas day was finished by New Years eve and that was just a smidgeon of what I drank.
4 am on New Years Day I put a lid on it.

So if I count Sunday, this is day six and so far only my sleep is playing up - I have no urge to drink alcohol and will definitely complete Dry January for starters

I’m walking much more and doing half an hour each evening on the static bike which has been covered with stuff in the spare room for a couple of years.
I put a lap top on the table in front of it and watch cycling videos – so far this week I’ve cycled along the California coast, though mountainous Norwegian terrain, through Manhattan and last night I biked along the Seine, across one of the large bridges and up to the Eiffel Tower.
Ymx

Tichtheid wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:03 pm I had "just the one" towards the beginning of December and it took off from there - no bad behaviour or blackouts - those were never my thing anyway, just a ton of alcohol, the bottle of single malt that I opened on Christmas day was finished by New Years eve and that was just a smidgeon of what I drank.

So if I count Sunday, this is day six and so far only my sleep is playing up - I have no urge to drink alcohol and will definitely complete Dry January for starters

I’m walking much more and doing half an hour each evening on the static bike which has been covered with stuff in the spare room for a couple of years.
I put a lap top on the table in front of it and watch cycling videos – so far this week I’ve cycled along the California coast, though mountainous Norwegian terrain, through Manhattan and last night I biked along the Seine, across one of the large bridges and up to the Eiffel Tower.
Good on you mate !

Yeah, it was a bad sleep thing for me too for the first week when I stopped, without the booze tranquilliser. But it gets easier, as I’m sure you know.
Kiwias

Tichtheid wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:03 pm I had "just the one" towards the beginning of December and it took off from there - no bad behaviour or blackouts - those were never my thing anyway, just a ton of alcohol, the bottle of single malt that I opened on Christmas day was finished by New Years eve and that was just a smidgeon of what I drank.

Great to hear of your proactive response and wishing you all the best for this year.
Kiwias

19 years ago I finally acknowledged that I am an alcoholic, listened to my wife, and contacted the local branch of DanShuKai (断酒会; a totally secular form of AA).

Today marks the start of my sobriety, the second best decision of my life.

The rest, as they say, is history.
Monkey Magic

Great work Kiwias- going by the PR threads I can imagine you've helped innumerable people on their own journey in that time as well
Kiwias

Monkey Magic wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:59 am Great work Kiwias- going by the PR threads I can imagine you've helped innumerable people on their own journey in that time as well
I reckon we all help each other in our own different ways. Cheers
Ymx

Slick wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:08 pm
Kiwias wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:58 am The truth is that other people don't care whether or not you are drinking alcohol anywhere near as much as you think they will.
This, this , this. If anything, you get people quietly approaching you asking how you are finding it and telling your their story.
How are the dips going Slick? You still partaking?

The cold showers when on full cold feels like it’s burning at the moment. But I’m out of form.
Slick

Ymx wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:56 pm
Kiwias wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:58 am The truth is that other people don't care whether or not you are drinking alcohol anywhere near as much as you think they will.
This, this , this. If anything, you get people quietly approaching you asking how you are finding it and telling your their story.

The cold showers when on full cold feels like it’s burning at the moment. But I’m out of form.
Yup! Last Sunday was tough after 3 weeks swimming in Oz, but had another yesterday which was a bit easier. Tomorrow should be fun… a frost due overnight which will still be on the ground for the 9.30 dip, water down to about 5.
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Slick

Ymx wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:56 pm

Not so great on the booze, although could be worse. Decided to drink over Christmas and NY in Oz as the brother in law said he had been collecting great wines over the last year for us to try. Tight git hardly got any out.

Anyway, I did drink but an awful lot less than I would have done last year and have stopped again now I’m back. I’m kind of OK with it and also a bit pissed off with myself. Pleased I’ve gone back to abstinence with no issues and plan to do the full year now at least
Ymx

5 !!!

I tried to measure the shower temp, and it was about 14. But I was using a meat thermometer so don’t know the accuracy. So that’s probably tepid to you!!

I’m not worthy.

5 degrees. That’s nuts.
Slick

Well done mate. I’ve been dreading coming back to this thread but this has cheered me up
Last edited by Slick on Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slick

Ymx wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:47 pm 5 !!!

I tried to measure the shower temp, and it was about 14. But I was using a meat thermometer so don’t know the accuracy. So that’s probably tepid to you!!

I’m not worthy.

5 degrees. That’s nuts.
Apparently it gets to its coldest at the end of Feb but I can’t see it getting much lower than this in the sea.

The lochs are a couple of degrees colder and some of them froze over near Christmas- some of the guys cut a hole and did a dip… was quite jealous
Ymx

Slick wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:55 pm

Well done mate. I’ve been dreading coming back to this thread but this has cheered me up
You really shouldn’t have been … Christ.

Everyone is in a different boat. We are all just muddling through this life, and we have a common realisation. Booze has adversely affected us and we are keen to make a lifestyle change because of it.

No judging on this thread.
Tichtheid

Cheers Slick, day 14 now and I've no urge to drink alcohol - I thought watching rugby would be tough but it's not.

I have developed a taste for Fever Tree tonic with ice and lemon and that does me fine.

Kiwias is a bit of an inspiration, I have to say.
Though 19 years seems like a huge mountain, I'm just not going to drink today.
Slick

Ymx wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:09 pm

You really shouldn’t have been … Christ.

Everyone is in a different boat. We are all just muddling through this life, and we have a common realisation. Booze has adversely affected us and we are keen to make a lifestyle change because of it.

No judging on this thread.
Thanks, that’s a nice thing to say. In some ways it’s good though as I feel a lot of accountability coming from this thread and I need that
Ymx

Well, as long as the motivation comes from inside you, and not how you’re lining up to expectations.

I think others watching and counting how much I was drinking actually had a worse effect on me personally. It led me to sneak drinking more, then sneak drinking in private …

Either way, welcome back mate !
Ymx

Just occurred to me. The thread permanently being at the top of the page, does make it hard to forget I guess.
Monkey Magic

Slick wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:58 pm
Ymx wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:47 pm 5 !!!

I’m not worthy.

5 degrees. That’s nuts.
Apparently it gets to its coldest at the end of Feb but I can’t see it getting much lower than this in the sea.

The lochs are a couple of degrees colder and some of them froze over near Christmas- some of the guys cut a hole and did a dip… was quite jealous
I think your auto correct is broken and replaces gobsmacked with jealous.

Impromptu attempt at this today as found out our hot cylinder wasn't working. Most of the words I used stayed at only about 4 letters long
Kiwias

slick

Everybody is welcome here, regardless of their back story or any recent mishaps. Good to see you again.
Kiwias

Tichtheid wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:17 pm

Cheers Slick, day 14 now and I've no urge to drink alcohol - I thought watching rugby would be tough but it's not.

I have developed a taste for Fever Tree tonic with ice and lemon and that does me fine.

Kiwias is a bit of an inspiration, I have to say.
Though 19 years seems like a huge mountain, I'm just not going to drink today.
That is all I have been doing, mate, one day at a time.
Slick

Kiwias wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:18 pm

slick

Everybody is welcome here, regardless of their back story or any recent mishaps. Good to see you again.
Thanks mate, I know.

Genuinely loved the 5 months without it and agonised over dropping it for the 3 weeks. Not sure I massively regret it but very pleased to be back off it
Kiwias

Slick wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:06 pm
Kiwias wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:18 pm

slick

Thanks mate, I know.

Genuinely loved the 5 months without it and agonised over dropping it for the 3 weeks. Not sure I massively regret it but very pleased to be back off it
I may have mentioned it before but one of my support group's longer-serving members described the mentality of someone falling off the wagon and feeling they had gone all the way back to Day One in these terms: "if you are making a long bike trip and you slip and fall, you do not go back to the start. You just get back on the bike and continue from the place where you fell off."

The five months are your asset, proof that you can get on top of the demon.
Canes4Eva

Belated happy new year & all the best for 2023 to you all

After falling off the wagon late Nov/early Dec I somehow got to the stage where I don't miss the booze at all, and the physical health benefits are starting to show.
In terms of mental health it's a lot more challenging for me. Facing up to some not so pleasant realities instead of self-medicating. Definitely the better option though.
Kiwias

Canes4Eva wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:30 am Belated happy new year & all the best for 2023 to you all

After falling off the wagon late Nov/early Dec I somehow got to the stage where I don't miss the booze at all, and the physical health benefits are starting to show.
In terms of mental health it's a lot more challenging for me. Facing up to some not so pleasant realities instead of self-medicating. Definitely the better option though.
This reminds me of a comment by Seneca on the PR bored along the lines of the recovery from alcoholism being a genuine journey of discovery of your true self. And, yes, at times it can be distinctly unpleasant but the benefits are enormous.

Hang in there, mate.
Canes4Eva

Thanks Kiwias, really appreciate what you are doing for all of us here.
yermum

A very inspiring thread and Kiwias you really do give a lot to folk through your posts on it.

I haven't felt that it is an appropriate place for me to post until recently.

My journey is slightly different to quitting the bottle.

I would describe myself as having been a regular drinker.

I would drink three beers four times a week or so, with regular weeks off.

Misspent youth showed me the folly of heavy binging and that hasn't been a feature of my drinking for a while.

I felt that despite the obvious damage to health such regular imbibing could cause I felt I didn't have a "problem" per se.

Over the last 18 months both of my daughters have been diagnosed with ADHD and have started to use medication to manage the symptoms.

Given the genetic component of ADHD (74% heritability) and the slightly concerning number of "traits" I display I got myself tested.

I am now taking stimulant meds to help with production and retention of dopamine and norepinephrine in my brain.

This has completely got rid of any desire to drink alcohol this is a good thing as they dont mix well with booze.

Turns out that undiagnosed ADHD folk have much much higher rates of addiction (various forms booze drugs gambling etc). I feel that I have dodged a bullet.

Anyway best of luck to everyone on there own personal journey
Ymx

yermum wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:14 pm
Spoiler
Show
A very inspiring thread and Kiwias you really do give a lot to folk through your posts on it.

I haven't felt that it is an appropriate place for me to post until recently.

My journey is slightly different to quitting the bottle.

I would describe myself as having been a regular drinker.

I would drink three beers four times a week or so, with regular weeks off.

Misspent youth showed me the folly of heavy binging and that hasn't been a feature of my drinking for a while.

I felt that despite the obvious damage to health such regular imbibing could cause I felt I didn't have a "problem" per se.

Over the last 18 months both of my daughters have been diagnosed with ADHD and have started to use medication to manage the symptoms.

Given the genetic component of ADHD (74% heritability) and the slightly concerning number of "traits" I display I got myself tested.

I am now taking stimulant meds to help with production and retention of dopamine and norepinephrine in my brain.

This has completely got rid of any desire to drink alcohol this is a good thing as they dont mix well with booze.

Turns out that undiagnosed ADHD folk have much much higher rates of addiction (various forms booze drugs gambling etc). I feel that I have dodged a bullet.

Anyway best of luck to everyone on there own personal journey
That’s really interesting stuff. Thanks for that.

What are the key symptoms which resonated with you?
yermum

I have been dxd as ADHD inattentive type. this is the one that usually goes under the radar as it isnt the small boy that cant sit still type.

These are the symptoms:
Often has trouble staying focused on tasks at work, home or play.
Frequently does not pay close attention to details or makes careless mistakes at work or while doing other tasks.
Often has trouble organizing tasks or activities (misses deadlines, disorganized work).
Is easily distracted.
Frequently does not follow through on instructions or fails to complete work assignments, chores or other activities.
Often forgets doing routine chores (like paying bills, returning phone calls, keeping appointments).
Avoids tasks that require long periods of mental focus (preparing reports, filling out forms).
Often loses items needed to complete tasks or activities.
Does not appear to be listening even when spoken to directly.

All of these resonate with me to a greater or lesser extent.

And while having got to my late 40s without treatment I have managed to develop many coping strategies I am like the swan serene on the surface but paddling like fuck underneath. To torture this metaphor a bit more I am a swan with one leg often going in circles and taking twice as long to get anywhere.
Kiwias

Canes4Eva wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:57 pm Thanks Kiwias, really appreciate what you are doing for all of us here.
We are all helping each other on our shared journey and I just happen to have been on it a bit longer, that's all.

But thanks for your kinds words.
Tichtheid

Well, unless I spectacularly fall off the wagon tonight, unlikely on a Tuesday evening when I'm not going anywhere, that's Dry January done and dusted.

I'm going to keep it going for February. My sleep took ages to adjust, three weeks, but it's getting there.

I've found a new drink that I love for the weekend - sinless gin (ha! I typed ginless gin and it autocorrected to sinless, I'll leave it there), tonic, a couple of drops of Angostura bitters, ice and lemon.
Ymx

Tichtheid wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:33 pm Well, unless I spectacularly fall off the wagon tonight, unlikely on a Tuesday evening when I'm not going anywhere, that's Dry January done and dusted.

I'm going to keep it going for February. My sleep took ages to adjust, three weeks, but it's getting there.

I've found a new drink that I love for the weekend - sinless gin (ha! I typed ginless gin and it autocorrected to sinless, I'll leave it there), tonic, a couple of drops of Angostura bitters, ice and lemon.
That’s brilliant mate! Well done you.

I’m loving the brand name sinless gin though!
Kiwias

Tichtheid wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:33 pm Well, unless I spectacularly fall off the wagon tonight, unlikely on a Tuesday evening when I'm not going anywhere, that's Dry January done and dusted.

Sinless Gin has a lovely ring to it. Well done on Dry January and keep on trucking.
Tichtheid

Thanks peeps, this thread is very helpful, almost like a virtual sponsor :thumbup:

The other part of the equation is that I lost nearly 8 pounds this month, without restricting anything in my diet other than beer, in fact I had quite a lot of cake.