6 Nations Round 3 - Scotland v England

Where goats go to escape
JM2K6

Big D wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:58 pm Watching that 1st try, I wonder if the knee on knee contact is what injured Tuipulotu.
It bothers me that just throwing dummy runners into the defender is okay now.
Hal Jordan

Ymx wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:56 pm Holy shite Borthwick is dreadful.

His after match interview.

Just too many handling errors, young guys, …

He seems to suggest England’s only issue was that they were not safe enough.

What a complete loser !!
You may or may not remember his post match comments as England captain after another shithouse loss. He's basically a retreading his previous comments.

Bang average Test player (remember the 0m carry stats?), bang average coach.
tc27

Too many errors from England..kinda admired the intent but the skill levels just weren there first try aside.

Lawrence showing the risk of bringing a player back after a layoff.

Scotland deserve credit for one very nicely created try and two very clinical conversions of Englands mistakes.

Care was shite.
Last edited by tc27 on Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sockwithaticket

TheNatalShark wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:39 pm
sockwithaticket wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:36 pm
TheNatalShark wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:31 pm A yellow... for that?
Yes? It's been that way for years.
Fair enough, as a dump doesn't seem that dangerous, but years?
Tipping a player through the horizontal has been an auto yellow since at least as far back as the 2011 world cup. The only way it doesn't get penalised is if the tackler holds onto the player they've hit and brings them down safely or re-orients them so that they're no longer tipped. Duhan simply let go of a player he'd tipped, that's a cast iron yellow.
Tichtheid

sockwithaticket wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:18 pm
sockwithaticket wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:36 pm

Yes? It's been that way for years.
Tipping a player through the horizontal has been an auto yellow since at least as far back as the 2011 world cup. The only way it doesn't get penalised is if the tackler holds onto the player they've hit and brings them down safely or re-orients them so that they're no longer tipped. Duhan simply let go of a player he'd tipped, that's a cast iron yellow.

I don't think he just let him drop, he was one that got away so to speak, but I agree it was a cast iron yellow - no argument on that, I just hope it's not cited and upgraded, that would be nonsense, but not unlikely unfortunately.
SaintK

JM2K6 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:50 pm Absolute piss. Appreciated England's energy and previously unseen desire to attack, but in doing so they looked exactly like you'd expect from a team coached by Borthwick and Wigglesworth. And I'm sick of hearing about Felix Jones and the amount of time it took for SA to bed in their defence - the attitude is great but we're not SA and Slade, Daly, and co will continue to cough up try after try to any competent attack. It's currently looking like madness.

Negative impact off the bench but that was predictable after Ugo Moronye's comments at half time. Stuart bad, Spencer repeatedly made bad decisions, Fin Smith missed an easy enough kick and shelled one under little pressure, Martin made an excellent carry but immediately fucked it with that knock on from the kick off, etc. Feyi-Waboso looked good, mind.

Ford and Care both made far too many errors with their passing and generally it was pretty rank stuff compared to what you'd expect from a top tier club side, let alone international.

Scotland will be extremely happy with the result if not their own performance, as a team they didn't handle England's pace off the line particularly well. Still, with the disruption of the early HIA, and losing Tuipoloto at half time, it says a lot that it was a pretty comfortable win in the end.

After the Wales game it seemed clear to me England wouldn't win another game in this year's tournament.
Good summary
el capitan

Appoint Borthwick and Wigglesworth. Get Borthwick and Wigglesworth.

Of all the players your team could be the epitome of. Dear oh dear. What have we done to deserve it?
sockwithaticket

Tichtheid wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:22 pm
sockwithaticket wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:18 pm

I don't think he just let him drop, he was one that got away so to speak, but I agree it was a cast iron yellow - no argument on that, I just hope it's not cited and upgraded, that would be nonsense, but not unlikely unfortunately.
Just watched it back, 'let drop' is probably an uncharitable description, but he does have minimal grip and control on Freeman in the fall.

Shouldn't be more than a yellow, but there has been the odd on field decision and disciplinary where the way the tackled player lands being more due to luck than judgement gets talked into a red/ban.
Hal Jordan

tc27 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:17 pm Too many errors from England..kinda admired the intent but the skill levels just weren there first try aside.

Scotland deserve credit for one very nicely created try and two very clinical conversions of Englands mistakes.

Care was shite.
I always felt Care was better off the bench at Test level, when his energy and sniping worked against a more unstructured defence.

Actually, do any England scrum halves snipe any more?
ASMO

Hal Jordan wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:43 pm
tc27 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:17 pm Too many errors from England..kinda admired the intent but the skill levels just weren there first try aside.

Care was shite.
I always felt Care was better off the bench at Test level, when his energy and sniping worked against a more unstructured defence.

Randall
sockwithaticket

Mitchell occasionally snipes, but it just seems to be something England coach the 9s not to do.
petej

ASMO wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:53 pm
Hal Jordan wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:43 pm

Care was shite.

Randall
Ben white? Think under Borthwick Tigers replaced white with Wigglesworth. Jvp did when he first came through.
Tichtheid

This is without watching it back, but my impression during the match was that England looked to shithouse their way into the game rather than aggressively go after Scotland's lead, they chose to slow the game down and stop Scotland's momentum instead of looking to build their own.

It was a negative approach.
JM2K6

Don't be greedy, you can't have the moral victory on top of the actual victory
petej

Tichtheid wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:08 pm This is without watching it back, but my impression during the match that England looked to shithouse their way into the game rather than aggressively go after Scotland's lead, they chose to slow the game down and stop Scotland's momentum instead of looking to build their own.

Total bollocks. England tried to play more than Scotland, mostly ineffectively, self combusted and Scotland executed well on the England errors (coming from trying to play and general ineptitude).
Tichtheid

petej wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:15 pm
Tichtheid wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:08 pm This is without watching it back, but my impression during the match that England looked to shithouse their way into the game rather than aggressively go after Scotland's lead, they chose to slow the game down and stop Scotland's momentum instead of looking to build their own.

Total bollocks. England tried to play more than Scotland, mostly ineffectively, self combusted and Scotland executed well on the England errors (coming from trying to play and general ineptitude).

Total bollocks, eh?

I don't think that will hold up after a re-watch of that second half.

@JM, I'm not looking for a moral victory, I just think England played the wrong tactics
JM2K6

Tichtheid wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:21 pm

Total bollocks, eh?

@JM, I'm not looking for a moral victory, I just think England played the wrong tactics
It's okay, I was just making a joke anyway.

I'm not sure I could accurately describe the approach of either team, but it's clear that England's primary option for winning the game was the defence, so...
Slick

I actually said similar to Tichtheaid at the stadium. Just when they needed to take the game to Scotland they slowed it down and kept kicking it away
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
petej

Tichtheid wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:21 pm

Total bollocks, eh?

Generous to say we had tactics. We have no identity as a team. You have an inherently conservative coaching team trying to coach a less conservative game plan because a lot of talent coming through doesn't fit with a conservative game plan.
topofthemoon

Jim Lahey wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:31 pm
Paddington Bear wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:30 pm How are we losing this ffs
There must be a record number of knockons from both sides in a half of rugby.

English backline not clicking, apart from the try.
I made it 14 knock-ons in the first half: 6 by Scotland and 8 by England.
topofthemoon

Finn Russell's last 7 games v England:

2024 Murrayfield - Scotland win;
2023 Twickenham - Scotland win;
2022 Murrayfield - Scotland win;
2021 Twickenham - Scotland win;
2019 Twickeham - Scotland draw;
2018 Twickenham - Barbarians win;
2018 Murrayfield - Scotland win.
petej

topofthemoon wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:34 pm Finn Russell's last 7 games v England:

His quality and execution in the key moments is arguably the difference between the teams.
JM2K6

I'd argue they have multiple points of difference. One of them scored three tries today.
Big D

JM2K6 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:48 pm I'd argue they have multiple points of difference. One of them scored three tries today.
One thing that surprised me today in a pleasant way was that Cummings was the most physical second row.on the pitch for large spells. Dominant tackles and a physical presence.
Slick

That was comfortably the worst 20 minutes of international rugby I’ve seen from Scotland in a long, long time at the start and we gifted England a 10 point start. Being completely honest though, I never really got nervous. Even 10 points up I thought England were terrible and we would get better, but they wouldn’t. England are a really poor team.

I just look at the teamsheet and see the same guys that seem to have been there forever and just are not good enough any more - Genge, Cole, Itoje, Underhill, Care, Ford, Daly, Slade - but they just keep getting picked.

I thought were physically better and just took the chances despite being off our game.

Finn was a bit out of sorts I thought but still had the game turning moments.

Anyway, don’t want to come across as gloating and I think everything I’ve said has been said by our English friends
petej

JM2K6 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:48 pm I'd argue they have multiple points of difference. One of them scored three tries today.
And that would be fair but Russell nailed all of his kicks including the cross field one for the try.

Edit: I'm just cranky because I'm utterly fed up with the shit served up by England.
Last edited by petej on Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slick

And of course as predicted by every Scot, that France game gets more and more annoying
Punter15

Slick wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:58 pm And of course as predicted by every Scot, that France game gets more and more annoying
We are 3 from 3, and don’t be saying different.
JM2K6

Slick wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:56 pm I just look at the teamsheet and see the same guys that seem to have been there forever and just are not good enough any more - Genge, Cole, Itoje, Underhill, Care, Ford, Daly, Slade - but they just keep getting picked.
To be fair, Care was brilliant at the world cup off the bench and has continued that this tournament, you just don't want him to start matches. Ford certainly didn't look past it in the world cup.

Genge likewise has been giving good impact off the bench. Underhill has been anonymous this 6n but actually had a very good game. Itoje was a big thorn in the Scottish side for much of the game, very visibly involved and the first to a lot of loose ball. Cole is a thousand years old but put in a shift today.

Generally I think our pack was decent - the problem was the chaos in attack with the backs being culpable, and Ford + Care making a lot of poor passes, plus the obvious defensive issues with the blitz.

There's obviously a need to refresh the team but if you took today in isolation I don't think you'd pick on Cole, Itoje, Underhill without existing priors, yknow?
Yr Alban

topofthemoon wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:34 pm Finn Russell's last 7 games v England:

Wow. That’s quite a stat. Approaching Sexton’s record v Scotland.
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
Blackmac

There were quite a few times where they could and should have thrown it wide but decided to truck it up. Even as a Scot it was frustrating to watch as you felt they were missing opportunities to blast into contact.
fishfoodie

I just want to rewatch the match with the Benny Hill music on.

Both sides made an appalling number of errors, but the difference was that when England fucked up, the Scots had a half back with ambition, & a back with the verve to capitalize, while England had ...

Big D

fishfoodie wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:41 pm

Both sides made an appalling number of errors, but the difference was that when England fucked up, the Scots had a half back with ambition, & a back with the verve to capitalize, while England had ...

It is odd seeing Scotland become a team that can win when playing below their best. I'm used to seeing us lose when playing well and losing by more when playing poorly!
fishfoodie

Big D wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:08 pm
fishfoodie wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:41 pm

It is odd seeing Scotland become a team that can win when playing below their best. I'm used to seeing us lose when playing well and losing by more when playing poorly!
There was a degree of pragmatism that is often absent from Scottish teams !

Kicking for the corner is all very well & good, but this evening Scotland just took the points on offer, & didn't fuck about with their supporters hearts as much as usual
dpedin

I honestly have no idea what England are trying to do most of the time when they have the ball and watching them I don't think they know either! To be fair they scored a good try in the first 5 mins when Scotland decided to stand back and let them have a free run but after that they just looked lost and confused. Scotland played poorly but still managed to look better than England and won comfortably in the end.

I thought this would be the 6Ns when Borthwick et al decided to refresh the team and bed in some new younger guys post RWC and build for the future. However we get a 37 year old Care, subbed by a 31 year old Spencer, a 30 year old Ford, 30 year old Slade and a 31 year old Daly - all of whom were dreadful. Add in a clearly undercooked Lawrence and a confidence lacking Freeman and it is no wonder England backs were so poor. Also if Marler and Cole aren't winning the scrums then you have to wonder what else they offer around the park, both offer little and are very slow in defence. Genge just wanders around like an angry man trying to win the game all by himself and Stuart promises little and delivers exactly that. Also given the sad circumstances George shouldn't have played, even though he was desperate to play.

England have some very good young players who are desperate for their chance but are not picked, get 10 minutes at the end of the game or when selected suffer from the ineptitude of the 'senior' players and get blamed and dropped. The likes of Care, Spencer, Ford, Slade, Daly, Marler, Cole etc have all had their time and it is clear they aren't the future for England. It is time for Borthwick to take a chance and bring in younger guys and give them the experience they need.
Slick

JM2K6 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:16 pm
Slick wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:56 pm I just look at the teamsheet and see the same guys that seem to have been there forever and just are not good enough any more - Genge, Cole, Itoje, Underhill, Care, Ford, Daly, Slade - but they just keep getting picked.
To be fair, Care was brilliant at the world cup off the bench and has continued that this tournament, you just don't want him to start matches. Ford certainly didn't look past it in the world cup.

Genge likewise has been giving good impact off the bench. Underhill has been anonymous this 6n but actually had a very good game. Itoje was a big thorn in the Scottish side for much of the game, very visibly involved and the first to a lot of loose ball. Cole is a thousand years old but put in a shift today.

Generally I think our pack was decent - the problem was the chaos in attack with the backs being culpable, and Ford + Care making a lot of poor passes, plus the obvious defensive issues with the blitz.

There's obviously a need to refresh the team but if you took today in isolation I don't think you'd pick on Cole, Itoje, Underhill without existing priors, yknow?
Maybe it was just a slightly different view from the stands but I didn’t really notice any of those 3 - maybe Itoje in the first 20 mins but nothing much after that.
JM2K6

Slick wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:25 pm

Maybe it was just a slightly different view from the stands but I didn’t really notice any of those 3 - maybe Itoje in the first 20 mins but nothing much after that.
Probably because you're Scottish. I take it at face value that the Scottish players being praised beyond the obvious ones had good games, because I was too busy watching the England players to notice
Tichtheid

JM2K6 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:33 pm
Slick wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:25 pm

Probably because you're Scottish. I take it at face value that the Scottish players being praised beyond the obvious ones had good games, because I was too busy watching the England players to notice

Personally I thought there were a lot of 6 out of 10s in the Scotland side, performance-wise. Finn was around 7 or 8 for him, with Duhan 9. No one lower than that for Scotland.
Yr Alban

Was slightly fascinated that one of the England replacements was called Cunningham-South. Because Cunninghame South is a Scottish Parliament constituency (and was a Westminster constituency too before the numbers were reduced).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunningha ... stituency)
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
petej

Worth saying that at 9 England are down 3 players in Mitchell, quirke and van poortfliet I would expect to start in front of care.